Put a Desktop GPU in a LAPTOP… The CHEAP WAY!

AlexTheGreatish

Hey

I tried this with my hp probook 640 g1 with an 750ti, and once everything was plugged in and everything, i turned it on, when i turned it on it showed me a black screen that turned on and off and and off. I turned of the laptop and tried again, but it still did the same thing. So i put everything back to normal, and it worked perfectly. And I tired again recently adding the 750ti and it did the same, and when i switched it back it worked perfectly. I dont really know what do to fix this. Please if you have any advice, tell me, i would really appreciate it!

And when I said ,"with an 750ti", I am talking about the gpu I want to use, my laptop has a intel graphics

• 1 month later...
On 4/14/2018 at 9:00 PM, Canada EH said:

The way you did it is the ticket, looks cheap to do. Most everyones got a psu laying around, how much in total did it cost you?

On 4/14/2018 at 3:20 PM, TheSLSAMG said:

Cool to see that a video has been done on it finally, though I feel like it would've been interesting to focus on the ExpressCard and mPCIe versions as well. With an older Ivy Bridge based workstation laptop like an Elitebook 8470P, it would be easy to slot in an ExpressCard and go (though the 2.0 1x bandwidth is definitely a limiting factor). Then again, I can't imagine you guys have a lot of those older laptops sitting around.

well, in any case I'll make a promise to you all:

As soon as I become my father's apprentice in programming plus with the inclusion of a programming class in my school, I will try my best to give all a modified BIOS of their laptop so that they (you included) be able to use ANY PCI-E based expansion card.

All as in:

-GPUs, workstation or enthusiast grade for gaming.

-Networking, Datacenter or perhaps in-home applications if need be.

-Video and on-set production.  (Comes especially handy if you have something like a RED ROCKET GPU that has wireless antennas, you know, to render RED footage, etc.) And make it easier to move around AND render footage with little to no down time fidgeting wires, etc.

And, as an added bonus, by having a battery in your laptop it can function as more of a UPS (For the laptop only, not including the externally docked expansion card.)  So in the event of a power outage you can save your work and wait til' the power comes back on.

Plus, by having such device, you can reduce space taken up, and less intensive on the overall power bill (depending on what laptop and the power consumption it has in watts.)

But, for now, I will just have to read up on it on the internet and to learn more.

I hope that you all have a wonderful day.  :)

• 1 month later...
On 4/21/2018 at 6:39 PM, servivigiledeus said:

Not necessarily, many pcie slots are whitelisted to only work with manufacturer intended parts, this was a common issue that came up when i was researching this option for a setup.

The newest laptops with Expresscard are the most solid dependable option. 

I can confirm the Lenovo t410, with it's expresscard slot is a champion paired with the 960,

god knows what a more powerful pairing could accomplish.

But to the point. the other versions are a gamble, and not guaranteed to agree with consumer laptops.  

Not only were the slot(s) whitelisted but it also has to do with the compliance of the FCC communications.

And I'm only paraphrasing here but what the FCC said is that there can't be devices that generate interference with any other radio transmittable devices.

So, not only are Manufacturers very un-cool but they also had to comply with FCC standards (to which I can understand.)

Though, one question's been swirling around in my head, the BIOS is written (essentially) in assembly language, and the question I asked myself is: "Wait, would it still boot IF it didn't have a Whitelist?"

And what I mean is if the BIOS code didn't have a Whitelist itself.

The way I thought of it is that if the BIOS didn't have a whitelist it would continue the POST and boot up anyway.

• 6 months later...
On 4/15/2018 at 6:05 AM, KaptainMajid said:

I've been using the eGPU for a year now and I can say, it's worth it if you cant afford a new gaming pc
I'm using the Exp Gdc v8 with a EVGA GTX950 and a cheap power supply connected to a Lenovo Ideapad Z570 using mPCI-E
I was planning on using the GTX1050 at the beginning but it didn't work as he said in the video, it kept showing Error code 43 and I didn't want to go into installing modded BIOS or anything like that so I just sold it and bought the 950, its been working great for like 6 or 7 months then I started getting problems especially with the new drivers, blue screens here and there, freezing sometimes, it hurts lately but hey!! anything better than Intel Graphics lol

I did this back in summer when I had to travel and I didn't have an Ethernet connection 

IMG_20180415_011821.jpg

Hey, I was trying GTX 1050Ti on my Dell Inspiron 5558 through NGFF PCIe slot and it kept on showing error code 43. Do you know the reason behind this as you mentioned not using 1050?

• 3 months later...

Can I Use mPCIe port for this? cuz i don't have a m.2

On 5/4/2019 at 4:59 AM, Buddhima said:

Can I Use mPCIe port for this? cuz i don't have a m.2

It is possible using a eGPU that goes into your Wifi card slot.  It'll have a pretty large performance impact though.

1 hour ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

It is possible using a eGPU that goes into your Wifi card slot.  It'll have a pretty large performance impact though.

I mean I did it

Before LTT did too :P

You can actually get expresscard solutions for laptops with an expresscard slot, which would make this a lot less janky.

• 10 months later...

Hello.

I want to make this upgrade to my laptop. I have an ASUS i5 (5th gen.) 8 gb RAM and Nvidia 920m. I want to know which GPU would be the best I can get for this laptop:

1. Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 (4 Go, Gaming)

2. Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti (6 Go, Gaming)

And also which power supply would I need? how many watts?

Thanks a lot in advance for your reply. 

• 1 month later...

Is there a product that anyone can recommend that would work with my an HP Envy All-in-one 27-b1XX? I am trying to use Steam VR with a Quest headset and have been stymied by the GPU. As far as I know and have been able to determine, my PC is not upgradeable so an external GPU is my only possible option. I am trying to do this a economically as possible and could really use your advice.

Greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks!

• 3 months later...

(HELP) I would like to play flight simulator 2020 in 4k in my dell inspiron 7577 (intel  i7 7700hq cpu 2.80 2.81ghz 128 ssd 1 tb hd, 16gb ram, nvidia 1060 max q) and i would like to add a external gpu, but my question is, how to do it? could i run both of my graphics cards?

On 8/19/2020 at 4:24 PM, odilonscaramuzza said:

(HELP) I would like to play flight simulator 2020 in 4k in my dell inspiron 7577 (intel  i7 7700hq cpu 2.80 2.81ghz 128 ssd 1 tb hd, 16gb ram, nvidia 1060 max q) and i would like to add a external gpu, but my question is, how to do it? could i run both of my graphics cards?

You'd need a Thunderbolt 3 port which you probably don't have.  Even if you did you can't run both GPUs at the same time.  You can likely play it with a 1060 Max-Q, and you'll be better off just saving up and building a budget gaming PC than going the eGPU route.

• 1 month later...
On 4/14/2018 at 3:05 PM, AlexTheGreatish said:

Fans of the EXP GDC have been asking us to do a video on it for years. We hadn’t up until this point because the user experience was kind of terrible. It still is.

Buy a Gigabyte Gaming Box
On Amazon: http://geni.us/OHj0B
On Newegg: http://geni.us/vqL2B

I have the predator laptop referred to in the video. I also have Vive pro eye vR goggles and they run fine. However I bought a remote headset adapter and it comes with a PCIe card that runs the remote antenna. Where do I get the beast?