Walt Disney Imagineering Partners with NVIDIA to Develop New Tech for Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge

ffemterb
Walt Disney Imagineering and Epic Games are using the Unreal Engine to develop the new Millennium Falcon ride for Star Wars Land. 

"When the new Milennium Falcon attraction launches, riders will enter a cockpit powered with a single BOXX chassis packed with eight high-end NVIDIA Quadro P6000 GPUs, connected via Quadro SLI. Quadro Sync synchronizes five projectors for the creation of dazzling ultra-high resolution, perfectly timed displays to fully immerse the riders in the world of planet Batuu."

https://www.orlandoparksnews.com/2018/03/walt-disney-imagineering-partners-with.html

Awesome, except for the fact that Disney basically destroyed my interest in Star Wars after they discontinued the EU.

9 minutes ago, ElfFriend said:

Awesome, except for the fact that Disney basically destroyed my interest in Star Wars after they discontinued the EU.

Jumping from bed with EA right into the arms of nVidia...  Staring to think that Disney has got some sort of Hybristophilia.  Does seem like they're only interested in making choices for the quarterly financials and not soo much to create anything new in house or endearing longer term.  We might have been seeing the start of the companys turn to...well not ruin, but less good.

Though I'm not as stuck on EU as others, I do appreciate depth and like it to be there when I'm inclined to deep-dive into a universe, and I've other beefs with the 'new' films.  They're just not that good.  Continuity errors, nonsensical reasoning's and shallow stories that club you over the head with little finesse and no nuance.  Meh, maybe the next movie will help get more to the others, but I doubt it.

OT:  Why would they need that much GPU power on hand to run the ride?  Wouldn't it just be better the pre-render it all and play movies files over the projectors?  I must be misunderstanding something.

I heard Walt Disney himself signed the GPP contract.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

12 hours ago, MoonSpot said:

OT:  Why would they need that much GPU power on hand to run the ride?  Wouldn't it just be better the pre-render it all and play movies files over the projectors?  I must be misunderstanding something.

It's an interactive ride.

5 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

It's an interactive ride.

Yeah, so?  Well I guess it's all about the degree to which it's interactive; could be more like a simulator.  In which case I may feel a dark and terrible need to roleplay as StarShip Troopers flight instructor Zander and pilot craft as slowly, safely and as far away from harm as possible.  Be as fun as a gud'ol fashion sunday drive, might suck for anyone else in the vehicle.

Can I blast my bagpipe and accordion compilation mix tape on the radio during this drive?  Cause that would be icing on the cake for me.

My idiotic poor taste aside.  Been awhile since I've been to amusement parks and am having a hard time seeing any interaction being more complex than flipping the proverbial switch on the tracks.