Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

 

Thank you,

Moderation Team

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

I so badly want a Compaq Portable Model III.

Dunno quite what to do with it, but I want one.

Of course prices for ones in working shape are...dire so it will remain a pipe dream for now.

so get one that doesn't!

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, will4623 said:

so get one that doesn't!

And then what? My electrical repair skills are .....modest...at best

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/31/2019 at 12:00 PM, Bitter said:

XP, being NT based, was WAY more stable for sure!

there was never a reason to "upgrade" to xp if you had 98 

I was using 98 until windows 7 for most VM's from linux and my laptop i somehow had 98 on it

i didnt play fallout 3 on xp for example in xp's whole lifetime, just 98

you also had a better ui, DOS games, 10x better. 98 was the last decent windows op imo

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

98 had less stability and you lost the ability to use new hardware as it came out plus were stuck with older DX and OpenGL versions. Also stuck on 3GB RAM though XP 64bit was a joke.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, RelativeMono said:

there was never a reason to "upgrade" to xp if you had 98 

I was using 98 until windows 7 for most VM's from linux and my laptop i somehow had 98 on it

i didnt play fallout 3 on xp for example in xp's whole lifetime, just 98

you also had a better ui, DOS games, 10x better. 98 was the last decent windows op imo

I HAD to install XP.  I couldn't get 98 to play with my 2400+ at the time

 

Edit:  Glad i did too

 With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2019 at 1:27 AM, RelativeMono said:

there was never a reason to "upgrade" to xp if you had 98 

I was using 98 until windows 7 for most VM's from linux and my laptop i somehow had 98 on it

i didnt play fallout 3 on xp for example in xp's whole lifetime, just 98

you also had a better ui, DOS games, 10x better. 98 was the last decent windows op imo

I had a teacher in 2004 who told me that when everything got stuck in the company network where he worked, he tried to repair it from the only machine that still had Windows 98. It was the slowest one ever but the only one that still worked when the others couldn't. He used to preffer 98 over XP for this reason. 

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, seagate_surfer said:

I had a teacher in 2004 who told me that when everything got stuck in the company network where he worked, he tried to repair it from the only machine that still had Windows 98. It was the slowest one ever but the only one that still worked when the others couldn't. He used to preffer 98 over XP for this reason. 

98 wasnt slow, maybe the comp it was on but i ran mine with a pentium 4

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RelativeMono said:

98 wasnt slow, maybe the comp it was on but i ran mine with a pentium 4

Yeah, probably it was the computer. But the thing is that it was the only computer that didn't get stuck, I only heard good things about the 98 during that time. ?

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an unopened 80GB MAXTOR IDE HDD... It's from one of my colleague, he say to me : you take it or i trow it. Might be 100% usefull but who knows.

IMG_20191105_220913.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought I'd show off an old build with some Antec 900 goodness. My first Intel build in years (second build in this case).

Intel Core i7-920

Asrock X58 Extreme Motherboard

2x Sapphire Radeon 5770 in Crossfire

4x 500gb HDD in RAID 0

6x Adata XPG 2GB DDR3 1600

Ubiquitous DVD Burner

 

I still have the case.  Sadly the hardware was sold off to fund new PC.

 

704941442_RebelsHell3.thumb.jpg.df6d08763067d866a273fcd1d2b38e0a.jpg

 

 

Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Jessica.Fox said:

At some point I need to show some of my things. It's been a while since I last hopped onto this.

So don't wait, take pictures, we want to see your old things :)

PC #1 : Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI | i7-7700 | Cryorig C7 Cu | 16GB DDR4-2400 | LSI SAS 9211-8i | 240GB NVMe M.2 PCIe PNY CS2030 | SSD&HDDs 49.5TB total | Quantum LTO5 HH SAS drive | GC-Alpine Ridge | Corsair HX750i | Cooler Master Stacker STC-T01 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz (plugged HDMI port, shared with PC #2) | Win10
PC #2 : Gigabyte MW70-3S0 | 2x E5-2667 v3 | 2x Intel BXSTS200C | 32GB DDR4-2133 ECC Reg | MSI RTX 3080 Ti Suprim X | 2x 1TB SSD SATA Samsung 870 EVO | Seasonic SSR-850TR | Lian Li PC-A77 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 144 Hz (plugged DP port, shared with PC #1) | Win10
PC #3 : Mini PC Zotac 4K | Celeron N3150 | 8GB DDR3L 1600 | 250GB M.2 SATA WD Blue | Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB | Samsung Blu-ray writer USB | Genius SP-HF1800A | TV Panasonic TX-40DX600E UltraHD | Win10
PC #4 : ASUS P2B-F | PIII 500MHz | 512MB SDR 100 | Leadtek WinFast GeForce 256 SDR 32MB | 2x Guillemot Maxi Gamer 3D² 8MB in SLI | Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA | 80GB HDD UATA | Fortron/Source FSP235-60GI | Zalman R1 | DELL E151FP 15" TFT 1024x768 | Win98SE

Laptop : Lenovo ThinkPad T61p | T9500 | 4GB DDR2 667 | Quadro FX 570m | 120GB SSD OCZ Vertex 2 | 15.4" TFT 1920x1200 | Win10

PC tablet : Fujitsu Point 1600 | PMMX 166MHz | 160MB EDO | 20GB HDD UATA | external floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 800x600 touchscreen | AGFA SnapScan 1212u blue | Win98SE

Laptop collection #1 : IBM ThinkPad 340CSE | 486SLC2 66MHz | 12MB RAM | 360MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

Laptop collection #2 : IBM ThinkPad 380E | PMMX 150MHz | 80MB EDO | NeoMagic MagicGraph128XD | 2.1GB IDE | internal floppy drive | internal CD-ROM drive | Intel PRO/100 Mobile PCMCIA | 12.1" FRSTN 800x600 16-bit color | Win98

Laptop collection #3 : Toshiba T2130CS | 486DX4 75MHz | 32MB EDO | 520MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" STN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

And 6 others computers (Intel Compute Stick x5-Z8330, Giada Slim N10 WinXP, 2 Apple classic and 2 PC pocket WinCE)

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Ienien77 said:

I have an unopened 80GB MAXTOR IDE HDD... It's from one of my colleague, he say to me : you take it or i trow it. Might be 100% usefull but who knows.

 

WOW! I would keep it like that just to show off. ?

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, seagate_surfer said:

WOW! I would keep it like that just to show off.

Last year, we retired a system here at work (gov't) with an original sub-1GB seagate hard drive, that was still working. It was something like 320MB or so. Lovely "little" kit. Quite the chatterbox tho, like a woodpecker on a tin roof.

 

/seagate for life!

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Last year, we retired a system here at work (gov't) with an original sub-1GB seagate hard drive, that was still working. It was something like 320MB or so. Lovely "little" kit. Quite the chatterbox tho, like a woodpecker on a tin roof.

 

/seagate for life!

WOW! So cool, you should've kept that drive.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, seagate_surfer said:

WOW! So cool, you should've kept that drive.

I do still have it, just not in one piece (regs you know)

In the 2 decades I've used seagate drives for builds for clients/gov't agencies, I can count on one hand the number of dead seagates, and on one finger, the number that died in warranty. The rest were well out of warranty, and in one case, 10 years out of warranty, so I'll let that slide...but only this one time ;)

 

Like I said, seagate for life.

 

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm using this old Tecra 740CDT to run some dos games and whatever Windows 98 games will run.  I was a bit surprised with the core speed reported by CPUZ since the specs list it as a Pentium 60.  I got it from the local police service who was throwing it out a couple years ago.  Needs a new floppy drive and I'm trying to source a cardbus USB card that works but other than that it's running pretty good.  4 GB hard drive, 2 GB compact flash I use for transferring files, 144 MB of memory and, believe it or not, the battery actually still works.  I can get around an hour out of it.

 

The scary part?  I managed to kludge it online with an ethernet card, lightweight browser and a madcatz wireless access point.

cpu-121.jpg

IMG_20191107_162838299.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2019 at 10:08 PM, Radium_Angel said:

Last year, we retired a system here at work (gov't) with an original sub-1GB seagate hard drive, that was still working. It was something like 320MB or so. Lovely "little" kit. Quite the chatterbox tho, like a woodpecker on a tin roof.

 

/seagate for life!

We trow so much stuff (a working 1366 Lenovo Thinkstation running a 2 core Xeon) and so much stuff that i can't keep because of space and legal issue 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2019 at 3:28 PM, Genwyn said:

Taking out boxed stuff to clean it up and make sure it all works.

380ED from 1997 still going without issue, screen is still... mushy, but not any worse than last time 

ThinkPad gang! I will have to post pictures of my X200 tablet soon :P 

I've only used air cooling, my old signature was a lie ❤️

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is my Lenovo X200 Tablet that I picked up recently, it had a Core 2 Duo, 4gb and no hard drive. I just upgraded it today with a motherboard from the X201 tablet that uses the same layout minus a few screws and got it upgraded to an i7 640LM. I also installed an SSD and will being putting it up to 8GB, it has a new battery as well. Since this tablet was designed when Windows Vista was the current OS it is great to see how much better Windows 10 makes this device especially with the stylus. I currently use this for work and I love it!

 

Note: There are a few different versions of this device, this one comes with the Walcom display that only works with the stylus. The downside is you don't get a glass display but being a Walcom device the accuracy of the pen/stylus is spot on. Other models have a regular touch screen and there is also non-tablet models as well.  

 

2pAkbx0.jpg

Yn2v75M.jpg

I've only used air cooling, my old signature was a lie ❤️

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, iHardware Shelden said:

This is my Lenovo X200 Tablet that I picked up recently, it had a Core 2 Duo, 4gb and no hard drive. I just upgraded it today with a motherboard from the X201 tablet that uses the same layout minus a few screws and got it upgraded to an i7 640LM. I also installed an SSD and will being putting it up to 8GB, it has a new battery as well. Since this tablet was designed when Windows Vista was the current OS it is great to see how much better Windows 10 makes this device especially with the stylus. I currently use this for work and I love it!

 

Note: There are a few different versions of this device, this one comes with the Walcom display that only works with the stylus. The downside is you don't get a glass display but being a Walcom device the accuracy of the pen/stylus is spot on. Other models have a regular touch screen and there is also non-tablet models as well.  

 

2pAkbx0.jpg

Yn2v75M.jpg

That stylus is pressure sensitive as well isn't it? Looks very similar to the one used with my Mum's old HP Touchsmart TM2 which also has a Wacom touchscreen (the i5 450um is a lot slower than the i7+its also a lot thicker so its not as good a laptop/tablet)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

 

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

 

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dabombinable said:

That stylus is pressure sensitive as well isn't it? Looks very similar to the one used with my Mum's old HP Touchsmart TM2 which also has a Wacom touchscreen (the i5 450um is a lot slower than the i7+its also a lot thicker so its not as good a laptop/tablet)

Yes it is! If you hold it then it takes it as a right click so real easy to use. This i7 is hot being a first gen, the core 2 duo was a lot cooler. I am running R20 and R15 on it now so ill post those on the cinebench thread hopefully soon.

I've only used air cooling, my old signature was a lie ❤️

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×