Help With 1440p Local Recording on OBS Studio

Hello again, everyone!

Synopsis:

I'm here this time looking for help setting up OBS Studio for 1440p 60FPS local recording on version 21.0.1. Absolutely everywhere I look online has little to know information on this, and what's out there simply does not work at all. I'd like to get this polished before Sea of Thieves releases very soon (though I won't be able to start until tomorrow night, rip).
I'm using Forza Horizon 3 as my benchmark, running in native res (1440) on medium-high details, and AA off. This setup gives me 120FPS when I'm not recording.
I've gotten sort of close, with my best attempt having semi-frequent frame dropping on the recording, while my monitoring is perfectly fine at around 90FPS.

OBS Settings Currently:
NVENC H.264
Native
CQP 15
Keyframe Interval: 0
Preset: High Quality
Profile: High
Level: Auto
Use Two-Pass Encoding: Yes
Gpu: 0
B-Frames: 2

Like I said, this was sort of close because it looked pretty good, but had frame drop issues. I really don't want to sacrifice how it looks and I shouldn't have to. The hardware I'm running is:

PC Hardware:
GTX-1080 (EVGA SC)
Ryzen 7 1700 OC to 3.9GHz (water cooled)
32GB 3200MHz RAM

There are no thermal issues or hardware spikes at all even while recording with the aforementioned settings. I've run monitoring to check that things are running smoothly on that end, so I'm leaning heavily on my OBS settings being the problem. That being said, I'll do anything to get this running, so if you'd like me to try something on the hardware end, I'm willing to do that. 

There isn't much info on this exact outcome- 1440p 60FPS on the latest OBS, but if you can help me I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Thanks!!

-Cal

5 minutes ago, Calico Morgan said:

Turn off two pass, use CPU affinity to force the game to use 2c/4t -4c8t and give the rest of the CPU to OBS.

Should post a screenshot of your settings.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

10 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Turn off two pass, use CPU affinity to force the game to use 2c/4t -4c8t and give the rest of the CPU to OBS.

Should post a screenshot of your settings.

image.png.5c92f3197adaef3ffb718b0d71fa5aca.pngimage.png.397af824b43f838304c85343216132ba.pngimage.png.391e164da4287d673206d90ed1addee0.png

There was no change after disabling 2 pass encoding and designating cores.

NVENC uses your GPU to encode, not your CPU, you could just use shadowplay to do that.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

So it's impossible to record as I'd like with OBS..? Seems pretty terrible. I'd REALLY rather use the same program I have all of my scenes set up on and all that. 

5 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

NVENC uses your GPU to encode, not your CPU, you could just use shadowplay to do that.

3 minutes ago, Calico Morgan said:

So it's impossible to record as I'd like with OBS..? Seems pretty terrible. I'd REALLY rather use the same program I have all of my scenes set up on and all that. 

Just switch it to CPU encoding and find settings that work, Probably very Fast or Super Fast for the encoding part, and CRF 20-24 or like a crazy high bitrate in CBR, I can do 50K on 4c/8ts of an R7 1700, but that's at 1080p, or maybe it was 5 cores 10 threads.

Or lower your settings for GPU encoding in OBS.

OBS.png

Spoiler

image.png.428c76e87c042cc2fa45385fd5da61a1.png
This seems to be the best I can get with slight framing

It's almost likely that it'll be fine on most other games. Forza is extremely demanding, which is why I'm using it to bench.

You do not need 125,000 bitrate, 75K is already more than enough

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

You do not need 125,000 bitrate, 75K is already more than enough

I did 50k, framed. Did 75k, framed, same all the way up to 200k. Everything had dropped frames except mostly for the 125k area.

Just now, Calico Morgan said:

I did 50k, framed. Did 75k, framed, same all the way up to 200k. Everything had dropped frames except mostly for the 125k area.

50K/75K takes less work than 125K, so I don't know why they would drop frames while 125K didn't, probably just give the game 2c/4t, and give OBS 6c/12t

Or record the game at 1080 to make it easier.

Spoiler