Put a Desktop GPU in a LAPTOP… The CHEAP WAY!

AlexTheGreatish

Cool to see that a video has been done on it finally, though I feel like it would've been interesting to focus on the ExpressCard and mPCIe versions as well. With an older Ivy Bridge based workstation laptop like an Elitebook 8470P, it would be easy to slot in an ExpressCard and go (though the 2.0 1x bandwidth is definitely a limiting factor). Then again, I can't imagine you guys have a lot of those older laptops sitting around.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

14 minutes ago, SpeedyDucky said:

You could buy a wifi dongle and use the mini PCIe slot thingy for the external GPU.

True. I did this with a Samsung NP550P5C that I have, though unfortunately it couldn't handle an i7 3610QM because of the cooling system.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Thanks for this video. You just gave me an idea.

I have a Phanteks Evolv Shift 

and I have a (more importantly) an   ROG STRIX B350-I GAMING  motherboard.

The motherboard has 

1x NVMe (PCIe Gen3 X4) on top and 

1x NVMe (PCIe Gen2 X4) on the back of the MBO.  (funny thing, this one "illogically" doesn't have a SATA compatibility)

Could hopefully hook up this to a 10GBe card and connect it to the back NVMe port.  Have plenty of space in the case for the card.  

I can share some experience with similar kind of setup I was running since 2011 to 2013:

HP Compaq 6510b, eGPU pcie slot board v2.4a to ExpressCard, some old PSU and 8800GT. Laptop itself did not have ExpressCard slot, but luckily I had large docking station with it.

There were several limitations like:

1. BIOS could not handle eGPU during boot and card had to be hot-plugged 

2. It could not run on Vista 

3. There was special utility that implanted option into bootloader for unlocking full-duplex communication instead of half duplex.

4. Can't sleep PC with eGPU running.

5. Constant switching inputs on display between iGPU and eGPU

6. It looked horrendously on the table and took up so much space

7. Performance of 8800GT was cut by a large margin

But hey, everything is better than gaming on Intel iGPU. 

20180414_214500.jpg

Once my Envy X360's Vega 8 graphics become too slow for anything im gonna try this xD. NVME FTW!  

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

I've been using the eGPU for a year now and I can say, it's worth it if you cant afford a new gaming pc
I'm using the Exp Gdc v8 with a EVGA GTX950 and a cheap power supply connected to a Lenovo Ideapad Z570 using mPCI-E
I was planning on using the GTX1050 at the beginning but it didn't work as he said in the video, it kept showing Error code 43 and I didn't want to go into installing modded BIOS or anything like that so I just sold it and bought the 950, its been working great for like 6 or 7 months then I started getting problems especially with the new drivers, blue screens here and there, freezing sometimes, it hurts lately but hey!! anything better than Intel Graphics lol

5 hours ago, SpeedyDucky said:

You could buy a wifi dongle and use the mini PCIe slot thingy for the external GPU.

I did this back in summer when I had to travel and I didn't have an Ethernet connection 

IMG_20180415_011821.jpg

25 minutes ago, KaptainMajid said:

been using the eGPU

The way you did it is the ticket, looks cheap to do. Most everyones got a psu laying around, how much in total did it cost you?

older revisions makes more sense. You won't be using the adapter outside of home and at home we can use Ethernet.  

Can This work on The Dell N5010?

If it doesnt Can u plz suggest a way because my graphic card stopped functioning and constantly shows up with the 8 beep problem.

Any help would be appreciated!

1 hour ago, Skadaddy said:

If it doesnt Can u plz suggest a way because my graphic card stopped functioning and constantly shows up with the 8 beep problem.

I dont know much about this, yet. But I think the key is for the laptop to have this

mPCI-E

I saw a video on a guy doing similar on YT, he opened up the laptop, took out the wifi connections, and did his thang. Its pretty hit and miss I think. I remember he T/S for a long time, and I cant remember if it worked for him and his laptop or not.

3 hours ago, Canada EH said:

How much in total did it cost you?

I got the Exp adapter for $32 on sale
Used EVGA GTX950 from Ebay $92
PowerSupply $12
+ Which video did you see? can you give the link or title of it, maybe its the one that I saw before I made my setup 

2 hours ago, Skadaddy said:

I think most laptops has the mPCIe slot, if you have wifi in your laptop then I'm pretty sure its installed on the mPCIe Port and thats the one that you would be using for the external adapter.
I also looked up your graphics card problem and as far as I know your monitor is not working? if it's not then this method may not fix your issue and you'll have to add an external monitor to it to make it work
Check this: https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/154494/N5010+-+8+beeps.+Screen+won't+turn+on

11 minutes ago, KaptainMajid said:

Which video did you see? can you give the link or title of it, maybe its the one that I saw before I made my setup 

I have no clue which one I saw, it was quite awhile ago. I dont login to YT so cant find it through History. Thats only bit me once or twice I usually end up finding what I watched if I try long and hard enough. If I remember correctly the vlogger had an thick accent.

16 hours ago, Canada EH said:

I have no clue 

Oh okey no problem man :D

I'm actually looking into upgrading my laptop this year and am considering the new Ryzen U powered machines (as soon as more OEMs jump on board)...so my question is, does this work with the Ryzen U machines? I believe that would be a an appealing target since AMD laptops don't have Thunderbolt ports...no?

This is really cool but not the way to do it. 

I tried this back in the mPCIe days ( you know the older PCIe slots on laptops) Basically got mixed results like Linus did. Each device needs a certain amount of reserved memory to run and laptop BIOS usually only accounts for wifi cards, which need a lot smaller caches then GPUs do, so they usually require DSDT overrides to get the space and chace they need. UEFI does a better job of this since it can allocate those resources on the fly. 

Fun experiment though, love the outside the box videos they have been doing lately! 

Uh, the laptop that couldnt get the eGPU to work did not have an NVME enabled m.2 slot. That was a SATA m.2 slot, and thats why it didnt work. It likely would have worked utilizing the Mini PCI-E slot, though a bit more limited. However a comparison of GDC beast over ExpressCard (the last of ExpressCard laptops to be made were Haswell era), mPCI-E (every laptop, some have two but all use a mpci-E wifi card that can be removed to attach the eGPU into), and NGFF/M.2 that is VERIFIED NVME enabled.  

If going Mini PCI-E route in the retesting, you will want to double check that the laptop doesn't have a BIOS whitelist for that slot. I'm not sure if the "gaming version" laptops have whitelists but old workstations sure do but it depends on the brand.

YouTube/CoalitionGaming - Cameras: Canon 1DX MkII, Canon EOS M6 MkII, Panasonic Lumix G85
The Gaming/Streaming/Editing Rig: Codename
LINCHPIN 
Ryzen 9 5900X // Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite mobo // 32gb G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600mhz // Swiftech Boreas custom CPU loop & IRIS Helix Fans // Lian LI PC-O11 Dynamic Case // Nvidia RTX 3080 FE  // Sandisk x400 1tb SSD // Micron 2tb SSD // WD 1tb Blue HDD // SK Hynix Gold P31 NVME 1tb SSD // 

54 minutes ago, CoalitionGaming said:

Uh, the laptop that couldnt get the eGPU to work did not have an NVME enabled m.2 slot. That was a SATA m.2 slot, and thats why it didnt work. It likely would have worked utilizing the Mini PCI-E slot, though a bit more limited. However a comparison of GDC beast over ExpressCard (the last of ExpressCard laptops to be made were Haswell era), mPCI-E (every laptop, some have two but all use a mpci-E wifi card that can be removed to attach the eGPU into), and NGFF/M.2 that is VERIFIED NVME enabled.  

If going Mini PCI-E route in the retesting, you will want to double check that the laptop doesn't have a BIOS whitelist for that slot. I'm not sure if the "gaming version" laptops have whitelists but old workstations sure do but it depends on the brand.

The slot in the MSI is both a SATA and PCIe M.2 slot so it should have worked fine with the BEAST.

42 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

The slot in the MSI is both a SATA and PCIe M.2 slot so it should have worked fine with the BEAST.

Did you try Nando's egpu setup tool by any chance?

https://egpu.io/egpu-setup-13x/

YouTube/CoalitionGaming - Cameras: Canon 1DX MkII, Canon EOS M6 MkII, Panasonic Lumix G85
The Gaming/Streaming/Editing Rig: Codename
LINCHPIN 
Ryzen 9 5900X // Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite mobo // 32gb G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600mhz // Swiftech Boreas custom CPU loop & IRIS Helix Fans // Lian LI PC-O11 Dynamic Case // Nvidia RTX 3080 FE  // Sandisk x400 1tb SSD // Micron 2tb SSD // WD 1tb Blue HDD // SK Hynix Gold P31 NVME 1tb SSD // 

Mine's via a miniPCIe slot where the Wireless card normally occupies. This one is off a Clevo W110ER running 12GB RAM, Core i7 3630QM.

IMG20180419182410.jpg

On 4/14/2018 at 1:05 PM, AlexTheGreatish said:

Fans of the EXP GDC have been asking us to do a video on it for years. We hadn’t up until this point because the user experience was kind of terrible. It still is.

Buy a Gigabyte Gaming Box
On Amazon: http://geni.us/OHj0B
On Newegg: http://geni.us/vqL2B

I actually did a thread on my Beast GDC project here> https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/569164-a-sleeves-up-approach-to-egpu-w-case/ . Very successful with the expresscard version on the Lenovo t410, with the gtx 960, makes for a capable modular setup.  

On 4/18/2018 at 2:32 PM, AlexTheGreatish said:

Not necessarily, many pcie slots are whitelisted to only work with manufacturer intended parts, this was a common issue that came up when i was researching this option for a setup.

The newest laptops with Expresscard are the most solid dependable option. 

I can confirm the Lenovo t410, with it's expresscard slot is a champion paired with the 960,

god knows what a more powerful pairing could accomplish.

But to the point. the other versions are a gamble, and not guaranteed to agree with consumer laptops.