15 Year Old Backdoors Ledger Hardware Cryptocurreny Wallet

FirstArmada

https://saleemrashid.com/2018/03/20/breaking-ledger-security-model/

"There is absolutely no way that an attacker could replace the firmware and make it pass attestation without knowing the Ledger private key," officials said in 2015. Earlier this year, Ledger's CTO said attestation was so foolproof that it was safe to buy his company's devices on eBay.

On Tuesday, a 15-year-old from the UK proved these claims wrong. In a  post published to his personal blog , Saleem Rashid demonstrated proof-of-concept code that had allowed him to backdoor the Ledger Nano S, a $100 hardware wallet that company marketers have said has sold by the millions. The stealth backdoor Rashid developed is a minuscule 300-bytes long and causes the device to generate pre-determined wallet addresses and recovery passwords known to the attacker. The attacker could then enter those passwords into a new Ledger hardware wallet to recover the private keys the old backdoored device stores for those addresses.

Using the same approach, attackers could perform a variety of other nefarious actions, including changing wallet destinations and amounts for payments so that, for instance, an intended $25 payment to an Ars Technica wallet would be changed to a $2,500 payment to a wallet belonging to the backdoor developer. The same undetectable backdoor works on the $200 Ledger Blue, which is billed as a higher-end device. Variations on the exploit might also allow so-called "evil maid attacks," in which people with brief access to the device could compromise it while they clean a user's hotel room.

Good thing Ledger is french, if it was AT&T this kid would've had the FBI knock down his door in the middle of the night and spend the next decade inside a jail cell.

What's with all these kids achieving shit. 

When I was 15 I was making my own wallhacks at best, most I ever achieved. 

Whoever cures cancer will be 14 I swear. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1 minute ago, Syntaxvgm said:

When I was 15 I was making my own wallhacks at best. 

I don't even know what I did when I was 15...

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

5 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

When I was 15 I was making my own wallhacks at best. 

Being 15 fairly recently I can tell you majority are not, at least in Canada, it seems as if number of prodigies are rising while overall IQ is falling

When I was 15 I was eating freddos(FOR 5 PENCE EACH!) and swinging off trees, followed by a concussion, and that was for fun. Damn kids these days!

17 minutes ago, NovusBal said:

When I was 15 I was eating freddos(FOR 5 PENCE EACH!) and swinging off trees, followed by a concussion, and that was for fun. Damn kids these days!

The price of fredos makes me sad.

When I was 15 I was hacking browser text games for lots of gold.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

When I was 15 I thought running a Minecraft server was some big accomplishment....

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

When I was 15 I was using a sinclair spectrum, feeling up schoolgirls, and marveling at the new technology of the time, which was a dual VCR that could copy the tapes.

[edit] Thinking about it I may have been 16-17 for the dual VCR thing... NOT the schoolgirls thing as in my country we leave school at 16, and then I was working shifts and had not time to date :(

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

1 hour ago, paddy-stone said:

When I was 15 I was using a sinclair spectrum, feeling up schoolgirls, and marveling at the new technology of the time, which was a dual VCR that could copy the tapes.

Yeah, and I'm supposed to believe that waiting for the Spectrum to read those cassettes left you enough time for girls :P

[edit] Thinking about it I may have been 16-17 for the dual VCR thing... NOT the schoolgirls thing as in my country we leave school at 16, and then I was working shifts and had not time to date :(

Kinda weird that you specify schoolgirls. I mean at 15 who else would you be with?

6 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Well TBH kid's brains are on steroids compared to adults, the earlier he is exposed to a domain the better. For example every ChessMaster would never take on students who are older than 9-10, they claim their brain is already too old to be trained properly into thinking that much ahead. So prolly this kid started hacking when he was much younger.

3 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Kinda weird that you specify schoolgirls. I mean at 15 who else would you be with?

The obvious answer is schoolboys? I mean, gay people exist, after all.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

You'd be surprised, especially as I mentioned that we leave highschool at the age of 16. But yeah, was a bit redundant I guess as Most 15 year old schoolboys would be into schoolgirls.

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

4 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Yeah, and I'm supposed to believe that waiting for the Spectrum to read those cassettes left you enough time for girls :P

LOL - now why didn't I think of that instead of watching some lame TV shows while I waited :(

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

5 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

feeling up schoolgirls

Now you'll end up being outed on social media, arrested with adult charges and expelled from school.

Hmm a topic about a backdoor just majorly derailed into going on about how a guy said "schoolgirls" instead of "girls"

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

4 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

well this schoolboy was into schoolkickinghardwaresecurityinthebutt

Yeah unfortunately I was born too early IMO, and we didn't even have an internet as we know it today at that time... I was 19-20 when Berners-Lee? created TCP and we actually had a world wide web to speak of. And although that was a good time, few people had the resources to spend on PCs at the time IMO. I got my first x86 PC in 1994-5 with a pentium 90 and even then that was expensive. Defintely more expensive than todays PCs, and they didn't come with cd-roms, modems or GPUs... IIRC it was around £1000-1200 for a very basic PC, and I got the cd-rom and soundcard for an additional £150. I didn;t even get a modem and dial-up until around 1999, and was massively relieved when we could finally get broadband in 2001-2002, even at 256KB/s was massively faster than dial-up and seemed amazing at the time :D

18 hours ago, DoctorWho1975 said:

Now you'll end up being outed on social media, arrested with adult charges and expelled from school.

I didn't mean against their will, LOL

5 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

My point was they could have left it at girls.

Yes I could have, but at a certain age, talking about your achool days, you generally say schoolgirls and schoolboys, just to be specific.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Yeah unfortunately I was born too early IMO, and we didn't even have an internet as we know it today at that time... I was 19-20 when Berners-Lee? created TCP and we actually had a world wide web to speak of. And although that was a good time, few people had the resources to spend on PCs at the time IMO. I got my first x86 PC in 1994-5 with a pentium 90 and even then that was expensive. Defintely more expensive than todays PCs, and they didn't come with cd-roms, modems or GPUs... IIRC it was around £1000-1200 for a very basic PC, and I got the cd-rom and soundcard for an additional £150. I didn;t even get a modem and dial-up until around 1999, and was massively relieved when we could finally get broadband in 2001-2002, even at 256KB/s was massively faster than dial-up and seemed amazing at the time :D

I didn't mean against their will, LOL

Yes I could have, but at a certain age, talking about your achool days, you generally say schoolgirls and schoolboys, just to be specific.

I mean when you say 15 that seems like it would be implied unless you specified to the contrary. It just sounds weird to say schoolgirl tbh. I honestly don't even know of many people who use the term like ever.

16 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I mean when you say 15 that seems like it would be implied unless you specified to the contrary. It just sounds weird to say schoolgirl tbh. I honestly don't even know of many people who use the term like ever.

Must be an age thing then and maybe country specific also.. older generation definitely say it, like "when I was a schoolboy of 15" kind of thing. As I said, I erred on this occasion and made a redundant statement somewhat. But not all schoolboys date schoolgirls, some date college girls, girls that work instead of going to any further education etc. when you're that age and leave school at 16, you might be dating a girl that's already left school, and so on.

Implied statements can be wrong, so it's better to be specific where possible anyway IMO.

What's your age? if you're under 30 or even 40, then you're probably less likely to hear or use the terms maybe. when the older generations reminisce, they are more likely to use the terms IMO.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

I do love how bent out of shape people get over words.  When I was a teenager at school we had a term for it that was drilled into you.

Sticks and stones.

Fucking learn it.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

On 3/21/2018 at 6:44 AM, Syntaxvgm said:

Exactly this. I'm pretty competent and have made some nice stuff in the 21 years I've been alive but it's nothing exceptional. Like I've got a freenas server, pfsense router (for my vpn server), pretty decent github profile (most of which is private atm and the remainder is on my own gitgogs server), etc. but while these put me ahead of the majority it's nothing close to what some of these kids are capable of. Worse seeing stuff like this of kids doing impressive stuff makes me feel like I had in some way failed myself.

On 3/21/2018 at 6:50 AM, FirstArmada said:

Being 15 fairly recently I can tell you majority are not, at least in Canada, it seems as if number of prodigies are rising while overall IQ is falling

*Gasp* maybe IQ is just like the Dark Side of the Force! It does best if it can accumulate and concentrate in a few individuals rather than being spread over an empire. We need a Darth Bane that'll introduce the order of academia or something :P

7 hours ago, ElfFriend said:

Exactly this. I'm pretty competent and have made some nice stuff in the 21 years I've been alive but it's nothing exceptional. Like I've got a freenas server, pfsense router (for my vpn server), pretty decent github profile (most of which is private atm and the remainder is on my own gitgogs server), etc. but while these put me ahead of the majority it's nothing close to what some of these kids are capable of. Worse seeing stuff like this of kids doing impressive stuff makes me feel like I had in some way failed myself.

Parents affect kids a lot, so blame your parents xD

*Gasp* maybe IQ is just like the Dark Side of the Force! It does best if it can accumulate and concentrate in a few individuals rather than being spread over an empire. We need a Darth Bane that'll introduce the order of academia or something :P

I don't think this guy's IQ has anything to do with this, it's more likely his interest.Imagine being locked in a room with some devices, you'd either examine them completely or die of boredom, that's the reason why some young people do things older people can't (or maybe he has a lot of free time).

On 21-3-2018 at 1:46 PM, Nicnac said:

I don't even know what I did when I was 15...

I could tell you what I was doing back then, but that would definitely get me banned from the LTT forums...

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

2 hours ago, Syfes said:

I could tell you what I was doing back then, but that would definitely get me banned from the LTT forums...

stealin cars and f***ing bi***es?

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido