Jump to content

Folding Community Board

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

 

Event thread is live! 

3 minutes ago, palespartan said:

Awesome but I have a feeling that if everything keeps running without issue for you you'll probably be up there with @iamdarkyoshi and I. Hoping mine will go higher to get closer to reflecting what my individual clients are telling me it should be.

yeah i hope so! my client is telling me i get about 1M PPD, tough some projects it's 900K and with some it's 1.4/1.5M. so pretty curious what the average is going to be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

yeah i hope so! my client is telling me i get about 1M PPD, tough some projects it's 900K and with some it's 1.4/1.5M. so pretty curious what the average is going to be.

Wow that's actually all over the place. But I think it should calm down once it re-evaluates what your working with and how fast you can get WU's done.

Folding Community Board:

Also check out our Official Folding Month event:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, palespartan said:

Wow that's actually all over the place. But I think it should calm down once it re-evaluates what your working with and how fast you can get WU's done.

My 1080Ti is telling me 1mil PPD and the rest of the combined machines, another 1mil

 

But for some reason that doesn't seem to be happening :/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, palespartan said:

yeah I've just found it easier to use windows 10 for dedicated mining and folding machines. I found that the performance hit wasn't worth the time headache to make mint or debian work ubuntu wasn't so bad though but I work in a windows environment anyways so figured just easier to have everything the same. Also I will add your WU count and team rank to the doc for whatever it is tonight and if you have it saved from what it was before you can edit them back.

I find Mint far easier to deal with compare to Ubuntu.

Then again, I have to work on servers with the Oracle 7 OS (linux distro of the Red Hat branch).  Compare to that, Mint is far more forgiving (though hot patching on the O7 is so sweet).

I mess a little with Feodora, very nice OS but F@H was not wanting to play ball.  BOINC did though.  May take another wack at it.

 

My lappy has W10....lets just say, my experience with it on the lappy and rolling it out when I was down range has made me have a huge dislike towards it.

17 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

You know, I'm left wondering if we could do a week long folding event once a year, and a weekend long folding event once a month. I'm quite enjoying this sub community so far.

Would be nice.  The other forum I frequent did a two day event each month then a huge Forum Folding War (teams where made and people join the ones they like and see which team could output the most in a week or two week span).  Was a good way to get new people into F@H.  Same forum did two day or week events for BOINC too.

 

8 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

My 1080Ti is telling me 1mil PPD and the rest of the combined machines, another 1mil

 

But for some reason that doesn't seem to be happening :/

Have you looked at your log file?  Should show if you are failing WUs.

 

Keep in mind that website takes time to match up to what your client shows.

 

1 hour ago, palespartan said:

Wow that's actually all over the place. But I think it should calm down once it re-evaluates what your working with and how fast you can get WU's done.

Each WU will show different PPD range since each work unit can be from a different project.

Reason on OCN we input the project ID when submitting data points to that spreadsheet.

 

Just a nutty gal living near the Gulf.

Ya want fun, come down here, we got heat, humidity, and these big arse storms call hurricanes

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, Titan XP, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad 9.7" (2018 model), Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

 

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

My 1080Ti is telling me 1mil PPD and the rest of the combined machines, another 1mil

 

But for some reason that doesn't seem to be happening :/

Yeah sometimes it can just be way off too. It was showing in the advanced control that my 4790k at 4.7ghz was doing 1mil ppd but that was obviously wrong. (Also turned out that 4.7 wasn't stable and came home to my computer not doing work at the login screen but that's a different story. lol)

30 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

I find Mint far easier to deal with compare to Ubuntu.

Then again, I have to work on servers with the Oracle 7 OS (linux distro of the Red Hat branch).  Compare to that, Mint is far more forgiving (though hot patching on the O7 is so sweet).

I mess a little with Feodora, very nice OS but F@H was not wanting to play ball.  BOINC did though.  May take another wack at it.

 

My lappy has W10....lets just say, my experience with it on the lappy and rolling it out when I was down range has made me have a huge dislike towards it.

Would be nice.  The other forum I frequent did a two day event each month then a huge Forum Folding War (teams where made and people join the ones they like and see which team could output the most in a week or two week span).  Was a good way to get new people into F@H.  Same forum did two day or week events for BOINC too.

 

Have you looked at your log file?  Should show if you are failing WUs.

 

Keep in mind that website takes time to match up to what your client shows.

 

Each WU will show different PPD range since each work unit can be from a different project.

Reason on OCN we input the project ID when submitting data points to that spreadsheet.

 

I'll admit it has been a wile since I have tried mint may start running it in a vm to see if I like it better but most of my linux now is in kali since it has the fun tools built in for pen testing and other than that its basically Debian so isn't too bad to work with. And yeah there is some real love and hate with windows 10 but I do like it better than 7 but that is partially because I've been using it since launch basically and learned all the tricks to make life easier. The only thing missing to make absolutely better than 7 for most users is to fix the god damn search.

Folding Community Board:

Also check out our Official Folding Month event:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, palespartan said:

I'll admit it has been a wile since I have tried mint may start running it in a vm to see if I like it better but most of my linux now is in kali since it has the fun tools built in for pen testing and other than that its basically Debian so isn't too bad to work with. And yeah there is some real love and hate with windows 10 but I do like it better than 7 but that is partially because I've been using it since launch basically and learned all the tricks to make life easier. The only thing missing to make absolutely better than 7 for most users is to fix the god damn search.

Hehe, can't blame.  Kali is a fun one, but then again, those tools can be packaged to work on the other distros.  My favorite tools to fool with are forensic ones.  Come in handy when someone's OS corrupts and they need me to recover files (I give fair warning though, those tools will find everything).

 

Yeah, the search in W10 is a pain to deal with and sucks that you can't fully disable and yank Cortana out.  My main issue is I want back the control W7 gave for updates.  I experienced what bad updates can do, and it is not fun.  Considering I run my systems 24/7 and have a huge dislike to down time (especially when hosting servers in my RAM disk setups).  Since I am back on a strong cable connection, I can finally host servers again.  :D

Just a nutty gal living near the Gulf.

Ya want fun, come down here, we got heat, humidity, and these big arse storms call hurricanes

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, Titan XP, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad 9.7" (2018 model), Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

 

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was hoping to see what my new opteron servers could do (144 cores total) but unfortunately there were issues out of my control (bad parts) and they will not be done in time. We should definitely arranged another one of these, I would be willing to give a first place prize with some Monero possibly, maybe others would pitch in and we can make it a semi-annual thing as a community.

Gaming - Ryzen 5600x | 32GB 3200mhz  Vega 56 | 1TB NVME | 500GB NVME

Home Server - Ryzen 2700x | 16GB 3400mhz |  RX 550 | 500GB NVME 11x2TB HDD 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Hehe, can't blame.  Kali is a fun one, but then again, those tools can be packaged to work on the other distros.  My favorite tools to fool with are forensic ones.  Come in handy when someone's OS corrupts and they need me to recover files (I give fair warning though, those tools will find everything).

 

Yeah, the search in W10 is a pain to deal with and sucks that you can't fully disable and yank Cortana out.  My main issue is I want back the control W7 gave for updates.  I experienced what bad updates can do, and it is not fun.  Considering I run my systems 24/7 and have a huge dislike to down time (especially when hosting servers in my RAM disk setups).  Since I am back on a strong cable connection, I can finally host servers again.  :D

I still need to get around to teaching myself on the forensic side of things. And yeah I don't know exactly how but both of the main installs of windows 10 I have don't seem to force restart for updates they let me wait until I want to update but I have had issues with it with many clients. And even worse is windows server 2016 has the same issues (not as bad obviously) but we have had issues with failed updates taking down a clients server all together. And that's impressive running whole servers on ramdisks. lol. What kind of servers are they even where they can be left that volatile?

5 hours ago, suchamoneypit said:

I was hoping to see what my new opteron servers could do (144 cores total) but unfortunately there were issues out of my control (bad parts) and they will not be done in time. We should definitely arranged another one of these, I would be willing to give a first place prize with some Monero possibly, maybe others would pitch in and we can make it a semi-annual thing as a community.

That is definitely I want to see when you get it up and running. And I definitely want to do this more often and like I said in an earlier post maybe even for longer periods of time. Not sure about prizes yet just because this is definitely something where the more money and hardware you have laying around the better you will do so monetary prizes just seem a little odd for that but we will definitely figure something out in the future like at least a badge on the forum. But that's something we can all figure out before the next time around which will have much more prep time than this time around (and more contributors as well).

Folding Community Board:

Also check out our Official Folding Month event:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

@palespartan sorry! My mum's best friend passed away Sunday night. Can I please use the extreme-overclockers.net weekly production report... I'm my mum's full time carer and she's been on 24 hour watch for the last few days. I'll understand if not. :(

 

P.S. I just passed rank 150. Rank 100 here I come! ALL POWER TO THE ENGINES! We're giving it everything she's got captain! (Bad star trek reference) 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

 

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates
 

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

 

  • CPU
    Ryzen 7 1700 3GHz 8-Core Processor @ 4Ghz
  • Motherboard
    GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    DOMINATOR Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) @ 3400mhz
  • GPU
    Aorus GTX 1080 Waterforce
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    BenQ - XL2430(144hz), Dell 24" portrait
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, palespartan said:

I still need to get around to teaching myself on the forensic side of things. And yeah I don't know exactly how but both of the main installs of windows 10 I have don't seem to force restart for updates they let me wait until I want to update but I have had issues with it with many clients. And even worse is windows server 2016 has the same issues (not as bad obviously) but we have had issues with failed updates taking down a clients server all together. And that's impressive running whole servers on ramdisks. lol. What kind of servers are they even where they can be left that volatile?

Mostly game servers, but I set a script to do backups to the HDDs once ever so hour and if the system has to shutdown.  Then have weekly backups to an external HDD.

That a few years back though.  Probably have to relook up on how to do that setup again.

Just a nutty gal living near the Gulf.

Ya want fun, come down here, we got heat, humidity, and these big arse storms call hurricanes

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, Titan XP, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad 9.7" (2018 model), Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

 

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

@palespartan sorry! My mum's best friend passed away Sunday night. Can I please use the extreme-overclockers.net weekly production report... I'm my mum's full time carer and she's been on 24 hour watch for the last few days. I'll understand if not. :(

 

P.S. I just passed rank 150. Rank 100 here I come! ALL POWER TO THE ENGINES! We're giving it everything she's got captain! (Bad star trek reference) 

I'm really sorry to hear that. Yeah that should be fine just to give a rough estimate to where you were at. I also might have the page still cached on my gaming rig back home (out of town until Saturday night). If I do I will edit whatever you submit to what I had. But its nothing too serious this time around just fun to track the progress.

4 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Mostly game servers, but I set a script to do backups to the HDDs once ever so hour and if the system has to shutdown.  Then have weekly backups to an external HDD.

That a few years back though.  Probably have to relook up on how to do that setup again.

That would be one epic setup to have a whole server running in ram assuming you could optimize properly the speed would be awesome. But I wonder if in today's world there would be much of a difference between running a vm on ramdisk vs running it on a nvme drive. And yeah if I was to set something like that up I would hate windows 10 too. lol.

Folding Community Board:

Also check out our Official Folding Month event:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tried letting my desktop do folding while I was at work, but it looks like it crashed after about an hour. I think the VRMs are overheating again since it didn't generate a crash log.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

So while my main rig is folding away at my own place, I am visiting my parents. And I found this in my old room:IMG_20180329_141157.thumb.jpg.3c0f4bc20e0d2eab2eed0856bc737c46.jpg

No idea what the specs are, but I put in a beastly gt210 and I'm trying to get it to boot. Pretty curious how many PPD this would get, do you think it can beat my Titan? :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, palespartan said:

I'm really sorry to hear that. Yeah that should be fine just to give a rough estimate to where you were at. I also might have the page still cached on my gaming rig back home (out of town until Saturday night). If I do I will edit whatever you submit to what I had. But its nothing too serious this time around just fun to track the progress.

That would be one epic setup to have a whole server running in ram assuming you could optimize properly the speed would be awesome. But I wonder if in today's world there would be much of a difference between running a vm on ramdisk vs running it on a nvme drive. And yeah if I was to set something like that up I would hate windows 10 too. lol.

I was mostly running L4D2 servers, Minecraft, and Terraria.  Done correctly such don't eat up a huge space unless one is trying to host a huge Minecraft one with mods.

This was back before SSDs and NVMe drives where cheap enough to afford at consumer level (my first SSD drive cost me like near 500 bucks for a 512GB one) and W10 was not around (I had a W7 Ult doing the hosting).  If I do it now though, I probably find a way to float the servers inside a Linux since those games are not overly hard to host on that OS with their server code (Minecraft actually runs smoother to me within a Linux environment).  May do a test once I am finish with moving the rest of my stuff.  That if I can source a new chip to put in my X99 board (my 5960X went belly up on me a while back).  I could use my E5-2670 chip, but that is for a different project on an ITX X99 board (going for a mobile server control system once I get my HAM license next month - want to learn how to do packet and data transmission through radio along with their GPS tracking system). 

Just a nutty gal living near the Gulf.

Ya want fun, come down here, we got heat, humidity, and these big arse storms call hurricanes

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, Titan XP, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad 9.7" (2018 model), Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

 

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I got mys system stable, but at very threatening temps. I've never seen temps this high even when rendering and the CPU is only at about 65% load.

 

Also it is showing that my computer is only getting 150k PPD but last week it was scoring close to 700k.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, DragonTamer1 said:

I got mys system stable, but at very threatening temps. I've never seen temps this high even when rendering and the CPU is only at about 65% load.

 

Also it is showing that my computer is only getting 150k PPD but last week it was scoring close to 700k.

Give it a couple hours to get its bearings. One of my clients estimated 1 million PPD and settled down to 250k

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

After adding obscene amount of fan to the phenom II X6 rig, I was able to get CPU folding to a whopping 10K PPD

 

In case you've never seen it before, this is VRM thermal throttling

IMG_20180329_203705.thumb.jpg.a2521f15eb486b0056e5aa1bd6cc17ee.jpg

Edited by iamdarkyoshi
Forgot a zero lul
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

So I figured out my V1 Xeon is forcing my Titan to run at PCIe 2.0. could this be the reason for my fluctuating PPD? It seems that I'm struggling to keep up with 1080Tis at this point, and I'm running 2Ghz+ on watercooling!

 

In other words, is the PCIe bandwidth choking the GPU?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, bad news.

 

My PFSense router stopped responding to pings and nothing had internet, so I rebooted it, and was greeted with this lovely message:

IMG_20180329_232707_522.thumb.jpg.414aa8714d17a265305c6a51620f5cd0.jpg

 

Only issue is...

 

This machine is located in my parents' bedroom closet, and they're not night owls like I am.

 

After an entire hour of getting pissed off and about 10 different trips through their bedroom, trying not to wake them up, I just threw an Abraham Linksys in the closet for routing for now.

 

Folding clients back online.

 

I guess I need a new flash drive to install pfsense to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

welp, i finally figured out why i'm getting so few PPD.

 

right now because i run a V1 E5 xeon, my GPU is running at PCIe 2.0 X8. this is ofcourse much, much too low to properly feed the titan with enough data to prcess.

i'm getting roughly 50% of the performance i should be getting. the only solution to this is getting a V2 Xeon, or going for maybe an I7 4930K. or switching platforms all together...

 

so yeah, i can get a 2670V2 10core for 210 euro's, guess that's the next step to take here. kinda sad that i got so few points during the folding week tough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

My friend sent me his 970 because he decided he wants an R9 390x instead, I am having trouble lining up a local buyer for it so for this week I threw it into my server with the 750. It took the server from 75k PPD to 230K PPD.

 

I was also able to stabilize my desktop system by dropping the base clock back down to 100. Apparently 4.6 is a wall that requires a massively stupid amount of voltage to overcome (still couldn't get it stable at 1.45V).

 

The reason the desktop was getting such low scores was because it kept crashing during the folding. Apparently a crash greatly diminishes the score you receive.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, DragonTamer1 said:

I was also able to stabilize my desktop system by dropping the base clock back down to 100. Apparently 4.6 is a wall that requires a massively stupid amount of voltage to overcome (still couldn't get it stable at 1.45V).

And then there's my testbench folding rig

4800.PNG.779a36d92feff3338b88ed9e764bc91f.PNG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share



×