Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

@vetali any ideas?

I did an oil change on a rebuilt motor that had ran for maybe 15 miles. Was like water coming out.

2k is way too soon to be doing an oil change anyway.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

What's your current ride?

Right now I drive a (I think 2014) Kia Forte. Just for school and stuff, it's actually my older sister's car who is currently out of state for a few years. My car that I'm trying to find time to finish restoring is a 1973 Fiat 124 Spider, otherwise known as the Pininfarina Spider.

My mom drives a 2013 Kia Sorento, my dad drives a 2008 F-150. We like Kia and Ford :)

Not bad. I'm trying to find the cash to get a 1996 to 2002 Suburban to have as another rig. I'm picky and don't want any rust.

Nice :D

I really want something 4WD, probably an old WRX or Legacy or something I can take off road and go hunting and what not. Don't really want a truck or SUV though, everyone and their dog in my area has one, plus I like rally a lot. :)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oI8o9f2Co6pAheGhj3nPXdcUGn_eSjfGaMj9cL4s7U0/edit?usp=sharing

Did the math on the Outback 3.6R vs the Passat Alltrack. Am I missing anything apart from depreciation?

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

This is about what I want my suburban to look like. I'll be stepping up one size in tire (dunno what size yet but Imma do what I did with my s10, just go one size up from stock)

attachicon.gif2002.jpg

Bigger wheels and thicker tyres or bigger wheels and thinner tyres?

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Stock wheels, I think they're 16x7 and 265 70 16. I'd like to go to 275 70 16 or something like that.

Oh sorry read that wrong. Sounds good if you're getting better rubber, but if you're just getting a wider version of the same tyre it won't make much difference IMO.

I did a 2k change in my s10 just because it was convient to do at the time the time before last.

High miles it doesn't matter. When the engine is "newer" it does.

I quote newer because new cars come from the factory broke in, however few companies disclose how/how long (especially Honda who keeps it secret).

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

I did an oil change on a rebuilt motor that had ran for maybe 15 miles. Was like water coming out.

2k is way too soon to be doing an oil change anyway.

Yes 2k is short but he wanted to do it because the oil was so thin it was beginning to scare him. (He did note it was getting noticeably thinner every time he checked it)

Could it perhaps be from all the heat from his lead foot? I mean he's literally almost gone through half a set of tires since he bought the car haha, he's been absolutely tearing it up, that engine has gone through waaaay more revolutions than the average person would put on it in that amount of time, and the heat from the turbo I'm sure didn't help.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Looks alright to me. The first photo contains air bubbles, those aren't metal bits. Oil turns that dark way before 4,000 miles. And you should change the oil every 3,000 miles, especially since the car is new. If there are any metal bits, it's just the engine break in process. And don't use full synthetic oil, it's not good and leaves a film on the insides. I use either synthetic blend or pure conventional. Saves on cost too.

And, I'm assuming it's 5W-20 or 0W-20 since most cars today use that, so it's normally a water like consistency. Motor oil in lawn mowers and stuff is much thicker so I'm assuming you work with it a lot if you're not used to that kind of oil.

Was it still warm or was the oil back to room temp?

And 5W-20 or 0W-20 is normally that thin. The car could use even thinner oil like 0W-10 and that stuff is basically water (in viscosity xD).

Not really. Builds up over time, costs more, etc. That's why you always put full conventional in high mileage cars, since that film wears away stuff that's already worn out even more.

Dang, I've been missing all this oil talk. :P

Full synthetic doesn't leave any "film" not sure what you mean by that. 

Here's the main difference between conventional oil and full synthetic: 

Conventional oil is made up of molecules of varying sizes, larger and smaller, which effects how it flows and how easily it flows through tighter tolerances. The bond between the molecules are more vulnerable to thermal and mechanical break down much quicker than synthetic. Conventional oil is also more effected by extreme temperatures - the colder, the thicker it gets. Even if you get conventional oil at a weight for colder weather, it will still be not as good as a synthetic oil of the same weight in those cold temps.

Synthetic oil is made up of molecules that are a much more consistent size - all smaller than that of conventional oil.  This is partly what allows synthetic to flow much more easily and effectively through tighter tolerances. The bonds between the molecules in synthetic oil are also much more resistant to thermal and mechanical breakdown - 2x or more resistant. Synthetic oils also have a much wider operating temperature range and will flow much better at colder temps.

Because of the benefits of synthetic oils, you can run it for much longer (10,000kms/6200miles +) between oil changes and doing so is perfectly safe. Modern oils are far better than they used to be when the old "change it every 3000miles" was actually necessary back in the day. Even modern conventional oils are much better. 

For modern advanced engines, I can't recommend full synthetic enough. It is what the engine was designed to run on and is a requirement for proper lubrication with how tight the tolerances are in these engines. Conventional oil will work, but will break down far quicker than synthetic. Yeah, it's more expensive, but you only have to change it half as often. You can easily find the weight of oil you need on sale somewhere for not much more than the cost of conventional oil. IMO, there's no excuse if you have a fairly new car, regardless of mileage. I;m running full synthetic in my '01 Golf 1.8T with almost 300k kms on it. The oil isn't leaking or going anywhere. In fact I wouldn't put anything else in my engine, primarily because it's turbocharged and that will put an increased thermal stress on the oil (turbo's get damn hot, lol ;) ).

@bcredeur97 - DO NOT put anything in your friend's 2.3T except full synthetic. At the very least a blend. But honestly, there is really no reason to use a blend on a modern high performance engine like this one. Should be full synthetic, always. ;) (especially considering that your friend is adding more power and drives it aggressively). 

If you have an older car (10+ years old) with high mileage, that is maybe burning oil a bit or has some leaky seals, yeah, throw conventional oil in it because A: it's just going to get burnt or leak out and B: the characteristic of conventional oil containing larger molecules and lower ability to flow through tighter "gaps", means it will leak less than if you put synthetic in it. 

So yeah, it depends on the age and type of vehicle/engine itself, not just the mileage. 

The most important thing above all is this; change your oil at regular intervals, regardless of what you put in it and your engine should run strong for a very long time. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Yes 2k is short but he wanted to do it because the oil was so thin it was beginning to scare him. (He did note it was getting noticeably thinner every time he checked it)

Could it perhaps be from all the heat from his lead foot? I mean he's literally almost gone through half a set of tires since he bought the car haha, he's been absolutely tearing it up, that engine has gone through waaaay more revolutions than the average person would put on it in that amount of time, and the heat from the turbo I'm sure didn't help.

Yes, totally. If you beat on it, the oil will breakdown faster. ;)  All the more reason he should use full synthetic. 2k is still pretty early to change it and just by looking at those pics, it looked like it still had plenty of life left. Synthetic is pretty tough stuff. ;) Still, the harder you are on the engine, the harder it is on the oil. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Dang, I've been missing all this oil talk. :P

Full synthetic doesn't leave any "film" not sure what you mean by that. 

Here's the main difference between conventional oil and full synthetic: 

Conventional oil is made up of molecules of varying sizes, larger and smaller, which effects how it flows and how easily it flows through tighter tolerances. The bond between the molecules are more vulnerable to thermal and mechanical break down much quicker than synthetic. Conventional oil is also more effected by extreme temperatures - the colder, the thicker it gets. Even if you get conventional oil at a weight for colder weather, it will still be not as good as a synthetic oil of the same weight in those cold temps.

Synthetic oil is made up of molecules that are a much more consistent size - all smaller than that of conventional oil.  This is partly what allows synthetic to flow much more easily and effectively through tighter tolerances. The bonds between the molecules in synthetic oil are also much more resistant to thermal and mechanical breakdown - 2x or more resistant. Synthetic oils also have a much wider operating temperature range and will flow much better at colder temps.

Because of the benefits of synthetic oils, you can run it for much longer (10,000kms/6200miles +) between oil changes and doing so is perfectly safe. Modern oils are far better than they used to be when the old "change it every 3000miles" was actually necessary back in the day. Even modern conventional oils are much better. 

For modern advanced engines, I can't recommend full synthetic enough. It is what the engine was designed to run on and is a requirement for proper lubrication with how tight the tolerances are in these engines. Conventional oil will work, but will break down far quicker than synthetic. Yeah, it's more expensive, but you only have to change it half as often. You can easily find the weight of oil you need on sale somewhere for not much more than the cost of conventional oil. IMO, there's no excuse if you have a fairly new car, regardless of mileage. I;m running full synthetic in my '01 Golf 1.8T with almost 300k kms on it. The oil isn't leaking or going anywhere. In fact I wouldn't put anything else in my engine, primarily because it's turbocharged and that will put an increased thermal stress on the oil (turbo's get damn hot, lol ;) ).

@bcredeur97 - DO NOT put anything in your friend's 2.3T except full synthetic. At the very least a blend. But honestly, there is really no reason to use a blend on a modern high performance engine like this one. Should be full synthetic, always. ;) (especially considering that your friend is adding more power and drives it aggressively). 

If you have an older car (10+ years old) with high mileage, that is maybe burning oil a bit or has some leaky seals, yeah, throw conventional oil in it because A: it's just going to get burnt or leak out and B: the characteristic of conventional oil containing larger molecules and lower ability to flow through tighter "gaps", means it will leak less than if you put synthetic in it. 

So yeah, it depends on the age and type of vehicle/engine itself, not just the mileage. 

The most important thing above all is this; change your oil at regular intervals, regardless of what you put in it and your engine should run strong for a very long time. 

There is a drawback to synthetic though, despite all of it's advantages.

Sure the synth stuff is a lot 'slicker' and lets components move smoother, but it sort of amplifies the effects of a leakage. If you have a high mileage car, or a car with a slow leak, it's not really a good idea to use full synth, because the leak will get worse with continued use or the slight wear will accelerate into much quicker wear. You can also have blow-by, which we all know is not good for an engine.

But yes, any new car or lower mileage car should use synthetic, but if it's an older car with high mileage, a synthetic blend or straight conventional is a better choice. We just tend to use synthetic blend no matter what since it's cheaper and offers the best of both worlds (to a certain degree), and conventional on my dad's F-150 and my Pininfarina since they tend to leak more and the fact that my car is 30+ years old.

I wouldn't even call 150k high milage. Above 300K maybe.

You can still use synth blend at that point. Like I said we use synth blend on all of our cars unless it's a special case like my dad's F-150 or my Pininfarina. Even my mom's car that has 40K on it uses a synth blend every time we change the oil.

Basically you can use whatever you want, just as long as you change the oil every interval.

I use dino oil in my car. Its a commuter and I don't like leaks. My dad is big on synthetic stuff, all his cars puke oil all over the place. Annoying, especially when you have to pull the engine to do an oil pan.

There is a drawback to synthetic though, despite all of it's advantages.

Sure the synth stuff is a lot 'slicker' and lets components move smoother, but it sort of amplifies the effects of a leakage. If you have a high mileage car, or a car with a slow leak, it's not really a good idea to use full synth, because the leak will get worse with continued use or the slight wear will accelerate into much quicker wear. You can also have blow-by, which we all know is not good for an engine.

But yes, any new car or lower mileage car should use synthetic, but if it's an older car with high mileage, a synthetic blend or straight conventional is a better choice. We just tend to use synthetic blend no matter what since it's cheaper and offers the best of both worlds (to a certain degree), and conventional on my dad's F-150 and my Pininfarina since they tend to leak more and the fact that my car is 30+ years old.

That can be considered a drawback to synthetic, but only in those circumstances. And that is a fault of the condition of the engine. The oil itself, carries only benefits over conventional and this is not a problem for pretty much any engine that is in better condition. 

What I've done in the past with running synthetic in "leaky" high mileage engines (my wife's old 94 Accord wagon with almost 500k kms) is add about 1/2L of Lukas heavy duty oil stabilizer.

075520007.jpg

This stuff is amazing. Significantly helps reduce leaks and burn-off in old tired engines running synthetic. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

That can be considered a drawback to synthetic, but only in those circumstances. And that is a fault of the condition of the engine. The oil itself, carries only benefits over conventional and this is not a problem for pretty much any engine that is in better condition. 

What I've done in the past with running synthetic in "leaky" high mileage engines (my wife's old 94 Accord wagon with almost 500k kms) is add about 1/2L of Lukas heavy duty oil stabilizer.

This stuff is amazing. Significantly helps reduce leaks and burn-off in old tired engines running synthetic. ;)

I'll give it a try, think I might have some actually. :)

Thanks!

@MEC-777 we used a full synthetic, also 5w-40 instead of 5w-30. So it should be ok. Thanks for clearing that up.

Speaking of oil I run the valvoline high mileage syn blend in my Corolla. I burn oil (like all other early 1ZZ's stupid Toyota engineers putting 4 super tiny drain holes in the Pistons...) so I usually get this. I want to try some 5w-40 in it though, maybe even a 0w-40 as I don't like the way it runs on a cold start. Also I don't care as much about price because I can't get the valvoline for $16/5 quarts anymore :( and I can get Mobil 1/Castrol full syn for $25ish and the valvoline is like $20 now. But that's an experiment for another day. It burns oil (gets consistently worse the higher rpm you go) so the 40 weight might burn a little less than a 30 weight I'm figuring. Something like a 5w-50 would probably be perfect but I don't think that exists in a cheap, easy to find form.

I would get that Lucas stuff you recommend but it's far from cheap...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I'll give it a try, think I might have some actually. :)

Thanks!

No prob. It looks like really thick stuff, but don't let that scare you. It mainly helps maintain better bonding between the molecules. 

If you have a really "leaky" old tired engine, you can also add this to conventional oil as well. Will help it last longer and possibly also reduce some of the blow by, burn off, leaking and seeping through the seals and gaskets.

My wife's accord with 500k kms also had some rod knock which that stuff actually reduced significantly. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

@MEC-777 we used a full synthetic, also 5w-40 instead of 5w-30. So it should be ok. Thanks for clearing that up.

Speaking of oil I run the valvoline high mileage syn blend in my Corolla. I burn oil (like all other early 1ZZ's stupid Toyota engineers putting 4 super tiny drain holes in the Pistons...) so I usually get this. I want to try some 5w-40 in it though, maybe even a 0w-40 as I don't like the way it runs on a cold start. Also I don't care as much about price because I can't get the valvoline for $16/5 quarts anymore :( and I can get Mobil 1/Castrol full syn for $25ish and the valvoline is like $20 now. But that's an experiment for another day. It burns oil (gets consistently worse the higher rpm you go) so the 40 weight might burn a little less than a 30 weight I'm figuring. Something like a 5w-50 would probably be perfect but I don't think that exists in a cheap, easy to find form.

I would get that Lucas stuff you recommend but it's far from cheap...

Yeah, just run a thicker oil. Won't hurt anything. Can try adding that Lukas stuff I posted a little earlier, it might help. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

I use dino oil in my car. Its a commuter and I don't like leaks. My dad is big on synthetic stuff, all his cars puke oil all over the place. Annoying, especially when you have to pull the engine to do an oil pan.

apparently an e39 m5 is very picky on what kind of oil it uses. they recommend Mobil 1 or castrol 10w60 oil, though I can't find any at a local Walmart and the stuff I find in eBay is liquimoly oil. although I heard some e39 m5 owners did get away with using 5w30 oil. good idea or not?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Why not just get some from a BMW dealer?

feel pretty iffy about dealers. i feel like 90% of the time they're ripping me off.so I'd rather buy bulk from amazon or eBay or something. is liqui moly a good brand

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

If it's still a bit warm then it's normal for it to be a lot thinner. Even just a little makes it thin a lot. And I'm almost positive it's 5W-20, pretty much all cars use that nowadays. Even at 2,000 miles the oil gets that dark btw.

Go ahead and disagree with me, that's just what I put in my cars, seems to work great. My dad knows quite a bit, I follow along.

Edit: Oh, if you put in conventional oil, not sure if you said whether the oil coming out was synthetic or conventional, but conventional does darken a lot quicker than synthetic.

EcoBoost Mustang uses specifically 5w-30.

ooh shit. i've been putting full synthetic in our 250k protege. 

It won't die. We've been using fully synthetic in our Mustang since we got it and that thing has taken more abuse than most cars, no problems with the oil yet.

apparently an e39 m5 is very picky on what kind of oil it uses. they recommend Mobil 1 or castrol 10w60 oil, though I can't find any at a local Walmart and the stuff I find in eBay is liquimoly oil. although I heard some e39 m5 owners did get away with using 5w30 oil. good idea or not?

There are check valves in the heads that are designed to work with a certain weight oil, some say Mobil 1 is iffy Too but that's what I use. Remember Rod bearings are almost a consumable in the S62 so good lubrication is imperative...

Pete

Running 0w40 in the Golf right now. VW recommends 5w40.  You don't have to use the exact OEM recommended oil, but it's a good idea, especially if the vehicle is still under warranty. Anything happens to the engine, they can't say you used the wrong type of oil. ;) 

Out side of warranty, go nuts. Check vehicle specific forums as people sometimes find other weights of oil that work better than the factory recommendations. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler