Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

 

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

 

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

7 minutes ago, FakeFBI said:

japanease cars like, hmm lets see here since you got a b18c1, the spark plug replacment is $2, the belt is $0.20, the oil change $10, polish of engine $4, theres nothing to fix the these engines except when they blown 

I can rebuild the entire cooling system on my Miata for like $250 (maybe less too) 

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

"A redline a day keeps depression at bay" - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 and 2 x Seagate ST2000DM006 (in RAID 0 for games!) - The good old Corsair GS700 - Yamakasi Catleap 2703 27" 1440p and ASUS VS239H-P 1080p 23" - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

 

Avid Miata autocrosser :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, FakeFBI said:

but slight change of topic guys, are german cars reliable, this aint really apply to europe where german parts evreywhere, but here in us they cost way more, are they reliable, as i i found a 328i for $4.5k

While German cars tend to feel a lot more solid and just “high quality”,  they sure do cost a lot when stuff breaks. Also they overcomplicate things which drives up costs for both parts and labor.

 

if you DIY everything it’s usually not too bad but it can be a lot harder to do, and you may have to buy special tools to do certain things. And often what seems like a simple job on most other cars can take hours. 
 

Newer ones are better since they standardized more things. (Like my dad’s C7 Audi A6 I think is a pretty solid car, just avoid some of the extra options as they might have some of their own problems (though nothing that harms the drivability really).

 

if you do want that 328i, id heavily research and plan on immediately doing preventative maintenance on any frequently known issues whatever generation you’re looking at. So odds are you won’t have to worry about too much for a while. Look at it as part of the price of the car. It could very well be $1500 of work up front but it’s worth it. 
 

and always prioritize functionality over looks and mods. Those are luxuries. 

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

"A redline a day keeps depression at bay" - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 and 2 x Seagate ST2000DM006 (in RAID 0 for games!) - The good old Corsair GS700 - Yamakasi Catleap 2703 27" 1440p and ASUS VS239H-P 1080p 23" - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

 

Avid Miata autocrosser :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I can rebuild the entire cooling system on my Miata for like $250 (maybe less too) 

thats why tuners are tuners, it doesnt cost like $20k for a engine rebuild, 

examples

to restore a honda eh3 si in USA, condition: blown motor, missing valve cover, spark plugs, distibutor, cables with it, belt, accelator or something i forgot, 2 pistons are damaged, old oil, Flat tires, dmaged rims, basiclly done for brakes, suspension damage FR, bumper FR area dmage, FR light damage, 

lets assume that the car was in that shape because it sat in junk yard after the FR got medicor damage, slightly damaging frame( so only need minor repair) and the area body work was finished.

i say that the price would be around $5000 for all the parts, because where i live honda d16 parts are just cheap, and hondas also have cheap bodywork

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

While German cars tend to feel a lot more solid and just “high quality”,  they sure do cost a lot when stuff breaks. Also they overcomplicate things which drives up costs for both parts and labor.

 

if you DIY everything it’s usually not too bad but it can be a lot harder to do, and you may have to buy special tools to do certain things. And often what seems like a simple job on most other cars can take hours. 
 

Newer ones are better since they standardized more things. (Like my dad’s C7 Audi A6 I think is a pretty solid car, just avoid some of the extra options as they might have some of their own problems (though nothing that harms the drivability really).

 

if you do want that 328i, id heavily research and plan on immediately doing preventative maintenance on any frequently known issues whatever generation you’re looking at. So odds are you won’t have to worry about too much for a while. Look at it as part of the price of the car. It could very well be $1500 of work up front but it’s worth it. 
 

and always prioritize functionality over looks and mods. Those are luxuries. 

it says in description i selected manual because european manuals tend to actually hold up better than their auto's because manual is SO common in poland atleast.

Description, 278k miles, well maintained, the engine is clearly not been clean in years it dirty but evreything looks fien with no rust or damage, i would only get a 328xi for a drift car if i had like drift team or championship, that aint happening

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, FakeFBI said:

thats why tuners are tuners, it doesnt cost like $20k for a engine rebuild, 

examples

to restore a honda eh3 si in USA, condition: blown motor, missing valve cover, spark plugs, distibutor, cables with it, belt, accelator or something i forgot, 2 pistons are damaged, old oil, Flat tires, dmaged rims, basiclly done for brakes, suspension damage FR, bumper FR area dmage, FR light damage, 

lets assume that the car was in that shape because it sat in junk yard after the FR got medicor damage, slightly damaging frame( so only need minor repair) and the area body work was finished.

i say that the price would be around $5000 for all the parts, because where i live honda d16 parts are just cheap, and hondas also have cheap bodywork

Sounds like you blow up a lot of engines

i7 8700k 5.0ghz  / 32GB gskill tridentz / ASUS Z370-A Prime / EVGA RTX 2080 Super XC / LG 34GL750 / Logitech G513 romerg tactile / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2019 Razer Blade Stealth / 2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S21 Ultra 256GB

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, vetali said:

Sounds like you blow up a lot of engines

thats a example of what i say is a normal junk car not mine, mine is well maintained, just waiting for the damn throttle sensor to deliver

EDIT: mine is a 1998 civic ex auto

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, FakeFBI said:

thats why tuners are tuners, it doesnt cost like $20k for a engine rebuild, 

examples

to restore a honda eh3 si in USA, condition: blown motor, missing valve cover, spark plugs, distibutor, cables with it, belt, accelator or something i forgot, 2 pistons are damaged, old oil, Flat tires, dmaged rims, basiclly done for brakes, suspension damage FR, bumper FR area dmage, FR light damage, 

lets assume that the car was in that shape because it sat in junk yard after the FR got medicor damage, slightly damaging frame( so only need minor repair) and the area body work was finished.

i say that the price would be around $5000 for all the parts, because where i live honda d16 parts are just cheap, and hondas also have cheap bodywork

Financially, it doesn’t make sense to invest $5000 in a car that’s worth $2-3k though. 
 

one incident on the road like if someone crashes into you you’re money is just gone.

 

It’s just as bad if not worse as buying a new car. 

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

"A redline a day keeps depression at bay" - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 and 2 x Seagate ST2000DM006 (in RAID 0 for games!) - The good old Corsair GS700 - Yamakasi Catleap 2703 27" 1440p and ASUS VS239H-P 1080p 23" - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

 

Avid Miata autocrosser :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Financially, it doesn’t make sense to invest $5000 in a car that’s worth $2-3k though. 
 

one incident on the road like if someone crashes into you you’re money is just gone.

 

It’s just as bad if not worse as buying a new car. 

yes, but this is like a car you usually find on copart, i would only pay that much if it was some damn SiR from japan or had a b16 i can rip out

EDIT: that would make sense, if you had like a ready vtec, or ls b16 or b18 swap you want to switch into the car, if you had a LS b18 swap for example, you can just convert it to vtec, then that eh3 would make sense to buy for like $500 so you can have a nice project car, hope i can point that out

Edited by FakeFBI
Link to post
Share on other sites

oh brother i take a hiatus from this place and i come back to this.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

 

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, terrytek said:

oh brother i take a hiatus from this place and i come back to this.

are you dissapointed, 

Link to post
Share on other sites

German cars are more expensive to fix. But you fix them less. 

Keep on top of maintenance and its fine.

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, techswede said:

German cars are more expensive to fix. But you fix them less. 

Keep on top of maintenance and its fine.

ye, good point but some german models like the mercedes models hae like some plasti in tire some ac problems and also can ride rough and cost a billion dollars to get a new pair of tires. but bmw is better just because they are much higher quality, audi idk haven't really browsed forums and stuff to know about problems

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, techswede said:

German cars are more expensive to fix. But you fix them less

Keep on top of maintenance and its fine.

That may be true for the initial part of the vehicle life but as they age that certainly changes with more things going wrong more frequently.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bitter said:

That may be true for the initial part of the vehicle life but as they age that certainly changes with more things going wrong more frequently.

yes, that 4.5k bmw i was talking bout, it had 278k miles, it had a manual though, had a inline 6 atleast, but i say the series 5 v8 is better because that they got diesel version of that v8, so its like 400lb of tourqe i think for the most powerful v8

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FakeFBI said:

ye, good point but some german models like the mercedes models hae like some plasti in tire some ac problems and also can ride rough and cost a billion dollars to get a new pair of tires. but bmw is better just because they are much higher quality, audi idk haven't really browsed forums and stuff to know about problems

Not sure what you're trying to say with the "plasti" in the tyre.
Haven't heard much about AC problems in newer mercs,
They ride real well,

Its not like mercedes only lets you buy specific tyres after you bought a car from them.
BMW and Merc are equal brands. Audis are alright.
Source. Friends, Personal experience and over a decade in a mercedes owners club. 

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

That may be true for the initial part of the vehicle life but as they age that certainly changes with more things going wrong more frequently.

Well not necessarily. You can certainly have the bad luck of buying a model where there are things that will go wrong due to poor design. 
But nowadays every car is so packed full of technical garbage that you'll be screwed no matter what you get after a while.

Track record wise german cars are reliable. 90s audis had some issues. 2000s Mercs were not perfect either. Nor were 90s BMWs.

But every market had issues at some point. 
As for newer models we simply don't know yet. 

Its going to be interesting to see how Mercedes's 24v system fares and how mounting the turbos basically inside the engine will turn out in the end.

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, terrytek said:

oh brother i take a hiatus from this place and i come back to this.

Welcome back. What’s wrong? 
 

Im just glad we’re finally having some real activity here for once lol

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

"A redline a day keeps depression at bay" - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 and 2 x Seagate ST2000DM006 (in RAID 0 for games!) - The good old Corsair GS700 - Yamakasi Catleap 2703 27" 1440p and ASUS VS239H-P 1080p 23" - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

 

Avid Miata autocrosser :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

Welcome back. What’s wrong? 
 

Im just glad we’re finally having some real activity here for once lol

"For once"
I leave for five minutes and yall get past 150k replies

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, techswede said:

"For once"
I leave for five minutes and yall get past 150k replies

Wouldn’t be the car thread without being the record holder for replies. 
 

gotta keep posting! Lol

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

"A redline a day keeps depression at bay" - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 and 2 x Seagate ST2000DM006 (in RAID 0 for games!) - The good old Corsair GS700 - Yamakasi Catleap 2703 27" 1440p and ASUS VS239H-P 1080p 23" - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

 

Avid Miata autocrosser :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, techswede said:

Not sure what you're trying to say with the "plasti" in the tyre.
Haven't heard much about AC problems in newer mercs,
They ride real well,

Its not like mercedes only lets you buy specific tyres after you bought a car from them.
BMW and Merc are equal brands. Audis are alright.
Source. Friends, Personal experience and over a decade in a mercedes owners club. 

Well not necessarily. You can certainly have the bad luck of buying a model where there are things that will go wrong due to poor design. 
But nowadays every car is so packed full of technical garbage that you'll be screwed no matter what you get after a while.

Track record wise german cars are reliable. 90s audis had some issues. 2000s Mercs were not perfect either. Nor were 90s BMWs.

But every market had issues at some point. 
As for newer models we simply don't know yet. 

Its going to be interesting to see how Mercedes's 24v system fares and how mounting the turbos basically inside the engine will turn out in the end.

Both BMW and Mercedes have had nagging oil consumption, timing chain, and PCV problems for a long time now and they're all problems that crop up at moderate to high miles and tend to repeat because the replacement parts aren't really any better than what's on there. Sometimes I'll run across one in excellent condition with high miles but most of them I see (Audi, BMW, VW, Mercedes) with over 90K miles are in very poor condition if they're from the past 10 years or newer.

 

Also why do German cars always smell like a box of hot crayons when you leave them out in the sun? Disgusting!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Both BMW and Mercedes have had nagging oil consumption, timing chain, and PCV problems for a long time now and they're all problems that crop up at moderate to high miles and tend to repeat because the replacement parts aren't really any better than what's on there. Sometimes I'll run across one in excellent condition with high miles but most of them I see (Audi, BMW, VW, Mercedes) with over 90K miles are in very poor condition if they're from the past 10 years or newer.

 

Also why do German cars always smell like a box of hot crayons when you leave them out in the sun? Disgusting!

Must be the German glue 

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

"A redline a day keeps depression at bay" - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 and 2 x Seagate ST2000DM006 (in RAID 0 for games!) - The good old Corsair GS700 - Yamakasi Catleap 2703 27" 1440p and ASUS VS239H-P 1080p 23" - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

 

Avid Miata autocrosser :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Wouldn’t be the car thread without being the record holder for replies. 
 

gotta keep posting! Lol

Honestly i don't think anyone will catch up at this point 🤣

39 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Both BMW and Mercedes have had nagging oil consumption, timing chain, and PCV problems for a long time now and they're all problems that crop up at moderate to high miles and tend to repeat because the replacement parts aren't really any better than what's on there. Sometimes I'll run across one in excellent condition with high miles but most of them I see (Audi, BMW, VW, Mercedes) with over 90K miles are in very poor condition if they're from the past 10 years or newer.

 

Also why do German cars always smell like a box of hot crayons when you leave them out in the sun? Disgusting!

Haven't heard much about issues like that. But i'll look into it.

Edit. So i've returned.
Oil consumption is most likely due to the PCV clogging/failing around 60k. on mercs at least. Still not the end of the world.
M272 and 273 engines do seem to have timing chain issues. defective balance shafts in the former. Poor tensioners in the latter. So avoid those

 

Also haven't experienced the crayon smell. But i've heard about it a couple of times. My guess is that its some kind of treatment on some interior component.

Edit 2. Seems like there is a thermoplastic coating on the insulation that can give off a crayon like smell when heated

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, techswede said:

But nowadays every car is so packed full of technical garbage that you'll be screwed no matter what you get after a while.

 

This. Don't forget to fill up your AdBlue tanks and to replace your particulate filters, kids.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

 

This. Don't forget to fill up your AdBlue tanks and to replace your particulate filters, kids.

You're what and what? We don't burn oil here except in big trucks with nearly unregulated emissions or redneck pickup trucks. Our cars are gasoline thanks to GM in the 80's ruining the reputation of diesel for decades to come by taking a regular gas V8 and making it just barely able to function as a diesel engine for a brief period of time that sometimes extended past warranty but often did not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmobile_Diesel_engine

Quote

The California Air Resources Board (CARB) had been unable to certify the diesel V8 for sale in the state in 1979 and early 1980, as the test cars issued to CARB broke down before the tests could be completed. Of the nine cars supplied to CARB, all suffered engine problems and seven had transmission failures.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Bitter said:

You're what and what? We don't burn oil here except in big trucks with nearly unregulated emissions or redneck pickup trucks. Our cars are gasoline thanks to GM in the 80's ruining the reputation of diesel for decades to come by taking a regular gas V8 and making it just barely able to function as a diesel engine for a brief period of time that sometimes extended past warranty but often did not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmobile_Diesel_engine

 

That said I like the ~3 ish liter turbo diesels they are putting in some pickup trucks and such now. I think that’s a great idea. Fits the vehicle perfectly 

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

"A redline a day keeps depression at bay" - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 and 2 x Seagate ST2000DM006 (in RAID 0 for games!) - The good old Corsair GS700 - Yamakasi Catleap 2703 27" 1440p and ASUS VS239H-P 1080p 23" - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

 

Avid Miata autocrosser :D

Link to post
Share on other sites

is back, my conclusion on german cars

expensive buy, expensive fix, expensive german shit tech that literally don't fucking need even for a luxury 540i or something

they are still cool cars if you maintain them, but if your some guy in your early 20's avoid the car, it is money you don't have that yet depending on your job, i don't think people have 50k a year jobs yet, so it makes sense if your some car enthusiast, get a honda civic, mazdaspeed, any other cheap reliable tuner car, (wish could say miata but appreciation killed prices) 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×