Dragon Force DF-530 GT - safe to use?

KenjiUmino

I want to build a PC as soon as possible and avoid as many new purchases as i can but the only PSUs i have on hand at the moment are this dragon force ATX unit and a 300W silverstone SFX. 

the components will be: 

• core i5 4590
  • cheapo asrock H81 board
  • GTX 750 ti (without 6 pin connector) 
  • 1xSSD + 2xHDD

i want a black & orange theme in the Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L case and the dragon force would fit this theme nicely - here's a picture:

Bildergebnis für dragon force df-530gt

i have dug up some old reviews from tomshardware and the likes about this unit and it seems to be ok-ish.

according to these reviews, it has the most important protection features (overload, overcurrent, overvoltage, overheat, short) and the voltages were found to be "well within the 5% tolerance" in different load scenarios. 

sounds good on paper but the thing is that i have used this unit recently with a ryzen 2400G and the system was unstable even at stock speeds so i don't know what to do with it. 

it was the cheapest of the bunch in any review i found and i never heard of that brand ever so i wonder if it is safe to use at all?

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

A low end 10 year old PSU... The roundup on Tomshardware only tested the voltages at 20%-50% load, and did not mention the load on each rail. And no testing for ripple. Do keep in mind that modern PCs will have pretty much all their load on the 12V rail, which is a problem for group regulated PSUs. The review most likely had an unrealistically high load on the minor rails, which would help the PSU. 

:)

No. Not a name brand, 10 years old, shitty even when it was new. Avoid.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

9 minutes ago, seon123 said:

A low end 10 year old PSU... The roundup on Tomshardware only tested the voltages at 20%-50% load, and did not mention the load on each rail. And no testing for ripple.

it was from 20% to 100% actually, but yeah, indeed no mention of ripple or how much load on individual rails in particular. 

image.png.92f1cdf69b9e1e54a17de8c3ee6d5a6a.png

either way - i guess i better throw that one away then. 

but i really don't want to spend more money than i absolutely need to.

how about the SFX PSU? its a SST-ST30SF

I wouldn't worry... through the fire and the flames it carries on

/s xD but actually, I've never heard of this brand before which is usually not a good sign.  Given what others have said, I would avoid it.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 hours ago, KenjiUmino said:

I want to build a PC as soon as possible and avoid as many new purchases as i can but the only PSUs i have on hand at the moment are this dragon force ATX unit and a 300W silverstone SFX. 

The 300W Silverstone is better...

Just look at that:

https://www.computerbase.de/2015-01/7-billig-netzteile-versagen-im-test/

That piece cost about the same as decent 300-350W PSU and doesn't deliver anything more than those!!

You would have been better off buying a be quiet Pure Power 350W.

They both cost about the same and deliver about the same power!

Just one is honestly advertized and the other just lied. Well, if you reverse the first two numbers, its honest...

And also the connectors point to something in the 300W Class...

i want a black & orange theme in the Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L case and the dragon force would fit this theme nicely - here's a picture:

Get a be quiet Pure Power.

Those have orange fan rings and are good quality.

My 400W Pure Power CM has an orange ring around the fan.

i have dug up some old reviews from tomshardware and the likes about this unit and it seems to be ok-ish.

You should have googled for Computerbase.de Reviews.
There was a Roundup. Just look above...

In short:
It cost as much as a decent quality 350W PSU; has about the same connectors...

But protection fail.

And they lied on the label....

sounds good on paper but the thing is that i have used this unit recently with a ryzen 2400G and the system was unstable even at stock speeds so i don't know what to do with it. 

Throw it away, what else is there to think about?!

If it isn't even able to work with that system, how much damage does it have to cause before you throw it away??

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

8 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

You would have been better off buying a be quiet Pure Power 350W.

i did not buy the dragonforce - it just "showed up by the doorstep" one day - pulled that out of the half dead computer my brothers GF showed up with - so - i guess i should have thrown it away right when i pulled it out the case - right?

i think i'll take the 300W silverstone - for now.