Folding Community Board

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

12 hours ago, Happiness_is_Key said:

will there be a F@H event this year? If so, how do we get news about it and participate? Any knowledge is gratefully accepted. 🙂

Usually in October @GOTSpectrum has some kind of notification thingy or Discord

1859146151_ScreenShot.thumb.png.2551e897bf642e3f6f09680d8ef8567e.png

Nice - Suggestion: Lose the monitor and control it over the network (see the Remote Access FAQ in my sig.

.. is there anyway to vent the heat outside during the summertime? ... Any thoughts?

Don't worry about it. 2 PCs, one with a 1650/60 won't produce that much heat. If your concered use afterburner to slide the power limit all the way down for the GPU. You will be surprised by how little your points are reduced.

You can also set the GPU system up to not fold during the expensive electricity periods by using TaskScheduler. Set it to "Finish" about half the average duration of a WU before the electricity gets expensive then "un-pause" when the electricity gets inexpensive again.

FAHClient --send-finish
FAHClient --send-unpause

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

IM BACK! Hey Everyone!

After a while of beeing gone im back to folding again.
production_day_php.png.7168dbdf66fc24bd8086eaf29d323255.png

Hope to join up for the next event.

I have some new hardware too that is pretty fun to play around with 🙂
image0.thumb.jpg.de2f19cd605232162da9ae41eaf3836c.jpg

Take care!

//Ola

14 hours ago, Gorgon said:

Usually in October @GOTSpectrum has some kind of notification thingy or Discord

Gotcha. I looked around some to see when past events happened and gathered it was around that timeframe, but wanted to make sure I didn't miss it. On the calendar it goes, thank you!

Nice - Suggestion: Lose the monitor and control it over the network (see the Remote Access FAQ in my sig.

Thank you. I do use a remote access program called Jump Desktop to access it regularly from a sharing screen level, but thank you. Nonetheless, I'll still happily check out the FAQ. I do use the Remote Access on the laptop (as seen here) to control the desktop that has the 1660 Super in it. I suppose I could transfer it all over to my Mac's client. I originally uninstalled it on the Mac as it kept starting a new Work Unit every time I restarted it, but I've since learned how to fix that issue.

The only reason that I still have the monitor around is because I don't have a the power button on the laptop, so if there's a power issue, that means I have to unplug all power (battery that's kinda used as a UPS of sorts, the DC in, as well as the CMOS battery.) from the computer, then I can plug everything back in starting with the CMOS battery. Once that's done, it starts booting up, but because the CMOS battery had to be removed, it says the time is incorrect (which I don't really care about, but haven't taken the time to see if there's a way to disable that...yet), but I need to hook up the mouse to click on 'continue' for it to proceed to booting up. Plus, removing the display cable which is on the back side of the motherboard is a pain as I'd have to take it off the cardboard every time which would wear it out overtime. Of course, I could cut out a hole on the back on the cardboard, but I hope that adding the battery the I've had sitting around for the past year to act as somewhat of a UPS will help it. The display is set to go to sleep after one minute of no activity to save power as it's not needed. If I need it to come on, I can tap it as it's a touch screen. As far as I can remember, our longest power outage over the past 5 or so years has only been roughly one-two hours long so it's very reliable. However, there are blips every now and then that do trip it, and I have to go through the booting process as mentioned above.

To negate all of this, I could just mount it to my desk monitor via HDMI as I use my Mac (my Mac is my daily driver right now) docked as I'm working from home right now, but I haven't figured out a way to mount it where it looks okay as there isn't really any other visually appealing place to put it other than the closet which is where it currently is. I'm also out of ethernet ports on my desk switch, but I could switch (pun intended) a couple of things around to make it work. Anyways, it'll most likely be moved to the desk space soon, but I have to think of a good way to mount it where nothing gets shorted, reasonably easy to clean when needed, among other things. I suppose I could mount it behind my monitor by putting two small nails in the drywall. A great plus is that my actual UPS is at my desk, so I can negate the 'temporary UPS' battery from the equation that came with the laptop. Lots to think about with some domino effect results depending on what I chose to do. I'll probably keep thinking about it this week and move it over to my desk if I'm being honest with myself. Hahahaha.

Don't worry about it. 2 PCs, one with a 1650/60 won't produce that much heat. If your concered use afterburner to slide the power limit all the way down for the GPU. You will be suprise how little your points are reduced.

You can also set the GPU system up to no fold during the expensive electricity periods by using TaskScheduler. Set it to "Finish" about half the average duration of a WU before the electricity gets expensive then "un-pause" when the electricity gets inexpensive again.

FAHClient --send-finish
FAHClient --send-unpause

Roger that. I wasn't necessarily thinking I needed to do something that drastic where I make the heat go outside with my current setup, but perhaps later on when I get a rig solely for F@H or something similar. I have looked through some dedicated contributors including yourself to see what other people do, and I'm guessing that most people just vent in out into their residence (or wherever their computers reside)? I think if you could somehow vent the heat directly into the HVAC system where the return air ducks are, this could work without having to put a RAD outside or anything like that. If you can't already tell, I like to dream of what I can do or what the possibilities are. I'll keep in mind about Task Scheduler though, that does sound like something that could be useful in my case.

Thank you!

I hope you're having a great day, and are doing well!

Please tag me (@Happiness_is_Key ) or quote me in your post so I can see it.

F@H: Happy_Person62

2 hours ago, Happiness_is_Key said:

Gotcha. I looked around some to see when past events happened and gathered it was around that timeframe, but wanted to make sure I didn't miss it. On the calendar it goes, thank you!

Folding month is usually around October yeah, the exact date changes based on my own personal availability honestly. There will be a summer folding sprint to which will be, as you probably guessed, in summer, usually around the middle of the year. 

I am thinking about doing a folding weekend or two just as an interesting thing to mix it up but I've not decided on if that makes sense to be for the amount of time it takes to set up vs the length of event. 

Just a bit of a PSA for everyone:

The charity(technically a 'registered support organisation' for legal reasons) that I set up five years ago and continue to run recently lost our funding stream so I will be dedicating more of my time towards raising money and diversifying our funding in future. I'm probably looking at more crowdsourced funding along with bidding for grants to help make sure we don't end up in this position again.  This means that as you have probably noticed I'm not around as much as I usually am. But I am planning for there to be at least two more folding events this year, the week long summer folding sprint and the 5 week long annual folding month. 

Anyway, if anyone can think of good ways to raise money I'd appreciate you dropping me a DM with your ideas. please DON'T post about ideas on this thread as I'd like to keep it on topic. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

On 5/29/2021 at 8:11 PM, Gorgon said:

@TVwazhere Can I get my quadruple Mythic please 😉

233998703_FAH-Diamondx4.png.062cea1c472b0f224177331a0c5e54eb.png

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Okay, quick update here on the setup if anyone cares to read it in response to my earlier post. I have ended up moving the shucked Dell laptop by my desk behind the monitor to help the visual appeal and keep the bleeding fan noise now. I figured out the ethernet issue, removed the monitor as @Gorgonmentioned, and plugged it into my main monitor. I also added the F@H Client to my daily driver to monitor it all easily as I was previously monitoring another PC on the laptop, and then remoting into that laptop to see how the PC was doing. To be clear, there are three total PCs: the shucked Dell laptop, another desktop rig with a 1660 Super, and my main daily driver which I don't normally fold on as it's Mac and the Intel i9-9880H usually throttles the performance down enough to where it gets similar PPD to the laptop Dell all while using a lot more electricity as well as more unnecessary wear on it.

You can see shucked laptop looks like here mounted on the wall:

1473010833_ScreenShot3.thumb.png.79bd8c6d821f630b81321c7c7c4f6e0f.png

Here, you can see that it's being hidden behind my monitor:

900850369_ScreenShot4.thumb.png.2b18a439cf75579b9f3af2013000c534.png

All in all, thank you for the suggestions! The mission was a success.

Happy folding!

9 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Folding month is usually around October yeah, the exact date changes based on my own personal availability honestly. There will be a summer folding sprint to which will be, as you probably guessed, in summer, usually around the middle of the year. 

I am thinking about doing a folding weekend or two just as an interesting thing to mix it up but I've not decided on if that makes sense to be for the amount of time it takes to set up vs the length of event. 

Understood. Will there be a noticeable thread on here for that or could it put on the forum calendar?  Just someway we could get updates as they happen otherwise you'd have to find the thread and follow it while searching for it everyday of the middle or the week more or less depending on how engaged one might be with it. Just a friendly thought. Let me know if I could be of any assistance with that. I'm not trying to off-load more work onto you as I know you're probably a very busy person.

9 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Just a bit of a PSA for everyone:

The charity(technically a 'registered support organisation' for legal reasons) that I set up five years ago and continue to run recently lost our funding stream so I will be dedicating more of my time towards raising money and diversifying our funding in future. I'm probably looking at more crowdsourced funding along with bidding for grants to help make sure we don't end up in this position again.  This means that as you have probably noticed I'm not around as much as I usually am. But I am planning for there to be at least two more folding events this year, the week long summer folding sprint and the 5 week long annual folding month. 

Anyway, if anyone can think of good ways to raise money I'd appreciate you dropping me a DM with your ideas. please DON'T post about ideas on this thread as I'd like to keep it on topic. 

Uh oh! That doesn't sound good, but I'm not entirely sure what it means. Is there somewhere I could read up on this? I'm a bit confused on that, but I'd be happy to help contribute where I can.

Many thanks!

4 hours ago, Happiness_is_Key said:

Understood. Will there be a noticeable thread on here for that or could it put on the forum calendar?  Just someway we could get updates as they happen otherwise you'd have to find the thread and follow it while searching for it everyday of the middle or the week more or less depending on how engaged one might be with it. Just a friendly thought. Let me know if I could be of any assistance with that. I'm not trying to off-load more work onto you as I know you're probably a very busy person.

I'm currently thinking on a better way to notify people about upcoming events, the best way currently would probably be to follow this thread and/or follow myself on the forum. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Another joins the Fold.

Spoiler

20210531_135254.thumb.jpg.339e745e2f34d1d671f7a11051a6a01e.jpg

I'm off F@H right now since I've been swapping GPUs and F@H gets confused, but once my replacement fan for this arrives (the pictured cooling solution is temporary) I'll have a GTX 690 and 2 GTX 650 Ti BOOSTs running 22/7.

elephants

Here's my last hurrah. I can't afford the electric at this time, as my air conditioner is running and taking up the bills. It'll be back online in 3 or so weeks. This will be the longest in a year, that the system has had computational tasks turned off.

Screenshot_61.thumb.png.2f141d79741eec1484a7ec5e51e6c5ec.png

Current Build

Hey, it's the forum user formerly known as Den-Fi.

Just wanted to let you guys know that next week is my last week on the forum.

I will also be retiring from the folding team (as well as retiring that account.)

Thanks for all the years of fun. Particularly the last few folding events.

@GOTSpectrum thanks for always making them fun and interesting.

@Gorgon Wear the crown well! It's heavy lol.

I wish you guys all the best in the future.

42 minutes ago, forum user said:

I will also be retiring from the folding team (as well as retiring that account.)

I'm not going to lie, it's sad to see you go. I hope all is well with you my friend.

All the best,

Spec.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

45 minutes ago, forum user said:

Take care, my friend. I'll miss your friendly banter 'round these parts. My best to you in your future endeavors.

1 hour ago, forum user said:

F

Sad to see you head off.  Hope it is for fun new endeavors.

Sad to see you leave I'll have to find someone else to pick on. All the best in the future.

Just now, Caliber Mengsk said:

Almost top 300 on the LTT Team, top 4,000 in the world, and almost to a half billion points 😄

You should claim your badge here:

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

It's been fun chasing your tail these last few years. Best of luck in your future endeavors. We have lots of up and coming members to keep me on my toes.

Thank-you for contributing so much to the team and this cause. You will be missed.

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

20 minutes ago, Gorgon said:

We have lots of up and coming members to keep me on my toes.

I've noticed! Made me feel a bit better knowing I was leaving the team in excellent hands.

1 hour ago, marknd59 said:

I'll have to find someone else to pick on.

I might be able to fill that. Once I get home on the 10th, I plan on trying to set up F@H. Completely new to F@H and VMs... Should be fun.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 hour ago, IkeaGnome said:

I might be able to fill that. Once I get home on the 10th, I plan on trying to set up F@H. Completely new to F@H and VMs... Should be fun.

Welcome to the team! I'm sure you'll fold into the ranks nicely 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

5 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

This is why we need a disappointed react

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

5 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

That or I'm expecting too much out of the case that I have it all in.

Spoiler

IMG-20210512-WA0037.thumb.jpeg.d63f0564ae069d3b7af0450337eb6774.jpeg

I'm hoping they don't completely strangle each other. If they do, I'm looking at a new motherboard. I donated a mobo, cpu and ram last month to someone whose died on them.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

3 hours ago, forum user said:

As I've said before, it's sad to see you go. I'll be sure to write a farewell message next week. 

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct