Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Monitor FLASHES when i stand up from my chair

I've had this problem for I think 2 weeks now? Whenever I stand up from my chair, my monitor flashes for like 0.2 seconds, black, sometimes twice. Im not touching the desk, im not wearing headphones, I have no contact with anything. I have checked the power and video connections to the monitor. They are not loose, and if I pull them from side to side, nothing happens. This never seem to happen when I actually get in my chair, only when I get out of it. I have the Acer Predator XB271HU, one guy one overclock.net had the same issue as me... http://www.overclock.net/forum/44-monitors-displays/1633110-monitor-flickering-when-standing-up-my-chair.html. Do you think it is ESD? Here is video, sorry for video being sideways LOL! Go to 0:12

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the rooms approximate humidity?  What is the floor like where the chair resides?  Can you unplug one device (mouse,keyboard) at a time and replicate the monitor's flicker?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MikeSK said:

What is the rooms approximate humidity?  What is the floor like where the chair resides?  Can you unplug one device (mouse,keyboard) at a time and replicate the monitor's flicker?  

humidity: no clue. The floor, not sure, what it is made of, but it looks like this https://imgur.com/a/q3VDC, no carpet or anything. No I can not. I should mention, I recently got a new chair, and the switch may have coincided with when the flickering started to happen. Cant say if it never happened before, tho I havent really noticed it before these two weeks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My worry is that this will somehow damage the screen. I mean, when u spent 750 € for it, u kinda wanna know what it is...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you change the environment and or move the PC and monitor to a new location and see if you can replicate the issue?

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MikeSK said:

Can you change the environment and or move the PC and monitor to a new location and see if you can replicate the issue?

Not really, for I live in a dorm. But i will actually be moving in 2 weeks, so if the issue persists, we will see if it will go away in my new apartment.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another thought.  Can you sit a little further from the monitor and move your hand towards and away from the monitor and duplicate it?  You might also try building a charge by moving around in the chair if just moving your hand does not trigger it?  Good luck.  Watch the warranty period for returns for a refund or replacement.  Note: I am wondering if you have a floating ground due to design or improper assembly.  If that is the case, a component in the display may be extremely sensitive to electronic interference. 

Edited by MikeSK
Additional info
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MikeSK said:

Another thought.  Can you sit a little further from the monitor and move your hand towards and away from the monitor and duplicate it?  You might also try building a charge by moving around in the chair if just moving your hand does not trigger it?  Good luck.  Watch the warranty period for returns for a refund or replacement.

Thanks for this, will try it tomorrow, its getting late

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, MikeSK said:

Another thought.  Can you sit a little further from the monitor and move your hand towards and away from the monitor and duplicate it?  You might also try building a charge by moving around in the chair if just moving your hand does not trigger it?  Good luck.  Watch the warranty period for returns for a refund or replacement.  Note: I am wondering if you have a floating ground due to design or improper assembly.  If that is the case, a component in the display may be extremely sensitive to electronic interference. 

Moving around in the chair, that caused the screen to flicker. I tried standing up after quickly rubbing my arms and legs against the chair, i could feel the electricity going through me, i actually got a small shock by my left fingertips. Meanwhile, the monitor flickered. So it definitely seems to be ESD. This stuff u are talking about, about floating ground, u can buy a certain power cable for that right? Like, maybe a strip or something? Because my cable is plugged right into the wall. I also live on the 11th floor, if that matters. The electrical socket looks quite old, and the house was built in the 90's. By the way, in my headphones, I can hear a faint sound when the flickering happens.

 

PS: I tried downclocking my monitor to 144 hz, that didnt help. Opening the window for a while didnt seem to remove the flicker either.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I edited post in case u didnt see that

Link to post
Share on other sites

You could try a power conditioner.  A good one would also inform you about the quality of the power coming out of the wall.  Note, do you have another monitor you could borrow?  If it only affects this monitor, you should exchange it and see if it happens with the new monitor.  It may be a design or assembly issue on the monitors part. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MikeSK said:

You could try a power conditioner.  A good one would also inform you about the quality of the power coming out of the wall.  Note, do you have another monitor you could borrow?  If it only affects this monitor, you should exchange it and see if it happens with the new monitor.  It may be a design or assembly issue on the monitors part. 

Power conditioner looks expensive. I dont have another monitor. I tried a different power outlet, and I got the same issue. I wonder, what do u think it is? I mean, the monitor didnt do that with my old chair, and if a frikkin chair can make my monitor flicker, then surely it must be the monitor that is over-sensitive to ESD? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would try returning the monitor if you can not afford another fix.  A circuit with a floating or loop ground can act as an antenna and over time you could see other side effects.   Can you spray your chair with an hypoallergenic/safe/non-irritating anti-static spray?     

Link to post
Share on other sites

The manual requires you use a grounded wall outlet.  Is it possible your wall outlet is not grounded.  The consequences of not having a grounded plug closely resemble your experience.  For your area, they may have a recommendation for adding a ground or verifying you have a grounded wall outlet.

https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Document/User Manual/User Manual_Acer_1.0_A_A.zip?acerid=636283702951950354&Step1=MONITOR&Step2=PREDATOR&Step3=XB271HU&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6#_ga=2.267546510.1485873112.1521061305-1812452562.1521061305

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018-03-14 at 10:10 PM, MikeSK said:

The manual requires you use a grounded wall outlet.  Is it possible your wall outlet is not grounded.  The consequences of not having a grounded plug closely resemble your experience.  For your area, they may have a recommendation for adding a ground or verifying you have a grounded wall outlet.

https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Document/User Manual/User Manual_Acer_1.0_A_A.zip?acerid=636283702951950354&Step1=MONITOR&Step2=PREDATOR&Step3=XB271HU&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6#_ga=2.267546510.1485873112.1521061305-1812452562.1521061305

 

Thanks a ton for this. I understand now that I have a grounded wall outlet. Maybe my new apartment (moving in next saturday actually, changed date) will have grounded wall outlets. What could I do if they dont? The houses are built in like 2005, do u think they have it?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, there is a law that says that all houses built after 1994 (in sweden) must have grounded power outlets, my new one was built in 2005, so im think im good. Thank you so much for your help!

Link to post
Share on other sites

According to the documents, you need a grounded wall outlet.  From what you stated above, I am guessing your current residence does not have a grounded wall outlet.  Really old or cheaply build houses are most likely to have electrical issues despite a the law.  To check for a grounding issue with the wall outlet, try using a surge protector with a grounding and wiring check led.  They have affordable tools to perform this issue.  You could also have a defective plug for the monitor power.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MikeSK said:

According to the documents, you need a grounded wall outlet.  From what you stated above, I am guessing your current residence does not have a grounded wall outlet.  Really old or cheaply build houses are most likely to have electrical issues.  To check for a grounding issue with the wall outlet, try using a surge protector with a grounding and wiring check led or a simple wiring check tool you plug in to the wall outlet.  From my experience, these inexpensive. 

ye, it was built in 1964. oh yeah, those look dirt cheap.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Im a XB271HU owner as well. I have all the same problems and i have had my monitor ran through UPS. cyber power 1325va. i dont think it is a grounding issue. We need answers from acer this is a scary problem

Link to post
Share on other sites

also i may get the quick flicker when i stand up but then i;ll get a second flicker sometimes when i sit down in my couch located right behind my computer chair

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 3/14/2018 at 8:21 AM, -TesseracT- said:

I've had this problem for I think 2 weeks now? Whenever I stand up from my chair, my monitor flashes for like 0.2 seconds, black, sometimes twice. Im not touching the desk, im not wearing headphones, I have no contact with anything. I have checked the power and video connections to the monitor. They are not loose, and if I pull them from side to side, nothing happens. This never seem to happen when I actually get in my chair, only when I get out of it. I have the Acer Predator XB271HU, one guy one overclock.net had the same issue as me... http://www.overclock.net/forum/44-monitors-displays/1633110-monitor-flickering-when-standing-up-my-chair.html. Do you think it is ESD? Here is video, sorry for video being sideways LOL! Go to 0:12

 

I have the same issue with my monitor (same predator monitor) and i was using a bbq lighter at my desk and noticed that the monitor flickers when I light the lighter. This leads me to believe that it's an ESD thing too. This monitor is also run through a UPS which powers the computer and this monitor for up to 5 minutes when power is cut. On top of this, I had an electrician come into the house to check the power outlet that runs the power to the pc and monitors, he upgraded to a socket that can take a heavier load, thinking that it might be the problem. It didn't change a thing, problem still persists.
Just read some other posts in the thread, all outlets are grounded as I live in Australia.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, smini said:

I have the same issue with my monitor (same predator monitor) and i was using a bbq lighter at my desk and noticed that the monitor flickers when I light the lighter. This leads me to believe that it's an ESD thing too. This monitor is also run through a UPS which powers the computer and this monitor for up to 5 minutes when power is cut. On top of this, I had an electrician come into the house to check the power outlet that runs the power to the pc and monitors, he upgraded to a socket that can take a heavier load, thinking that it might be the problem. It didn't change a thing, problem still persists.
Just read some other posts in the thread, all outlets are grounded as I live in Australia.

Then perhaps the monitor is faulty :(

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 7 months later...

TL;DR at the bottom. Not trying to revive an old thread but I wanted to put my 2 cents. I was having this problem with the Acer Predator X34P. Monitor blinks off and on when I roll TOWARDS the monitor, usually when I set and pull my self in. It does NOT happen when I stand up or roll back or anything else. I thought it was floor problem and ignored it because I was moving rooms soon. I just moved rooms today and thought my problem was gone until I ROLLED back in and it flickered! I almost lost my mind!

 

After reading this thread I realized that I've been using a new chair, the Secret Labs Titan Chair. My old chair was a cheap amazon basics office chair. I suspect that the new and more expensive chair has more metals in it than the cheap chair. I am not sitting in my old chair rolling back and forth like a maniac and the monitor is blissfully NOT flickering.

 

I like the chair so I don't want to get rid of it so I need to find a cable to fix it? If anyone has advice on preventing interference, it would be highly appreciated.

 

TL;DR - Have same problem only when rolling in chair. Moved rooms, no fix. Remembered I got a new more expensive chair when the problem started. Old cheaper chair doesn't cause problems. Probably metals in the new chair causing interference.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay Ive tested your theory ricardo and I must admit it is my chair. I have a very high end Steelcase Leap v2. ive switched to my old costco chair and no blink. Theres no way im getting rid of my chair.  Im not sure new cables will do anything. I thinking how to ground my chair. I tired removing my plastic easy glide mat, thats there to save my hardwood floors but still blinks.  Maybe an anti static mat may be my next purchase. 

Also I know everyone says its linked to humidity and I do notice it blinks more in winter when its the most dry. maybe a humidifier is needed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the same monitor (XB271HU) and it never flickered but the moment I got this fabric Secret Labs Titan chair my monitor started doing the exact same thing maybe 15 to 20% of the time when i stand up or sit down... I wonder if an anti-static bracelet could prevent this just for testing purposes..Also maybe a Ferrite core on the monitor cable would help.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×