Premium Built Quality Ultrabook For Everyday Use

I'm looking to buy a ultra book for my everyday use, which is lots of tabs (30+) + excel + light photo editing for social media ;) 

I'm going with ultra books just because of their premium builds.

I've shortlisted 2 Options.

1st Option - https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B076N6K19D/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A31IW80MLISZMQ

2nd Option -  https://www.compuindia.com/dell-xps-series/new-xps-13-xps13937058256is.html ( i7 8th gen model with 16 gb ram and 512gb ssd )

I'm looking for a ultrabook with these four things being most important:

• Good battery life 8+ hours
  • Graphics card no worse than an MX150
  • 16gb of ram
  • A quad-core i7 processor (I'm especially having a hard time being willing to sacrifice this one)

Budget: $2500 (USD Approx) Because everything is heavily taxed in India ;) 

PS: XPS line has coil whine issue and Spectre X360 15 seems to be a toaster, runs pretty hot and fans makes a lot of noise even on moderate usage 

XPS 13.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

My XPS 13 9343 has been a great daily driver but I actually have a HP Spectre x360 13t coming in the mail today so they're both certainly good options :)

Just FYI the XPS 13 you have linked does not have a GPU

Surface Book

What are you doing?

A macbook may also be a good option

My life

48 minutes ago, General Winter said:

if possible i would recommend the LG gram

both the 2017 and 2018 variants have 8th gen cpu's and mx150

http://www.lg.com/us/laptops?cmpid=social|HE|laptop|gram_IRM|Catpage|Youtube|AustinEvans

I agree. Also for the non floatplane guys, there should be a video coming about the new version soon. Got some pretty compelling arguments going for it.

1 hour ago, kelvinhall05 said:

XPS 13.

9360 or 9370 ?

Could you provide some links of online stores in your country? I can help. Also, could you state your budget in your country currency?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

3 minutes ago, Trendsin said:

9360 or 9370 ?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 hour ago, NelizMastr said:

I'm not comfortable with the idea of buying asus laptop/notebook, due to their bad service record in my country (India)

52 minutes ago, cdsboy2000 said:

My XPS 13 9343 has been a great daily driver but I actually have a HP Spectre x360 13t coming in the mail today so they're both certainly good options :)

Just FYI the XPS 13 you have linked does not have a GPU

I know XPS 13 don't have dedicated gpu but still 9360/9370 are workhorse 

29 minutes ago, Himommies said:

Surface Book

What are you doing?

A macbook may also be a good option

Surface book 2 isn't available in my country ( India ), Not comfortable with Macbooks as I'm working on windows most of the time, moreover Macbook refresh is around the corner so if I've to buy one then I'll go with the new one with 8th gen processor

4 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Could you provide some links of online stores in your country? I can help. Also, could you state your budget in your country currency?

Sure, 

Store 1 - flipkart.com

Store 2 - Amazon.in 

Store 3 - compuindia.com/dell-xps-series.html

Budget - $2500 ( USD ) or Rs. 1,50,000.

Are you sure you need dGPU? If yes, looks like the only option is Asus UX430UN. There are other options like Asus UX331UN and Acer Swift 3 but the 8GB RAM (not upgradable) may be a limiting factor in multitasking. Also, if you can find HP Spectre x360 15, it's a good option if you don't mind the bigger footprint. It sports a 25W MX150 BTW (which runs a bit warm)

FYI, MX150 in most Ultrabooks is the 8W variant which is only slightly faster than 940MX. Also, i5 and i7 don't have much performance difference in ULV CPUs due to TDP and cooling limitations. Don't expect Ultrabooks have excellent cooling to cool the dGPU.

Edited by ZM Fong

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

1 hour ago, NelizMastr said:

snip

But with mediocre build quality and battery life which is no no for me.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, ZM Fong said:

Are you sure you need dGPU? If yes, looks like the only option is Asus UX430UN. There are other options like Asus UX331UN and Acer Swift 3 but the 8GB RAM (not upgradable) may be a limiting factor in multitasking. Also, if you can find HP Spectre x360 15, it's a good option if you don't mind the bigger footprint. It sports a 25W MX150 BTW (which runs a bit warm)

FYI, MX150 in most Ultrabooks is the 8W variant which is only slightly faster than 940MX. Also, i5 and i7 don't have much performance difference in ULV CPUs due to TDP and cooling limitations. Don't expect Ultrabooks have excellent cooling to cool the dGPU.

may be I don't as I'm into just light gaming that too once in a while, but I wanted to be safe ;) I'm not convinced with asus laptops due to their poor after sales track record in my country.

Hp spectre x360 15 seems to be a good option and it has legacy ports as compared to XPS 13 9370 but people aren't happy with cooling solution of HP X360 and they told me it really runs hot and loud even on moderate usage.

19 minutes ago, Trendsin said:

people aren't happy with cooling solution of HP X360 and they told me it really runs hot and loud even on moderate usage.

It's an Ultrabook. You can't have decent cooling inside such thin chassis. Moreover it packs a regular 25W MX150 while MX150 in most Ultrabooks is the 8W variant. For me, the inner temps under load, surface temps under load and fan noise under load are still acceptable.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

4 hours ago, Trendsin said:

I know XPS 13 don't have dedicated gpu but still 9360/9370 are workhorse 

If you don't mind that then perhaps the HP Spectre X360 13t would be a good choice? I'm in the process of setting mine up right now but it's running the latest Coffee Lake i7 8500u which supposedly has significantly better performance than last gen's 7500u

9 hours ago, cdsboy2000 said:

If you don't mind that then perhaps the HP Spectre X360 13t would be a good choice? I'm in the process of setting mine up right now but it's running the latest Coffee Lake i7 8500u which supposedly has significantly better performance than last gen's 7500u

if I'll go with spectre x360 then I'm gonna pick the 15 inch model because it has dedicated gpu ( MX 150 ) 

16 hours ago, Trendsin said:

if I'll go with spectre x360 then I'm gonna pick the 15 inch model because it has dedicated gpu ( MX 150 ) 

Go for it :)

I can tell you from my 24 hours of experience with the HP Spectre x360 13t (w/ i7 8500u) that's it's overall really nice. It was running a bit too hot for my liking and hitting 95c under synthetic load, but after undervolting and repasting it's at a cool 70c.

I'm not sure how the 15-inch model will be but repasting on the 13-inch was a pain; I had to entirely remove the motherboard (which required about a dozen ribbon cable disconnections) to reach the heatsink which was a bit too much stress than I would have liked. In the end it was certainly worth it but do this at your own risk.

8 hours ago, cdsboy2000 said:

Go for it :)

I can tell you from my 24 hours of experience with the HP Spectre x360 13t (w/ i7 8500u) that's it's overall really nice. It was running a bit too hot for my liking and hitting 95c under synthetic load, but after undervolting and repasting it's at a cool 70c.

I'm not sure how the 15-inch model will be but repasting on the 13-inch was a pain; I had to entirely remove the motherboard (which required about a dozen ribbon cable disconnections) to reach the heatsink which was a bit too much stress than I would have liked. In the end it was certainly worth it but do this at your own risk.

Thanks for the update :) I'm going with XPS 13 ( 9370 ) for the moment, will update the thread once i'll get my hands on it :) 

PS: I love the screen of XPS 15 but last gen i7 keeps telling me to get the newer i7 processor :) duh, so much confusion :D I'll update the thread within few hours, going to get one of these. Cheers