What is dual channel, quad channel etc

Go to solution Solved by Windows7ge,

Even if this is all fake I'll entertain it since I'm bored.

When a package of RAM says Dual channel it's literally just because theirs two sticks in the package and because their certified to work with on another. If the motherboard says it supports quad channel you can use two dual channel kits it's just that there's a very narrow chance it won't work. Once together and booted it is a quad channel configuration.

Me and my friend are having a fight over what dual channel and quad channel memory exactly means. He says that 1 kit of two sticks of ram is single channel (which it clearly isnt) and 2 kits of 2 sticks is dual channel. 

Can you please clarify the meaning so i can prove him wrong.

Thanks!

Dual-channel architecture requires a dual-channel-capable motherboard and two or more DDR, DDR2, DDR3, or DDR4 memory modules.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-channel_memory_architecture

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

When a package of RAM says Dual channel it's literally just because theirs two sticks in the package and because their certified to work with on another. If the motherboard says it supports quad channel you can use two dual channel kits it's just that there's a very narrow chance it won't work. Once together and booted it is a quad channel configuration.

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Or if you use two single sticks in different kits together, that'll likely be dual channel.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

1 minute ago, JDE said:

Or if you use two single sticks in different kits together, that'll likely be dual channel.

Or if you buy two 4 stick kits and somehow you have a motherboard that supports Octa-channel the "channel" of which it is is really just a matter of how many stick you have. Don't quote me on it but I think theirs some motherboards that support tri-channel. Pretty sure penta and hepta channel don't exist. mono-channel does.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

Or if you buy two 4 stick kits and somehow you have a motherboard that supports Octa-channel the "channel" of which it is is really just a matter of how many stick you have. Don't quote me on it but I think theirs some motherboards that support tri-channel. Pretty sure penta and hepta channel don't exist. mono-channel does.

All X58 I believe are tri channel

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

1 minute ago, JDE said:

All X58 I believe are tri channel

I do believe it was a feature on some older motherboards. I'm not quite sure if there's any remotely modern boards that support it. Realistically it wouldn't be worth it to develop it with today's systems. If you need more memory bandwidth than dual then quad has you seriously covered. That or if you're seriously just that big of a memory hog and you maxed out your quad memory slot motherboard.

40 minutes ago, JoshCanHearYou said:

Me and my friend are having a fight over what dual channel and quad channel memory exactly means. He says that 1 kit of two sticks of ram is single channel (which it clearly isnt) and 2 kits of 2 sticks is dual channel. 

Can you please clarify the meaning so i can prove him wrong.

Thanks!

Multi-channel memory means the system can combine the data channels used in RAM to effectively increase the amount of data that can be transferred at once between the CPU and RAM. This is a motherboard + CPU feature. The number of RAM modules that you buy in a kit is not indicative of anything. You can buy single sticks from the same lot and put them in a multi-channel system. It's just that buying, for example, two sticks from a dual-channel memory kit is a factory guarantee that it'll at least work in a dual-channel system. I've heard that motherboards can be finnicky about not allowing multi-channel memory, but I'm under the impression as long as the specs (speed, timing, and capacity) are the same, it should work.

As a bit of a technical background, DDR-SDRAM (any generation of it) has a 64-bit data channel. Combining these channels increases this to multiples of 64-bits. So in a dual channel memory system, if you have matching RAM modules, turns the effective bandwidth into a 128-bit one. A tri-channel system will increase this to 192-bits. A quad-channel will increase this to 256-bits.

14 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I do believe it was a feature on some older motherboards. I'm not quite sure if there's any remotely modern boards that support it. Realistically it wouldn't be worth it to develop it with today's systems. If you need more memory bandwidth than dual then quad has you seriously covered. That or if you're seriously just that big of a memory hog and you maxed out your quad memory slot motherboard.

IMCs that support quad channel also support triple channel. As long as your populating the correct DIMM slots to get it to work.

Some dual socket processors running in single socket motherboards may also change what memory banks they access. While a single socket processor might prioritise odd slots over even slots. A dual socket processor might take the first four slots and not touch the second four.

Memory compatibility is almost always affected primarily by the IMC. Some motherboards however are capable of supporting faster memory setups of  memory through improved memory traces.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

2 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Some dual socket processors running in single socket motherboards may also change what memory banks they access. While a single socket processor might prioritise odd slots over even slots. A dual socket processor might take the first four slots and not touch the second four.

So if I ever decide to take one of my Xeon E5 2670's and put it in my old X79 motherboard it's possible I might find myself putting 4 sticks in the 4 identical colored slots closer to the CPU socket for best performance? That'd be an unexpected event.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

So if I ever decide to take one of my Xeon E5 2670's and put it in my old X79 motherboard it's possible I might find myself putting 4 sticks in the 4 identical colored slots closer to the CPU socket for best performance? That'd be an unexpected event.

Yep exactly that's a quad channel design so filling up those 4 slots will provide with the best rate, filling them all will only increase capacity.

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

9 minutes ago, MeDownYou said:

Yep exactly that's a quad channel design so filling up those 4 slots will provide with the best rate, filling them all will only increase capacity.

That's worth noting. I've had thoughts of putting the Xeon 8 core in my 2011 motherboard for applications that rely on core count over core clock since the 3930K I bought for it only had 6 cores and the 3960X didn't have more. A CPU that costs 1/3rd the price with two more cores and a 3.3GHz turbo. Sounds worth it to me for high multi-core reliant applications.

11 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I had a 2603v3 recognise slots 1/3/5/7 (red, primary/ASUS recommended configuration) as slots 1/2/3/4 which lead me to believe that those slots would normally be reserved for CPU0.

CPU1 would end up using slots 4/5/6/7 which on a Rampage V Extreme are slots 2/4/6/8.

Maybe memory controller setups are just different for Xeons since the dual socket ones have their memory banks right beside them.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

4 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Maybe memory controller setups are just different for Xeons since the dual socket ones have their memory banks right beside them.

The only thing I can think of, would be the very small lowering in latency when requesting data from RAM. I could see this making a noticeable difference in the data-center but on a desktop it'd be immeasurable so they just put the default slots on the outside.