Potential Issue with Desk Monitor Mount?

Guest DeWat4
Go to solution Solved by W-L,
4 minutes ago, DeWat4 said:

Yeah, I read that most MDF boards are 1/4" to 1/2" thick. There is a metal tension bar that has these pegs that are there to counteract sag. It looks like this-tension.PNG.e7a7035c0e536cc1cf3f9dd7bc786a8f.PNG

That will help for sure, and mounting it near the legs of the desk should help prevent that. 

I'm considering buying the Ergotech Freedom Arm for my 34" LG ultrawide, but my main concern is that over time, the desk might flex in the middle. The desk in question is made of engineered wood , whatever that means. This is the desk in question.

Does anyone have any experience with putting monitor mounts on desks made of this material? I think I might be alright if I clamp it closer to the legs, but I am not sure.

3 minutes ago, DeWat4 said:

I'm considering buying the Ergotech Freedom Arm for my 34" LG ultrawide, but my main concern is that over time, the desk might flex in the middle. The desk in question is made of engineered wood , whatever that means. This is the desk in question.

Does anyone have any experience with putting monitor mounts on desks made of this material? I think I might be alright if I clamp it closer to the legs, but I am not sure.

Pretty sure it's just particle board or plywood which both would be good as they are solid core and can take a lot of weight compared to the hollow cardboard desks of Ikea. 

12 minutes ago, W-L said:

Pretty sure it's just particle board or plywood which both would be good as they are solid core and can take a lot of weight compared to the hollow cardboard desks of Ikea. 

I did some research and apparently, the desk is made of MDF, or Medium Density Fiberboard. Do you have any experience with the sturdiness of MDF, or do you know of anyone who has used a monitor mount on MDF?

I did some research and apparently, the desk is made of MDF, or Medium Density Fiberboard. Do you have any experience with the sturdiness of MDF, or do you know of anyone who has used a monitor mount on MDF?

MDF tends to sag if unsupported or a heavy load is applied, it's fairly dense and heavy but as long as the desk is thick enough then you shouldn't have any issues with a desk mount. 

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

MDF tends to sag if unsupported or a heavy load is applied, it's fairly dense and heavy but as long as the desk is thick enough then you shouldn't have any issues with a desk mount. 

My desk is about 1" thick. Would that be thick enough? I plan on clamping it as close to the legs as I can as to minimize the pressure on the middle of the desk.

2 minutes ago, DeWat4 said:

My desk is about 1" thick. Would that be thick enough? I plan on clamping it as close to the legs as I can as to minimize the pressure on the middle of the desk.

Oh yeah that should be able to hold it no problem then, the only worry is if it's somewhat thin and unsupported in the middle since it's a pretty heavy monitor. 

7 minutes ago, W-L said:

Oh yeah that should be able to hold it no problem then, the only worry is if it's somewhat thin and unsupported in the middle since it's a pretty heavy monitor. 

Yeah, I read that most MDF boards are 1/4" to 1/2" thick. There is a metal tension bar that has these pegs that are there to counteract sag. It looks like this-tension.PNG.e7a7035c0e536cc1cf3f9dd7bc786a8f.PNG

That will help for sure, and mounting it near the legs of the desk should help prevent that. 

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

Great, thanks for the help!