Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

17 minutes ago, vf1000ride said:

Chain and sprockets were original to the bike and were starting to show signs of age.  The sprockets didn't look too worn but I had two links in the chain that wanted to stay kinked when coming off the forward sprocket as you rolled the wheel around.  You could get them to pull straight if you worked them but it is just the first sign the o-rings had gone bad and it wasn't moving as free as it should have been.  It was just time so I don't have to deal with it in another month or two once the weather finally starts to warm up here in Ohio.

I hear that on the time. Whenever I can get a few things out of the way at the same time I will, especially if I'm having to pull fairings off. A lot of jobs are really about 10 minutes, but taking all the cladding and seats off the motorcycle and re-installing it all is more than a half hour. The Grom is cake: Air filter, oil, spark plug, valve rocker adjuster covers, brake reservoirs (at least the front) are all right at the surface level. Then again, the Grom has to be convinced quite a bit to go 60mph, so with most roads around here being highways it'll be years before it needs more than very basic maintenance.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a pressure washer over the weekend so I can use a foam canon 😂

Screenshot_20240408-165656.thumb.png.f990fbc494583c7f010e01a4b4d38328.png

PXL_20240408_202038328.thumb.jpg.8fe1f0bcf4d50b7b131683a59289bcd5.jpg

Vaporwave: 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d / Powercolor Red Devil RX 7900 XT / Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P / Kingston fury beast 32GB / WD_Black SN770 1tb / Samsung  970 evo 1tb / Corsair RM850x / Cooler Master ML360 v2 / NZXT H9 Elite / Vizio m422i-B1  / Steelseries x Destiny 2 Arctis 1/ GMMK Pro+GMMK Num Akko Lavender/ Steelseries x Destiny 2 Rival 5

New tool. Kentmore J-1D10T injector removal punch for GM direct injectors.

IMG_20240405_163243.jpg

IMG_20240405_151911.jpg

IMG_20240405_151942.jpg

I got Honda parts...... I don't even own a Honda 😂

PXL_20240409_170529243.thumb.jpg.d486554d47ad0b075d117ab1cc62bf33.jpgPXL_20240409_170506079.thumb.jpg.888c795adc6670ad1d52af3476643ed2.jpg

getting ready to do a powder coating run this weekend, hoping to get the rear calipers for my truck done too. 😎

Vaporwave: 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d / Powercolor Red Devil RX 7900 XT / Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P / Kingston fury beast 32GB / WD_Black SN770 1tb / Samsung  970 evo 1tb / Corsair RM850x / Cooler Master ML360 v2 / NZXT H9 Elite / Vizio m422i-B1  / Steelseries x Destiny 2 Arctis 1/ GMMK Pro+GMMK Num Akko Lavender/ Steelseries x Destiny 2 Rival 5

On 4/9/2024 at 11:09 PM, Vonrottes said:

PXL_20240409_170529243.thumb.jpg.d486554d47ad0b075d117ab1cc62bf33.jpgPXL_20240409_170506079.thumb.jpg.888c795adc6670ad1d52af3476643ed2.jpg

getting ready to do a powder coating run this weekend, hoping to get the rear calipers for my truck done too. 😎

Dang, what's your turn around time and where are you? I should get my timing and valve cover done while they're off. Nothing fancy just semigloss silver so they look like bare aluminum I guess or honestly black. Not picky, anything is better than corroded lol.

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

Fuck these three nuts in particular. 🤣

I'm sure it's been posted before but it's fitting timing for a re-up.

cant_be_tight_if_its_liquid_meme.jpg

I was super confused looking at the first picture; I was thinking to myself, “what the heck has a Honda J-series engine but is recoil-start?”

Then I looked more closely.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

I have some too..... Of something from the 2 wheeled variety of these (Honda's) but I got 'em!

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

7 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

I was super confused looking at the first picture; I was thinking to myself, “what the heck has a Honda J-series engine but is recoil-start?”

Then I looked more closely.

😂 Honestly forgot that lawnmower had a Honda engine on it . Oops I guess I DO have a Honda.

12 hours ago, Bitter said:

Dang, what's your turn around time and where are you? I should get my timing and valve cover done while they're off. Nothing fancy just semigloss silver so they look like bare aluminum I guess or honestly black. Not picky, anything is better than corroded lol.

Columbus Ohio.

And 🤷‍♂️ Just started this is my first run, I've just been taking my time on these doing a little bit of work every day before I leave for my actual job. Something about the size of a K series valve cover.... Honestly probably get that done... Cleaned, blasted and coated over in about a day.

_______

Started prepping brakes, going to do them in wrinkle red, thought the bright solid red would be too much on the truck.

PXL_20240410_185517627.thumb.jpg.3b3370183ecad09e8a8e88658fa0f606.jpg

Vaporwave: 

7 hours ago, Vonrottes said:

😂 Honestly forgot that lawnmower had a Honda engine on it . Oops I guess I DO have a Honda.

Columbus Ohio.

And 🤷‍♂️ Just started this is my first run, I've just been taking my time on these doing a little bit of work every day before I leave for my actual job. Something about the size of a K series valve cover.... Honestly probably get that done... Cleaned, blasted and coated over in about a day.

_______

Started prepping brakes, going to do them in wrinkle red, thought the bright solid red would be too much on the truck.

Not a K but similar enough probably. Definitely keeping you in mind. I honestly hadn't even considered it until now. I was just going to put it back together ugly as ever lol!

Do the calipers graphite gray semi gloss, they'll never look dirty lol.

So I keep a good supply of various things on the shelf in the garage. Today I learned aircraft stripper apparently does have a shelf life and will eat through the metal cans to let you know you should have already used it. 

It does mostly just scrape up off wooden shelves luckily though if you didn't realize its been leaking, and dried. 

6 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

So I keep a good supply of various things on the shelf in the garage. Today I learned aircraft stripper apparently does have a shelf life and will eat through the metal cans to let you know you should have already used it. 

It does mostly just scrape up off wooden shelves luckily though if you didn't realize its been leaking, and dried. 

I just had an almost empty but still perfectly good 10 year old can of spray paint leak on my garage shelf. It stained my wall some. Oh well,it's a garage.

57 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I just had an almost empty but still perfectly good 10 year old can of spray paint leak on my garage shelf. It stained my wall some. Oh well,it's a garage.

Yeah. I actually painted the garage a while back while my Jeep was at the painters. He was supposed to have it for a week. At week 3, I decided to move everything to the center of the garage and paint the walls. As soon as I moved everything, he called and said it was done. I told he'd have to wait a couple more days. Luckily he's done a bunch of things for me.

Spent last night finally putting the kick start kit into the super moto. Can't believe Suzuki doesn't have torque specs for most of their fasteners. I know Yamaha shop manual has a torque spec for nearly everything. Much of this manual just says tighten securely.

kickstart1.jpg

kickstart2.jpg

Hit one snag, and it's fair enough as DRZ's didn't come with O2 sensors factory. Unfortunately manufacturers don't list O2 sensor lengths either. After much scrolling, I think I've found a shorter O2 sensor. I ordered. I'll find out Wednesday if it's actually shorter. I don't need much, just a little clearance. I'd prefer not to have to move the exhaust bung.

kickstart3.jpg

Ta-da.

PXL_20240414_221753686.thumb.jpg.8a91991aca9f6742f162de2c42e9df1e.jpg

Thought about doing the calipers in the wrinkle red but..... ehhhhh thought it might just make them look like painted cast iron calipers.
so went with bright red and will do Silver reflective Brembo stickers on them... Really excited to do the front calipers since they kinda looks like crap on the truck with the faded grey whatever coating they did on the camaro calipers.

Vaporwave: 

On 4/13/2024 at 6:00 PM, OhioYJ said:

Spent last night finally putting the kick start kit into the super moto. Can't believe Suzuki doesn't have torque specs for most of their fasteners. I know Yamaha shop manual has a torque spec for nearly everything. Much of this manual just says tighten securely.

That’s weird, I can attest that Yamaha service manuals and Honda service manuals have a listed torque for almost every fastener. Is this a factory manual or a 3rd party? I have had some 3rd party manuals over the years that left a lot to be desired in the case of those torque values.

A Bentley manual for a VW I had years ago said things like, ‘adjust the bearing retainer nut until a minimal amount of play can be felt using a flat-blade screwdriver as a lever’. It would be less sketchy if that were not the instructions for the rear axle hub retainer hardware…

On the other end of the spectrum, many of the fasteners with listed torque values were torque-to-yield and single use. Go VW!

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R