possible LTT video suggestion?

intertan

Just thinking here, There are 3 main internet types currently

fiber, dsl and coax

maybe LTT could get in contact with some of these companies and do a in depth video of how each system works and possibly a look at the isp equipment

were the internet enters the network, were tv/tel service also enters.

how it gets distributed to the community and how it all connects at the home.

I think one of the reasons they don't do a lot of networking focused videos is the lack of interest from most people.

Personally, I love it (networking is my job after all) and would like to see more of it on the channel just because it is so awesome, but a lot of people don't care much beyond the "does it work" and "why can't I download faster" train of thinking.

I'm pretty sure they've done some similar TQ videos on satellite and the likes, not sure about fiber/copper based stuff though. There might have been a DSL video too but I might not be remembering correctly.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

9 minutes ago, LLXIR said:

@Lurick @intertan there are in fact (edit:) 2 TQ videos about this.

Although I can't exactly remember what they said in the videos, it would be a cool idea if they could do a data centre tour of a major ISP in Canada or the US for example.

So I wasn't crazy, just didn't remember the fiber one off the top of my head :)

For me, it's less seeing the stuff (since I can see the gear whenever) but about other people seeing it and their reaction and interest in the topic :)

Data centers are nice to look at but probably 100x as amazing when you dive into the technology that drives them. What allows a VM in location A to talk to a VM in location Q but not to VMs in all the other locations. How you can segment customers down to the VM level from interacting. When you can make a couple changes in a GUI and push massive policies out with minimal effort or upgrade code and watch the time it takes for traffic to re-converge, the protocols in play and how it all comes together and an enormous system is wonderful and really awesome to deal with.

ISPs are another matter all together too :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: