Folding Community Board

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

5 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Got the 1650! Popped it in, FAH picked it up but wouldn't fold on it, had to set openCL to 0 and Cuda to 1 manually. Took a few minuted but grabbed some work and hammered my CPU because i3, I need to swap in the i5 I guess. Overall PPD took a huge nose dive with both cards running, to about 500K PPD vs the lone P106-100 at 700K PPD. Currently trying to get JUST the 1650 to fold but fahcontrol is being wonky and doesn't seem to like to issue commands down to the fah process properly. It works fine from my laptop remotely, but at the actual PC it's being weird which is new in the past few days. Anyway, finally got the P106 paused and the 1650 folding by itself at 75W is doing a quickly estimated 600-700K PPD and barely making any noise to do so. I really think I'm going to grab a 2nd 1650 of the same cheap OEM style and just run one or two of those for the long term folding box. Now to procure an i5 S lower power CPU, I gave my 4590S away to my dad's PC build.

Disable CPU folding if you plan to use 2 GPUs on low-tier CPU.

Delete all slots. And then add first GPU>OK>add second GPU>OK>Save (do not edit gpu-index, opencl-index or cuda-index, just leave them all at -1), you will have much higher PPD, less heat (due to no CPU folding) and both of your cards will work without any problems IF you have correct drivers and good enough PSU.

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Case Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA  Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB

PSU Corsair HX850i  Cooling Custom EKWB loop

Display Acer Predator x34 120Hz

1 hour ago, Favebook said:

Disable CPU folding if you plan to use 2 GPUs on low-tier CPU.

Delete all slots. And then add first GPU>OK>add second GPU>OK>Save (do not edit gpu-index, opencl-index or cuda-index, just leave them all at -1), you will have much higher PPD, less heat (due to no CPU folding) and both of your cards will work without any problems IF you have correct drivers and good enough PSU.

Already not CPU folding, the issue is that Nvidia drivers hold one CPU thread per GPU when it's in use by F@H so both physical cores of the i3 are held for the GPU leaving nothing for the system overhead to run with except the fictional hyper-threading 'cores'. Running the rest of the system takes away enough resources from the Nvidia driver threads that it slows folding down substantially. I have a 4590 or something in the basement but I'd prefer a low power i5 for long term use, I'm seeing about sniping a T series 4 core i5 but prices are very meh at the moment, they're niche CPU's.

PSU is a 600W Gold Apevia that's a decent re-brand of some thing else. I've had the issue with cards not picking up work until I manually set the Cuda or OpenCL before, usually after a reboot it'll fix itself but not this time for some reason, running the latest or maybe now the 2nd latest nvidia drivers. OS overhead could get a little lighter if I wasn't so GUI dependent still, but Xubuntu is fairly light. I could probably disable some more things like CUPS and other non necessary services, and I will at some point. There's just no getting around Nvidia wanting a dedicated thread for each of their GPU in the system. AMD doesn't need that, but the RX580 is too power hungry and hot.

Edit: Was having some kind of weird issue with the P106 not wanting to stop doing work even though it showed as paused in fahcontrol, so I pulled the card out. I'll fold with just the 1650 for a while, probably going to sell the P106-100 at some point I guess.

Edit2: Yeah, fahcontrol was really acting up funky, it wasn't actually changing the information shown when I was selecting different slots. 300-350K PPD on the 1650 currently, maybe it's a weak WU. I'll let it run for a couple days and see what's up.  Ah I checked the logs, it's running OpenCL not Cuda for some reason now. I'll fix that tomorrow or else I'll be up all dang night messing with this. Once it's sorted out it should be a better producer.

10 hours ago, MrFinn741 said:

Do you have single or multi CPU systems? When testing my dual Xeon server I only got 75-90% utilization when running all threads in one slot, probably because the CPU-CPU communication can't keep up. I did try more slots and fewer cores per slot but same low util, probably have had to force which cores a slot should use. Switched over to Boinc instead where the cores run individually and got 100% util no problem.

Both.  Both are also running Mac OS X and getting 100% utilization either way on most WUs.

So I ended up staying up trying to fix it, broke it worse, and found out that the 16GB SSD (Don't ask...) was full while trying to reinstall the nvidia drivers because Cuda wasn't working, and ended up cloning the drive to a spare 128GB Samsung 830 SSD and it's still not fixed but I am too tired to continue working on this so I'll pick up tomorrow evening. Don't even know if this fixes it, may just do a clean install and start from scratch because a clean canvas can be easier than trying to paint over your old lines.

5 hours ago, Bitter said:

So I ended up staying up trying to fix it, broke it worse, and found out that the 16GB SSD (Don't ask...) was full while trying to reinstall the nvidia drivers because Cuda wasn't working, and ended up cloning the drive to a spare 128GB Samsung 830 SSD and it's still not fixed but I am too tired to continue working on this so I'll pick up tomorrow evening. Don't even know if this fixes it, may just do a clean install and start from scratch because a clean canvas can be easier than trying to paint over your old lines.

make sure to update the F@H Client.  7.6.21 haven't had any issues if its 7.6.1x or some of earlier versions cant remember the number had issues with multi gpu.

My EOC F@H stats | My F@H Stats | My Real time F@H Production | My Boinc Stats

My team in point Generation order:

- Bender: Corsair CARBIDE 600C | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | Noctua NH-U14H | 1TB Toshiba SSD | EVGA XC3 Ultra 3070LHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | EVGA FTW 3070FHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 1000 Gold SSR-1000FX | 55" Samsung 120Hz 3D TV

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Scooty-Puff: Alienware M15R5 | Win 11 Pro | AMD R7-5800H | 64GB DDR4-3200 | PC711 & WD SN750 SE 1TB | 3070M | 240 Watt ACadapter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Omicron_Persei_8: Dell G5 5511 | Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS | Intel i7-11800 | 32GB DDR4-3200 | 1x512GB BC711 & 2TB Intel 660p | 3060M | 240 Watt ACadapter

- Calculon (MainTower): Fractal Design Meshify S2 White | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 3900x | 32GB DDR4-3200 TridentZ RGB | Noctua NH-D15 | 1x SN750SE | AMD 5700XT XFX Rx-57XT8OFF6 | Gigabyte X570 WiFi Pro | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750 Gold SSR-750FX | 2x Dell S3422DWG & Dell U2715H & Dell U2917W

- Leela:  Fractal Design Focus G Blue | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz | AMD Wraith cooler | Toshiba KSG60ZMV256G | EVGA 2060 KO | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 650 Gold SSR-650-FX | 

Honorable Mentions:

- iZac (Server): Fractal Design Node 804 | Win 11 Pro | Ryzen 5700G | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | AMD Wraith Prism

5x1TB NVME | 2x2TB 7x4TB 1x 8TB SATA HDD | ASROCKRACK x470D4U | RM750i PSU | NO Monitor

- Nibbler: Framework 16 | Win 11 Pro | AMD R7 7840HS | 16" 2560x1600 | 64 GB RAM DDR5-5600 | 2TB WD SN770m & 2TB Seagate FireCuda 530 | AMD 780M  | 180Watt ACadapter

2023 Model 3 Ryzen APU | 2TB Samsung T7

Useful stuff i may mention

F@H Babysitter | F@H in the Dark | HFM Setup

2 hours ago, cbigfoot said:

make sure to update the F@H Client.  7.6.21 haven't had any issues if its 7.6.1x or some of earlier versions cant remember the number had issues with multi gpu.

Installed new versions of both this morning. Now folding after some other screwery...with Cuda correctly. May try adding the P106 back later, I want to figure out some better fans for it so it's not screaming all the time.

On 4/26/2020 at 4:17 PM, Gorgon said:

All you need is CoolBits 12 (8 + 4) for Fan Control and Over-clocking. For multiple GPUs I usually use:

sudo nvidia-xconfig -a --cool-bits=12 --allow-empty-initial-configuration

Bringing this back from the dead, tried that, black screen, had to login tty and delete xorg.conf to get gui back. Suggestions?

22 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Bringing this back from the dead, tried that, black screen, had to login tty and delete xorg.conf to get gui back. Suggestions?

edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf adding

Option "Coolbits" "12"

to each "Screen" Section.

service gdm3 restart

or reboot

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

11 hours ago, Gorgon said:

Option "Coolbits" "12"

service gdm3 restart

or reboot

I'll give it a whirl tonight, I'm running the screen from the Intel iGPU, does that make a difference? Also, I don't currently have an xorg.conf. Should I let Nvidia X-Server settings produce one and then edit that file or should I have x-config produce one? What's so odd is that I had this working with the P106, but it's not working with the 1650. I reinstalled the Nvidia drivers to get the 1650 folding with Cuda after I removed the P106 from the system.

22 hours ago, Gorgon said:

Option "Coolbits" "12"

service gdm3 restart

or reboot

Scored a "35W" i5 4590T for the system so I'm going to pop that in and start from scratch with both cards installed, sometime next week probably, I need to bodge some better fans on the P106, it's just too loud as it is now. The 1650 is folding away at around 450K PPD which is a little lower than I had hoped but for how quiet it is and how little power it uses (averaging around 70W) I really can't complain. When I start from scratch with both cards and the new CPU I should have an easier time with things because I won't be messing with trying to make things work after the fact. I hope. Still don't know why coolbits keeps giving me so much trouble when I had it working previously.

Got FoldyPuffSr online for the weekend to leapfrog me a few places up and since it's cold the heat won't bother me. Approx 5500 PPW for the Vega56 and approx 6400 PPW for the 1650, efficient little thing just want moooorrreeeee from it. I also need to take into account the rest of the system power draw, FoldyPuffSr is not an efficient system for long term use, it idles around 40W from the CPU when folding and is powering 32GB of RAM as well, it all adds up over time. I'd like to replace the P106-100 with a 1660 or something like it in the next year or so for the sake of better returns per watt as well. Ampere would be nice to buy into but it's $$$, maybe when they release the low end Ampere.

Am i the only one who is not getting any covid moonshot WU? I got two few days ago and that's it.

11 hours ago, Critaek said:

Am i the only one who is not getting any covid moonshot WU? I got two few days ago and that's it.

all im getting on my 3 gpus 2x2060s and 1x5700xt are moonshots.

My EOC F@H stats | My F@H Stats | My Real time F@H Production | My Boinc Stats

My team in point Generation order:

- Bender: Corsair CARBIDE 600C | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | Noctua NH-U14H | 1TB Toshiba SSD | EVGA XC3 Ultra 3070LHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | EVGA FTW 3070FHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 1000 Gold SSR-1000FX | 55" Samsung 120Hz 3D TV

- Scooty-Puff: Alienware M15R5 | Win 11 Pro | AMD R7-5800H | 64GB DDR4-3200 | PC711 & WD SN750 SE 1TB | 3070M | 240 Watt ACadapter

- Omicron_Persei_8: Dell G5 5511 | Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS | Intel i7-11800 | 32GB DDR4-3200 | 1x512GB BC711 & 2TB Intel 660p | 3060M | 240 Watt ACadapter

- Calculon (MainTower): Fractal Design Meshify S2 White | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 3900x | 32GB DDR4-3200 TridentZ RGB | Noctua NH-D15 | 1x SN750SE | AMD 5700XT XFX Rx-57XT8OFF6 | Gigabyte X570 WiFi Pro | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750 Gold SSR-750FX | 2x Dell S3422DWG & Dell U2715H & Dell U2917W

- Leela:  Fractal Design Focus G Blue | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz | AMD Wraith cooler | Toshiba KSG60ZMV256G | EVGA 2060 KO | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 650 Gold SSR-650-FX | 

Honorable Mentions:

- iZac (Server): Fractal Design Node 804 | Win 11 Pro | Ryzen 5700G | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | AMD Wraith Prism

5x1TB NVME | 2x2TB 7x4TB 1x 8TB SATA HDD | ASROCKRACK x470D4U | RM750i PSU | NO Monitor

- Nibbler: Framework 16 | Win 11 Pro | AMD R7 7840HS | 16" 2560x1600 | 64 GB RAM DDR5-5600 | 2TB WD SN770m & 2TB Seagate FireCuda 530 | AMD 780M  | 180Watt ACadapter

2023 Model 3 Ryzen APU | 2TB Samsung T7

Useful stuff i may mention

F@H Babysitter | F@H in the Dark | HFM Setup

2 minutes ago, piratemonkey said:

the only thing with that is I've tried, but you've never opened my PMs :(

Thought we should move the conversation here, If you PM'd me and I didn't open it, it is probable that I didn't see the message as I get MANY messages on the run-up to an event.

It is also possible that I did view it and simply forgot to reply. Either way, I'm sorry you got overlooked, I'd say I will remember next year but it's unlikely I will. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, GOTSpectrum said:

Thought we should move the conversation here, If you PM'd me and I didn't open it, it is probable that I didn't see the message as I get MANY messages on the run-up to an event.

It is also possible that I did view it and simply forgot to reply. Either way, I'm sorry you got overlooked, I'd say I will remember next year but it's unlikely I will. 

solid decision. In fairness to you, I think the time I did pm you was the covid event, and I was very new so you wouldn't have recognized me. 

I'll be sure to PM you as soon as I hear any rumblings of the event next year ;) 

and thank you again ❤️

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

Just now, piratemonkey said:

solid decision. In fairness to you, I think the time I did pm you was the covid event, and I was very new so you wouldn't have recognized me. 

I'll be sure to PM you as soon as I hear any rumblings of the event next year ;) 

and thank you again ❤️

And thank you for folding!

I'll look forward to having you on the team next year! You pay want to follow either myself, this thread or both to make sure you don't miss it! 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Event is over and my 390 decided to start digivolving into a 6800. Seems fair.Folding.PNG.2da82f49bf7cef795e3ad4ad76ee0f50.PNG

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock H97 Pro4 CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.30 Ghz Intel Xeon E3-1271v3 @4.00 Ghz RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 Mhz (9-9-9-27)

GPU: MSI 390 8Gb Gaming Edition PSU: XFX TS 650w Bronze Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w 80+ Gold MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum KEYBOARD: Monokey Standard Suave Blue

STORAGE: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250Gb // HDD WD Green 1Tb // HDD WD Blue 4Tb // HDD WD Blue 160Gb CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed OS: Windows 11 Pro x64 Bit

MONITORS: Samsung CFG7 C24FG7xFQ @144hz // Samsung SyncMaster TA350 LT23A350 @60hz Samsung Odyssey G7 COOLER: Noctua NH-D15

1 minute ago, marknd59 said:

@Den-Fihad to drop his power bill back down

It was so ridiculous that they sent someone over to do a manual reading because they thought something was broken.

1 hour ago, vsteel said:

Wow, guess folding month is really over.  I didn't realize what an affect it had on the overall team output.

image.png.38bf6b35a627b79a579831fa43e64a0a.png

The graph makes the sudden loss of the F@H Event look more dramatic than it really is. In reality, the points drop was only 12%, remember that bottom line is still 2.6 BILLION PPD, not 0.

At our current rate, we will pass curecoin in about a year and be the #1 team aside from Default team (Which most of us don't consider to be a real team)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

13 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

(Which most of us don't consider to be a real team)

THEY ARE NOT REAL!!!! 😡 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240