I'm connected to the internet but can't go anywhere besides YouTube and Facebook

`Rocky

Recently I got a new router and modem combo I am hardwired into my PC with Cat6 cable and every single time I have to restart the router my PC does this thing for a few hours where won't let me go anywhere besides Google Facebook or YouTube I've tried changing my ipv4 port and uninstalling and reinstalling the driver for the Cat6 cable but nothing is working right now any thoughts?

ehh one long shot of an idea. Bring up CMD as ADMIN, and type ipconfig /flushdns. Just a thought, don't think it will work though but worth a try. Setting local IP to dynamic instead of a static one may help too.

changing your DNS resolver to 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1?

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

3 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

changing your DNS resolver to 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1?

Yup already tryed 

Net Neutrality has been repealed... 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

8 minutes ago, tuunade98 said:

ehh one long shot of an idea. Bring up CMD as ADMIN, and type ipconfig /flushdns. Just a thought, don't think it will work though but worth a try. Setting local IP to dynamic instead of a static one may help too.

That totally just fixed it when I flushed the dns 

1 hour ago, tuunade98 said:

Nvm it's still totally broken I had to go afk for a while and when I launched steam it says I'm offline and I can't go to any sites now

From what I can see it might be the same problem I had.
what fixed it for me ;)

?????

Do you remember the
21st night of September?
Love was changing the minds of pretenders
While chasing the clouds away

Our hearts were ringing
In the key that our souls were singing.
As we danced in the night,
Remember how the stars stole the night away

Just now, Dankk said:

From what I can see it might be the same problem I had.
what fixed it for me ;)

make sure to restart if it still does not work!

?????

Do you remember the
21st night of September?
Love was changing the minds of pretenders
While chasing the clouds away

Our hearts were ringing
In the key that our souls were singing.
As we danced in the night,
Remember how the stars stole the night away

13 minutes ago, Dankk said:

make sure to restart if it still does not work!

It didn't fix it 

Is the router configured to hand out IPv4 addresses? Is DHCP for IPv4 enabled on your computer?

Edit:

It's worth mentioning that if you've lost connection with a DNS server that you'll fail to access websites via domain address. Your computer will cache webite IP addresses while running so it doesn't have to keep querying the DNS server every time a new connection is made. At least until the system is restarted or the websites IP changes (which happens).

What this means is your computer is likely connecting to those websites because it knows their IP addresses so it skips the DNS query. Other websites it doesn't so it tried to do a DNS lookup but it has no addresses to go off of so you get an error such an ns_lookup_error or no_dns, etc. This is why Dankk suggested what they did.

You should make sure you computer sees your DNS servers. You can use the command prompt with the command ipconfig /all however if you have no IPv4 address then you probably have no IPv4 DNS servers which might explain why you're having this problem.

28 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Is the router configured to hand out IPv4 addresses? Is DHCP for IPv4 enabled on your computer?

Edit:

It's worth mentioning that if you've lost connection with a DNS server that you'll fail to access websites via domain address. Your computer will cache webite IP addresses while running so it doesn't have to keep querying the DNS server every time a new connection is made. At least until the system is restarted or the websites IP changes (which happens).

What this means is your computer is likely connecting to those websites because it knows their IP addresses so it skips the DNS query. Other websites it doesn't so it tried to do a DNS lookup but it has no addresses to go off of so you get an error such an ns_lookup_error or no_dns, etc. This is why Dankk suggested what they did.

You should make sure you computer sees your DNS servers. You can use the command prompt with the command ipconfig /all however if you have no IPv4 address then you probably have no IPv4 DNS servers which might explain why you're having this problem.

Then how would I go by getting a ipv4 if I don't have one 

27 minutes ago, `Rocky said:

Then how would I go by getting a ipv4 if I don't have one 

Find your network adapters. If you're on windows 10 you should be able to go to All Settings > Network & Internet > Change Adapter Options, this will pop up a window called Network Connections. Right click the adapter that connects you to your network and go to Properties > Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), make sure the bubble that says "Obtain an IP address automatically" is checked. Now go back to the Network Connections window. Try right clicking on the adapter and clicking Disable (this will interrupt your network connection) then right-click > Enable. This will make your computer query your router for an IPv4 address. You can check if it was successful by going into CMD and using the ipconfig command. If it worked then DNS servers should have come with it (can be checked with ipconfig /all). If not then the router needs to be setup with some DNS servers.

I'm hazarding a guess that the modem/router combo that's new is the problem, and hasn't been configured properly. Try the above suggestions first though.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini