Strange RMA practice for PSU

SesyHansGruber
Go to solution Solved by Guest,

Seems legit. 

They don't want to spend the money or resources to ship, handle and process it, so destroy it instead. 

Hi everyone, 

I realize this is a strange question. I have to return an Antec HCG-750M for RMA, so I filed the form. About an hour later, I received an email from an Antec representative (with a legit email address) saying that I need to smash my PSU with a hammer and that he will send me a brand new PSU in exchange, without me having to send the old unit back. 

Has anyone ever had an experience like this? Do I actually have to smash my PSU with a hammer? 

(Not that I wouldn't be happy to, this thing got me headaches).

Thanks for the attention 9_9

Yeah, I had to do this when I ordered some huge canvas prints and they all came with a line down the center. They had very specific instructions on slashing the misprints and sending photos of the violently murdered remains. Another time w/ a dead LED strip. Had to send photos of it destroyed.

To be clear, this is NOT me saying that your situation is the same. I'd definitely request some sort of official confirmation. It may be just cheaper than shipping a new one for them, but I'm not seeing any reports of similar stories w/ a quick search.

Seems legit. 

They don't want to spend the money or resources to ship, handle and process it, so destroy it instead. 

8 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Seems legit. 

Seems like there'd be a better way of doing it than having someone who doesn't know what they're doing drop a heavy chunk of metal into capacitors that could kill a man.

Why not just cut the 24-pin lead and send a picture of that?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

38 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Seems like there'd be a better way of doing it than having someone who doesn't know what they're doing drop a heavy chunk of metal into capacitors that could kill a man.

If you cut all the wires you could solder them back together later on tho.

2 hours ago, andrewmp6 said:

If you cut all the wires you could solder them back together later on tho.

If you hit the capacitors just right you'll never solder anything again tho.

3 hours ago, aisle9 said:

I think you're exaggerating a bit.  If the caps short against the metal housing, they're going to drain immediately.  It's not like the housing is going to stay energized and it's not like a person is going to try to crush a PSU housing with the bare hands.

Smashing up the housing is a common practice.

6 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

It's not like the housing is going to stay energized and it's not like a person is going to try to crush a PSU housing with the bare hands

#hulklivesmatter

Thanks everyone for the replies, I broke it (very carefully) with a hammer and the replacement is on the way. Kind of a cool practice when you come to think of it. Very liberating.