About to swap out motherboard, but have some questions/concerns

I'm about to upgrade my computer from a 5820K to a 8600K. 

I've been looking around the internet and I found a video that reminded me of the Windows 10 "Reactivate windows" thing. I remember hearing that they made this easier, but I would still like it if someone could tell me how this should go, and what I should do. 

Also, I came across this one video that says I should remove any and all drivers pertaining to my current CPU, Motherboard, and other things. Is this a real thing? 

Here's my current build and the upgrades I plan on installing:
Current build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/GoldForest/saved/jg6hMp

Upgrades: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/GoldForest/saved/TX4zMp

I plan on upgrading within an hour or so, so quick would be appreciated. 

When changing motherboards and chipsets, you should do a fresh, clean full install of windows. You can use a tool to get your windows key if you dont know it and attempt to use it to re-activate with the new motherboard.  You can use this: https://www.howtogeek.com/206329/how-to-find-your-lost-windows-or-office-product-keys/ 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

41 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

I'm about to upgrade my computer from a 5820K to a 8600K. 

I've been looking around the internet and I found a video that reminded me of the Windows 10 "Reactivate windows" thing. I remember hearing that they made this easier, but I would still like it if someone could tell me how this should go, and what I should do. 

Also, I came across this one video that says I should remove any and all drivers pertaining to my current CPU, Motherboard, and other things. Is this a real thing? 

Here's my current build and the upgrades I plan on installing:
Current build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/GoldForest/saved/jg6hMp

Upgrades: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/GoldForest/saved/TX4zMp

I plan on upgrading within an hour or so, so quick would be appreciated. 

Everything is ok. As long as you have the windows activation key from when you first activated windows it will allow you to use it again. The thing about the hard drives is 100% false. It will update itself.

idk tbh

16 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

When changing motherboards and chipsets, you should do a fresh, clean full install of windows. You can use a tool to get your windows key if you dont know it and attempt to use it to re-activate with the new motherboard.  You can use this: https://www.howtogeek.com/206329/how-to-find-your-lost-windows-or-office-product-keys/ 

I have a lot of stuff downloaded though, about 1.5 TB of games and school work. 

8 minutes ago, Greenish said:

Everything is ok. As long as you have the windows activation key from when you first activated windows it will allow you to use it again. The thing about the hard drives is 100% false. It will update itself.

So I don't need to uninstall drivers for the current MB?

4 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

You can do that if you want although it is not required. Your new motherboard wont use your old drivers.

idk tbh

5 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Back up whats important. Games can be re-downloaded. Reason its recommended to always install fresh is due to driver conflicts. it can, and likely will cause problems. Or get a new drive that you can install the windows onto and use the old drive as storage. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, Greenish said:

You can do that if you want although it is not required. Your new motherboard wont use your old drivers.

I heard the drivers can conflict with each other. 

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

Back up whats important. Games can be re-downloaded. Reason its recommended to always install fresh is due to driver conflicts. it can, and likely will cause problems. Or get a new drive that you can install the windows onto and use the old drive as storage. 

If I unplug everything but my OS SSD, and then do a clean install, then replug everything, will that work?

Just now, GoldForest said:

If I unplug everything but my OS SSD, and then do a clean install, then replug everything, will that work?

Reinstalling on your SSD will/should not affect your stuff stored on a separate storage device, such as a different hard drive. But to be safe, unplugging it would give you that extra layer of protection. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

Reinstalling on your SSD will/should not affect your stuff stored on a separate storage device, such as a different hard drive. But to be safe, unplugging it would give you that extra layer of protection. 

as they say better safe than sorry.

idk tbh

2 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Like I said you can uninstall them if you want but 99% of the time it is not necessary. It shouldn't cause conflict but it wont hurt to uninstall

idk tbh

4 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Okay, thank. This may be a stupid question, but how do I clean install? I do have the disk and product key, but when I had my computer built, I was too nervous about building it myself, the guy used his own disk/usb drive I believe, but used my key. Will that be a problem?

3 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Okay, thank. This may be a stupid question, but how do I clean install? I do have the disk and product key, but when I had my computer built, I was too nervous about building it myself, the guy used his own disk/usb drive I believe, but used my key. Will that be a problem?

Go download the Win 10 ISO media creation tool here: https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows10 put it on a USB stick and then once created reboot and select it as your boot device and it will then bring you to the windows install. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

21 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Go download the Win 10 ISO media creation tool here: https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows10 put it on a USB stick and then once created reboot and select it as your boot device and it will then bring you to the windows install. 

Do you have a recommended video which shows what to do?

Also, will using the disk not work, or is it recommended to use a USB Stick? 

Also, if I back up Program files and program files (x86) will that safe the old drivers?

4 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Do you have a recommended video which shows what to do?

Also, will using the disk not work, or is it recommended to use a USB Stick? 

Also, if I back up Program files and program files (x86) will that safe the old drivers?

Most people who install windows either put the Media Creation tool on a SSD (boot drive) or USB and yes saving Program files will include drivers

idk tbh