Folding Community Board

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

Spoiler

9 hours ago, Starman57 said:

Yes, I am aware that you just record what the FAH client reports, and have no say in the calculation.  Thanks for that.  Yes, WU calculations are not 100% consistent, but on each individual WU, they are close to being consistent assuming that the underlying computing loads are the same.  That's where a problem crops up, because if you are also using the computer at the same time, this will extend FAH compute times as it's fighting for computing resources.

Yes, my 6900XT falls into the "bucket" you specified.  I found out from FAH is that they "categorize" cards based loosely on the PCI ID, however they don't fully parse it hence the "bucket" approach.  As for the blend, yes of course, but I wonder what it would take in terms of performance from the "slower" members of the group to account for an "average" that rises from 1 hour 45 minutes to 2 hours 55 minutes?  It must mean that the slower 6xxx cards must be incredibly slow at FAH loads to account for an almost doubling of the time!  I looked at the FP32 performance of them, and they aren't that much slower, as the 6800 (the slowest) is only 30% slower than the 6900XT (fastest) in the group.

Quoted from the FAH forum where I raised this issue "FAH will continue to award the same baseline points for both AMD and nVidia."  As for folding architecture, FAH defines that.  The Nvidia and AMD GPUs aren't specifically designed folding cards.  They aren't ASICs.  As such, it should be a pretty easy correlation between cards based on the predominant compute instructions used, namely FP32 (as reported by FAH - "In fact, FP64 performance is quite different, too, favoring nV by a large factor but I don't use that number since it makes a much smaller contribution to overall performance than FP32 does.")

Looking at my FAH numbers as reported by Folding in the Dark, I'm surmising that a LOT of people are somehow running the FAH client (both GPU and CPU) really badly.  Correction, inefficiently.  Could it be they just install the program and that's it?  Windows does a lousy job of scheduling a specific heavy load, or at least the FAH load, on modern multicore CPU's which also impacts GPU's as well.  Witness the differences in performance with Linux which either has a smarter scheduler or less bloat to deal with.  I can only speak to my personal setup, and my contribution of Linux WUs on 5700XT GPUs for the last couple of weeks has changed the trend line quite noticeably.  As the days progress, I'm guessing the Linux line will deflect even more based on the PPD numbers my 2 machines are locally reporting.  Take a look.

https://folding.lar.systems/gpu_ppd/brands/amd/folding_profile/navi_10_radeon_rx_5600_oem5600_xt57005700_xt

As for help, you are already doing monumental work by providing Folding in the Dark and it's website database.  Kudos.   I just asked the basic question of client "rebalancing" just in case you were somehow plugged into the goings on behind the scenes (pending change lists) as to client changes and API calls.  Since you were blind-sided by the latest API difficulties, I'm guessing not.  Never hurts to ask.

Anyway, I'll still plod along with the 6900XT at 15-25% higher than the average.  Now that I've finally got my 5950x, I'm getting 75-100+% higher PPD:PLP number.  Example?  WU 16959.  5950x CPU average: 23,442.  My current: 49,124.  I've had the same effect on my 3950x's which possibly contributed to the skewed results comparing the 3950x to the 5950x.  Ever notice the 3950x is quite a bit higher than the 5950x?  That should change over time as I know based on local results that the 5950x is quite a bit faster than the 3950x (my guess based on FAH is about 20%).  Whether it will ever show up in your database after being watered down by inefficient results and averaged remains to be seen.

Again, thanks for the work you do.

Something I believe you're not accounting for is the rapid return bonus, which makes points not linear based on performance, but closer to exponential.  A lot of the low end 6000 cards also don't have coolers capable of keeping them running at advertised speeds when under a long constant workflow like folding.  When you combine those two factors, I wouldn't be surprised to see the 30% performance difference you mention be around 50% points difference in practice.

1 hour ago, justpoet said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Something I believe you're not accounting for is the rapid return bonus, which makes points not linear based on performance, but closer to exponential.  A lot of the low end 6000 cards also don't have coolers capable of keeping them running at advertised speeds when under a long constant workflow like folding.  When you combine those two factors, I wouldn't be surprised to see the 30% performance difference you mention be around 50% points difference in practice.

Could be.  But that's for points, not for time.

The average reported is 2h55m (175 minutes).  You'd need a much larger difference to make up the loss from 105 minutes (6900XT) to 175 minute average.  Since it's an average, the slowdown has to be higher to offset the 6900XT time of 1h45m.  So for every 6900XT return in 105 minutes, the 6800 would have to return it's WU in 245 minutes ((245+105)/2=175).  Based on a 30% slower FP32 performance than a 6900XT, a 6800 should do that same WU in 137 minutes, which is a lot lower than 245 minutes.  This would mean that the 6800 would have to be almost 1.8x slower than the FP32 performance would indicate.  What would that do to the points awarded, including the rapid return bonus (maybe not called rapid then?).

The same average problem arises when you mix in the 6800XT which is slower than the 6900XT, but faster than the 6800 as all of them are in the same "bucket".

Something is way off on the average?  Something is way off on the points?  Something is way off on the reported completion times?  All of them?

2 hours ago, Starman57 said:

Could be.  But that's for points, not for time.

The average reported is 2h55m (175 minutes).  You'd need a much larger difference to make up the loss from 105 minutes (6900XT) to 175 minute average.  Since it's an average, the slowdown has to be higher to offset the 6900XT time of 1h45m.  So for every 6900XT return in 105 minutes, the 6800 would have to return it's WU in 245 minutes ((245+105)/2=175).  Based on a 30% slower FP32 performance than a 6900XT, a 6800 should do that same WU in 137 minutes, which is a lot lower than 245 minutes.  This would mean that the 6800 would have to be almost 1.8x slower than the FP32 performance would indicate.  What would that do to the points awarded, including the rapid return bonus (maybe not called rapid then?).

The same average problem arises when you mix in the 6800XT which is slower than the 6900XT, but faster than the 6800 as all of them are in the same "bucket".

Something is way off on the average?  Something is way off on the points?  Something is way off on the reported completion times?  All of them?

Your time calculation could be derailed by a lot of simple things, such as :

i) The 6800 samples not boosting/not achieving their rated clock speed

ii) The users doing something else in the background, say, playing a less-demanding game like Fortnite or Minecraft or watching 4K HD videos

iii) The users turning off their computer at nights, without noticing(or caring) that the WU hasn't been finished yet

iv) Some other problem with the computer causing the Folding core to shut down and restart multiple times in the time it takes to finish the WU.

Desktop 1 : Ryzen 5 3600 (O/C to 4Ghz all-core) | Gigabyte B450M-DS3H | 24GB DDR4-2400 Crucial(O/C to 2667) | GALAX RTX 2060 6GB | CoolerMaster MWE 650 Gold

Desktop 2 : i5 10400 | 32GB DDR4-3200(@ 2667Mhz) |  EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8 GB | Corsair CV450M

Laptop : ASUS ROG Strix G17 : i7-10750H, 16GB RAM, GTX 1660Ti 6GB(90W), 1TB NVMe SSD

Yoga 3 14 - i7-5500U, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 940M, 256GB SSD

Hi all!  I have been watching the Linus Media Group's youtube stuff for awhile, and I've also been contributing to Folding@Home for awhile.  I just recently figured out how to set my team, and I finally signed up for a forums account.  I had 9,500,000 points, but I guess they don't transfer over to the team when I switch.  Oh well, starting from scratch!

Since I installed my 1080 in my rig, I keep getting the odd "video scheduler internal error" BSOD. The 1080 passed all benchmarking and has been running for several days straight, without issue. The BDOD comes when I touch the memory on the card, even by just +1Mhz, or the GPU task suddenly stops. This was also noted on my test system.

Could the riser (4x4x4x4) be contributing?

Any ideas? It's a reliable card otherwise.

Current Build

14 hours ago, joshmaze said:

Hi all!  I have been watching the Linus Media Group's youtube stuff for awhile, and I've also been contributing to Folding@Home for awhile.  I just recently figured out how to set my team, and I finally signed up for a forums account.  I had 9,500,000 points, but I guess they don't transfer over to the team when I switch.  Oh well, starting from scratch!

You keep your existing points, they just don't count for the team.  Future points count for both you and the team. 🙂

Welcome to the LTT Fold!

16 hours ago, rkv_2401 said:

Your time calculation could be derailed by a lot of simple things, such as :

i) The 6800 samples not boosting/not achieving their rated clock speed

ii) The users doing something else in the background, say, playing a less-demanding game like Fortnite or Minecraft or watching 4K HD videos

iii) The users turning off their computer at nights, without noticing(or caring) that the WU hasn't been finished yet

iv) Some other problem with the computer causing the Folding core to shut down and restart multiple times in the time it takes to finish the WU.

To add too this, users that lower power settings for their card to save money folding.

The Facepalm of people I see trying to fold using old mining rigs on 1X risers.  

Combine these with any of the above and brutal PPD.

Hardware & Programming Enthusiast - Creator of LAR_Systems "Folding@Home in the Dark" browser extension and GPU / CPU PPD Database. 

With the resurgence of mining perhaps now is the time to request separate sub forms for mining and distributed computing.

even if we have to walk away from all the existing content getting rid of the “noise” world be worth it IMHO

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

1 hour ago, Gorgon said:

With the resurgence of mining perhaps now is the time to request separate sub forms for mining and distributed computing.

even if we have to walk away from all the existing content getting rid of the “noise” world be worth it IMHO

Was considering requesting a "Mining Community Board", as this is obviously missing. I think it's time that we request one.

Current Build

17 hours ago, maximumzero said:

Really wish I could get a cheap GPU to toss into my Folding rigs, but even “cheap” GPUs these days have gotten ridiculous. Ugh.

I've started to repair my own GPU's. Out of 5, I've brought 2 back from the dead (No detection). Other 3 have shorts, which I'm waiting for funds on a thermal camera to identify.

My current 1080 that running 24/7, just had a blown fuse on the 12 volt rail. I could sell it now, and make £160 profit, if I wanted.

Current Build

3 hours ago, LazyDev said:

I've started to repair my own GPU's. Out of 5, I've brought 2 back from the dead (No detection). Other 3 have shorts, which I'm waiting for funds on a thermal camera to identify.

My current 1080 that running 24/7, just had a blown fuse on the 12 volt rail. I could sell it now, and make £160 profit, if I wanted.

Dumb Q
why not test R to ground? I'm thinking that because to don't have a super sensitive meter

8 hours ago, Gorgon said:

Is there really that much to go through?  It seems like 80% of the traffic for folding is in this thread or the request for badges thread.  

7 minutes ago, vsteel said:

Is there really that much to go through?  It seems like 80% of the traffic for folding is in this thread or the request for badges thread.  

Requests for badges are down I'd guestimate 80% from a few months ago. 

Red is 5 pages of requests between November and December, Blue is only 3 pages of requests between January and Now (April)image.png.61386a56bc85492e823346da1842f44a.png

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

This could be a red herring as the badges changed end of December no?

6 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Requests for badges are down I'd guestimate 80% from a few months ago. 

Red is 5 pages of requests between November and December, Blue is only 3 pages of requests between January and Now (April)image.png.61386a56bc85492e823346da1842f44a.png

2 minutes ago, NetoriusNick said:

that's also around the time we hold our largest F@H event.

19 minutes ago, NetoriusNick said:

17 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

that's also around the time we hold our largest F@H event.

He's right. The Folding Event ended in November and a lot of people were submitting their requests for badges for the points they acquired (Event badges are handed out automatically based on eligibility) There's a typically a surge of requests at the end of events (based on Official event 2019 and 2020; sprints to a lesser degree)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

16 hours ago, Gorgon said:

I asked that this be done during the last mining boom and the admins/mods really didn't seem to like the idea. Maybe they'll change their minds this time.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

18 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

He's right. The Folding Event ended in November and a lot of people were submitting their requests for badges for the points they acquired (Event badges are handed out automatically based on eligibility) There's a typically a surge of requests at the end of events (based on Official event 2019 and 2020; sprints to a lesser degree)

Also the requirements for badges have gone up, so it's kinda harder to get one now...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

37 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

so far it seems the site is still not quite ready 😅

welp.thumb.PNG.eae612789f65c7243c6f1ee769805f68.PNG

wait nvm, it's working now!

whoo!.PNG.c81ea827fa789702aa086c639ce4fb05.PNG

What is the url they are using now? I couldn't get to my new stats page (only the "classic" one using classicstats...)

3 minutes ago, Captainmarino said:

What is the url they are using now? I couldn't get to my new stats page (only the "classic" one using classicstats...)

https://stats.foldingathome.org/donor/RollinLower gets you to mine