Folding Community Board

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

15 minutes ago, palespartan said:

Oh I didn't think about that. So it might be more of an AMD thing where it uses gpu memory instead of system memory for other work units. And this might be a dumb question but what api does it use for amd cards? (I honestly don't even remember if it uses cuda on my nvidia cards or not)

I'm not entirely sure.  Like I said, I have not touched an AMD card since the 7970.  So, I'm not quite verse on the newest cards from AMD and how those respond to F@H.

The cards tend to vary depending on the core in use by the WU.  Back in the days of core17s, AMD cards where a force to be reckon with at F@H crunching (especially under Linux).  Currently, Nvidia cards are a force to be reckon on core21s.  With core21, OpenGL and CUDA are used.  Previous cores did not leverage CUDA.  Though, some of the newer WUs seem to leverage AMD cards better than the earlier ones based on core21.

This a good overview of past cores and the current one:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Folding@home_cores

I seriously do not miss core18s.....what a headache those where when one of those bug out.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

totally unrelated but for any of you who missed the original announcement for this we will definitely need some help with this one. And thank you to @Ithanul for doing this since I know nothing about BOINC and didn't even know this was a thing until he posted it. But definitely everyone who can I will switching over to BOINC for this event and would love if the rest of you joined in since this will be more of a real competition with other teams.

@Ben Quigley @iamdarkyoshi @straight_stewie @RollinLower

Folding Community Board:

Also check out our Official Folding Month event:

1 hour ago, palespartan said:

totally unrelated but for any of you who missed the original announcement for this we will definitely need some help with this one. And thank you to @Ithanul for doing this since I know nothing about BOINC and didn't even know this was a thing until he posted it. But definitely everyone who can I will switching over to BOINC for this event and would love if the rest of you joined in since this will be more of a real competition with other teams.

@Ben Quigley @iamdarkyoshi @straight_stewie @RollinLower

I'm pretty tempted. Why? Shiny badges!

2 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I'm pretty tempted. Why? Shiny badges!

Got to have those badges.  :D

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

I got the R7 folding with the others, no idea how, not going to question it.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

14 hours ago, DragonTamer1 said:

I got the R7 folding with the others, no idea how, not going to question it.

It stopped folding again... Sometime in the middle of the night it finished what it was doing then failed all new work units.

I'm considering trading the card for another 960 or similar.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

On 5/1/2018 at 11:19 PM, RollinLower said:

@palespartan won't be able to join this one sadly :(

IMG_20180502_081920.jpg

Totally forgot about your water cooling project. Damn your cpu would have been awesome for the marathon too. But next time for sure.

Folding Community Board:

On 5/2/2018 at 10:55 AM, DragonTamer1 said:

It stopped folding again... Sometime in the middle of the night it finished what it was doing then failed all new work units.

I'm considering trading the card for another 960 or similar.

See that's smarter thinking than me who would be like well I guess I need to source a cheap system so that i can make one all amd now to have other gpus folding. lol

Folding Community Board:

Hello, I just started folding and joined the team on folding@home, saw it mentioned on the WAN show...

I have Ryzen 1700X, 32GB RAM and dual R9 290X.

8 minutes ago, Nostremitus said:

Hello, I just started folding and joined the team on folding@home, saw it mentioned on the WAN show...

I have Ryzen 1700X, 32GB RAM and dual R9 290X.

Welcome to the team! Please consider getting involved in the BOINC event that we are competing in! 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

9 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Welcome to the team! Please consider getting involved in the BOINC event that we are competing in! 

What do I need to do?

@palespartan I think you should consider renaming this to stinting like 'The folding community' 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

@palespartan I think you should consider renaming this to stinting like 'The folding community' 

Its not a bad idea then I might just edit the original post for when we have new folding events or if I'm shouting out someone else organizing something.

Folding Community Board:

Also, CONGRATULATIONS to @palespartan for hitting the 100,000,000 folding points! 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

7 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

Also, CONGRATULATIONS to @palespartan for hitting the 100,000,000 folding points! 

Ah, congrats @palespartan.

On 5/7/2018 at 9:21 AM, Ben Quigley said:

21 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Ah, congrats @palespartan.

Thanks guys! I actually didn't even know I was there yet. lol. Stoked. Now the next goal is top 10 on the team... one day...

Folding Community Board:

1 minute ago, palespartan said:

Thanks guys! I actually didn't even know I was there yet. lol. Stoked. Now the next goal is top 10 on the team... one day...

I know once after the Pent is done.  Those chaps in the top better be ready.  I will be reawaking my beast rigs to full battle ready folding power (my electric bill will hate me though).  Wish I could figure a way to make it a tax write off.

1 hour ago, Ithanul said:

I know once after the Pent is done.  Those chaps in the top better be ready.  I will be reawaking my beast rigs to full battle ready folding power (my electric bill will hate me though).  Wish I could figure a way to make it a tax write off.

Maybe we can get our folding team up a rank. That would be cool. Also for those who don't know I will be changing this thread to be more of a folding community hangout and use it to announce events (if you have an event you would like to plan you can post it here or pm me) and just chat with others if everyone likes that idea. Also assuming the mods are ok with that since I know it got pinned because it was an event in itself.

Folding Community Board:

Hi everyone

i just started folding yesterday and im excited to be part of the team

i have a Ryzen 5 2600X and a Nvidia GTX 1070

i have some questions (not sure if i am supposed to make a new post or not)

- is the stock cooler for the CPU good enough? it is not overclocked and it works fine for games but im not sure how good it is for long time folding

- are there more performance settings i can change? is it posible to only use GPU and not cpu? then i could use the pc normally and it would not have an impact on performance. is it also posible to limit the CPU usage to 75% or can you only control the amount of cores being used?

- is there a way to make profiles? so lets say only use CPU and use 75% of it when not idle. when idle use 100% cpu and GPU

i was also wondering if there is a way to monitor and/or control my pc from work? i noticed that when i installed the client on my work laptop and logged in on it, it would show my score. but it did not show how my pc was doing in real-time. it started folding on the laptop instead of controlling the PC. is it posible to control the pc from the client or should i just use RDP to control my pc at home?

i managed to find some answeres

- no stock cooler is not good enough (it was around 82 degrees celsius)

- for now i completely removed CPU and went GPU only becouse in comparison the CPU is a waste of power. maybe if the power bill ends up not too high i will add the CPU again.

monitoring can be done in the client and there is actually a guide in the FAQ thread here on LTT that i totally missed

46 minutes ago, christian1122 said:

- for now i completely removed CPU and went GPU only becouse in comparison the CPU is a waste of power. maybe if the power bill ends up not too high i will add the CPU again.

monitoring can be done in the client and there is actually a guide in the FAQ thread here on LTT that i totally missed

The wraith spire is a more than adequate cooler for that CPU my man. Either your mounting pressure is off, singing is wrong with the thermal interface material or theres an issue with your specific set up. Can you list your full system including case airflow set up.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

54 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

The wraith spire is a more than adequate cooler for that CPU my man. Either your mounting pressure is off, singing is wrong with the thermal interface material or theres an issue with your specific set up. Can you list your full system including case airflow set up.

Also, it a bit know that temp reporting programs are not fully accurate on Ryzen/TR chips.  Not sure if that been corrected yet.

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-ryzen-7-have-a-temperature-20-degree-c-reporting-offset.html

Not sure if the newer Ryzens still have to deal with that offset in temp reporting applications.

13 hours ago, christian1122 said:

Hi everyone

i just started folding yesterday and im excited to be part of the team

i have a Ryzen 5 2600X and a Nvidia GTX 1070

i have some questions (not sure if i am supposed to make a new post or not)

- is the stock cooler for the CPU good enough? it is not overclocked and it works fine for games but im not sure how good it is for long time folding

- are there more performance settings i can change? is it posible to only use GPU and not cpu? then i could use the pc normally and it would not have an impact on performance. is it also posible to limit the CPU usage to 75% or can you only control the amount of cores being used?

- is there a way to make profiles? so lets say only use CPU and use 75% of it when not idle. when idle use 100% cpu and GPU

i was also wondering if there is a way to monitor and/or control my pc from work? i noticed that when i installed the client on my work laptop and logged in on it, it would show my score. but it did not show how my pc was doing in real-time. it started folding on the laptop instead of controlling the PC. is it posible to control the pc from the client or should i just use RDP to control my pc at home?

Stock cooler should be fine but really its just a matter of keeping an eye on temps, Definitely able to tune performance (stay away form the slider with light, medium and full though) and you can tell F@H to only use a certain number of threads to fold (I don't know if its still the norm or not but I still try to leave at least one open thread for every GPU I have folding) I am sure that there are more complicated settings like when is use only using x number of threads as opposed to when not in use using all threads but I haven't messed with more complicated settings like that before personally, and as you have already learned any questions you have feel free to post them here (this thread is going to change to LTT folding team hangout soon) And most importantly WELCOME TO THE TEAM!! keep on folding.

1 hour ago, christian1122 said:

Yeah I would check what voltage its pulling under load I remember when Ryzen is left stock hearing that it would pull extra voltage on its own even more than some overclocked systems so it might actually benefit you to overclock and apply a static voltage. But I personally don't run Ryzen so I haven't tried myself. And I will admit most of the time I just fold on gpu as well but when I do my platform upgrade this summer (either Ryzen 2700x or 7820x) I will get back into CPU folding full time.

Folding Community Board:

6 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Also, it a bit know that temp reporting programs are not fully accurate on Ryzen/TR chips.  Not sure if that been corrected yet.

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-ryzen-7-have-a-temperature-20-degree-c-reporting-offset.html

Not sure if the newer Ryzens still have to deal with that offset in temp reporting applications.

I think that was only for x series chips and I think most monitoring software have changed it by now by having the adjusted temp shown on a separate line from the real temp.

Folding Community Board: