NOT April Fools - California says Coffee shops must have cancer warning signs

Jito463

Since this doesn't fall under "tech" news, I felt it would be more appropriate here.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/03/30/california_coffee_cancer_warning/

California says that a compound called acrylamide can cause cancer in high doses.  The chemical is created when coffee beans are roasted, and when the coffee is brewed it gets into the water.  Ignoring that drinking coffee has actually been shown to reduce the risk of cancer, a judge has ruled that major coffee chains (such as Starbucks) in Cali must put up signs declaring their product contains chemicals that can cause cancer.

Talk about your lunacy.  And the funny thing is, the only reason the judge decreed it was because the coffee chains failed to prove they didn't violate the letter of the law in Proposition 65; which is the statue that forces the declarations to be made in the presence of "hazardous materials".

In short, even though coffee doesn't actually cause cancer, and has actually been shown to reduce your risk of cancer umm, something something letter of the law.

"The parties do not dispute that roasting coffee causes the release of the chemical acrylamide, and that brewed coffee contains acrylamide," Berle writes.

"Defendants do not dispute that they failed to provide warnings to consumers that the ready to drink coffee they sold contained high levels of acrylamide."

As a guy who lives in california, this is

FUCKING LUDICROUS

Like what the fuck, you gotta say EVERYTHING causes cancer? Sensitive little cunts.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

You know those Frappuccinos are more likely to cause obesity with the amount of syrups and extra whip cream people order? 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

I guess it’s time to put out a sign everywhere that the sun causes skin cancer because of UV rays and that candy and chocolate bars should bear a warning that those can cause tooth decay, obesity and diabetes. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

7 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

I guess it’s time to put out a sign everywhere that the sun causes skin cancer because of UV rays and that candy and chocolate bars should bear a warning that those can cause tooth decay, obesity and diabetes. 

All food and drink is gonna kill you.

So stop eating and drinking.

Well, bars of butter don't have a health warning, from now on we can eat nothing but pure butter.

Linus is my fetish.

Human cells cause cancer. Let’s warn that too. Inform everyone that every single cell in their can turn cancerous. Let’s start killing these cells and killing yourselves is the best way to prevent cancer.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

in California breathing gives you cancer. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

9 minutes ago, wasab said:

Human cells cause cancer. Let’s warn that too. Inform everyone that every single cell in their can turn cancerous. Let’s start killing these cells and killing yourselves is the best way to prevent cancer.

See now, I want to turn this into a dark humour joke on social media and try to get arrested.

Linus is my fetish.

Lol, California...

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

'Did you know the number 1 cause of cancer is human cells? **** yourselves to prevent cancer. Guaranteed 100% effective'.

Its probably against the rules here too hence I blurred out the naughty word.

Linus is my fetish.

This is a case of the legislators basing laws on sensationalist bad science, instead of good science. 

What’s bad science? Simple: science that is less rigorous, and that uses the weakest forms of evidence, such as anecdotal, etc. 

Most of these “___ causes cancer” studies usually rely on rats or other animals, and they typically give the animals equivalent doses that are so much higher than a human would ever encounter, as to be totally pointless of a comparison. 

Just like the MSG bullshit. They feed rats the human equivalent to multiple kilograms and the rat gets fucked up, despite humans never consuming more than a few grams of the stuff. 

Spoiler alert, moderation is important. 

Literally EVERYTHING is bad for you in too high quantities. That includes oxygen AND water. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

isn't the damn law some shit like like lead levels that are significantly lower than those found in natural vegetables have to have lead warnings and shit like that? Because no one bothered to research what's normal? 
Everything causes cancer, i want to know what really causes a lot more cancer in comparison to mild cancer. 

According to cali, coffee shops and sunbathing in xrays are both Cancer/cancer on the caner scale. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

12 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

A warning on your hands "danger, facepalming can cause death!".

They do know by saying everything causes cancer they are lessening the impact of actual carcinogen warning labels, or are they really this stupid?

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

so this is why everything says (contains chemicals know to cause cancer in the state of California) on the bottom?

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Wait... these ONLY cause cancer in the State Of California? I know where I'm never going.

Ye but giving guns to teenagers is perfectly safe oh yeah no lets make a sign for possible cancer in coffee. 

CPU: AMD 3800X GPU: GTX 1080 Ti RAM: (16GB) 2x Corsair 8gb DDR4 3200Mhz Drives: SanDisk 240GB SSD, Samsung 500GB SSD, WD 1TB HDD

Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming pro plus PSU: Gigabyte 650 watt Monitor(s): 27 inch AOC 1440p

Please include this on every bottle ever due to the fact free radicals in oxygen may cause cancer. This would include oxygen and water due to airbubles. Sealed packaging including air may induce cancer 

Lets not forget the dangerous chemical dihydrogenmonoxide. It has lead to thousands of death yearly. 100% of earths population is in contacts with this substance in high quanteties due to industrilization. The substance will inhibit breathing and may induce death if the quanteties reach a certain threshold

16 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Lets not forget the dangerous chemical dihydrogenmonoxide. It has lead to thousands of death yearly. 100% of earths population is in contacts with this substance in high quanteties due to industrilization. The substance will inhibit breathing and may induce death if the quanteties reach a certain threshold

The potentially dangerous or lethal chemical needs a warning label. Reminds me of this video lol.