What is the best language for web development?

Maks112v

What is the best language for web development?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Back End

• Java
    • PHP
    • Ruby
    • Node JS
    • Python
    • Perl
  2. 2. Front End

• Angular.js
    • jQuery
    • React Js

What is the best language or framework for web development? 

On 27/04/2018 at 2:41 AM, Maks112v said:

What is the best language or framework for web development? 

HTML is the real winner

idk tbh

I'm somewhat surprised Java scored the highest out of the options provided Java is usually attributed to legacy stuff so I am interested to learn some reasons why it's more than just that (some examples of web apps showing off some of its capability would be nice if possible). I would of expected PHP or Node.js to win.

Comparing Angular, React & jQuery seems odd. For example if you want fairly quick websites/web apps that are good jQuery is a great option. If you want a very rich user experience that is well optimised Angular/React are both great options, typically used in bigger projects.

3 minutes ago, fringie said:

I'm somewhat surprised Java scored the highest out of the options provided Java is usually attributed to legacy stuff so I am interested to learn some reasons why it's more than just that (some examples of web apps showing off some of its capability would be nice if possible). I would have expected PHP or Node.js to win.

No idea why you think that, since PHP is older than Java. Spring MVC is one of the most popular web dev frameworks rn.

16 minutes ago, DtrollMC said:

No idea why you think that, since PHP is older than Java. Spring MVC is one of the most popular web dev frameworks rn.

PHP is one the most popular server side languages (according to this article over 80% of web apps used PHP in some way in 2016, I've commonly heard similar statistics also). It's commonly used by small businesses/freelancers (of course others too but those are the ones that come to mind). In my opinion Wordpress really made it get huge.

So far the reasons I'm seeing is it's free, mature & portable. The other reasons aren't really unique compared with its competitor solutions. Can you expand on whether this view of Spring MVC is correct or not (if not, why)?

Best language

2 hours ago, fringie said:

I'm somewhat surprised Java scored the highest out of the options provided Java is usually attributed to legacy stuff so I am interested to learn some reasons why it's more than just that (some examples of web apps showing off some of its capability would be nice if possible). I would of expected PHP or Node.js to win.

Comparing Angular, React & jQuery seems odd. For example if you want fairly quick websites/web apps that are good jQuery is a great option. If you want a very rich user experience that is well optimised Angular/React are both great options, typically used in bigger projects.

Java applets still exists....

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 hour ago, wasab said:

Best language

Java applets still exists....

Java for a back-end or using JSPs/JSFs is still valid but please don't try to use applets, they were always a terrible technology and user experience.

3 hours ago, fringie said:

Hacking together a Java back end is pretty easy and it's heavily supported within big companies. I know PHP is supposed to be popular but of the more than a dozen clients I've had, not a single one used it - is it popular as a hobbyists/creatives?

Web Developer and Java contractor

Just now, programmer said:

Java for a back-end or using JSPs/JSFs is still valid but please don't try to use applets, they were always a terrible technology and user experience.

I was just about to post the same thing *crying emoji*

4 hours ago, programmer said:

Hacking together a Java back end is pretty easy and it's heavily supported within big companies. I know PHP is supposed to be popular but of the more than a dozen clients I've had, not a single one used it - is it popular as a hobbyists/creatives?

Thank you for the info, very interesting.

PHP seems to be used where the needs are a bit different. It has very good performance (although there are a lot of bad implementations of it), Wordpress seems to be a big portion of its user base, Drupal is in PHP (PHP based CMS), SiteCore is also PHP (also a PHP based CMS), PHP is fast to implement & easy to configure/setup and use. Naturally this means it's good for freelancers & small business  which is the majority of where it's used from my understanding although sometimes it's used by larger organisations but I don't think it's a good choice there personally (purely speculative on my part, MVC PHP isn't that uncommon & allegedly newer versions are much better, facebook uses php as part of its backend stack so I'm sure it's more capable in the ways I think it might not be).

Personally, I've met a few people who actively used it some examples that I can remember are:

- Wordpress site for a small jewellery business

- Ex colleague of mine used it in his freelance work, he did front-end work for ASP.NET MVC as his job (this made me decide to do a bit of freelance work myself using PHP, it was very a brief stint though)

- Two different trainers (from different companies, one permanent and one a freelancer), one I have no idea what he used it in but he did talk about using it in previous job which was in South America & the other used it in a project he was doing to do with video archiving/annotations that he was going to licence to educational institutes

My previous role meant I got to interact with a variety of 100+ & 1000+ employee organisations/companies and there were a fair few that used PHP in some way. To what degree I don't know as we didn't interact with any of it as we were Microsoft stack (for example one client I know they use Wordpress & I'm fairly sure they have a web app using Drupal or SiteCore but I'm not sure if they used PHP outside of that context as all that stuff was unrelated to the CRM stuff we were doing).

Take what I've said with a grain of salt though, I'm not well versed in PHP in the slightest & it's not something I typically look into.

After many PHP frameworks I'm now using Laravel. Next to that I also know my ways around JavaScript/NodeJS.

Learning PHP as your first language is a bad idea by the way. Yes, I learned that the hard way.

PHP is loosely typed and allow programmers to write bad code and learn bad habits.

Those bad habits are still haunting me. 

CPU: i7-12700KF Grill Plate Edition // MOBO: Asus Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 // RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 FE // PSU: Corsair RM750i // CASE: Thermaltake Core X71 // BOOT: Samsung Evo 960 500GB

STORAGE: WD PC SN530 512GB + Samsung Evo 860 500GB // COOLING: Full custom loop // DISPLAY: LG 34UC89G-B

10 hours ago, Limecat86 said:

After many PHP frameworks I'm now using Laravel. Next to that I also know my ways around JavaScript/NodeJS.

Learning PHP as your first language is a bad idea by the way. Yes, I learned that the hard way.

PHP is loosely typed and allow programmers to write bad code and learn bad habits.

Those bad habits are still haunting me. 

I can definitely agree. PHP was one of the first languages I learned, and I'm still scared of the include() and require() functions.

Sadly, I can't vote in this poll. Neither C nor Common Lisp are among the possible options and none of the available options is "the best language for web development".

If the question can be rephrased as "which of those is the least horrible language for web development?", I'd vote Perl. edit: I just did. Please take the 1 vote with my arguments in mind.

Write in C.

Please stop with these useless questions, we already have in every thread where someones asks which language to start with problems.

Want to find the "best" of them, read into them do your own research instead of getting people their opinion about their fav language.

Quote or mention me if not feel ignored 

JavaScript for the front JavaScript for the back.

All hail JavaScript.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´