Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So I have my dad's girlfriends laptop here and it has some issues when trying to boot into Windows. The issue was that when she tried to boot into Windows it would blue screen and say "boot device inaccessible". I booted into the troubleshoot thing and tried to repair the install of Windows but with no luck. I also tried using command prompt to run chkdsk and all sorts of stuff like that. After being told the drive is write protected a bunch of times I figured I'd just reinstall windows 10 so I grabbed my USB and slapped a copy of Windows 10 on it but the USB drive wouldn't show up in the bios. Also previously the HDD wasn't showing up as a bootable device under the boot priority menu in the bios but suddenly it started showing up. Now that it shows up sometimes it boots and other times it goes back to the "boot device inaccessible" error that it had before. I'm not sure why the drive is showing up now but it is. I'm thinking the drive is bad and it's throwing errors or something but while it's booted into Windows everything seems fine except when I restart it starts giving me problems again. I know the os isn't corrupted because I can boot into it sometimes but I also had a hard time finding the os in bootrec.

I'm not sure why it started booting again but the issue isn't fixed and I'm not sure what to do now as I've tried just about everything I can think of and it seems to me that there's an issue with the drive but reports say no errors detected.

Any ideas?

3 minutes ago, Kilobytez95 said:

So I have my dad's girlfriends laptop here and it has some issues when trying to boot into Windows. The issue was that when she tried to boot into Windows it would blue screen and say "boot device inaccessible". I booted into the troubleshoot thing and tried to repair the install of Windows but with no luck. I also tried using command prompt to run chkdsk and all sorts of stuff like that. After being told the drive is write protected a bunch of times I figured I'd just reinstall windows 10 so I grabbed my USB and slapped a copy of Windows 10 on it but the USB drive wouldn't show up in the bios. Also previously the HDD wasn't showing up as a bootable device under the boot priority menu in the bios but suddenly it started showing up. Now that it shows up sometimes it boots and other times it goes back to the "boot device inaccessible" error that it had before. I'm not sure why the drive is showing up now but it is. I'm thinking the drive is bad and it's throwing errors or something but while it's booted into Windows everything seems fine except when I restart it starts giving me problems again. I know the os isn't corrupted because I can boot into it sometimes but I also had a hard time finding the os in bootrec.

I'm not sure why it started booting again but the issue isn't fixed and I'm not sure what to do now as I've tried just about everything I can think of and it seems to me that there's an issue with the drive but reports say no errors detected.

Any ideas?

Probably dead HDD you can test it in another pc with something like HD sentinel portable to confirm.

Then should upgrade to SSD and install windows and you good

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

Laptops HDD die quickly due to being throw (ex. on the bed or couch) while being ON so the spinning arm in the HDD hit the disk on impacts or shocks on the la ptop etc.. breaks more easily etc...

go for SSD if you need to replace it

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

I just ran crystal disk info and the health status is caution. Reallocated sector count,  current pending sector count and uncorrectable sector count are yellow.

4 minutes ago, Kilobytez95 said:

I just ran crystal disk info and the health status is caution. Reallocated sector count,  current pending sector count and uncorrectable sector count are yellow.

When you have a value above 0 for reallocated sectors (SMART 5), current pending sectors (SMART 197), or uncorrectable sectors (SMART 198), it's a good idea to monitor the drive and backup its contents immediately, if you haven't already, and then work on replacing it. In a datacenter setting, 76.7% of harddrives with at least one of these values above zero (including Command Timeout (SMART 188) and Reported Uncorrectable Errors (187)) imminently fail. [source]

In this case, you have three above zero values by the sounds of it; thus, in addition to the difficulties booting, it's a reasonable assumption that the drive is failing.

AMD ThreadRipper 2950X | ASUS Zenith Extreme | 4x8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-2933 | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000W P2 | Custom Rigid Watercooling

250GB Samsung 850 EVO | 500GB Crucial MM200 | 4x3TB Seagate Barracuda RAID 10

ASUS PG279Q 27" 1440p@165Hz | 2x Acer G276HLGbd 27" 1080p@60Hz | Avera 49EQX10 49" 2160p@60hz | HTC Vive 2x3.6" 1200p@90Hz

Edifier S2000 Pro | V-Moda Crossfade Wireless II | Schiit Modi + Magni

Logitech G900 | Das Keyboard Model S w/ Blank PBT Keys + Kailh Bronze Speed Switches | Logitech G920

Sounds like the drive is starting to fail. See if you can clone her drive over to an SSD and replace the drive.

20 hours ago, Kilobytez95 said:

Yep replace with SSD and enjoy the speed

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2018 at 10:24 PM, gbergeron said:

Laptops HDD die quickly due to being throw (ex. on the bed or couch) while being ON so the spinning arm in the HDD hit the disk on impacts or shocks on the la ptop etc.. breaks more easily etc...

go for SSD if you need to replace it

Yea I had them replace the HDD with an SSD.

On 4/16/2018 at 10:52 PM, Newbithian said:

When you have a value above 0 for reallocated sectors (SMART 5), current pending sectors (SMART 197), or uncorrectable sectors (SMART 198), it's a good idea to monitor the drive and backup its contents immediately, if you haven't already, and then work on replacing it. In a datacenter setting, 76.7% of harddrives with at least one of these values above zero (including Command Timeout (SMART 188) and Reported Uncorrectable Errors (187)) imminently fail. [source]

In this case, you have three above zero values by the sounds of it; thus, in addition to the difficulties booting, it's a reasonable assumption that the drive is failing.

Yea turns out the drive had a bunch of bad sectors around the 460GB mark. I wish reading SMART data was easier lol.