Folding Community Board

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

Join me in celebrating my birthday with a week of folding with more LTT prizes! 

Yargh, something got mucked up when I swapped the CPU and rebooted yesterday. My P106 is folding on OpenCL and about 100,000-150,000 PPD less than it was before! It won't start on Cuda now for some reason even when I manually set the slot to that, I think I know why but I'm not sure. When I swapped the CPU I didn't catch that the UEFUI (whatever) secure boot got set to Windows not Other OS, the Nvidia driver does NOT like that in Linux. I'm going to try uninstalling and reinstalling the nvidia driver and see if that'll do the trick. Odd that just booting up with that setting would break it but probably something got written to a config file somewhere and because Nvidia drivers are still a  bit of a mess with Linux it doesn't just fix itself. I've ran across a couple others with a similar issue in forum posts but nothing conclusive though most are Windows users that solved it with a clean install...some didn't?

Ok, delete the slot, reboot, add the slot, now it works fine. Ok cool I guess but uhhh why did you add my CPU to the folding slots? I mean I appreciate the gung-ho effort there FAH but no thanks, I don't need that right now. oh it's already got work? Oh ok fine I'll let one core fold I guess...I knew I should have put in the i5.

Just a heads up.

Anyone using the Folding@Home in the Dark browser extension should refresh the window when possible as the latest build and the related bugs it created has been patched this morning.

Cheers, continue your folding!

Hardware & Programming Enthusiast - Creator of LAR_Systems "Folding@Home in the Dark" browser extension and GPU / CPU PPD Database. 

So this is weird, now I'm getting an estimated 800,000 PPD since I rebooted and re-added the GPU slot. Was it using OpenCL instead of Cuda this whole time? Did ONE core of my i3 really make that much difference? Is FAHcontrol off it's gourd about overestimating my PPD that massively? Tune in a couple days from now to find out!

3 minutes ago, Bitter said:

So this is weird, now I'm getting an estimated 800,000 PPD since I rebooted and re-added the GPU slot. Was it using OpenCL instead of Cuda this whole time? Did ONE core of my i3 really make that much difference? Is FAHcontrol off it's gourd about overestimating my PPD that massively? Tune in a couple days from now to find out!

3 hours ago, Bitter said:

Yargh, something got mucked up when I swapped the CPU and rebooted yesterday. My P106 is folding on OpenCL and about 100,000-150,000 PPD less than it was before! It won't start on Cuda now for some reason even when I manually set the slot to that, I think I know why but I'm not sure. When I swapped the CPU I didn't catch that the UEFUI (whatever) secure boot got set to Windows not Other OS, the Nvidia driver does NOT like that in Linux. I'm going to try uninstalling and reinstalling the nvidia driver and see if that'll do the trick. Odd that just booting up with that setting would break it but probably something got written to a config file somewhere and because Nvidia drivers are still a  bit of a mess with Linux it doesn't just fix itself. I've ran across a couple others with a similar issue in forum posts but nothing conclusive though most are Windows users that solved it with a clean install...some didn't?

Ok, delete the slot, reboot, add the slot, now it works fine. Ok cool I guess but uhhh why did you add my CPU to the folding slots? I mean I appreciate the gung-ho effort there FAH but no thanks, I don't need that right now. oh it's already got work? Oh ok fine I'll let one core fold I guess...I knew I should have put in the i5.

On Linux Mint when I change the hardware physically GPU slot, card etc.   I generally have to re-install the NVidia Drivers and CUDA package to get everything working again.   I just keep the terminal commands in a text file now.

Hardware & Programming Enthusiast - Creator of LAR_Systems "Folding@Home in the Dark" browser extension and GPU / CPU PPD Database. 

4 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

probably driver settings came into effect on a reboot if anything

I had rebooted before, I think this is just an overly optimistic estimation, I was peaking at about 550K but avging just under 500K.

2 minutes ago, LAR_Systems said:

On Linux Mint when I change the hardware physically GPU slot, card etc.   I generally have to re-install the NVidia Drivers and CUDA package to get everything working again.   I just keep the terminal commands in a text file now.

Thankfully that doesn't seem to be the case here, I think the secure boot stuff (bios reset when I swapped the i3 for the Celeron) messed with the nvidia driver (I've ran into that before with this board) and for some reason deleting, rebooting, then adding the slot seems to have fixed it, it's back to using Cuda assuming it was using Cuda before as well. I thought it was, I had manually set the slot options but I never actually checked the logs to see if it was using Cuda. 800K is way too high for a P106-100 even with 80mhz overclock.

When in doubt, reboot, I guess is the lesson here! What did not work on reboot was the systemd launching glances so I need to fiddle more there and maybe use some other method to start it at boot.

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

I had rebooted before, I think this is just an overly optimistic estimation, I was peaking at about 550K but avging just under 500K.

Thankfully that doesn't seem to be the case here, I think the secure boot stuff (bios reset when I swapped the i3 for the Celeron) messed with the nvidia driver (I've ran into that before with this board) and for some reason deleting, rebooting, then adding the slot seems to have fixed it, it's back to using Cuda assuming it was using Cuda before as well. I thought it was, I had manually set the slot options but I never actually checked the logs to see if it was using Cuda. 800K is way too high for a P106-100 even with 80mhz overclock.

When in doubt, reboot, I guess is the lesson here! What did not work on reboot was the systemd launching glances so I need to fiddle more there and maybe use some other method to start it at boot.

It can hit 800k, 1mil on a rare wu.

The p106 is more less a headless 1060 so it should hover around 650k avg.  https://folding.lar.systems/folding_data/gpu_ppd_datasheet?gpu_model=gp106_geforce_gtx_1060_6gb_4372 if you look at the bottom of that page you can see some 17XXX projects give what you’re seeing on average closer to 8-900k

10 minutes ago, LAR_Systems said:

The p106 is more less a headless 1060 so it should hover around 650k avg.  https://folding.lar.systems/folding_data/gpu_ppd_datasheet?gpu_model=gp106_geforce_gtx_1060_6gb_4372 if you look at the bottom of that page you can see some 17XXX projects give what you’re seeing on average closer to 8-900k

Ah it's running a 17! Makes sense, should settle down to normal soon then.

25 minutes ago, LAR_Systems said:

I wanted to ask you a question, Why are there multiple RTX 2070 Supers?  What causes these duplicates when all the specs seem to match up?

Btw, a few months ago I finally got my 2070 super to surpass your 2060's 😎

screenshot.1603399488.jpg

Folding Stats

CPU- Ryzen 9 3900x,  GPU- NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super , Case- Corsair 680X , RAM -Corsair Vengeance RGB (x2) 16GB 3200MHz

AIO- Corsair H115i Platinum RGB Cooler,  PSU-Corsair HX750i  , MOBO- MSI X570 MEG Unify  , And (x6) Corsair LL120 fans

Corsair K95 Platinum Keyboard, Logitech G700s mouse , Samsung Curved 65" 4K TV & (x2) 32" curved Samsung Monitors (currently sitting in their boxes as I've got nowhere to put them)

FAQ: 

1. Yes, I've got the 'beetus

2. No, I'm not fat. It's Type 1, not Type 2

3. Yes, I can in fact eat sugar and not die. That's what Insulin is for. 

5 minutes ago, MISTERDIEABETIC said:

What causes these duplicates when all the specs seem to match up?

Presumably, different revisions

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

22 minutes ago, GrockleTD said:

Presumably, different revisions

This. There are sub variants for some cards in the FAH gpu list so they are tracked separately. If you compare the URL for each one on the list there will be an extra number on one which is the variant. 

So instead of swapping the RX580 I think I'll just buy this instead and pop it in the bottom slot of the H97 board I'm using for folding right now. Sound like a solid plan? I know it's a bit weaker than the 580 or the P106-100 but it's lower power. I want a 1650 but the prices are still too high, or should I wait until more budget Nvidia and AMD offerings push the 1650 prices lower? The 1650 should make PPD similar to my P106-100 but use less power. I'm bumping the 120W mark with a 90mhz OC on the core of the 106. A 1650 will not surpass 75W, the 106-90 is in the same 75W territory as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZOTAC-P106-090-3GB-GPU-COMPUTE-CARD-NEW-ETC-MINING/184485889210

I mean that's a hard to beat price. The 90 does like what, 75% what a 100 does?

Well I guess I'm not folding with the RX580, the H97M-Plus won't post with it installed. Get fans spin but no display. Also won't post with a different video card in the 2md slot either. Maybe the 2md slot is dead? It was a used board.  Bummer!

So I brought FoldyPuffSr (Vega56) online for a little while until I see if I can get the RX580 sorted out, adds about 1M PPD but eats some power and makes some heat, heat is not unwelcome right now. I'll leave it up until this weekend when I can trouble shoot. Might rebuild FPJr with the B450 board I've had laying around, just been waiting for a good price on a Ryzen CPU off an on for it, assuming the board even works. Supposedly has a bad socket but I can't see anything wrong with it.

What are the odds that both PC's get the same exact project and are both running it at the same time when set to any project? Different chunks but still, freaky!

So either every single project the P106 has been getting since fixing the Cuda thing is just a really great PPD producer or it wasn't using Cuda that whole time, it's been up around 700+K PPD. The Vega56 is doing it's usual ~1M PPD with it's mild undervolt and slight underclock for higher efficiency.

6 hours ago, Bitter said:

What are the odds that both PC's get the same exact project and are both running it at the same time when set to any project? Different chunks but still, freaky!

So either every single project the P106 has been getting since fixing the Cuda thing is just a really great PPD producer or it wasn't using Cuda that whole time, it's been up around 700+K PPD. The Vega56 is doing it's usual ~1M PPD with it's mild undervolt and slight underclock for higher efficiency.

pretty common esp if they low on wus 

My EOC F@H stats | My F@H Stats | My Real time F@H Production | My Boinc Stats

My team in point Generation order:

- Bender: Corsair CARBIDE 600C | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | Noctua NH-U14H | 1TB Toshiba SSD | EVGA XC3 Ultra 3070LHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | EVGA FTW 3070FHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 1000 Gold SSR-1000FX | 55" Samsung 120Hz 3D TV

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Scooty-Puff: Alienware M15R5 | Win 11 Pro | AMD R7-5800H | 64GB DDR4-3200 | PC711 & WD SN750 SE 1TB | 3070M | 240 Watt ACadapter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Omicron_Persei_8: Dell G5 5511 | Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS | Intel i7-11800 | 32GB DDR4-3200 | 1x512GB BC711 & 2TB Intel 660p | 3060M | 240 Watt ACadapter

- Calculon (MainTower): Fractal Design Meshify S2 White | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 3900x | 32GB DDR4-3200 TridentZ RGB | Noctua NH-D15 | 1x SN750SE | AMD 5700XT XFX Rx-57XT8OFF6 | Gigabyte X570 WiFi Pro | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750 Gold SSR-750FX | 2x Dell S3422DWG & Dell U2715H & Dell U2917W

- Leela:  Fractal Design Focus G Blue | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz | AMD Wraith cooler | Toshiba KSG60ZMV256G | EVGA 2060 KO | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 650 Gold SSR-650-FX | 

Pre ordered Framework 16 Batch 8 | Ryzen 7 7840HS DIY | Plan on getting the Crucial 64 or 96GB ram Depending on feedback | and a 2 or 4TB WD Black SN850x and 2TB SN770M | 180Watt ACadapter

Honorable Mentions:

- iZac (Server): Fractal Design Node 804 | Win 11 Pro | Ryzen 5700G | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | AMD Wraith Prism

5x1TB NVME | 2x2TB 7x4TB 1x 8TB SATA HDD | ASROCKRACK x470D4U | RM750i PSU | NO Monitor

- Fry: Dell XPS 9520 | Win 11 Pro | Intel i7-12700H | 15.6" 3840x2400 | 64 GB RAM DDR5-4800 | 2TB WD SN810 & 2TB Seagate FireCuda 530 | Nvidia 3050Ti | 130Watt ACadapter

Model 3 Ryzen APU | 2TB Samsung T7

Useful stuff i may mention

F@H Babysitter | F@H in the Dark | HFM Setup

6 hours ago, Bitter said:

What you probably almost surely experienced is that they had same project, but different PRCG.

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Case Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA  Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB

PSU Corsair HX850i  Cooling Custom EKWB loop

Display Acer Predator x34 120Hz

Well, this is happening rn

image.png.3dfd883b66075116f4b1162c5a39a516.png

image.png.accf1d83d7e4d722ee5ce82dfbf6cd6d.png

image.png.e3b94d665cb772dbe6d7aaecfa856513.png

Also the advanced control is kinda weirdly updating

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

#MuricaParrotGang

The meme thread

All of my image memes are made with GIMP.

My specs are crap but if you are interested:

Spoiler

The meme-making machine - Optiplex 780:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHz

GPU: NVidia Quadro FX 580

RAM: 2 GB

SSD: Non-existent

HDD: 1 TB

Laptop: HP 255 G7

CPU: Ryzen 5 3500U

GPU: Radeon Vega 8

RAM: 8 GB

SSD: 500 GB NVMe

Quick question 

Do you think a 520w psu will be enough for a

ryzen 3600

2070 super

1070 ti

They will be power limited to 80%

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

Be careful, limiting the power will not prevent the GPU from spiking .. and at that point can cause system restart.

43 minutes ago, shaz2sxy said:

Quick question 

Do you think a 520w psu will be enough for a

ryzen 3600

2070 super

1070 ti

They will be power limited to 80%

2070 super power draw is 215w

1070 ti power draw is 180w

That puts you at 395w just for your GPU's I'd be looking for a 750w PSU

Damn it, it was only so I could use the 1070ti for folding month lol

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

1 hour ago, Red :) said:

Well, this is happening rn

image.png.3dfd883b66075116f4b1162c5a39a516.png

image.png.accf1d83d7e4d722ee5ce82dfbf6cd6d.png

image.png.e3b94d665cb772dbe6d7aaecfa856513.png

Also the advanced control is kinda weirdly updating

Try restarting PC or only F@H, it can unstuck it, otherwise just wait.

51 minutes ago, rodarkone said:

Be careful, limiting the power will not prevent the GPU from spiking .. and at that point can cause system restart.

Well, true, but not necessarily, I have an 2080 and 2080S on some low tier 500-600W PSU and it cannot handle them at 100%PL or above, but on 90% they've been folding since beginning of event w/o problems.

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Case Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA  Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB

PSU Corsair HX850i  Cooling Custom EKWB loop

Display Acer Predator x34 120Hz

Vega56 makes some heat, closed the vent to the room and left the window open all day lol currently about 3C outside drafting cold air down onto the p106. Vega56 is up on the desk so no direct cooling. P106 was running at 50C with the fans at 2200 RPM. USUALLY I would need like 3200 fans and be at 55c. That is defeating the purpose of using the GPU heat to keep the house warm though...

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

I'll have 69M points today, nice

dam whats your load out?

1 hour ago, NetoriusNick said:

dam whats your load out?

Oh just some RX580's JK.

P106-100 for long term and Vega56 for a quick boost at the moment. I do have a RX580 but I guess the 2nd slot in my H97 board isn't working, it won't post with any AMD card I've tried in it. I'm looking to do some troubleshooting this weekend as I wanted to grab a 1650 to run along side the P106-100.

I guess I should clarify...since March I'll have 69M points!

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=925928