Aero 15x vs MSI GS65 vs Asus GM501

On 4/3/2018 at 11:11 PM, ILiketoMobit said:

So even if I get the one with no g sync, If my game can stabilize in 144hz it would have less screen tearing right? And also does turning on Gsync affect response time or input lag?

If you can GET 144 FPS in game with a 1070 at all I'd be impressed. Hell, even a 1080 struggles to pull those numbers unless you're lowering image quality.

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RX 6700XT |   Twin 24" Pixio PX248 Prime 1080p 144Hz Displays | 256GB Sabrent NVMe (OS) | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #1 | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #2 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo1TB Western Digital NVMe | 2TB Sabrent NVMe | Intel Wireless-AC 9260

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2018 at 8:08 PM, DeWat4 said:

If you're looking for a laptop with good battery life, avoid one with a G-Sync panel. G-Sync prevents the discrete GPU from turning off, which results in worse battery life.

Untrue....The Asus Has te ability to switch between G-Sync & Optimus. Thus, when your on the road, put it in Optimus mode. WHen you wanna game, switch to G-Sync. That was the deciding factor to me. Just received mine on Friday. I am glad I returned the Alienware 17 w/1080 GTX & 4K screen. That thing was a behemoth. This Zephyrus laptop is stunning. And built solidly. It may not me macnined from a single piece of aluminium, but its just as ridig. 

Oh, and of course, the REAL decision of this over the cooler thin bezel 15X & MSI GS65, those both have 1070 GTX MAX-Q Gpu's. The Asus has the full spec 1070. #NuffSaid

GET THE ZEYPHYRUS!!!!! 

On 4/6/2018 at 1:15 PM, TheDankKoosh said:

Best battery life and color accuracy would probably go to the aero 15 (get the non x variant), brightness is kind of a toss-up, response time will probably go to either the MSI or Asus (the msi would probably be the best choice here). Overall I would go with Aero for pro work, or MSI for gaming, Asus hasn't made a good laptop in years. All would require a repaste.

You need to see the Asus, compare true specs, and you would have a different view of things. 

54 minutes ago, AshyOne said:

Untrue....The Asus Has te ability to switch between G-Sync & Optimus. Thus, when your on the road, put it in Optimus mode. WHen you wanna game, switch to G-Sync. That was the deciding factor to me. Just received mine on Friday. I am glad I returned the Alienware 17 w/1080 GTX & 4K screen. That thing was a behemoth. This Zephyrus laptop is stunning. And built solidly. It may not me macnined from a single piece of aluminium, but its just as ridig. 

Oh, and of course, the REAL decision of this over the cooler thin bezel 15X & MSI GS65, those both have 1070 GTX MAX-Q Gpu's. The Asus has the full spec 1070. #NuffSaid

GET THE ZEYPHYRUS!!!!! 

52 minutes ago, AshyOne said:

You need to see the Asus, compare true specs, and you would have a different view of things. 

The asus doesn't really do any better than max-q spec gpus since Asus likes to power throttle things all to hell so their temps look acceptable. 

Pic related is the GM501 power throttling to base clocks on both the cpu and gpu cause Asus doesn't like for people to experience the full performance of their own hardware

Don't be fooled into thinking that this machine is any better than other thin and lights, most of them are pretty bad from a performance standpoint (execpt Aorus and clevo)

Cheaper and nearly equally as thin clevos are coming out soon and will definitely run circles around any of these three choices anyhow.

stresstest.jpg

8086k Winner BABY!!

Main rig

CPU: R7 5800x3d (-25 all core CO 102 bclk)

Board: Gigabyte B550 AD UC

Cooler: Corsair H150i AIO

Ram: 32gb HP V10 RGB 3200 C14 (3733 C14) tuned subs

GPU: EVGA XC3 RTX 3080 (+120 core +950 mem 90% PL)

Case: Thermaltake H570 TG Snow Edition

PSU: Fractal ION Plus 760w Platinum  

SSD: 1tb Teamgroup MP34  2tb Mushkin Pilot-E

Monitors: 32" Samsung Odyssey G7 (1440p 240hz), Some FHD Acer 24" VA

GFs System

CPU: E5 1660v3 (4.3ghz 1.2v)

Mobo: Gigabyte x99 UD3P

Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO

Ram: 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 C16 (3000 C14)

GPU: EVGA RTX 2060 Super 

Case: Phanteks P400A Mesh

PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650w

SSD: Kingston NV1 2tb

Monitors: 27" Viotek GFT27DB (1440p 144hz), Some 24" BENQ 1080p IPS

On 4/3/2018 at 11:09 PM, ZM Fong said:

Gigabyte Aero 15X has the best battery life, but the new model runs very hot. Would not recommend anymore unless you willing to do LM repaste.

From early reviews, GS65 also has good battery life (though not better than Aero 15X), however it seems like it also runs hot. Need to wait for full, detailed review.

GM501 has improved cooling (inner temps still a bit high due to thin profile), however it has poor battery life.

Display wise, all options above are about the same image quality.

Being fair, the only stress test from I saw on notebookcheck showed it pushing 90*C on the CPU and pretty damn high on the GPU too... but Prime and Furmark push more wattage through your components. It's well known that Prime95 has had most 65w CPUs heat up to the range of most 100w CPUs with those loads... so the stress tests are truly of no consequence and more for bragging rights to showoff that your design is insurmountable.

The stress test for the 7559 I have shows the CPU breaking close to 90*C under absolutely maximum load. In games, even the most stressful ones, it never pushes above 80*C. 

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RX 6700XT |   Twin 24" Pixio PX248 Prime 1080p 144Hz Displays | 256GB Sabrent NVMe (OS) | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #1 | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #2 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo1TB Western Digital NVMe | 2TB Sabrent NVMe | Intel Wireless-AC 9260

6 hours ago, AshyOne said:

Untrue....The Asus Has te ability to switch between G-Sync & Optimus.

ASUS did some Harry Potter shit to get that to work...so yes it's untrue for that one laptop, but in general, G-Sync prevents the use of the iGPU for most laptops.

Optimus or not, the battery life is still dogshit on the Asus.

So I was deciding between these computers too. For me battery life and weight are the more important factor. 2 hours each way on the train everyday isnt fun with heavy back-bag.

CPU, RAM, GPU wise they should be more or less the same. Maybe the Aero will be 5 to 15% slower bc of the maxQ. Unless of course thermal, which is a problem for all thin & light.

ASUS weights a lot comparing to the other two. 230w adapter + 5.4lb. So this is a no-no for me. And battery sucks

MSI seems to be better since is cheaper, 3 usb 3.1 gen 2, decent battery, and lighter. But the biggest problem is the upgradability. If it is similar to the other MSI model, you need take out half the computer to upgrade. Another thing is that it seems flimsy.

So that leave me with the Aero.

I have currently put the Asus one out of my consideration due to the bezels, battery life, and colour accuracy. I am considering between the GS65 and the Aero 15x, just that for the Aero 15x, the high response time observed by Notebookcheck.com is making me reconsider, and for the GS65, the chassis flex observed by Dave Lee is making me reconsider. Also, it seems like the GS65 has a lower response time, higher Adobe RGB accuracy, and faster WIFI card. However, on the Aero 15x, it seems like the screen is brighter and the battery lasts longer. Can anyone verify the information that I was able to collect?

8 minutes ago, ILiketoMobit said:

snip

There might have variations in response times, Adobe RGB coverage, brightness etc even though it's the same panel model. The 2 panels in Aero 15X (CFL-H) and GS65 are about the same IMO. Aero 15X has better battery life, but like I said above, it has mediocre cooling, need LM repaste.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

You actually can colour calibrate your laptop's panel. Notebookcheck has already provided the ICC profiles for the Asus and Gigabyte. Lots of tutorials on YouTube if ya need to learn how to do it. The Aero 15x does not have space for a hard drive btw. You're limited to a Toshiba 512GB NVME SSD which you may or may not wanna change because it's roughly 37% slower than the Samsung SSD on the GM501 and possibly the GS65.

• 2 weeks later...

I would go with GS 65 its  the cheapest among them and gives a lot of value for the price. The problem with aero 15x is its price and the problem with zephrus m is the shorter battery life.

20 minutes ago, Ajplays99098 said:

I would go with GS 65 its  the cheapest among them and gives a lot of value for the price. The problem with aero 15x is its price and the problem with zephrus m is the shorter battery life.

GS65 isn't any cheaper either. Cooling only slightly better than Aero 15X. Battery life is noticeable shorter. Chassis has too many flex so it loses points in build quality.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

12 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

GS65 isn't any cheaper either. Cooling only slightly better than Aero 15X. Battery life is noticeable shorter. Chassis has too many flex so it loses points in build quality.

For the moment I am sold for the Aero 15x. Thanks for the advice btw.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like there is a new contender in the game. I was also looking into these two models, leaning towards the MSI, but today the new Razer Blade 15 got released.

What's your take on the Razer? Heard the previous had terrible QC.

15 minutes ago, WolveLX said:

What's your take on the Razer? Heard the previous had terrible QC

Terrible quality and QC. Unless they improve

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Terrible quality and QC. Unless they improve

Yeah, I would only buy a Razer in a Microsoft Store or similar. But this new one is really tempting, the build quality and specs are on par with the MSI GS65 that i was already set on purchasing this week.

30 minutes ago, WolveLX said:

But this new one is really tempting

Wait for reviews first, Razer have a reputation of making bad laptops

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

12 hours ago, WolveLX said:

Looks like there is a new contender in the game. I was also looking into these two models, leaning towards the MSI, but today the new Razer Blade 15 got released.

What's your take on the Razer? Heard the previous had terrible QC.

I saw as well. Thank god I waited. Will consider between gs65, aero 15x v8, and the razer blade 15

11 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

Wait for reviews first, Razer have a reputation of making bad laptops

I am blindly hoping that the "new" razer blade (This time really with the new design and all that) I hope all the problems in the past are magically fixed so I can just subdue myself into razer's corporate tactics.

On 4/6/2018 at 12:41 AM, micha,idk said:

Im guessing battery life isn't ur concern?

Get a power bank with an ac outlet and your problem is solved

I get 2 hours and 30mins of battery life on Optimus (web browsing and discord)

• 1 month later...
On 4/4/2018 at 10:01 AM, ILiketoMobit said:

So, It seems like the ideal laptops for me have hit the market...

Aero 15X with 144hz 

Asus GM501 144hz

MSI GS 65 144hz

could anyone help me choose from these three?

I am considering factors such as :

Battery Life

Response time

Color Accuracy

Screen Brightness

and so on.

As I’ve got the 8RE version of the GS65 here it means that it’s got Nvidia 1060 graphics, while the Aero 15x has 1070 Max-Q graphics, so another important difference that will affect performance, however the 8RF version of the GS65 is also available with 1070 Max-Q graphics, so assuming you’re looking at that model in theory the performance differences shouldn’t be that drastic between the two.

I saw this review:   Aero 15x vs MSI GS65 

So which of these two laptops would you guys pick?

2 minutes ago, Lham said:

As I’ve got the 8RE version of the GS65 here it means that it’s got Nvidia 1060 graphics, while the Aero 15x has 1070 Max-Q graphics, so another important difference that will affect performance, however the 8RF version of the GS65 is also available with 1070 Max-Q graphics, so assuming you’re looking at that model in theory the performance differences shouldn’t be that drastic between the two.

I saw this review:   Aero 15x vs MSI GS65 

So which of these two laptops would you guys pick?

I think I will chose Aero 15X, I like it for Gaming, as for gaming, assuming both models had the 1070 Max-Q I’d expect them to perform quite similarly, however as mentioned I was not able to test this myself as my GS65 had 1060 graphics.

9 minutes ago, Kimmich said:

I think I will chose Aero 15X, I like it for Gaming, as for gaming, assuming both models had the 1070 Max-Q I’d expect them to perform quite similarly, however as mentioned I was not able to test this myself as my GS65 had 1060 graphics.

Thank for your review

23 minutes ago, Kimmich said:

I think I will chose Aero 15X

Make sure you undervolt CPU+GPU and repaste (LM is recommended, however you need to know the correct application)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler