Folding Community Board

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

6 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Let's be honest, most corporate charity work is either publicity or tax related.

I'm just happy that folding has become the flavour of the month, will be interesting to see how the network is come the end of the year. I imagine many people who signed up are not here for the long term. But, regardless, I count it as a win either way. It has really lit a fire under the folding teams arses. Client update/s, more servers, more WUs. more funding and more to come! Exciting times. 

Now if only it would make them start supporting GPUs on Mac OS.  I'd be more than 10x max output, and able to run most of the time, rather than only for events with server CPU cores.

5 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

hell, they might even SETI it 

SETI it?

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, GOTSpectrum said:

SETI it?

Nah.  Researchers will continually have proteins they want info about, and each team does their own analysis after the fact, so it isn't just 1 group looking at all the data like it mostly was with SETI.

1 minute ago, justpoet said:

Nah.  Researchers will continually have proteins they want info about, and each team does their own analysis after the fact, so it isn't just 1 group looking at all the data like it mostly was with SETI.

I was mostly confused with what was meant by 'SETI it' tbh. 

I guess Star was talking about the fact they closed down... Should have known really but meh, I'm tired!

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, yaboistar said:

do you want pretentious "media influencers" cooking their macboo.... actually yes i want that, i want that so fucking much

I've actually done quite a bit of compute on my MacBook Pro (and my wife's), without any issue.  Granted, not 24/7 for months on end, but many weeks at a time in several cases.  They've handled it well.

Really battling the internet today,

Getting repeated DNS resolution issues, connection time outs, connection resets.... Urgh.

But only on some sites, like netflix is fine but can't go to my own ISP site to see the issue, can't connect through PIA, can't access other random things.

Fingers crossed it doesn't affect folding! 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, yaboistar said:

which set of feckless morons are you going through?

Huh, you asking my ISP?

Virgin Media.

Usually they are great in my neck of the woods and up until today haven't had a issues with them in probably a couple years. I'm sure they will blame COVID if it is a big issue.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

tbh my isp has been fucking around as of late and i'm pretty sure they were doing works on whatever i'm connected through because i lost conn for 45 mins the other night at the usual time for planned engineering works. but, it's been dropping conn more often recently so perhaps i'll get the tester out on the line and have a peek at it again. background voltage could always have crept back up but i'd expect it to have gone down with the low rainfall we've had recently

What type of connection do you have?

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

So, update on the smart mirror idea.

Should be buying the power components this week, currently investigating the best way to acquire the glass, software wise there is still some serious investigating required here.

Minimum requirement is for the mirror to show the status of my slots, probably through HFM, I am hoping to try modifying the viewer to work with my solution but only time will tell. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, yaboistar said:

FTTC, DSL copper pair the last 30m to the home. can be shafted by noise on any part of the line unfortunately.

Ours is a typical DOCSIS network, FTTN(Although I live that close to the node it is irrelevant).

Honestly for all it's faults as a standard it has served us well for many many years.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

aye my lass has virgin and said it's pretty good for her, i think her family gets about 150mbit. i'll likely go for that or for fibre when i move

I guess I am lucky to have Gig down and 50Mb up

1 minute ago, yaboistar said:

aye my lass has virgin and said it's pretty good for her, i think her family gets about 150mbit. i'll likely go for that or for fibre when i move

Fairs.

Seems I am having issues with folding connections now... I may have to ring them.... *sigh* Will log into the router first and have a poke about!

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Odd, my P106-100 gets 200k+ WU often, my RX580 sometimes, and my Vega 56 semi often.

1 hour ago, yaboistar said:

aren't they basically passively cooled? damn things must have been at the surface temperature of the sun

Nope.  There's 2 fans in the chassis, with heat pipes or vapor chambers to radiators on the fans from both the GPU and CPU.  The memory is basically passive cooling though, with thermal pads to the case and minimal air intake flow going by.

1 minute ago, aaronbsavage said:

Just joined the community and the folding@home team!

Welcome to the team!!!

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

5 minutes ago, Brookler said:

200 WU complete and 5mil points since I started folding after the first LTT video got me involved

image.png.e36e22978bca1abef0e3608b07d6ab6a.png

Did you request your badge?

1 hour ago, LFreeman said:

He means Welcome to the Fold! lol

I've already gotten too many complaints about my puns. So I'm trying not to project my terrible puns too much. Guess I slot right in with you guys. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

I've already gotten too many complaints about my puns. So I'm trying not to project my terrible puns too much. Guess I slot right in with you guys. 

If you want to become the pun master to make whole rooms groan give TechConnectify a ring on twitter. I've said out loud to myself multiple times this month "Someone needs to take your pun license away from you, you maniac!" I classify them as "chaotic funny" (neutral?).

4 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

I feel at home with puns. If you want we can work in shifts with the puns. We can work in units.

6 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

ba dum tss

In coming @jctappel67  Once you are down @LFreeman will be my next goal but he will be a challenge lol with at least 2x2080s 

image.thumb.png.eac93b169d5620df1889ea7867703fab.png

My EOC F@H stats | My F@H Stats | My Real time F@H Production | My Boinc Stats

My team in point Generation order:

- Bender: Corsair CARBIDE 600C | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | Noctua NH-U14H | 1TB Toshiba SSD | EVGA XC3 Ultra 3070LHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | EVGA FTW 3070FHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 1000 Gold SSR-1000FX | 55" Samsung 120Hz 3D TV

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Scooty-Puff: Alienware M15R5 | Win 11 Pro | AMD R7-5800H | 64GB DDR4-3200 | PC711 & WD SN750 SE 1TB | 3070M | 240 Watt ACadapter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Omicron_Persei_8: Dell G5 5511 | Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS | Intel i7-11800 | 32GB DDR4-3200 | 1x512GB BC711 & 2TB Intel 660p | 3060M | 240 Watt ACadapter

- Calculon (MainTower): Fractal Design Meshify S2 White | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 3900x | 32GB DDR4-3200 TridentZ RGB | Noctua NH-D15 | 1x SN750SE | AMD 5700XT XFX Rx-57XT8OFF6 | Gigabyte X570 WiFi Pro | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750 Gold SSR-750FX | 2x Dell S3422DWG & Dell U2715H & Dell U2917W

- Leela:  Fractal Design Focus G Blue | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz | AMD Wraith cooler | Toshiba KSG60ZMV256G | EVGA 2060 KO | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 650 Gold SSR-650-FX | 

Pre ordered Framework 16 Batch 8 | Ryzen 7 7840HS DIY | Plan on getting the Crucial 64 or 96GB ram Depending on feedback | and a 2 or 4TB WD Black SN850x and 2TB SN770M | 180Watt ACadapter

Honorable Mentions:

- iZac (Server): Fractal Design Node 804 | Win 11 Pro | Ryzen 5700G | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | AMD Wraith Prism

5x1TB NVME | 2x2TB 7x4TB 1x 8TB SATA HDD | ASROCKRACK x470D4U | RM750i PSU | NO Monitor

- Fry: Dell XPS 9520 | Win 11 Pro | Intel i7-12700H | 15.6" 3840x2400 | 64 GB RAM DDR5-4800 | 2TB WD SN810 & 2TB Seagate FireCuda 530 | Nvidia 3050Ti | 130Watt ACadapter

Model 3 Ryzen APU | 2TB Samsung T7

Useful stuff i may mention

F@H Babysitter | F@H in the Dark | HFM Setup