A VERY Different Galaxy S9/S9+ Review

I guess everyone is asleep, finished the whole video and still no other comments or likes here or on the video.

its 8am in the UK and I'm waiting on my sony xz2 to get here so i may as well see what i missed out on.

About the update situation.

That’s never been new with Samsung. The latest flagships get updates at least 5-6 months from when it is originally released to the public on a Pixel/Nexus.

If you want updates, let’s face. Every OEM that isn’t Google or Essential sucks major balls. My Note8 only got Oreo a few days ago, with the Honor 8 Pro receiving it a few weeks prior and my Moto Z 2016 (which was Motorola’s flagship offering 1.5 years ago) is still on Nougat with the December patch and still has no worldwide Oreo rollout yet, which is insulting given that they run a version of Android that runs close-to-stock Android. The LG V30 recently received Oreo but the G6 hasn’t got it yet. Don’t even ask about the G5 and V20.

And while I have to give Razer some credit on rolling out Android 8.1 this month,  plus Treble support, they missed their original Q1 2018 deadline and has barely communicated much, if at all.

To Samsung’s credit, they’re not completely terrible since they have held true to giving their midrange and up device’s at least 2 OS upgrades in their life-cycle, but their timing sucks, but this isn’t just a Samsung thing, especially since Samsung has a shit ton of devices to update. Like does anyone need a J7, J7 Prime, J7+ and a J7 Pro??

Which is why if you want an Android phone and updates are a concern, buy a Pixel. Unless every OEM starts giving a damn, a Pixel (and perhaps the Essential) are your only choices if you want updates

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

3 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Which is why if you want an Android phone and updates are a concern, buy a Pixel. Unless every OEM starts giving a damn, a Pixel (and perhaps the Essential) are your only choices if you want updates

Not necessarily. There’s the Android One program with non Pixel phones having timely software updates https://www.android.com/one/ :)

It would be nice if Samsung would consider an Android One version of the GS9+. They did it before with the GS4 Goggle Play Edition. https://www.engadget.com/2013/07/06/samsung-galaxy-s-4-google-play-edition-review/ 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 hour ago, hey_yo_ said:

Not necessarily. There’s the Android One program with non Pixel phones having timely software updates https://www.android.com/one/ :)

It would be nice if Samsung would consider an Android One version of the GS9+. They did it before with the GS4 Goggle Play Edition. https://www.engadget.com/2013/07/06/samsung-galaxy-s-4-google-play-edition-review/ 

Well, there's a little fine line.

Contrary to what some say, Google does not provide the updates to all AOne devices. It's pretty much an extra certification granted by Google for OEMs which follow their guidelines on supplying a clean build of Android with only Google apps and whatever extra the manufacturer needs to add to make certain hardware stuff work. In these cases, it is still up to the OEM to ship the update. However, it should be easier since Google will provide any necessary support to the OEM to ensure updates are as timely as possible.

Which also reminds me. I forgot about HMD. They've been really good at updates as of late. I would definitely recommend them if they can keep it up.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

What Linus touches is at the end is the biggest reason why I do not really like Samsung mobile as a company. Their software support is absolutely terrible. 

I remember not to long ago one of our government agencies was (and possibly still is) looking into Android OEMs for their lack of software support, potentially being a national security risk or something like that. 

Samsung and many other Android OEMs seem to have this throw away mentality towards their customers and that isn't cool. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

Samsung and many other Android OEMs seem to have this throw away mentality towards their customers and that isn't cool. 

........ well I mean... Apple is even worse... "ohh your phone too old now give papa more money to change battery or we limit yo battery matey, giv money"

so yeh

review kinda late, s9 already outdated.. ads of their photography thing are completely gone here, seems they don't want to bother anymore...1522257638_p20-photographie.png.3e27fde8b43fd2486ab2b322058bbd7a.png

we have this now xD one week to go

edit: well i'm at the end of the review, with the software part and.... oh, Samsung... ripping off Huawei's software features... amazing. Panoramic selfies was a feature from the Ascend P7, from... 2014...

Just now, The Viking said:

........ well I mean... Apple is even worse... "ohh your phone too old now give papa more money to change battery or we limit yo battery matey, giv money"

so yeh

Lol what? 

You can turn off the battery limiter. It's an option. It's also a service, no other OEM has the resources to provide batteries for multiple generations at an affordable price when they do not have to. 

The alternative is to allow devices to just shut down randomly. (This is what happens to every smartphone) 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Lol what? 

You can turn off the battery limiter. It's an option. It's also a service, no other OEM has the resources to provide batteries for multiple generations at an affordable price when they do not have to. 

The alternative is to allow devices to just shut down randomly. (This is what happens to every smartphone) 

if you could turn it off, they wouldn't be currently in a legal dispute in france. Remember, they started limiting the battery and told after the customers. Oh look it doesn't get better, they limit it at 1 battery replacement per device. And you still have to pay 29 euros for it.

http://belgium-iphone.lesoir.be/2017/12/29/batteries-diphone-apple-presente-ses-excuses-et-propose-une-solution-de-remplacement/

http://www.01net.com/actualites/batterie-a-29-euros-apple-n-autorise-qu-un-seul-remplacement-par-iphone-1345620.html

6 minutes ago, The Viking said:

if you could turn it off, they wouldn't be currently in a legal dispute in france.

You can turn it off. There is no rebuttal to that. 

6 minutes ago, The Viking said:

Oh look it doesn't get better, they limit it at 1 battery replacement per device. And you still have to pay 29 euros for it.

Why would it be anything else? Devices being affected are over a few years old now and Apple is going farther than any smartphone manufacture company in supporting their products years after they have been sold. 

Consumers can feel entitled, they can waste their time while their lawyers get rich just so they can get a $5 check in the mail. It doesn't change anything. 

11 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

About the update situation.

That’s never been new with Samsung. The latest flagships get updates at least 5-6 months from when it is originally released to the public on a Pixel/Nexus.

If you want updates, let’s face. Every OEM that isn’t Google or Essential sucks major balls. My Note8 only got Oreo a few days ago, with the Honor 8 Pro receiving it a few weeks prior and my Moto Z 2016 (which was Motorola’s flagship offering 1.5 years ago) is still on Nougat with the December patch and still has no worldwide Oreo rollout yet, which is insulting given that they run a version of Android that runs close-to-stock Android. The LG V30 recently received Oreo but the G6 hasn’t got it yet. Don’t even ask about the G5 and V20.

And while I have to give Razer some credit on rolling out Android 8.1 this month,  plus Treble support, they missed their original Q1 2018 deadline and has barely communicated much, if at all.

To Samsung’s credit, they’re not completely terrible since they have held true to giving their midrange and up device’s at least 2 OS upgrades in their life-cycle, but their timing sucks, but this isn’t just a Samsung thing, especially since Samsung has a shit ton of devices to update. Like does anyone need a J7, J7 Prime, J7+ and a J7 Pro??

You could always root and get the latest software. My OnePlus Two is still on 6.0.1, and that's the latest software update available. The hardware is perfectly fine, it even has 4GB RAM like the S9.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

You can turn it off. There is no rebuttal to that. 

Why would it be anything else? Devices being affected are over a few years old now and Apple is going farther than any smartphone manufacture company in supporting their products years after they have been sold. 

Consumers can feel entitled, they can waste their time while their lawyers get rich just so they can get a $5 check in the mail. It doesn't change anything. 

It isn't about any entitlement,Apple slowed down phones without telling anyone to get consumers to keep buying the newest thing, the "Device being a few years old" isn't much of an excuse when it still works fine when people don't care about Geekbench scores.

1 hour ago, The Viking said:

if you could turn it off, they wouldn't be currently in a legal dispute in france. Remember, they started limiting the battery and told after the customers. Oh look it doesn't get better, they limit it at 1 battery replacement per device. And you still have to pay 29 euros for it.

http://belgium-iphone.lesoir.be/2017/12/29/batteries-diphone-apple-presente-ses-excuses-et-propose-une-solution-de-remplacement/

http://www.01net.com/actualites/batterie-a-29-euros-apple-n-autorise-qu-un-seul-remplacement-par-iphone-1345620.html

Really Apple should be replacing the batteries for free, but the media spread it around that you can get a new battery for so cheap and most forgot about it.

Also, I can't stand how so many topics get derailed into "ew why does x manufacturer do this? Apple is so much better".

Mobile phones cost so much, and 90% of people dont even use it even 58% of its capability.

17 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Apple slowed down phones without telling anyone to get consumers to keep buying the newest thing

Actually no, that is what is trying to be proved in court. Further what Apple did extends the life of a phone, and in no way shortens it. 

17 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Really Apple should be replacing the batteries for free

They really shouldn't be. 

23 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Actually no, that is what is trying to be proved in court. Further what Apple did extends the life of a phone, and in no way shortens it. 

apple lawyer at work. do they pay you? giv me apple's email, i'll send a recommendation so they hire you.

"mr. whoever reads this, this guy has been defencing your company to a point you could even question if tim cock should be president. It feels like jobs 2.0 is back! 100% will never converted to your cult, but eh.

signed: the dude who buys apple copies from the competition"

edit:

https://www.rtbf.be/tendance/techno/detail_batteries-apple-une-nouvelle-mise-a-jour-laissera-les-utilisateurs-desactiver-le-bridage-de-leur-iphone?id=9814733

http://www.lefigaro.fr/secteur/high-tech/2017/12/28/32001-20171228ARTFIG00052-premiere-plainte-d-une-association-francaise-contre-apple.php

https://www.igen.fr/iphone/2017/12/batteries-des-iphone-les-actions-en-justice-saccumulent-102460

clearly specifies that the option to turn off the battery limiting thing came in an update after the update limiting them after consumers complained. 

8 minutes ago, The Viking said:

clearly specifies that the option to turn off the battery limiting thing came in an update after the update limiting them after consumers complained.

And? 

If they class action lawsuit wants to win they have to prove Apple did this to make people buy new devices. There simply is not evidence to that effect. 

2 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

The fact that apple was slowing down phones that were 1 and 2 years old at the time is ridiculous. I understand other phones but there is no reason that phones that new should be slowed down.

2 minutes ago, excitingcrane58 said:

The fact that apple was slowing down phones that were 1 and 2 years old at the time is ridiculous. I understand other phones but there is no reason that phones that new should be slowed down.

There is, it’s called the Lithium ion battery. 

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

There is, it’s called the Lithium ion battery. 

On a ONE year old phone? Lithium ion batteries start to degrade after two years.