External graphics w/ USB 3.1 Gen2 (10gbps)?

Just wanna know if there's any way to attach an external Graphics Card/dock to a system which only has USB Type C 3.1 Gen2 (10gbps). I know it's basically a requirement to have a thunderbolt (40gbps) dock for external graphics cards/docks. Was just curious if there was any loophole to run a graphics card with only a USB 3.1 Gen2 interface? 

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | CPU Cooler: MSI MAG CORELIQUID 240R 
 | GPU: MSI 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X 10G OC | | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 | PSU: MSI MPG A750GF Gold Fully-Modular | Mouse: MSI CLUTCH GM50 | Keyboard: MSI Vigor GK60 Cherry MX Red | 

| Headset: MSI DS502 GAMING Headset | Case: MSI MPG SEKIRA 100R | 

| Displays: AOC AGONAG241QX Gaming Monitor 24" & Acer CB282K 28.0" 2160p 60Hz HDR IPS | Wrist Rest: MSI Vigor WR01 Wrist  Rest | 

I don't believe so, no.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Just now, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

I don't believe so, no.

Sadly, I thought this was the case.... Thank you! 

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | CPU Cooler: MSI MAG CORELIQUID 240R 
 | GPU: MSI 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X 10G OC | | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 | PSU: MSI MPG A750GF Gold Fully-Modular | Mouse: MSI CLUTCH GM50 | Keyboard: MSI Vigor GK60 Cherry MX Red | 

| Displays: AOC AGONAG241QX Gaming Monitor 24" & Acer CB282K 28.0" 2160p 60Hz HDR IPS | Wrist Rest: MSI Vigor WR01 Wrist  Rest | 

It is technically possible, although it will bottleneck pretty hard due to the limitations of USB 3.1 Gen2

EDIT: It will bottleneck to point where it's not even worth it to do it.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

6 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

It is technically possible, although it will bottleneck pretty hard due to the limitations of USB 3.1 Gen2

EDIT: It will bottleneck to point where it's not even worth it to do it.

Hmmm, What if i wanted to play some epsorts title? I was literally just inquiring because of maybe wanting to play Overwatch. Would you still it would be a bottleneck to play that on say low 1080p? 

19 minutes ago, Ja55ie said:

Hmmm, What if i wanted to play some epsorts title? I was literally just inquiring because of maybe wanting to play Overwatch. Would you still it would be a bottleneck to play that on say low 1080p? 

It would be a bottleneck either way; USB 3.1 Gen2 doesn't have the bandwidth for it, which is the main reason Thunderbolt 3 is basically a requirement for an eGPU setup.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

25 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

It would be a bottleneck either way; USB 3.1 Gen2 doesn't have the bandwidth for it, which is the main reason Thunderbolt 3 is basically a requirement for an eGPU setup.

Thank you Crunchy Dragon! 

25 minutes ago, Name Taken said:

The USB protocol and controller does not support connecting PCI-e devices.

Thank you Name Taken! 

• 2 years later...
On 3/9/2018 at 1:34 PM, Ja55ie said:

Just wanna know if there's any way to attach an external Graphics Card/dock to a system which only has USB Type C 3.1 Gen2 (10gbps). I know it's basically a requirement to have a thunderbolt (40gbps) dock for external graphics cards/docks. Was just curious if there was any loophole to run a graphics card with only a USB 3.1 Gen2 interface? 

I think it might be possible... if you get a usb 3.1 gen 2 M.2 SSD NVME adapter (here)... then get a gpu riser (here)... and a power supply (here)... then do some coding... very hard coding if you are a beginner... you will need to reprogramm the driver for the gpu you are using so that it can be installed and run through a USB port... then do some programing to make a software that can install the driver so that it can be used through the usb... Everything SHOULD work.

Things To keep in mind:

1.ONLY ABOUT 45% of the gpus power will be able to be used, so depending on your gpu IT MAY NO BE WORTH IT. 

2. you will need to KNOW PROGRAMMING SO THAT YOU CAN PROGRAM A SOFTWARE TO INSALL YOUR CUSTOM DRIVER

3. This may not work and you need to accept that... it may be better to just buy a thunderbolt 3 card or just buy an egpu/gpu

EDIT: if it works it'll be quite noisy, messy, and dangerous.

EDIT: Look At This is kind of what we are doing... we are just doing it through usb instead of a network card

EDIT: you will also need to change the usb protocol to allow the drivers that you modified to be used