Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
4 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

I think in order to try to offset some of the PPD loss from getting that PC finaly sold I'm going t obe putting linux on my folding server. 

Anyrecomendatins for the best distro, I have experience with Ubuntu, mint and suse 

Don't use kali. lol. It does seem that ubuntu seems to be the eaiest to get working. Although standard debian doesn't seem to be bad either.

Folding Community Board:

Also check out our Official Folding Month event:

17 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

I think in order to try to offset some of the PPD loss from getting that PC finaly sold I'm going t obe putting linux on my folding server. 

Anyrecomendatins for the best distro, I have experience with Ubuntu, mint and suse 

For a distro I would recommend any Debian based, like Ubuntu. I currently run MX Linux that is based on debian, easier to go with ubuntu as F@H has .deb files on their site.

But if you have AMD cards I must say I have had very little success with getting it working on Linux with F@H. Switched to Nvidia and everything was much easier.

1 hour ago, GOTSpectrum said:

The most information out there is for Ubuntu and Mint (which is forked off Ubuntu).

I recommend Ubuntu and have started a HowTo:

On 9/10/2019 at 4:35 AM, palespartan said:

It sounds like an unstable OC that is causing it to drop to a lower state when it recovers. Even if these are out of the box setting try under clocking it first with mem then if that doesn't do it do core since it will be really hard to tell which one is to blame.

It turns out you may have been correct. It seems that with WU's that have a higher utilisation (over 95% of GPU), that it drops down to 1500 Mhz quite frequently and for long periods, regards of what software is open.

I dropped it down from 1965 Mhz (stock boost) to 1890 Mhz, and now it seems to sit there nicely. Seriously contemplating RMA on the card now for the coil whine issues I've been having. Would wait until after folding month though ?

ITNOS is being a bit weird, only one of the two 1070ti's will boost to over 4800-1900, the other will be at 1600-1700... 

I've tried using Nvidia Profile inspector to force P0 state and that didnt change it (unless I need to reboot for the changes to ACTUALLY take effect? Nvidia inspector says it did though)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Project ITNOS --- P600S VS Define R6/S2

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX550M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

On 9/9/2019 at 7:40 PM, Rusted said:

But if you have AMD cards I must say I have had very little success with getting it working on Linux with F@H. Switched to Nvidia and everything was much easier.

Agree on that... Thought it was just my specific case that have both a AMD and a Nvidia card in one system that it was impossible to get the AMD to get WU:s. but it seems not to be the case.

Both cards are recognized and both CUDA and OpenCL is installed and verified by the F@H-client. My 1060 works nicely... Well, I can both play games and crunch WU:s at the same time without any loss of production... ? as the Vega 64 do all the gaming and keeping my daily tasks in the OS snappy and my 1060 is going hard in the folding-factory.

But it would be nice to have all that power on full steam ahead for the folding month.... ??

But mixing AMD and Nvidia under linux seems to be no go, what I can tell by searching around on the net.

Hey there!

I'm just getting into folding, and i thought i'd ask the few questions that have come up Right here. Hope that's okay.

I'm folding on my iMac 2017 with an i7-7700K and an AMD Radeon Pro 575. While folding on Medium, the fans do spin up quite loudly, but i guess that's because both the CPU and GPU are running and have to be cooled by the one single fan this magnificent has to offer.

Currently, while on medium, it's prognosing About 240.000 Points per day - is that what i would expect from it?

Also, i have my passkey and Team number set up, and my other Computer has already finished a WU, but there aren't any Points assigned in the web interface nor does it Show me a page when clicking my Name. How Long do i have ot wait to be recognised by the Website, or did i do something wrong?

Also, i'm planning on leaving for three days, so my iMac could run on highest Settings for this time straight - Would it be enough to disable Hibernation before leaving and turning the Display off?

Thanks a lot in Advance!

4 hours ago, macminitosh said:

Hey there!

I'm just getting into folding, and i thought i'd ask the few questions that have come up Right here. Hope that's okay.

I'm folding on my iMac 2017 with an i7-7700K and an AMD Radeon Pro 575. While folding on Medium, the fans do spin up quite loudly, but i guess that's because both the CPU and GPU are running and have to be cooled by the one single fan this magnificent has to offer.

Currently, while on medium, it's prognosing About 240.000 Points per day - is that what i would expect from it?

Also, i have my passkey and Team number set up, and my other Computer has already finished a WU, but there aren't any Points assigned in the web interface nor does it Show me a page when clicking my Name. How Long do i have ot wait to be recognised by the Website, or did i do something wrong?

Also, i'm planning on leaving for three days, so my iMac could run on highest Settings for this time straight - Would it be enough to disable Hibernation before leaving and turning the Display off?

Thanks a lot in Advance!

Welcome aboard. Though most of us run Windows we don’t discriminate here? I self identify as a Linux user.

I haven’t seen specifications on the Radeon Pro 575 for folding but if you pick a card from the GPU Folding Performance Database with a similar architecture (Polaris) the numbers should scale mostly linearly based on the ratio of shaders (cores). So you shoul fall somewhere between a RX 560 and a 580 so your performance, including 50-75,000 PPD for the CPU, seems consistent.

Most of us fold on Max rather than medium as there is some weirdness with the client behaviour at lower settings but things may be better in the Mac world.

CPU folding is not usually very efficient compared to GPU Folding so if you find your thermals getting high you may want to pause just the CPU slot (right click on the slot in the advanced control interface) and see if that improves the thermals. If it does then you could either choose to not use the CPU or lower the number of cores until thermals are in check.

GPU folding is unfortunately not supported on Mac.  I'd have a LOT higher folding output if it was.  I found on my Xeon's, especially under OS X, that carving out 3 and 4 thread chunks manually as slots worked better than 1 automatic slot.  It also let me do things like set 1 slot to finish a while before I was going to need to use the machine a bit more heavily, and not have to stop folding.  You may find your best results with a 4 and a 3 on an 8 thread i7, allowing you 1 free thread set so most of the time the system won't be impacted too much, and when you want to use it a bit more heavily, just "finish" (or pause briefly) the 3 thread slot.

Thanks @justpoet and @Gorgon for the Input!

I do have to add that i'm folding on Windows - it's installed via bootcamp. I did fold on macOS first, but as you said, GPU folding is not supported.

If i just fold on my GPU, the fans are undetectably quiet. So if i'm at home, i'll solely fold on the GPU for the sake of quietness.

10 minutes ago, macminitosh said:

Thanks @justpoet and @Gorgon for the Input!

I do have to add that i'm folding on Windows - it's installed via bootcamp. I did fold on macOS first, but as you said, GPU folding is not supported.

If i just fold on my GPU, the fans are undetectably quiet. So if i'm at home, i'll solely fold on the GPU for the sake of quietness.

If you want to CPU fold as well, try making a CPU slot with less than half the threads your CPU will do.  For example on my 4c8t i7 MacBook Pro I ran 3, and the fans basically didn't spin up much more than normal since it wasn't enough to heat up the whole chip.  Going 4 brought the fans up, but not to max, and then going up to 6 max'd the fans.  That being said, most iMacs share a heatsink via heat pipes from the CPU and GPU, so you may have to play with it a bit to see what works for you.  I had no GPU load going while I did the above.

On 9/11/2019 at 3:24 PM, Mattias Edeslatt said:

Agree on that... Thought it was just my specific case that have both a AMD and a Nvidia card in one system that it was impossible to get the AMD to get WU:s. but it seems not to be the case.

Both cards are recognized and both CUDA and OpenCL is installed and verified by the F@H-client. My 1060 works nicely... Well, I can both play games and crunch WU:s at the same time without any loss of production... ? as the Vega 64 do all the gaming and keeping my daily tasks in the OS snappy and my 1060 is going hard in the folding-factory.

But it would be nice to have all that power on full steam ahead for the folding month.... ??

But mixing AMD and Nvidia under linux seems to be no go, what I can tell by searching around on the net.

Use KVM and Create another Linux or Windows VM and pass the Vega through to it. Set up remote access for the Folding Client and connect to it from the host OS

• 2 weeks later...

ITNOS seems to be stabalizing

image.png.97fec44ca06ab454bccad8b5774e4d10.png

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Project ITNOS --- P600S VS Define R6/S2

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX550M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

On 9/24/2019 at 3:40 PM, TVwazhere said:

ITNOS seems to be stabalizing

-SNIP-

Guys I lied

image.png.7fc26a6568ab76fe22935d964d71ee2c.png

There is no stabilizing with F@H, there are always days with significant lower PPD than "normal" with some heavy hitting WU:s bringing down the production.

15 hours ago, Mattias Edeslatt said:

There is no stabilizing with F@H, there are always days with significant lower PPD than "normal" with some heavy hitting WU:s bringing down the production.

Tell that to the GPU that got stuck downloading a WU 

image.png.06f0ce23bf3b8db40809b1551311c32b.png

I've since restarted the PC, but dammit. At least it's not the folding event yet

10 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Tell that to the GPU that got stuck downloading a WU 

image.png.06f0ce23bf3b8db40809b1551311c32b.png

I've since restarted the PC, but dammit. At least it's not the folding event yet

I am being plagued with that atm 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 7 1700 3GHz 8-Core Processor @ 4Ghz
  • Motherboard
    GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    DOMINATOR Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) @ 3400mhz
  • GPU
    Aorus GTX 1080 Waterforce
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    BenQ - XL2430(144hz), Dell 24" portrait
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240
13 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

I am being plagued with that atm 

I've fixed it for now, but I'm not sure if the problem will persist in a few hours from now, as both my 1070ti's will be done with their WU's in an hour from now, but the earliest I'll be able to physically check their progress is over three hours from now. OH HOW MY PPD WILL SUFFER

• 2 weeks later...

so I see this is the official team thread. Just wanted to pop in, say hello, and share my folding story a bit, as it's a tad odd. it's getting cold this time of year, with a cold snap having came through plunging temps down to 5 degrees celsius. our furnace unfortunately wasn't operational yet (needs start of season servicing) so I decided to open up my PC, get a fan by it, and see if it'd warm my room at least. I didn't want to just waste energy running benchmarks, so I looked into distributed computing and ended up here. been running F@H for a couple days already and just recently joined the LTT Team. on full folding my PC genuinely keeps my room warm, and it should last until the furnace starts operating (though we'll see if I even need to open the vent in here lol)

if curious of hardware, I7-2600 non-k CPU, GTX 1070 GPU (slightly overclocked).

IMG_20191004_222326518.jpg

2 hours ago, Mattias Edeslatt said:

Welcome aboard @cpufreak101, always nice with some new members on the team. Hope you keep folding even when the furnace is up and running ? ?

I plan on it as it'd be a good use of the hardware when I'm just watching youtube or reading emails. might just have to adjust folding with the temperature though lol

I came here for almost exactly the same reason. I just got a new house and it doesn't have heat in the basement (where I spend most of my time). I figured I could run something like prime95 to warm it up, but I forgot completely about FAH. Now I'm keeping my basement nice and warm and helping science! 33,505 points (2 WU) and counting! (about to finish a 32,675 point CPU WU).

My rig isn't anything special, but it's working well enough I think. I have a first gen Ryzen 7 1800X (3.6GHz 8 core) and an RX 480. AIO from arctic cooling is keeping things mid 60s, though I snagged the new black noctua after the video today. I'll be curious to see the difference.

1 hour ago, Kn1nJa said:

I came here for almost exactly the same reason. I just got a new house and it doesn't have heat in the basement (where I spend most of my time). I figured I could run something like prime95 to warm it up, but I forgot completely about FAH. Now I'm keeping my basement nice and warm and helping science! 33,505 points (2 WU) and counting! (about to finish a 32,675 point CPU WU).

My rig isn't anything special, but it's working well enough I think. I have a first gen Ryzen 7 1800X (3.6GHz 8 core) and an RX 480. AIO from arctic cooling is keeping things mid 60s, though I snagged the new black noctua after the video today. I'll be curious to see the difference.

Welcome to the basement heating club. You should aim higher though.

I'm running north of 2.9kW of heat now and had to hang a box fan in midair to push the heat out of the unfinished portion to the rest of the house. It's 1C outside now and its 24C in the house and I've yet to turn the heat on! ?