Frame Freezes when gaming, may be GPU?

18 minutes ago, CalebWorthy said:

Okay so let me give you as much info as possible...

Okay so as @Yashmit stated, it could be related to the motherboard not properly driving the CPU. But if you have the latest BIOS already, then I would contact Intel for advice, seeing as you have tested every other possibility. If they suggest RMA, then I would RMA.

Top-Tier Air-Cooled Gaming PC

Current Build Thread:

Your cpu is an 8700k the first number on these are the generation, these cpus are relatively new and incase youre unable to solve your issue it most certainly will be solved with future updates on gpu drivers and windows, if you have DOOM i suggest you try running it on the Vulkan api which is a lower level api than direct x and if it doesnt stutter it means that windows is yet to adapt to the new chipset.

6 minutes ago, CalebWorthy said:

Hm so how would I do that, also I replied to your post with some screenshots.

Yes, I saw the screenshots. Yes, youre core 4 is unusually high in usage.

So motherboard BIOS updates vary wildly by motherboard. So my Ryzen 5 1600X-powered Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 motherboard has an "Easy BIOS Flasher" feature. I simply download the lastest BIOS from the product webpage support tab from Gigabyte, stick it on a flash drive, reboot into BIOS, and there is an option to search for BIOS update files.

However, every BIOS is different. I would boot into BIOS real quick and see if there are any easy flashing options, it will make your life a hell of a lot easier if it does.

Current Build Thread:

1 minute ago, WallacEngineering said:

So motherboard BIOS updates vary wildly by motherboard. So my Ryzen 5 1600X-powered Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 motherboard has an "Easy BIOS Flasher" feature. I simply download the lastest BIOS from the product webpage support tab from Gigabyte, stick it on a flash drive, reboot into BIOS, and there is an option to search for BIOS updates.

However, every BIOS is different. I would boot into BIOS real quick and see if there are any easy flashing options, it will make your life a hell of a lot easier if it does.

Yes I did this 2 days ago. However

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z270E-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/

As you can see here the bios. But I updated it, not via USB, cause it wouldnt read the cap file, it just said that this file is not a readable bios file. So I used internet option and it read it off my computer.

When I boot to bios it says version 0606, but this says 1203.

5 minutes ago, Yashmit said:

Your cpu is an 8700k the first number on these are the generation, these cpus are relatively new and incase youre unable to solve your issue it most certainly will be solved with future updates on gpu drivers and windows, if you have DOOM i suggest you try running it on the Vulkan api which is a lower level api than direct x and if it doesnt stutter it means that windows is yet to adapt to the new chipset.

Gonna buy doom and try it, do I launch it off the Vulkan API? how do I do that.

2 minutes ago, CalebWorthy said:

Gonna buy doom and try it, do I launch it off the Vulkan API? how do I do that.

In the settings it has on API option under graphics or advanced graphics, the default option says OpenGL

1 minute ago, Yashmit said:

In the settings it has on API option under graphics or advanced graphics, the default option says OpenGL

I will try it.

5 minutes ago, CalebWorthy said:

Yes I did this 2 days ago. However

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z270E-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/

As you can see here the bios. But I updated it, not via USB, cause it wouldnt read the cap file, it just said that this file is not a readable bios file. So I used internet option and it read it off my computer.

When I boot to bios it says version 0606, but this says 1203.

Wait a minute, you said you couldn't remember if you had Z270 or Z370. Thats a problem. If you flashed a Z270 BIOS to a Z370 board, then you are in trouble.

Also, Z270 was never designed for Intel 8000 series CPUs, and can only even run them with a hack started in Asia.

Determine if you are running Z270 or Z370 for SURE. From there, RMA if running a Z270 and see if you can pay them a few bucks for an upgrade to Z370.

Current Build Thread:

5 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

Wait a minute, you said you couldn't remember if you had Z270 or Z370. Thats a problem. If you flashed a Z270 BIOS to a Z370 board, then you are in trouble.

Also, Z270 was never designed for Intel 8000 series CPUs, and can only even run them with a hack started in Asia.

Determine if you are running Z270 or Z370 for SURE. From there, RMA if running a Z270 and see if you can pay them a few bucks for an upgrade to Z370.

I have the 370, I made sure of it. Z370-E is what I have, thats what I updated it with as well. So that is not a problem.

Just now, CalebWorthy said:

I have the 370, I made sure of it. Z370-E is what I have, thats what I updated it with as well. So that is not a problem.

I am going to try doom and making sure my MOBO is updated. Let you know. I am also going to run MEMTEST86, to make sure ram is good.

30 minutes ago, CalebWorthy said:

Ok well the link you sent in the last post took me to the Z270 page. If you flashed that BIOS then that would be why its not working properly.

This would also explain why the BIOS is still showing the older version. Make no mistake, the BIOS is alwas the most correct. If it says you have version 0606, then you are running version 0606.

Try visiting this link instead: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z370-E-GAMING/HelpDesk/

Download the BIOS, put it on the USB Key and try it again. It says latest version is 0612 and that its key upgrade is system stability, so it could very well solve all your problems.

Current Build Thread:

Ok well the link you sent in the last post took me to the Z270 page. If you flashed that BIOS then that would be why its not working properly.

This would also explain why the BIOS is still showing the older version. Make no mistake, the BIOS is alwas the most correct. If it says you have version 0606, then you are running version 0606.

Try visiting this link instead: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z370-E-GAMING/HelpDesk/

Download the BIOS, put it on the USB Key and try it again.

Oh no, I did flash with that. HOLY SHIT, I feel like such duck right now, I will go fix this ASAP, I also installed all the other drivers for that too. Fuck me.

1 minute ago, CalebWorthy said:

Oh no, I did flash with that. HOLY SHIT, I feel like such duck right now, I will go fix this ASAP, I also installed all the other drivers for that too. Fuck me.

Lol its cool man with all the stupid letters and numbers from Intel, it makes sense that you could make this mistake. When you get finished updating BIOS to ver 0612, then stress test for a bit and play some games. Get back to us and let us know how you are doing.

Current Build Thread:

15 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

Lol its cool man with all the stupid letters and numbers from Intel, it makes sense that you could make this mistake. When you get finished updating BIOS to ver 0612, then stress test for a bit and play some games. Get back to us and let us know how you are doing.

Updated BIOS and chipset, sadly that did not do anything. What tests would you like me to run, I can do anything, maybe one you're more familiar with if that would help. Then I can send you the results.

Need to run memtest86 thought I dont think its ram.

8 minutes ago, CalebWorthy said:

Updated BIOS and chipset, sadly that did not do anything. What tests would you like me to run, I can do anything, maybe one you're more familiar with if that would help. Then I can send you the results.

Memtest is a good start. But first we should check if your BIOS is updated correctly. Boot into BIOS after a restart and double check to confirm version 0612. If correctly updated, then we move on to stress testing...

Download HWiNFO64, Prime95 and Unigine Valley. Open HWiNFO64 and select the "Sensors" option. This will give you the MOST accurate temps and voltages readout. If you have overclocking software for your 1080 Ti, open it now. Otherwise, download it and get it running. We wont be using it to overclock right away, just to use it as monitoring software for the GPU.

Gotta be honest, 80C+ is a bit toast for ANY GPU. Even with MAX OC I never see mine breach 75C even stress testing. Most of the time it runs below 70C, no matter what the game.

So go ahead and run Prime95 and Unigine at the same time, put Unigine in windowed mode and run max settings. Keep an eye on temps and watch for studdering, freezing. You will want to run this test for at least 60 minutes.

Current Build Thread:

15 minutes ago, CalebWorthy said:

Well its definately software at this point, all you can do is wait for updates to roll out

On 21/03/2018 at 12:41 PM, Crunchy Dragon said:

It could be your internet, all of these are online games and your PC should easily manage 144Hz in all of them.

that's the first thing that come to mind...poor internet connection?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

that's the first thing that come to mind...poor internet connection?

Tried going to a friends house, same thing. Not the game servers becasue games that have never done it before are doing it now for some reason.

7 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

Memtest is a good start. But first we should check if your BIOS is updated correctly. Boot into BIOS after a restart and double check to confirm version 0612. If correctly updated, then we move on to stress testing...

Download HWiNFO64, Prime95 and Unigine Valley. Open HWiNFO64 and select the "Sensors" option. This will give you the MOST accurate temps and voltages readout. If you have overclocking software for your 1080 Ti, open it now. Otherwise, download it and get it running. We wont be using it to overclock right away, just to use it as monitoring software for the GPU.

Gotta be honest, 80C+ is a bit toast for ANY GPU. Even with MAX OC I never see mine breach 75C even stress testing. Most of the time it runs below 70C, no matter what the game.

So go ahead and run Prime95 and Unigine at the same time, put Unigine in windowed mode and run max settings. Keep an eye on temps and watch for studdering, freezing. You will want to run this test for at least 60 minutes.

Any idea what this is?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ko3sKNRoqc6r86P6I-m7YCmihnvm0IgK

this is for the hwinfo

4 minutes ago, CalebWorthy said:

Any idea what this is?

this is for the hwinfo

Hmmmm, never seen that issue before, I would select the "Do not Monitor this Sensor" option and continue on.

It is getting late. Im only up because Im at work (grave shifts). Go ahead and turn on all the stress testing and monitor software, set Windows Sleep settings to NEVER turn off the screen or go to sleep (these interrupt the process), start the tests, and go to sleep. An 8 hour run will give you sure-fire, dependable results.

Current Build Thread:

Hmmmm, never seen that issue before, I would select the "Do not Monitor this Sensor" option and continue on.

It is getting late. Im only up because Im at work (grave shifts). Go ahead and turn on all the stress testing and monitor software, set Windows Sleep settings to NEVER turn off the screen or go to sleep (these interrupt the process), start the tests, and go to sleep. An 8 hour run will give you sure-fire, dependable results.

Oof, those grave shifts are brutal. Okay, so I use Afterburner for GPU so thats that, one last question, for the HWinfo, is ther anything I should do to how it looks or leave it as it is, and it will tell me the min and max of everything, any other way it should be so I can screenshot it to you?

10 minutes ago, CalebWorthy said:

Any idea what this is?

this is for the hwinfo

Its probably the temp sensors on the motherboard and its id must be unknown to the software and shouldnt create any issues i would suggest actually monitoring that sensor as any data is good data when you have no idea whats wrong

5 minutes ago, CalebWorthy said:

Oof, those grave shifts are brutal. Okay, so I use Afterburner for GPU so thats that, one last question, for the HWinfo, is ther anything I should do to how it looks or leave it as it is, and it will tell me the min and max of everything, any other way it should be so I can screenshot it to you?

There should be a couple of squares with arrows at the bottom of the window. Press the one with arrows pointing away from one another. This will expand the window so you can see more info. We want to see CPU usage, voltage, and temps, and Motherboard VCore if possible. Here is how I set mine up (Ignore the circled area I used this picture as an example in another thread):

5aac667c6e562_DailyOCSettings.jpg.a459c46edadc22a6fc2cec969b7c9d77.thumb.jpg.e5563e12685cf259af10b90c51187a9a.jpg

Current Build Thread:

13 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

There should be a couple of squares with arrows at the bottom of the window. Press the one with arrows pointing away from one another. This will expand the window so you can see more info. We want to see CPU usage, voltage, and temps, and Motherboard VCore if possible. Here is how I set mine up (Ignore the circled area I used this picture as an example in another thread):

5aac667c6e562_DailyOCSettings.jpg.a459c46edadc22a6fc2cec969b7c9d77.thumb.jpg.e5563e12685cf259af10b90c51187a9a.jpg

Got it, and I am running both tests at the same time? I mean that just makes my FPS in valley at like 15 lol.

Just now, CalebWorthy said:

Got it, and I am running both tests at the same time? I mean that just makes my FPS in valley at like 15 lol.

Yep, both your CPU and GPU need to.be maxed out. Tomorrow when you wake up, just observe for about 10 minutes before screen shotting and shutting the tests down. Look for freezing and other symptoms like yours. Then we move on to stressing each component individually. Have a good night!

Current Build Thread: