NAS suggestions for plex and Home storage

So basically what im looking for is a NAS with 4 bays preferably 2.5 inch but not opposed to 3.5 inch drives. Id like to stay under $200 Australian.

The NAS would be used for hone storage between the family and as a plex server. Id also assume the nas would be in raid so i want backup so if anyone can help after the fact thatd be fun??

If people can give Australian sites thatd be great but all good if just the nas's ill go from there ?

Edit: So while the budget mentioned above is really low if anyone can suggest NAS's even if they are above that price that'd be great. I don't have the option to build a small pc as a shuttle pc

Edited by JazzaWil

1 hour ago, JazzaWil said:

So basically what im looking for is a NAS with 4 bays preferably 2.5 inch but not opposed to 3.5 inch drives. Id like to stay under $200 Australian.

The NAS would be used for hone storage between the family and as a plex server. Id also assume the nas would be in raid so i want backup so if anyone can help after the fact thatd be fun??

If people can give Australian sites thatd be great but all good if just the nas's ill go from there ?

Is that with or without drives?

6 minutes ago, Supportsneedlove said:

Is that with or without drives?

Without, i have a 2.5 inch drive lying around and I'm alright to pull the 3.5 inch out of my pc. I'll buy additional in the future and transfer data as i do.

Bump 

And heads up for anyone who looks at the post Hard drives aren't included just a pure NAS also it may not of been obvious but i want a off the shelf NAS

On 3/21/2018 at 6:55 AM, JazzaWil said:

Bump 

And heads up for anyone who looks at the post Hard drives aren't included just a pure NAS also it may not of been obvious but i want a off the shelf NAS

If you just going to do plex and smb shares buy a synology disk station nas. They work well, just make sure you get one that is capable of running plex not all do.

This is my opinion, it doesn't mean I'm right and is liable to change at any time. I may offend of which I apologize in advance.

(Our lord and savior: GabeN)

10 hours ago, Thermite said:

If you just going to do plex and smb shares buy a synology disk station nas. They work well, just make sure you get one that is capable of running plex not all do.

Yeah i was looking at those but i think the normally cheap store(MSY) the cheapest was about $400 without drives. I was using the plex compatibility excel spreadsheet to double check. 

Finding an x86 NAS in that price range won't be easy and most likely will need to be sourced from the used market.

ARM based appliances are likely to not support smooth transcoding, if any at all.

On 3/22/2018 at 9:47 PM, JazzaWil said:

So heres something i've found  https://imgur.com/a/nZnu0. Its compatible with plex and would do what i need. Its also the cheapest compatible device i've found when refrencing this https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MfYoJkiwSqCXg8cm5-Ac4oOLPRtCkgUxU0jdj3tmMPc/edit#gid=1274624273

You could just build a shuttle pc. Basically a normal pc case that is mini itx motherboard compatible. They are very small and would probably take up the same amount of space. If you have some DDR3 laying around you can probably put the machine together for around 300 dollars. Then all you need is drives so another 300 or so there.

This is my opinion, it doesn't mean I'm right and is liable to change at any time. I may offend of which I apologize in advance.

(Our lord and savior: GabeN)

On 23/03/2018 at 11:02 PM, Dark said:

Finding an x86 NAS in that price range won't be easy and most likely will need to be sourced from the used market.

ARM based appliances are likely to not support smooth transcoding, if any at all.

yeah doing the research i'm not going to be able to just go out and buy it gonna have to save for a bit but hey if you have any cheaper than the one listed above i'd love to take suggestions :)

11 hours ago, Thermite said:

You could just build a shuttle pc. Basically a normal pc case that is mini itx motherboard compatible. They are very small and would probably take up the same amount of space. If you have some DDR3 laying around you can probably put the machine together for around 300 dollars. Then all you need is drives so another 300 or so there.

As much as i'd love to do that the NAS in the household i'm in is a much simpler option or i'd have just done the shuttle pc

get a cheap PC off gumtree, craiglist ebay or similar, and one with a core2duo or better (you want 2 cores and 4GB RAM min but it doesn't need that much) with 4+ SATA ports on it an use that. I have done this for both my NASs (first one as an old PC I had, and the next one cost me £40 off gumtree I believe, so go that route I suggest.) If you want to add more drives get a SAS/SATA RAID card, (I got one for £20 and plan to implement it soon)

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

On 25/03/2018 at 12:40 AM, JazzaWil said:

As much as i'd love to do that the NAS in the household i'm in is a much simpler option or i'd have just done the shuttle pc

On 25/03/2018 at 7:47 AM, grimreeper132 said:

get a cheap PC off gumtree, craiglist ebay or similar, and one with a core2duo or better (you want 2 cores and 4GB RAM min but it doesn't need that much) with 4+ SATA ports on it an use that. I have done this for both my NASs (first one as an old PC I had, and the next one cost me £40 off gumtree I believe, so go that route I suggest.) If you want to add more drives get a SAS/SATA RAID card, (I got one for £20 and plan to implement it soon)

like i mentioned in the post above a shuttle pc or just cheap pc is out of the question otherwise i would of done so.