During Cinebench test, 8700k spikes up to 90C while Ryzen stays 66C. can't be normal?

hey guys

So i bought myself an 8700k on a deal i couldnt pass up so I side graded from ryzen to coffee lake. (know Ryzen + and whatnot). I did it because i basically purely game. 

I OC'd it to 5Ghz on a Noctua UH14s. the 14s handles gaming load temps perfectly fine but when I ran the cinebench test it spiked straight to 90

Is it potentially a sign that my thermal paste isn't spread evenly? I'm using Arctic MX-4. or is this just normal? 

The Ryzen 1700 I have set up for my gf I do the same test (3.8Ghz using a Dark Rock TF) and that doesn't go above 66C. 

Edit: or is it something to do with Intel using thermal compound below the IHS and ryzen is Soldered? I'm not too familiar that in depth. 

Intel cpus use an igpu so they use toothpaste for the ihs (not really but might as well be) this is due to the intergrated gpus not being able to handle the soldering process with as well as the cpu portion. Due to this they tend to run 10-20 degrees above what they would run soldered like ryzen cpus. 

R7 2700x (4.3ghz), Gtx Titan Xp Galactic Empire (Watercooled), 2x8 Gskill Trident 3200mhz, Asus Crosshair VII Hero Wifi, Corsair 900D, SAMSUNG 960 PRO M.2 256gb, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, 4x3tb 7200rpm Segate Barracudas in Raid 10 EKWB Custom Loop, Corsair AX1500i Power supply

11 minutes ago, SwingLifeAway92 said:

Intel cpus use an igpu so they use toothpaste for the ihs (not really but might as well be) this is due to the intergrated gpus not being able to handle the soldering process with as well as the cpu portion. Due to this they tend to run 10-20 degrees above what they would run soldered like ryzen cpus. 

sandy bridge?

soldered = yes

igpu = yes

38 minutes ago, SwingLifeAway92 said:

nah, Intel's just being cheap.

yes, the iGPU in my factory soldered chip works.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Bare in mind ryzen is package temps only not there hottest core 

consider a delid 

if ur in U.K. I can post u my tool as long as u send it back 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

7 hours ago, Ebony Falcon said:

Bare in mind ryzen is package temps only not there hottest core 

consider a delid 

if ur in U.K. I can post u my tool as long as u send it back 

Sadly in the US :/ Also what do you use to stick the IHS and cpu back together? do you buy a specific adhesive? 

32 minutes ago, LaboonTheWhale said:

Sadly in the US :/ Also what do you use to stick the IHS and cpu back together? do you buy a specific adhesive? 

Super glue on all four corners after you've put it back together. Your IHS will sit flush and it's easy to delid again if necessary. 

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

45 minutes ago, LaboonTheWhale said:

11 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Super glue on all four corners after you've put it back together. Your IHS will sit flush and it's easy to delid again if necessary. 

The conventional wisdom is that you don't stick it back together at all. You just place it in the socket and use the socket retention mechanism to hold it together. Introducing any sort of adhesive can introduce a small difference in height between the IHS and the die, therefore it's just better to remove all previous adhesive and keep it there with the mounting pressure.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 hour ago, TheRandomness said:

The conventional wisdom is that you don't stick it back together at all. You just place it in the socket and use the socket retention mechanism to hold it together. Introducing any sort of adhesive can introduce a small difference in height between the IHS and the die, therefore it's just better to remove all previous adhesive and keep it there with the mounting pressure.

Or put the glue on AFTER setting the IHS on. None of it gets underneath the IHS. 

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

Or put the glue on AFTER setting the IHS on. None of it gets underneath the IHS. 

That's what I mean. Superglue wouldn't have as much of an issue as say, silicone sealant, simply because it still raises the IHS up, even just a little bit.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

4 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

That's what I mean. Superglue wouldn't have as much of an issue as say, silicone sealant, simply because it still raises the IHS up, even just a little bit.

Yeah, I was just saying that you can still use adhesive. You just need to put it on the outside.

I resealed with a tiny ting dot of silicon in 2 corners and spread thin with a razor blade then tightened up really tight and left it for 30 mins

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper