What graphics card to choose

Jamesgames99

I want to play city skylines but don't know what graphics card to get, can anyone help?

Budget, under £500. I want to get a desktop and at the min have a HP laptop with 8gb RAM i5 dual core running at 2.4GHz intel integrated graphics (2gb ram). I want to play city skylines with HD textures, with lots of mods and assets in and for it not to lag or jump. does that help?

thanks

So is £500 for a GPU? Or the entire PC? Is it for a desktop, a laptop or both? 

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

If you are going just for a desktop PC I recommend this list of parts: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Trappingguy/saved/wnjVYJ  You have a sort of tight budget and this goes over a by about $60 when you pick a case. It is $699.99 US Dollars or 499.01 Pounds. You need a case and that will set you over $700. I didn't want to pick one because everyone has their own style but when you pick one you need the case to support ATX motherboards. This did not include any operating system, keyboard, mouse, moniter or any other accessories. That is my suggestion build. Good luck!

My laptop is about 5yrs old, and gets to 75 degrees C on the cores fast. It is £500 for the whole PC

16 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

So is £500 for a GPU? Or the entire PC? Is it for a desktop, a laptop or both? 

2 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

I remember skylines running pretty decently on lower end GPUs.  A 750 ti was enough to max it iirc.

It's very CPU heavy though, especially on large maps.

3 hours ago, Jamesgames99 said:

Budget, under £500. I want to get a desktop and at the min have a HP laptop with 8gb RAM i5 dual core running at 2.4GHz intel integrated graphics (2gb ram). I want to play city skylines with HD textures, with lots of mods and assets in and for it not to lag or jump. does that help?

thanks

you need a better CPU to play it the way you want first

1 hour ago, Jamesgames99 said:

My laptop is about 5yrs old, and gets to 75 degrees C on the cores fast. It is £500 for the whole PC

Right, i just wanna make sure i understand here, you aren't trying to upgrade the laptop right? And this is £500 for a whole PC? Cause a Ryzen 1600 is gonna run ya lot of your budget

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

See I aint even got to the GPU yet

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  (£151.14 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£79.98 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£92.97 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£35.99 @ Aria PC)
Case: BitFenix - Nova ATX Mid Tower Case  (£25.19 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM (2015) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£48.86 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £434.13
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-03-19 22:34 GMT+0000

Ryzen Ram Guide

1 hour ago, AaronsDev said:

If you are going just for a desktop PC I recommend this list of parts: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Trappingguy/saved/wnjVYJ  You have a sort of tight budget and this goes over a by about $60 when you pick a case. It is $699.99 US Dollars or 499.01 Pounds. You need a case and that will set you over $700. I didn't want to pick one because everyone has their own style but when you pick one you need the case to support ATX motherboards. This did not include any operating system, keyboard, mouse, moniter or any other accessories. That is my suggestion build. Good luck!

unfortunately with our taxes it doesn't quite work like that aka just using the coversion

Same build on Uk PCPP

CPU: Intel - Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£165.00 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI - Z270-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£108.79 @ Alza)
Memory: Crucial - 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (£60.17 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£35.99 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB GAMING X 4G Video Card  (£198.86 @ More Computers)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM (2015) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£48.86 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £617.67
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-03-19 22:36 GMT+0000

Ryzen Ram Guide

18 hours ago, stealth80 said:

Right, i just wanna make sure i understand here, you aren't trying to upgrade the laptop right? And this is £500 for a whole PC? Cause a Ryzen 1600 is gonna run ya lot of your budget

18 hours ago, stealth80 said:

See I aint even got to the GPU yet

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  (£151.14 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£79.98 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£92.97 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: BitFenix - Nova ATX Mid Tower Case  (£25.19 @ Aria PC)
Total: £434.13
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-03-19 22:34 GMT+0000

It is a new PC, does the AMD Ryzen 5 include graphics?

36 minutes ago, Jamesgames99 said:

No that CPU does not support Graphics then you'll need AMD RYZEN 5 2400G

21 hours ago, Jamesgames99 said:

I want to play city skylines but don't know what graphics card to get, can anyone help?

And your rest system? You can't install and play the Game on a GPU alone.

Cities skyline is HEAVY CPU dependant.

With big cities (and i mean, REALLY big ones) you will face a CPU Bottleneck. Even in 4k, even with a 1k € Intel CPU.

On the GPU part, it's not that demanding. Depending on Settings.

3 hours ago, Jamesgames99 said:

no, my point was that you wanted a Ryzen 1600 (fair pick due to how CPU demanding that title is) but you will need to up your budget to get a worthwhile GPU

Ryzen Ram Guide

36 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

no, my point was that you wanted a Ryzen 1600 (fair pick due to how CPU demanding that title is) but you will need to up your budget to get a worthwhile GPU

Do you know of any CPUs that include GPUs that ISNT a AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor, because when I try to use it in the part picker it comes up with the error 

This is my part picker that I am thinking of getting, any tips on it?

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/JamesCrawford/saved/6QYFdC

Thanks!! 

Screenshot_20.png

Screenshot_19.png

59 minutes ago, Jamesgames99 said:

Do you know of any CPUs that include GPUs that ISNT a AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor, because when I try to use it in the part picker it comes up with the error 

Thanks!! 

Screenshot_20.png

Screenshot_19.png

If you click the warning it states that some motherboards may need a bios update to support the newer CPU's - this will be a problem if the bios hasn't been updated as you need a CPU (normally) to update the bios and the 2400g wont be compatible if the bios hasn't been updated. I would however like to think at this point that the boards have been updated. 

Ryzen Ram Guide

1 hour ago, Jamesgames99 said:

Thanks!! 

Screenshot_20.png

Screenshot_19.png

You can wait for the B450 motherboards to come out, go for a higher end board that has self flashing features, or go for a cheap intel cpu + gt 1030.  I think it would be worth it to wait and get guaranteed compatibility.  R5 Vega >>>> intel iGPU

19 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

If you click the warning it states that some motherboards may need a bios update to support the newer CPU's - this will be a problem if the bios hasn't been updated as you need a CPU (normally) to update the bios and the 2400g wont be compatible if the bios hasn't been updated. I would however like to think at this point that the boards have been updated. 

Generally motherboards will ship with the stock bios unless it's specified otherwise in the product page itself.  Sometimes the board has a revision number but generally I find that you can't really verify if the board you'll get is a revision.  You could probably fact check that by going on the board maker's forums but I know that's largely the case on the intel side (I presume AMD is the same).

On 3/20/2018 at 12:34 AM, Jamesgames99 said:

If you have a FHD or HD  screen go for R5 2400G it's a capable CPU  and has Decent GPU integrated.

As your budget is limited right now, i personally don't recommend a dedicated card for now...

The vega 11 with 2gb would do high settings in 1080p and max settings in 720p for cities skylines with ease.

Buy a dedicated gpu later, 

Config

16gb of 2400 or 3000 mhz ram

Msi b350 gaming pro (supports overclocking and up to date bios for 2400g)

AMD R5 2400G

Any 650W - 80+ Rated power supply will be a good choice both for possibly adding a gpu or overclocking cpu

And with 500 budget, you'll have something left for your favorite case and other things

Edit: Also you can get a cpu from amd for free in order to update bios if you ran into compatibility problems ,follow this link https://support.amd.com/en-us/warranty/rma

17 minutes ago, Jamesgames99 said:

Hello, anyone able to get this below £500? I want 12 GBs of RAM at least.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/JamesCrawford/saved/#view=y6ZTHx

Thank you!

Hm hang in there in april the Ryzen 1st gen lineup is going to drop in price since the 2nd gen is out then... so that 1600 is going to drop since the 2600 is coming out... and if its not that far above the current 1600 price i would go for the 2600 instead.. abit higher clocks and 5-15% gains in ipc (instructions per clock) 

For gpu go nick your mate´s old gpu, and use that ;) you can probably find a 2nd hand market 750-780 for reasonable low cost .. 

Its a though one to buy a new pc in this day and age ;)