Why Doesn't Apple Use Nvidia GPUs?

Crunchy Dragon

Hey,

I've been wondering why Apple doesn't use Nvidia GPUs anymore. The last Nvidia chip I saw in an Apple product was a GT 750M in one of the 2013-14 iMacs, everything since then has used some form of Radeon GPU.

Does anyone know why Apple stopped using Nvidia chips?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I think it had something to do with drivers?

ORANGE SCREEN WINDOWS 10 VALUE OVER TIME - PC VS MAC

Spoiler

i5 7600k @ 5.0 GHz xD

Corsair H60 with Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

MSI Z270-A Pro Motherboard

EVGA 1050 Ti SC

16 GB Corsair DDR4 @ 2400 MHz

500 GB Sandisk 950 PRO - Windows 10, Elementary OS, Zorin OS

500 GB Sandisk 850 PRO

1 TB WD Blue

Corsair CX750

1 x Corsair AF120 Quiet Red Led

Rosewell Tyrfing Case

Spoiler

EliteBook 8570w
i7 3720QM @ 2.6 GHz
Quadro K1000M
24 GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz
250 GB SanDisk 850 EVO - Elementary OS, Windows 10, Debian

Spoiler

i5 3470 @ 3.2 GHz
EVGA 750 Ti SC
8 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz
240 GB SanDisk - Windows 10, Linux Mint

Just now, TurbulentWinds said:

I think it had something to do with drivers?

Is that what happened? I haven't kept up with Apple much.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Is that what happened? I haven't kept up with Apple much.

I'm not really sure. I was looking at a thread you cleaned early today, which honestly probably needs another clean and someone said something about Apple using AMD for OpenCL and driver reasons.

Spoiler

i5 7600k @ 5.0 GHz xD

EVGA 1050 Ti SC

500 GB Sandisk 850 PRO

1 TB WD Blue

Corsair CX750

Rosewell Tyrfing Case

Spoiler

EliteBook 8570w
i7 3720QM @ 2.6 GHz
Quadro K1000M
24 GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz

Spoiler

i5 3470 @ 3.2 GHz
EVGA 750 Ti SC
8 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz

12 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Hey,

I've been wondering why Apple doesn't use Nvidia GPUs anymore. The last Nvidia chip I saw in an Apple product was a GT 750M in one of the 2013-14 iMacs, everything since then has used some form of Radeon GPU.

Does anyone know why Apple stopped using Nvidia chips?

Money and display support (in regards to macbooks)

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

They appear to have a partnership with AMD to use their GPUs in the current line up. Who knows how long it will last though. They jump between AMD and NVIDIA depending on their mood.

Edit: tweet from the CEO herself

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

It's because in the past AMD offered low powered cards(35w) which nvidia did not have.Also because Nvidia dosen't allow other companies to modify their drivers,so the Apple level of optimization would have been difficult

My life

36 minutes ago, TurbulentWinds said:

I'm not really sure. I was looking at a thread you cleaned early today, which honestly probably needs another clean and someone said something about Apple using AMD for OpenCL and driver reasons.

*sighs* great. Can you send a link to the thread?

i cannot find the reddit thread about this, but I think one of the other reason is that nvidia does not want apple to know the core technology of how to make a GPU... or something like that..... 

so in the foreseeable future, apple is very likely to just stick with AMD.

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

Apple have had a long partnership with AMD for the graphics side of things.  Which I believe has caused some grief for those who  wanted to use an external graphics card on their older macs because units like the gigabyte gaming box are rare with decent AMD cards in them.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, mrchow19910319 said:

a lot of rumor says apple may go back to nvidia one day... but I think Apple is still a threat in the GPU market. 

I still ponder the idea of apple buying AMD.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

9 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I still ponder the idea of apple buying AMD.

never thought of that before.

but newer gen mac desktop is coming this year so we might see apple shake things up a bit. 

anyone excited for the amazingly stunning overpriced desktop apple is gonna put out? just me? okay.   /s

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

I think it's down to money. Nvidia isn't interested in the console market due to the really crappy margins (when you can milk your fans the way nvidia does it...), so AMD takes it. I'm sure Apple also pays crappy margins to the makers of most of their parts, just to have a huge margin on their side. Again, nvidia probably isn't interested in those tiny margins and leaves the market to AMD who is fine with even 5% margin, while it helps them stay afloat (consoles are what, half a billion out of the 4/5 billion they make a year?)

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

*sighs* great. Can you send a link to the thread?

The thread is here:

I'm going to post this instead of PM in case anyone wanted to go find the whole OpenCL thing. The thread isn't that bad right now but hostilities are rising . . . 

Spoiler

i5 7600k @ 5.0 GHz xD

EVGA 1050 Ti SC

500 GB Sandisk 850 PRO

1 TB WD Blue

Corsair CX750

Rosewell Tyrfing Case

Spoiler

EliteBook 8570w
i7 3720QM @ 2.6 GHz
Quadro K1000M
24 GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz

Spoiler

i5 3470 @ 3.2 GHz
EVGA 750 Ti SC
8 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz

AMD is traditionally better compute performance for the money. I believe that they just figure what would perform better for their workloads and provided you can deal with heat and power requirement, Radeon just makes more sense.

Let us not forget that Apple makes a lot of profit from direct hardware sales so cutting down costs as much as you can while getting up there in performance when needed for their "just works" mentality is important.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I read somewhere that Apple’s own applications works better with Radeon GPUs but I think it’s more of an exclusivity agreement between AMD and Apple. But it would be nuce if Apple would ship a 15” MacBook Pro with GeForce inside. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

I've heard Louis Rossmann talk about nVidia's chips in Macbooks. I think he said that Apple stopped buying from nVidia because they were the ones that shipped all of the mobile chips that desoldered themselves in Macbooks after some time, causing thousands of RMAs and warranty replacements. That probably pissed off Apple. I've never seen them use nVidia chips in their mobile or desktop computers since.

I used to be quite active here.

The other thing is AMD are probably happier to do custom names for apple than nvidia.  Remember the D500 and D700 are renamed firepro's, I can't imagine Nvidia re-branding a 1080 solely for use in a mac. 

7 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I went to go research this issue. So far all I can find is stock suggestions. 

Just to speculate along @LinusTech's lines, it may also be partially because Apple and Intel have never really gotten along all that well, and Intel and Nvidia were buddy-buddy for a long time. Every once in a while Apple mentions that it would like to go back to designing it's own processors, and that it's relationship with Intel is only one of necessity.

But, now that Intel is springing to partner with AMD to provide on die graphics, the relationship between Apple, AMD, and Intel might strengthen even further. But that's complicated again by the fact that Intel is actively working with Nvidia to research AI specific designs. 

More than likely it's all just because, right now, AMD is giving Apple a much better deal on a comparable product. At the end of the day, the goal is to make money.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

35 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

As far as I know it's to do with the RMA issues years ago. Until Nvidia is willing to pay back what Apple thinks they are owed, it's unlikely to ever change imo. 

^conjecture^

There were a few issues, particularly with macbooks models around ~2010-2013 that used the Nvidia GPUs 

Some background: https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/210665/Why+is+the+Nvidia+gpu+failing

The problem is two fold:

• NVIDIA had a bad run of GPU chips which Apple did offer a replacement program (full logic board swap-out). Sadly the program has ended.
  • What also occurred the solder joints holding the chip to the logic board also failed due to the excessive heat these chips create when running heavy graphics (i.e. gaming & video).

I wouldn't be surprised if the new Mac Pro's offer the ability to select / use an nvidia gpu once they are available — assuming they're using a standard PCIe connection — but for Mobile, i'd hazard to guess it'll be AMD for the foreseeable future.

1 hour ago, straight_stewie said:

But, now that Intel is springing to partner with AMD to provide on die graphics, the relationship between Apple, AMD, and Intel might strengthen even further. But that's complicated again by the fact that Intel is actively working with Nvidia to research AI specific designs. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the 2018 refresh of the MacBook Pro will include not only 4c ULV i5 and i7 but also mobile Vega GPUs that will use Intel's EMIB

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

I haven't kept up with the Apple side I don't know... been like 10 years dude lol