My rights when EK gpu block leaks?

Hi, I am from Norway so excuse the terrible English, I would appreciate some help on this manner. The short story is that my EK gpu waterblock started to leak and destroyed most of my pc, so I would like to hear from people that have been in similar situations.

I bought a second hand gpu (gtx970 gainward), it came with a EK waterblock, the previous owner bought it new and used it very little as he bought the 970 right before the gtx1080 launch, all the "warranty stickers" were there, so I assumed that the seals were good as the stickers would have been destroyed if the previous owner had opened the waterblock.

A couple of weeks ago after I came home from a 2 weeks holiday and I noticed water inside the case when the pc was off, I placed blue tape on all water cooling parts. It was clear that it was the seals (gpu block) on the opposite side of the io-shield that were leaking.  

I disassembled my pc and put my all my components in rice bags for about 8 days, I didn’t try to disassemble the psu as I was afraid of being electrocuted, so just had it upside down for 8 days, when I tried to plug it in to the electricity my home circuit protection started to cut off.

I have since bought a new psu and tried to reassemble the pc with air cooling, but with no luck as it won’t boot, I have borrowed some parts from friends and did some testing, because of the leak my gigabite itx h97, gtx970, evga650w, and one of the corsair-8gb-2400mhz died.

So, I have to basically sell my i7-4770 and the other 8gb stick, and buy a second-hand board combo, because an itx board that takes my old cpu cost like 200 euros.

I am not so entitled that I believe that EK is responsible for reimbursing me for these destroyed parts, however, I would like to know what my rights are before contacting their customer support, do I even have rights, I bought the water block used and the gtx970 is 3 years old, maybe I shouldn’t bother them at all.  

Yeah, at least water cooling was fun while it lasted, not sure if I’m going to do it again though, going to be fun mowing lawns in the summer holiday to get a new gaming rig, well deserved for being a smarty that uses a 3 year old second hand gpu-block.  

So, your country/province/state might have a consumer protection law that might help you with this. The problem is, they might just say you didn't install it properly. EKWB might have a warranty, but it could be a "Look, you agreed that there is a risk in using our products, so there is nothing we can do." It depends on their Terms Of Service. Try sending them an email. There is no harm is trying.

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

As far as I am concerned you have the right to be upset.... and that's it... second hand parts and all... unless your local legislature has specifics on the matter I doubt EKWB will be forced into doing any thing and the fact you didn't even buy it from them yourself certainly doesn't help.

But as mentioned above, getting in contact with them and all is priceless so just try it out.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

7 minutes ago, Denned said:

You or your parents might have some insurance that could cover eletronics like this.

I have my own insurance, its cheap as it is for students, however we have something called egenandel, basically if you make a claim they will remove 230 euro as a fee, that’s low, for non-students it’s like 450 euro, it’s there so that people won’t make claims when small damages accrue.

I did contact my insurance and they would pay the equivalent of second hand parts, so I would maybe get 100-200 euro back after they take the 230 euro. Not worth it because I have to pay 30 euro more per year the rest of my study.

44 minutes ago, King_of_Oz said:

So, your country/province/state might have a consumer protection law that might help you with this. The problem is, they might just say you didn't install it properly. EKWB might have a warranty, but it could be a "Look, you agreed that there is a risk in using our products, so there is nothing we can do." It depends on their Terms Of Service. Try sending them an email. There is no harm is trying.

technically my rights are the same if I buy new or second-hand here in Norway, the law says that any manufacture is responsible for their product even if the warranty is over until a reasonable lifetime is over, so like 10 years for a fridge or 5 for a laptop or phone. But there is no reason going the “the law” says route as they would be only compelled to give me a replacement gpu block which I have no gpu to use on, so I’m going for “I am a poor student that got a low jab from your product” route, maybe I would get the blocks worth in amazon gift card so that I can buy a psu or something.

42 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

As far as I am concerned you have the right to be upset.... and that's it... second hand parts and all... unless your local legislature has specifics on the matter I doubt EKWB will be forced into doing any thing and the fact you didn't even buy it from them yourself certainly doesn't help.

But as mentioned above, getting in contact with them and all is priceless so just try it out.

technically my rights are the same if I buy new or second-hand here in Norway, the law says that any manufacture is responsible for their product even if the warranty is over until a reasonable lifetime is over, so like 10 years for a fridge or 5 for a laptop or phone. But there is no reason going the “the law” says route as they would be only compelled to give me a replacement gpu block which I have no gpu to use on, so I’m going for “I am a poor student that got a low jab from your product” route, maybe I would get the blocks worth in amazon gift card so that I can buy a psu or something.

1 minute ago, dndfm said:

Alright. Sounds like a plan. Wish you best of luck.

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.