Triple channel ddr4

Hi I'm thinking about giving my pc a ram upgrade and was just wondering if I could buy a dual channel kit and use my old single channel ram stick along with the new ram so it would run in triple channel ddr4 configuration.

I don't think there's triple channel ram, also what CPU are you using? Tbh I don't think that it works, the two will probably function in dual channel with the third one sitting around(still funktional maybe, tbh I didn't test sth like this on my own)

Quote=Reply      Feel free to tag me or sth if you have questions about Liquid Metal :) ROCKETS ARE LIFE                                                                      My current build:                                    

CPU: I7 6700k@4.7Ghz 1.31sth V; Liquid Metal (Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut) | Cooler: Corsair H100iv2 | GPU: HIS R9 390 | Motherboard: Asus Z170-A | RAM: 16GB 2133Mhz HyperX FuryX | Storage: 1x 250GB Samsung 960 Evo 1x random 4TB 7200RPM HDD | Case: Lian Li Alpha  550W | PSU: Corsair RM650i | Misc.: 6x Lian Li 120mm Bora RGB Fans

My Build Log: 

you will get extra capacity at half the bandwidth

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Just now, laugerasmussen said:

Hi I'm thinking about giving my pc a ram upgrade and was just wondering if I could buy a dual channel kit and use my old single channel ram stick along with the new ram so it would run in triple channel ddr4 configuration.

That's only if you're memory controller allows for triple channel operation.

Channel is always down to memory controller (I think, pls help). There might be dual or quad channel optimized kits, but that's probably just closely matched pairs of RAM.

If you're on a platform that supports dual channel, then that's the best you're allowed. If you're on a platform that allows for quad channel, then triple is possible.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

welcome to the Linus Tech Tips forums!

so far, no triple channel DDR4 exists. you'd over buy with a quad-channel and use only three of the four sticks.

the additional stick will only be worth half the speed in single channel mode.

Modules do not mean channels.

Z170 and Z270 as well as B350 and X370 are dual channel platforms.  You would be putting two modules in one channel and a single module in the other.

This requires the memory having, at the least, very similar timings.  Exactly matching timings is even better.

10 minutes ago, thelordofwarr said:

I don't think there's triple channel ram, also what CPU are you using? Tbh I don't think that it works, the two will probably function in dual channel with the third one sitting around(still funktional maybe, tbh I didn't test sth like this on my own)

Triple channel exists, but hasn't been an actual thing since X79 IIRC.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 hour ago, thelordofwarr said:

A ryzen 3 1200 with b350m-a motherboard

57 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Triple channel exists, but hasn't been an actual thing since X79 IIRC.

X58 and LGA 1366 was the only triple channel platform AFAIK.

4 minutes ago, laugerasmussen said:

Only supports dual channel.

You can run three DIMMs though without "major" issues.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

4 hours ago, laugerasmussen said:

4 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Only supports dual channel.

You can run three DIMMs though without "major" issues.

You can run three DIMMs, but it won't be triple channel.

I don't recall how odd-numbered DIMM configurations work on Dual-Channel CPUs/motherboards these days...but you either end up with:

• Dual-Channel + Single-channel OR
  • Single-channel with three (3) memory modules

Channeling is not determined by how many memory sticks you have, it plays a role, but how the CPU handles how the memory (e.g. the Integrated Memory Controller). 

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

6 hours ago, -rascal- said:

I don't recall how odd-numbered DIMM configurations work on Dual-Channel CPUs/motherboards these days...but you either end up with:

Channeling is not determined by how many memory sticks you have, it plays a role, but how the CPU handles how the memory (e.g. the Integrated Memory Controller). 

"Single-channel with three (3) memory modules"

No, its two DIMMS per channel.  The only 3 DIMM per channel setups were single channel, which means more than 15 years ago.

13 hours ago, -rascal- said:

ok thank you!

14 hours ago, -rascal- said:

right ok.

11 hours ago, KarathKasun said:

"Single-channel with three (3) memory modules"

No, its two DIMMS per channel.  The only 3 DIMM per channel setups were single channel, which means more than 15 years ago.

What I am trying to say is, I probably didn't word it properly...

If you have two (2) DIMMs already in dual-channel mode (e.g. in matching coloured DRAM slots), adding a third DIMM into a separate colour-coded DIMM will cause the IMC to run in single-channel for ALL three (3) DRAM sticks.

I should be able to just run CPU-Z and look this up...since my old FX-8350 system is running with three memory modules, on a dual-channel supporting CPU and motherboard....

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

1 minute ago, -rascal- said:

What I am trying to say is, I probably didn't word it properly...

If you have two (2) DIMMs already in dual-channel mode (e.g. in matching coloured DRAM slots), adding a third DIMM will cause the IMC to run in single-channel for ALL three (3) DRAM sticks.

Ive not seen that since the P4 days honestly.  OG Phenom and above did interleaving to cover this scenario AFAIK.  Intels IMC's are much more recent (no IMC for a significant time after AMD had one) and have had this feature as well.