copying windows files stuck at 0%

Wastheboss

Hello, so I am trying to upgrade my dads pc a little bit because it’s old and it’s too slow. I bought a 240Gb SSD by SanDisk for the operating system and few more applications he might use, I installed Windows 10 on a flash drive using windows media tool, plugged in the SSD and started installing fresh windows on the SSD but for some reason it always gets stuck at the installation screen where it says “copying windows files (0%)” I’ve tried using different flash drives and also tried cleaning the SSD through command prompt but nothing is working. Help please and thank you in advance ??

image.jpg

Are you getting activity from the flash drive? If so how long did you leave it before aborting the install and do you know what type of USB port you're using? (USB 1.1, 2.0, 3.0)

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Razor02097 said:

Are you getting activity from the flash drive? If so how long did you leave it before aborting the install and do you know what type of USB port you're using? (USB 1.1, 2.0, 3.0)

Yeah the flash drive seems to working fine and as I said I used two different ones just to be sure and I tried leaving it for over an hour and it still stayed stuck at 0% and the usb is 2.0 I’m pretty sure

I would try another flash drive and possibly if you have another HDD laying around try to install on that to see if it takes.  I am wondering if something is incompatible with that system somehow.  Also try a different USB port.

Have you thought of just cloning his current HDD to the SSD?

If the flash drive is blinking during install it seems like Windows is possibly having issues with that SSD. I concur if you have another drive laying around try installing windows on that to rule out the possibility of a problem with your installation flash drive.

Just to verify, when you said you cleaned the drive through command prompt did you format it? Or did you actually use diskpart and clean it?

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, Snipergod87 said:

I would try another flash drive and possibly if you have another HDD laying around try to install on that to see if it takes.  I am wondering if something is incompatible with that system somehow.  Also try a different USB port.

I am gonna go ahead and try different HDD and a different USB port as you suggested but what exactly do you mean by cloning HDD to SSD?

6 minutes ago, Razor02097 said:

If the flash drive is blinking during install it seems like Windows is possibly having issues with that SSD. I concur if you have another drive laying around try installing windows on that to rule out the possibility of a problem with your installation flash drive.

Just to verify, when you said you cleaned the drive through command prompt did you format it? Or did you actually use diskpart and clean it?

I’m gonna go ahead and try with a different HDD and yeah I used diskpart and cleaned it.

30 minutes ago, Razor02097 said:

I tried with a different HDD and it’s still doing the same thing, still getting stuck at 0%

35 minutes ago, Snipergod87 said:

I tried with a different HDD and it’s still doing the same thing, still getting stuck at 0%

1 hour ago, Wastheboss said:

Are you partitioning/formating the drive before attempting to install windows? Personally I've found it to be best to have my intended drive with no created partitions until the windows installer asks where you want to install, then create partitions there (Done by clicking "Advanced" hyperlink during Win7 install and make "New Volume", not sure about 10). This allows windows to create any additional partitions that it may require as well, plus you can ensure that the formatting is ideal for a windows environment.

5 hours ago, Spyder1384 said:

Are you partitioning/formating the drive before attempting to install windows? Personally I've found it to be best to have my intended drive with no created partitions until the windows installer asks where you want to install, then create partitions there (Done by clicking "Advanced" hyperlink during Win7 install and make "New Volume", not sure about 10). This allows windows to create any additional partitions that it may require as well, plus you can ensure that the formatting is ideal for a windows environment.

I didn’t creat any partitions before install before install, when I go to advance options there is only the hard dive itself I don’t see any partitions neither do I creat any myself I just select the drive and hit next and then it gets stuck at that screen 

As it's stuck at the same position even using a different hard drive then it's your installation medium.

Probably gaming or helping technophobes with tech...

45 minutes ago, userzero said:

As it's stuck at the same position even using a different hard drive then it's your installation medium.

The thing is I even tried using two different flash drives and even wiped the flash drives and reinstalled windows on them still stuck :/

4 hours ago, Wastheboss said:

The thing is I even tried using two different flash drives and even wiped the flash drives and reinstalled windows on them still stuck :/

When you select the drive and click next, does windows notify you that it's going to create partition(s)? If its not doing that then you need to make sure to create a partition on the drive selection page.

1 hour ago, Spyder1384 said:

When you select the drive and click next, does windows notify you that it's going to create partition(s)? If its not doing that then you need to make sure to create a partition on the drive selection page.

No it doesn’t say that it’s going to create partitions I thought that happens automatically once windows start installing, but I’ll give it a try by creating partitions manually. 

Just now, Wastheboss said:

No it doesn’t say that it’s going to create partitions I thought that happens automatically once windows start installing, but I’ll give it a try by creating partitions manually. 

Please do and let us know.

9 hours ago, Spyder1384 said:

Please do and let us know.

That didn’t work either :/ but I used a laptop to load windows onto the hard drive and it worked and once I plug the hard dive back into the pc it gets stuck on the loading screen :/

Windows installation should be able to create the partitions it needs. Can we get a little more info on the computer in question?

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Razor02097 said:

Windows installation should be able to create the partitions it needs. Can we get a little more info on the computer in question?

Honestly I feel like I’ve tried everything possible at this point lol and it’s an HP Pavilion p2 pc model no p2-1113w

Have you tried restoring the BIOS to defaults? Then go back in and make sure it still sees your SSD and boots to your USB flash drive. Also try to unplug anything not essential to the install of windows also. CD drive, any USB that isn't keyboard or mouse, etc... there is something about that PC specifically that is making windows unhappy... you've ruled out the SSD by trying a different HDD and verified the SSD works in a different PC

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Razor02097 said:

Have you tried restoring the BIOS to defaults? Then go back in and make sure it still sees your SSD and boots to your USB flash drive. Also try to unplug anything not essential to the install of windows also. CD drive, any USB that isn't keyboard or mouse, etc... there is something about that PC specifically that is making windows unhappy... you've ruled out the SSD by trying a different HDD and verified the SSD works in a different PC

I’ve already gone into bios and restored it to defaults and there is nothing extra plugged into the pc there was a cd drive I even took that out lol still no luck. I tried loading windows into the hard drives from a different pc and tried plugging them into the pc but when I start it up it gets stuck at the loading screen, stupid thing just won’t budge lol. The only thing I can think of at this point is that maybe it’s not liking windows 10 and I would try windows 7 but that doesn’t really make any seance tbh

Just now, Wastheboss said:

I’ve already gone into bios and restored it to defaults and there is nothing extra plugged into the pc there was a cd drive I even took that out lol still no luck. I tried loading windows into the hard drives from a different pc and tried plugging them into the pc but when I start it up it gets stuck at the loading screen, stupid thing just won’t budge lol. The only thing I can think of at this point is that maybe it’s not liking windows 10 and I would try windows 7 but that doesn’t really make any seance tbh

Maybe. Or maybe the computer is having issues copying the needed files off the USB drive. Could be a limitation of hardware, software, or completely something else. You could try the upgrade route and install Windows 7 then upgrade it to windows 10.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Razor02097 said:

Maybe. Or maybe the computer is having issues copying the needed files off the USB drive. Could be a limitation of hardware, software, or completely something else. You could try the upgrade route and install Windows 7 then upgrade it to windows 10.

Alright I’m gonna give it another try with Windows 7 and update you. Thank youuu

1 minute ago, Wastheboss said:

Alright I’m gonna give it another try with Windows 7 and update you. Thank youuu

never.PNG.c4e4c1139e72f47a496c469e944da17b.PNG

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Wastheboss said:

That didn’t work either :/ but I used a laptop to load windows onto the hard drive and it worked and once I plug the hard dive back into the pc it gets stuck on the loading screen :/

You won't be able to do it that way as windows sets itself up for the hardware configuration it was installed under preventing you from just moving the HDD from one machine to the next. Did you check the SATA mode setting in your BIOS? Should be set to AHCI.