9th BOINC Pentathlon hosted by SETI.Germany

Hello, all.

So, the 9th BOINC Penthalon hosted by SETI.Germany is coming up in May.  Pretty big BOINC event with big teams, medium teams, and even small teams competing.

The new site is up now with the official start dates for the event:  https://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_pentathlon/start.php

I am starting this thread to see how much of the LTT members are interested in joining into this event.

If the interest is strong enough to want to compete as a team, I be willing to help out with the sign up process for the team and answer questions about this big event.

Official BOINC Download Page

First daily bulletin is up.  As usually, their writer is a trip.

Prelude

Event Length

05 May 2018 00:00:00 UTC to 19 May 2018 00:00:00 UTC

Marathon Project:  14 day length

NumberFields@Home (CPU Project)

05 May 2018 00:00:00 UTC to 19 May 2018 00:00:00 UTC

http://numberfields.asu.edu/NumberFields/

Sprint Project: 3 day length

Rosetta@Home (CPU Project)

11 May 2018 00:00:00 UTC to 14 May 2018 00:00:00 UTC

http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/

City Run Project:  5 day length

Asteroids@Home (CPU & GPU Project)

14 May 2018 00:00:00 UTC to 19 May 2018 00:00:00 UTC

http://asteroidsathome.net/boinc/

Cross Country Project:  5 day length

PrimeGrid@Home (GPU Project)

13 May 2018 00:00:00 UTC to 18 May 2018 00:00:00 UTC

http://www.primegrid.com/

Swimming Project:  7 day length

Universe@Home (CPU Project) (Note: ARM platforms can crunch this as well)

05 May 2018 00:00:00 UTC to 12 May 2018 00:00:00 UTC

https://universeathome.pl/universe/

STATS   ||   PENTATHLON HOME PAGE  ||  TEAMS

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Not very on topic, but how does swimming fit in with BOINC?

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

3 minutes ago, bob51zhang said:

Not very on topic, but how does swimming fit in with BOINC?

That just the name of the disciplines.  Each team submits projects they want for a discipline.  The project with the most votes is then declared the project for that discipline.

One major rule for projects submittal is no previous project last year can be submitted the next year.

Part of the rule set from their site:

Each team may suggest four Projects while signing up. The projects are assigned to the disciplines as follows:

1. Marathon
    • The project is set by the organizers.
  2. Sprint
    • The project with the most votes that provides workunits with a quorum of 1.
  3. City Run
    • The CPU project with the most votes that is not already chosen for Marathon or Sprint.
  4. Cross Country
    • The GPU project with the most votes.
  5. Swimming
    • The CPU project with the most votes that is not already chosen for another discipline.

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

• 3 weeks later...

Marathon just announced.  Event is upcoming in under four days.

NumberFields@home - 5/5 to 5/19

This usually when teams start the bunkering tactic.

I will try to get a sign up sheet here soon.

Note:  You don't have to run your hardware for the whole event, but help out in certain sections of your choice if you want.  But, do need some folks that are willing to crunch the units for the marathon event since it runs all the days of the event.

20 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Marathon just announced.  Event is upcoming in under four days.

NumberFields@home - 5/5 to 5/19

This usually when teams start the bunkering tactic.

I will try to get a sign up sheet here soon.

Note:  You don't have to run your hardware for the whole event, but help out in certain sections of your choice if you want.  But, do need some folks that are willing to crunch the units for the marathon event since it runs all the days of the event.

you got at least one of my systems for the marathon as I will be out of town for the second half anyways. Also Ill do a bit of research but it has been a long time since I have run BOINC so any pointers for running intel and nvida systems in windows would be much appreciated.

Folding Community Board:

Also check out our Official Folding Month event:

1 hour ago, palespartan said:

you got at least one of my systems for the marathon as I will be out of town for the second half anyways. Also Ill do a bit of research but it has been a long time since I have run BOINC so any pointers for running intel and nvida systems in windows would be much appreciated.

BOINC is fairly easy to get up and running.  Best advice is to download the client from BOINC's website.  Then switch client to advance view.  What I tend to like about BOINC over F@H is the amount of fine tune control it gives on how much resources one allows the client to use.

1 hour ago, Ithanul said:

BOINC is fairly easy to get up and running.  Best advice is to download the client from BOINC's website.  Then switch client to advance view.  What I tend to like about BOINC over F@H is the amount of fine tune control it gives on how much resources one allows the client to use.

Awesome Ill get it installed on the gaming tower and running tonight. But for the marathon it seems to just talk about CPUs on their site and doesn't mention GPUs is this true because if so we will definitely need more help with that one since I only have a 4790k.

Folding Community Board:

3 hours ago, palespartan said:

Awesome Ill get it installed on the gaming tower and running tonight. But for the marathon it seems to just talk about CPUs on their site and doesn't mention GPUs is this true because if so we will definitely need more help with that one since I only have a 4790k.

Swimming tends to have GPU projects.

But, most of the rest are CPU projects.

If you know others that be interested in joining, spread the word.  Individuals don't have to dedicated for the whole event, but help out in the parts they want.

I'm still working to get all my stuff squared away.  Sucks I won't have the 1950X up till late weekend time.

Also update:  LTT Forums is official added as a team to the event.  Some come on LTT BOINCers, show what you got for this event.

I will also probably tomorrow add info on how to do some bunkering techniques.

maybe we can get some help from the LTT team? @LinusTech @Slick

Would be great if you guys got involved, if not for anything but the publicity! Slick used to be massively into distributed computing... has it lost his interest? :(

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Alrighty, so I will talk a bit about the art of bunkering.

What is bunkering?

It is a technique used during the Pent by most teams, especially the big teams do it.

This technique involves crunching units ahead of a project's start time and holding onto the units.  Once the projects starts, the units are then dump, usually refereed to as bunker bombing or bunker drop.

Doing a bunker allows even small teams to have a chance against bigger teams that don't use the technique much or barely (or, unaware of doing a bunker).

Sometimes, even big teams will bunker during project event times to mess with other teams once other events start up.  Reason for this, if one team thinks another team is diverting resources to a different project.  This sometimes makes a team change resources as they feel safe in their current position.  Then, the team that was bunkering drops the load, usually near the end of a project event time which can either take a spot from an another team or force a team to go into a mad rush to protect their position in an event but make them vulnerable in a different event.

Hence, bunkering is a technique that is useful when done right.

Now, onto how to do basic bunkering.

To do a basic bunker, you make the client download as many work units the client can hold and what the server allows.  Once all units are downloaded, you either block uploading in the client itself or modified the host file to block the upload servers.  This is a basic bunker.  It is farily easy to do.

Is there advance bunkering?

Yes, advance bunkering is a step above the basic.  The same deal applies to downloading as many units as you can.  But, in this case, once you load and finish crunching units on one client.  You then build VMs and run extra BOINC clients within the VMs.  If done correctly, one can bunker up to several hundred or even thousands of work units at a time.

Another advance way, is to setup multiple BOINC clients on one machine itself without VMs.  Fair warning, this does require messing with config files and a bit cmd/terminal commands.  Then, open multiple BOINC manager windows or use BOINCTasks to manage these extra instances of the client.

The event will be starting in under four hours.

Also, the project for Swimming is now announced.

It is Universe@Home.

Ok, I'm in. Setting up some systems now...

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 hours ago, Ithanul said:

The event will be starting in under four hours.

Also, the project for Swimming is now announced.

It is Universe@Home.

I'm planning to run the marathon for the full duration, around 20 hours per day and will try to run whichever others I can! 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

34 cores added for now. I'll have to do some optimisation tomorrow and maybe put even more cores on. Moar cores! Universe seems to have shorter units, which I generally prefer. as I may turn stuff on and off at any time for any reason.

I've done zero research into how scoring works. If someone (@Ithanul?) would like to advise what's best for team strategy for those with flexibility in where to put resource?

Anyone know if Universe has benefit from HT/SMT?

In case anyone cares I go on boinc as mackerel for historic reasons.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

13 minutes ago, porina said:

34 cores added for now. I'll have to do some optimisation tomorrow and maybe put even more cores on. Moar cores! Universe seems to have shorter units, which I generally prefer. as I may turn stuff on and off at any time for any reason.

I've done zero research into how scoring works. If someone (@Ithanul?) would like to advise what's best for team strategy for those with flexibility in where to put resource?

Anyone know if Universe has benefit from HT/SMT?

In case anyone cares I go on boinc as mackerel for historic reasons.

Welcome aboard! I'm thinking we will have to try to sort a team training event next yet year to practice things like bunker bombing. 

P.S. @Ithanul How long can you hold onto work units? could I mash the top ten projects for a month before the event too hope one of those are chosen for the event? 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 hour ago, Ben Quigley said:

Welcome aboard! I'm thinking we will have to try to sort a team training event next yet year to practice things like bunker bombing. 

P.S. @Ithanul How long can you hold onto work units? could I mash the top ten projects for a month before the event too hope one of those are chosen for the event? 

You can hold a WU before its deadline.  Otherwise, if the unit is held past that, the WU will fail.

Also, make sure you are in the LTT Forums team on these projects.  Just noticed LTT had no team on NumberFields.  I got that fixed.  Now I need to make sure the team is on Universe as well.

I will try next year to give a head ups farther out.

How many so far in the event?

I know @Ben Quigley, @porina, and @palespartan is doing this event.  Any others?

I currently have my Xeon doing NumberFields.  Should be around 24 threads there.

I know I'm late to the party but whats our team number after I get boinc set up.

EDIT: Ok I think I found an joined the team and am currently running number fields but can someone confirm that I'm doing it right and that I'm on the right team?

Folding Community Board:

7 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Also, make sure you are in the LTT Forums team on these projects.  Just noticed LTT had no team on NumberFields.  I got that fixed.  Now I need to make sure the team is on Universe as well.

Erm... on both projects there is an existing LinusTechTips_Team which is the one I joined. I note there is a newly created LTT Forums team with one member. Can we use the 1st as that's where everyone is?

2 hours ago, porina said:

Erm... on both projects there is an existing LinusTechTips_Team which is the one I joined. I note there is a newly created LTT Forums team with one member. Can we use the 1st as that's where everyone is?

I have also joined the exsistant teams as I'm guessing they are how we obtain badges? 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

6 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

I have also joined the exsistant teams as I'm guessing they are how we obtain badges? 

Hopefully when @Ithanul is next online we can get this sorted out. To me it makes sense to stick with the existing teams, but I don't know how that links to the pentathlon site, if it can be pointed accordingly or otherwise we need a new pentathlon entry...

@porina @palespartan This settles it! 

image.png.a1d01e5676d18caf353e436f79088c0b.png

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

CPU contests are just distributing bunkering organisation contests. It is only with all the GPUs churning through the entire queue multiple times a day that you start getting a fairly decent contest.

~~Kuroneko~~

- Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 16-Core

- Corsair H115i Pro 280 Liquid Cooler

- Asus X399 ROG Zenith Extreme MB

- 2x Nvidia Titan V

- Corsair 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3000MHz

- Samsung 960 Pro Series 1TB M.2 SSD

- Western Digital RED Pro 6TB 64M SATA

- Corsair AX1500i Titianium PSU

- Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout

- 3x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial 140mm 3000RPM Fans

~~Chibineko~~

- Ryzen 7 2700X 8-Core

- Corsair H115i 280 Liquid Cooler

- Asus X470-F ROG Strix  MB

- 2x MSI Vega 64 Wave Liquid Cooled

- G.Skill Sniper X 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600MHz

- Samsung 960 Pro Series 512GB M.2 SSD

- Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

- Corsair AX1200i 80+ Platinum

- Fractal Design Define R5

- 5x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial 140mm 3000RPM Fans

Number fields doesn't like my CPU, going 100% into Universe. Sigh

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

43 minutes ago, zzrhardy said:

CPU contests are just distributing bunkering organisation contests. It is only with all the GPUs churning through the entire queue multiple times a day that you start getting a fairly decent contest.

Are you in on the team? 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, Ben Quigley said:

Are you in on the team? 

Sorry, playing the 365 day a year contest of BOINCstats rankings and don't want to lose ground :)

~~Kuroneko~~

- Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 16-Core

- Corsair H115i Pro 280 Liquid Cooler

- Asus X399 ROG Zenith Extreme MB

- 2x Nvidia Titan V

- Corsair 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3000MHz

- Samsung 960 Pro Series 1TB M.2 SSD

- Western Digital RED Pro 6TB 64M SATA

- Corsair AX1500i Titianium PSU

- Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout

- 3x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial 140mm 3000RPM Fans

~~Chibineko~~