Folding Community Board

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

Join me in celebrating my birthday with a week of folding with more LTT prizes! 

Ok so a few days late now here are the results from our folding week. I just want to thank everyone for contributing to it and making this team a fun cool place to hang out.

Now for the numbers,

First want to just say an awesome job for everyone being able to produce 48,186,418 (almost one third of the total points produced by team LTT were done by just the 12 of us in the sheet) points and 1,650 WUs (14% is pretty good considering most of us were doing more GPU folding than cpu.)

But the top three contributors are:

In third place with 6,818,403 points is @Ben Quigley

In second with 8,565,605 points is myself (kinda weird presenting myself on the podium)

And last but most definitely not least First place with a massive 12,019,396 is @iamdarkyoshi

Honorable mentions to @DieselWeasel and @ Cuddlebumble (apparently you have a different forum name) for the award that I am calling "started from the bottom" with climbing 753 and 355 places respectively within the team!

I also want to shout out to @straight_stewie, @iamdarkyoshi, @Whiskers, and @Ben Quigley for helping organize and troubleshoot with everything.

And again a huge shout of to all of you for contributing and helping each other with troubleshooting and most importantly getting the word out there. And for anyone who is just stumbling on to this now and disappointed that they missed the event the good news is that there will definitely be more of these to come to keep you eyes open for new threads on the forum.

Great work everyone can't wait to do it again!

Folding Community Board:

Also check out our Official Folding Month event:

51 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

I'm currently using Mint Mate.

Going to try Manjaro on my other computer.

Did try Fedora, but me had no lucky at getting F@H to play ball in that one (only got BOINC to work).

Good to hear.  I enjoy doing events.  I should have my full GPU army up next time.

Is LTT forums plan to join in on the BOINC Pentathlon?  It is a fun event for BOINCers.

I never really got into boinc mostly because folding took my attention first, but I would be down to participate. how does it work?

Folding Community Board:

11 minutes ago, palespartan said:

I never really got into boinc mostly because folding took my attention first, but I would be down to participate. how does it work?

Basically a big event with several teams participating.  SETI hosts the event.  Different projects are run during the event with one that runs the entire event.  Basically each team is trying to get the max points in each area while trying to hold off losing positions to other teams in the other areas.  Can get heated at times when a team decides to bunker bomb out points (a trick at holding units and then releasing as a group near the end of a project event to claim a higher position).  The fun part is SETI has this awesome chap who writes up daily articles with some nice humor in those.

This their main page:

https://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_pentathlon/start.php?&lang=en

Some of the BOINC projects ask to be part of it since it taxes the living crap out of their servers.  I think in one case, it came close to crashing a project server (poor thing was having a time of it handling so much input).

Last year was a ball since more teams joined in and a lot of teams where giving their all in the event.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

5 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Basically a big event with several teams participating.  SETI hosts the event.  Different projects are run during the event with one that runs the entire event.  Basically each team is trying to get the max points in each area while trying to hold off losing positions to other teams in the other areas.  Can get heated at times when a team decides to bunker bomb out points (a trick at holding units and then releasing as a group near the end of a project event to claim a higher position).  The fun part is SETI has this awesome chap who writes up daily articles with some nice humor in those.

This their main page:

https://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_pentathlon/start.php?&lang=en

Some of the BOINC projects ask to be part of it since it taxes the living crap out of their servers.  I think in one case, it came close to crashing a project server (poor thing was having a time of it handling so much input).

Last year was a ball since more teams joined in and a lot of teams where giving their all in the event.

Post up a thread and I as well as probably at least a few others here will join I'm sure.

Folding Community Board:

I really think this is something that we should host twice a year, @palespartan @Whiskers

Well done on everyone who got involved, you guys are awesome. A spacial thanks to pale for letting me get involved despite my F up. 

A special well done to @iamdarkyoshi for that incredible effort, would love to see your power bill for the week! 

and finally, thanks pale for the shout out! 

Hope to see all you guys and some new faces at the next one! 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

15 hours ago, palespartan said:

Ok so a few days late now here are the results from our folding week. I just want to thank everyone for contributing to it and making this team a fun cool place to hang out.

Now for the numbers,

First want to just say an awesome job for everyone being able to produce 48,186,418 (almost one third of the total points produced by team LTT were done by just the 12 of us in the sheet) points and 1,650 WUs (14% is pretty good considering most of us were doing more GPU folding than cpu.)

But the top three contributors are:

In third place with 6,818,403 points is @Ben Quigley

In second with 8,565,605 points is myself (kinda weird presenting myself on the podium)

And last but most definitely not least First place with a massive 12,019,396 is @iamdarkyoshi

Honorable mentions to @DieselWeasel and @ Cuddlebumble (apparently you have a different forum name) for the award that I am calling "started from the bottom" with climbing 753 and 355 places respectively within the team!

I also want to shout out to @straight_stewie, @iamdarkyoshi, @Whiskers, and @Ben Quigley for helping organize and troubleshoot with everything.

And again a huge shout of to all of you for contributing and helping each other with troubleshooting and most importantly getting the word out there. And for anyone who is just stumbling on to this now and disappointed that they missed the event the good news is that there will definitely be more of these to come to keep you eyes open for new threads on the forum.

Great work everyone can't wait to do it again!

Haha, yeah sorry I'm Cuddlebumble on the folding home page. It definitely sparked my interest in folding, doing it as kind of a 'competition' 

I have bought a 1080 ti to increase my numbers at the next folding week. 

6 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

I really think this is something that we should host twice a year, @palespartan @Whiskers

Well done on everyone who got involved, you guys are awesome. A spacial thanks to pale for letting me get involved despite my F up. 

A special well done to @iamdarkyoshi for that incredible effort, would love to see your power bill for the week! 

Power bill was over 30 bucks lul

Would have been well over 50 had I used the triple GTX 480 machine

9 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

Absolutely twice a year for sure and I'm thinking for this coming October to do a Folding Month. (cold weather seems right for this in my opinion.) And I also remember hearing something about folding weekends that would be nice to throw into the mix too.

6 hours ago, Lockram said:

Haha, yeah sorry I'm Cuddlebumble on the folding home page. It definitely sparked my interest in folding, doing it as kind of a 'competition' 

I have bought a 1080 ti to increase my numbers at the next folding week. 

Ah that makes sense when I was going back through I was confused that I didn't find you on the sheet. lol. And awesome keep it up wile you can and you'll quickly end up up there in the rankings with the rest of us.

3 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Power bill was over 30 bucks lul

Would have been well over 50 had I used the triple GTX 480 machine

Oh god I used to use a gtx580 lightning to heat my room in the dead of winter and still had to open the window to cool off I think with 3 480s you could make a sauna. lol

Folding Community Board:

1 hour ago, palespartan said:

Oh god I used to use a gtx580 lightning to heat my room in the dead of winter and still had to open the window to cool off I think with 3 480s you could make a sauna. lol

My room is a slight sauna with just the threadripper crunching.  :P   Then again, the 2nd floor of this townhouse is a bit warmer than the bottom floor.

I probably going to get a floor fan to help circulate the air some more in this room.  Though, once I have a replacement Haswell-E chip for my X99 board and get a few of my other rigs up.  Yep, sauna level heat indeed.

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

10 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

triple GTX 480 machine

lmao what is that for

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Just now, suchamoneypit said:

lmao what is that for

Laughing at

Seriously I don't know why I bought three GTX 480s and a 6 core xeon board plus a 1KW PSU other than to laugh at it, I have much better options lol

1 hour ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Laughing at

Seriously I don't know why I bought three GTX 480s and a 6 core xeon board plus a 1KW PSU other than to laugh at it, I have much better options lol

How much did you end up even paying for that setup? lmao I want one just to have it :P 

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

1 hour ago, 8uhbbhu8 said:

How much did you end up even paying for that setup? lmao I want one just to have it :P 

About 200 for the used videocards, 125 for the used PSU, and about 125 for the 6 core xeon, motherboard, rams, and case

9 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

About 200 for the used videocards, 125 for the used PSU, and about 125 for the 6 core xeon, motherboard, rams, and case

Wow.... Getting those gpus that cheap nowadays is next to impossible :P Just looked on ebay and the cheapest is $150 for 1 with shipping 

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

I hope to be hitting the top 100 in the next 10 days or so at this rate... Oooo I'm excited. Especially since I'm really just throwing a bunch of sh!t cards at this... I think my Vega 64 would be better at boinc tbh....

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I'm starting to get jealous. I've been folding 24/7 for about a combined year (a gap in the middle) and I'm not in the top 200. Although I'm slowly but steadily climbing. Maybe the turtle will win the race in the long run.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

9 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

I'm starting to get jealous. I've been folding 24/7 for about a combined year (a gap in the middle) and I'm not in the top 200. Although I'm slowly but steadily climbing. Maybe the turtle will win the race in the long run.

Man, I've been at it for a couple years too, mining helped me post of the Vega, and my gtx cards also paid them selves off for the most part. So all in all, can't really complain. 

18 hours ago, Ithanul said:

My room is a slight sauna with just the threadripper crunching.  :P   Then again, the 2nd floor of this townhouse is a bit warmer than the bottom floor.

I probably going to get a floor fan to help circulate the air some more in this room.  Though, once I have a replacement Haswell-E chip for my X99 board and get a few of my other rigs up.  Yep, sauna level heat indeed.

I know that feeling, VEGA 64 on its own gets it nice and warm... Along with a CPU and three other GPUs.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

8 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

I know that feeling, VEGA 64 on its own gets it nice and warm... Along with a CPU and three other GPUs.

No doubt.  Still, at least these current GPUs and CPUs are not the level of heat as a Fermi.  O the fun of crunching on a GTX590 back then (when getting only a few thousand PPD was consider a lot of points).  Most hilarious thing I ever did was crunch with a GTX275.  :P  Should of kept that card since it was a BFG card.  Amazingly enough, that GTX275 card handle vanilla Skyrim decently on High settings.

image.png.d5d8a4f1d54322e0eca1ce597ee3fe06.png

When my whole GPU army folds.

9 hours ago, Ithanul said:

No doubt.  Still, at least these current GPUs and CPUs are not the level of heat as a Fermi.  O the fun of crunching on a GTX590 back then (when getting only a few thousand PPD was consider a lot of points).  Most hilarious thing I ever did was crunch with a GTX275.  :P  Should of kept that card since it was a BFG card.  Amazingly enough, that GTX275 card handle vanilla Skyrim decently on High settings.

I used to fold on a GTS 450.... That was a card on the warmer side too.... Im not looking forward to summer tbh for long gaming sessions. or folding for that matter, may have to pack the other cards away.  

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

image.png.dad607dca1a33c08030fdadde8871671.png

Im currently the master chief of our folding team! 

117! 

P.S. sorry for all the posts but you guys have really got me back into F@H and I'm loving the community having more of an interest again now mining is dying down.  

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

On 4/3/2018 at 9:58 PM, straight_stewie said:

I feel like the longest run for me was the time it took to get from 250 to 150 since then its actually been a lot quicker than I expected. (that is also when i went from folding on 2 970s to both them and my 1080ti...)

20 hours ago, Ithanul said:

I cant imagine a dual gpu fermi being in my room. I think I would have to run ac just to keep the room temps down. lol. And damn too bad you let the 275 go that thing would be a trophy to have today. lol

10 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

image.png.dad607dca1a33c08030fdadde8871671.png

Im currently the master chief of our folding team! 

117! 

P.S. sorry for all the posts but you guys have really got me back into F@H and I'm loving the community having more of an interest again now mining is dying down.  

Oh god I'm going to have to fold my ass off to stay ahead of you. I was hoping to be able to give my gaming rig a break but apparently not. lol

Folding Community Board:

@palespartan don't worry, my production will be dropping off soon as I get back into game streaming. My Vega will probably(maybe) be excluded from my folding fleet as it just isn't efficient. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

13 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

I used to fold on a GTS 450.... That was a card on the warmer side too.... Im not looking forward to summer tbh for long gaming sessions. or folding for that matter, may have to pack the other cards away.  

Indeed, since I am now down in Florida, I have to endure even more heat compare to Alabama.  I sometimes miss north part of California for the cooler temps, but don't miss the high arse cost of living (...especially their gas prices).

2 hours ago, palespartan said:

I cant imagine a dual gpu fermi being in my room. I think I would have to run ac just to keep the room temps down. lol. And damn too bad you let the 275 go that thing would be a trophy to have today. lol

Yeah, reason I should of kept the card.  That BFG GTX275 was an interesting card.

Indeed a dual chip Fermi could be a flamethrower of heat.  Though, I don't mind missing it, dual GPU cards can be a headache at times.

2 hours ago, palespartan said:

Oh god I'm going to have to fold my ass off to stay ahead of you. I was hoping to be able to give my gaming rig a break but apparently not. lol

Hehe, others probably will have a time with me next go around.  Depending if I jump on a pair of Titan Xp with water blocks (darn things are teasing me...darn chap is selling them for 1600 for the whole set) and sell off my two 1080Tis or say crap it and just run the whole lot.  :P But I already told myself I'm updating my theater system, not computer hardware.  Ugh, so hard, either the OLED HDR TV or two big GPUs.....darn it.

2 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

@palespartan don't worry, my production will be dropping off soon as I get back into game streaming. My Vega will probably(maybe) be excluded from my folding fleet as it just isn't efficient. 

Good your making me nervous I just made the top100 and don't want to leave anytime soon. lol. Next goal is top 50 for me but its seems like its going to be progressively harder and harder from there since anyone that high who is still folding has way more power than I do.

5 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Indeed, since I am now down in Florida, I have to endure even more heat compare to Alabama.  I sometimes miss north part of California for the cooler temps, but don't miss the high arse cost of living (...especially their gas prices).

Yeah, reason I should of kept the card.  That BFG GTX275 was an interesting card.

Indeed a dual chip Fermi could be a flamethrower of heat.  Though, I don't mind missing it, dual GPU cards can be a headache at times.

Hehe, others probably will have a time with me next go around.  Depending if I jump on a pair of Titan X with water blocks (darn things are teasing me...) and sell off my two 1080Tis or say crap it and just run the whole lot.  :P 

Yeah definitely not minding my bay area weather so far. But definitely cost of living sucks but gas prices actually aren't too bad for around here. And yeah next time around you will be a force to be reckoned with with that setup. lol

Folding Community Board: