Whats the status of using Popcorn Time?

Kokomo
Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,

Yeah, it's illegal. It's best not to use it at all. 

EDIT: Technically, the Popcorn Time app itself isn't illegal, but the vast majority of the content is copyrighted. So you can use the app for streaming copyright free content, but as soon as you stream copyrighted content through the app, you're breaking the law. Also, since it uses P2P and the Bittorrent protocol, you're also going to be sharing pirated content, so you're breaking that law as well. 

A few days ago my friend recommended  Popcorn Time to me but is it Illegal? I am based in the uk if that matters. I know that you can stream as well as download the films and tv shows or does it count as regular torrents? Is it best for me to use a VPN when using Popcorn Time? 

Current rig

NZXT S340 Elite

Kraken x62

Gigabyte Aorus WIFI Pro 

32gb 3000mhz corsair Vengeance RGB PRO  

I7 9700k

Rtx 2080 asus strix

1tb samsung evo ssd

1tb wd hdd

samsung 27” 1440p 144hz monitor

EDIT: Technically, the Popcorn Time app itself isn't illegal, but the vast majority of the content is copyrighted. So you can use the app for streaming copyright free content, but as soon as you stream copyrighted content through the app, you're breaking the law. Also, since it uses P2P and the Bittorrent protocol, you're also going to be sharing pirated content, so you're breaking that law as well. 

Just now, Supportsneedlove said:

Do you have to pay for this service?

no

Current rig

NZXT S340 Elite

Kraken x62

Gigabyte Aorus WIFI Pro 

I7 9700k

Rtx 2080 asus strix

1tb samsung evo ssd

1tb wd hdd

1 minute ago, OP_ said:

no

Then it's most likely Piracy i'd advice to stay away from it as well as deleting this tread.

It's only a question of time before it get's locked.

1 minute ago, Supportsneedlove said:

Then it's most likely Piracy i'd advice to stay away from it as well as deleting this tread.

Well i just wanted to know if it was safe or not Didn't want to cause any problems :/

Current rig

NZXT S340 Elite

Kraken x62

Gigabyte Aorus WIFI Pro 

I7 9700k

Rtx 2080 asus strix

1tb samsung evo ssd

1tb wd hdd

1 minute ago, OP_ said:

Well i just wanted to know if it was safe or not Didn't want to cause any problems :/

It's not a problem but why not save the mods some time, yeah?

20 minutes ago, Supportsneedlove said:

It's not a problem but why not save the mods some time, yeah?

Talking about piracy itself isn't against forum rules though. Neither is talking about Popcorn Time as it's not illegal by itself (similar in a way to talking about torrents and Kodi). 

Offering advice on how to get pirated content is against forum rules, but asking whether something is considered piracy or not isn't. No reason for the mods to delete the thread really

49 minutes ago, Supportsneedlove said:

Mods don't normally lock threads like this. If instructions on how to use it were given, that would be against the rules

1 minute ago, Abyss Gaming said:

Mods don't normally lock threads like this. If instructions on how to use it were given, that would be against the rules

25 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Talking about piracy itself isn't against forum rules though. Neither is talking about Popcorn Time as it's not illegal by itself (similar in a way to talking about torrents and Kodi). 

Offering advice on how to get pirated content is against forum rules, but asking whether something is considered piracy or not isn't. No reason for the mods to delete the thread really

i dun goofed

1 hour ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Thanks for the help, was slightly confused.

Current rig

NZXT S340 Elite

Kraken x62

Gigabyte Aorus WIFI Pro 

I7 9700k

Rtx 2080 asus strix

1tb samsung evo ssd

1tb wd hdd