Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 100k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

 

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

 

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

 

On 9/21/2019 at 12:56 PM, Bitter said:

Not all states have inspections. Il only cares about emissions, pretty sure MN is similar as well.

MN doesn’t even do emissions testing. Only raising gas taxes for us.

I drive a Honda, but i'm a Toyota boy at heart.

I use Apple products, and I like it.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-2820QM GPU: Intel HD3000/Radeon HD6750M RAM: 12GB(4GB Crucial, 8GB PNY) MOBO: Apple A1286 PSU: Apple MagSafe MONITOR: 1680x1050 CHASSIS: MacBook Pro 15 (Early 2011) A1286

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FuzzyYellow said:

 

MN doesn’t even do emissions testing. Only raising gas taxes for us.

That makes sense, there's a guy around the Twin Cities with an AWD turbo V6 2000ish Eclipse that's absolutely batshit and hauls ass like a super-car. 500something AWHP and torque to match.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FuzzyYellow said:

 

MN doesn’t even do emissions testing. Only raising gas taxes for us.

We have no nature of inspection whatsoever here in Indiana, or in Michigan

CPU: i7 4790K Motherboard - MSI Z97 G55 SLI RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport 16 GB GPU - Sapphire R9 380 Nitro 4GB Case - NZXT H2 (White) Storage - 120 GB Kingston SSDnow,2x 1TB WD Blue PSU - Corsair CX750M Cooling - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 Keyboard Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Logitech G502

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

We have no nature of inspection whatsoever here in Indiana, or in Michigan

NW Indiana does have some emissions testing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bitter said:

NW Indiana does have some emissions testing.

That's a handful of counties

CPU: i7 4790K Motherboard - MSI Z97 G55 SLI RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport 16 GB GPU - Sapphire R9 380 Nitro 4GB Case - NZXT H2 (White) Storage - 120 GB Kingston SSDnow,2x 1TB WD Blue PSU - Corsair CX750M Cooling - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 Keyboard Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Logitech G502

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

That's a handful of counties

What’s a county? /s

 

Sorry I’m from Louisiana, had to xD 

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

"A redline a day keeps depression at bay" - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 and 2 x Seagate ST2000DM006 (in RAID 0 for games!) - The good old Corsair GS700 - Yamakasi Catleap 2703 27" 1440p and ASUS VS239H-P 1080p 23" - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

 

Avid Miata autocrosser :D

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ngl I'd love this 

FB_IMG_1569265824408.jpg

FB_IMG_1569265828179.jpg

Screenshot_20190923-201234_Facebook.jpg

Needs money for car parts :P

 

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

 

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

 

  • Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had an American E36 328i manual as my second car. First was a 1993 BMW 525i, E34 chassis if I remember correctly. Anyways the e36 was an amazing car. Often think of getting another. Very momentum driven car even with the 2.8l straight 6 I had but a fun car none the less. Miss the straight 6 guttural scream through the rpm. Would have been fun to do a lightweight flywheel to get it to spin up faster. Sounded amazing with the magnaflow exhaust I put on it. Even made a vid. 

My First (Current) Build:

Ryzen 7 2700 (3.90 1.35v OC) | Asus Prime X470 Pro | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16gb 3200 | Inland Professional 512gb M.2 NVME | Samsung 860 Evo Sata M.2 1TB | Corsair H115i Platinum | Corsair ML 140 RGB Fans | Fractal Design Meshify C | EVGA RTX 2070 XC Ultra

 

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 13t Gem Cut (i7 8565u, 240gb, 8gb mem)

 

My Ride:

2015 VW Golf TDI Sportwagen

Eventually an XJ manual...

Link to post
Share on other sites

so uh there's a Chevy Dealer's Bargain lot near my work so I walked over there this morning and saw a pretty decent 2003 Saab 9-3 Sport Sedan.

One owner, no accidents 

 

96,006 miles for $3,480.

 

Spoiler

730C695F-67FF-4D3B-99A6-75C6C80D4EB8.thumb.jpeg.7051a0185e399663458842f6fea60bc5.jpeg

Spoiler

6CCDBC10-ABBC-4D80-8A47-9C8DC364EA5C.thumb.jpeg.bbbfa68df57557a12f4cc764e3dec3d4.jpeg

Spoiler

AD98857B-0214-4EA2-B828-8ADA3A351BE3.thumb.jpeg.a6d71fe107cb3f485dd2ef7c9f6cd5a5.jpeg

Spoiler

My face is funny in this one 8102B4E5-74DF-415D-8326-925CFE5DA39D.thumb.jpeg.539e73fe8047342d43edce569d9032f7.jpeg

Spoiler

430666E9-BED6-4734-B056-1ABBF5F20C06.thumb.jpeg.5b537ead17f21f03cf2958f1221b3e56.jpeg

 

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization
 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Even though it's GM Saab it's still built like a tank. As long as you don't mind it leaking something all the time it should last fairly well as long as you keep it full of fluids. Be aware that it's got a literal labyrinth of hoses under the hood for oil, coolant, p/s, etc so it's not very user friendly to work on past basic stuff like spark plugs. I don't know if the Saab version of the Eco-tec engine had timing chain issues or not or if 03 was past those problems. We had a customer with that drivetrain in a wagon and they just constantly abused the car, I think it's still going. Like one oil change a year, almost  no oil, running it out of random fluids, over heating it, etc. Kept on going. What a shitbox but it ran.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Even though it's GM Saab it's still built like a tank. As long as you don't mind it leaking something all the time it should last fairly well as long as you keep it full of fluids. Be aware that it's got a literal labyrinth of hoses under the hood for oil, coolant, p/s, etc so it's not very user friendly to work on past basic stuff like spark plugs. I don't know if the Saab version of the Eco-tec engine had timing chain issues or not or if 03 was past those problems. We had a customer with that drivetrain in a wagon and they just constantly abused the car, I think it's still going. Like one oil change a year, almost  no oil, running it out of random fluids, over heating it, etc. Kept on going. What a shitbox but it ran.

well that's my concern lol

 

that if there are leaks, where are they and how bad they are.

 

I figure it's a 16 year old car so there's bound to be leaks, however the extent I'm not so sure.

 

the trunk has issues opening and makes a noise in motion from the springs but that seems normal?

the glovebox someone broke and there's a piece of interior trim on the passenger side next to key hole thing (CIM?) that's loose

and yeah that one pic I uploaded I saw the mess of hoses

730C695F-67FF-4D3B-99A6-75C6C80D4EB8.jpeg

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization
 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

well that's my concern lol

 

that if there are leaks, where are they and how bad they are.

 

I figure it's a 16 year old car so there's bound to be leaks, however the extent I'm not so sure.

 

the trunk has issues opening and makes a noise in motion from the springs but that seems normal?

the glovebox someone broke and there's a piece of interior trim on the passenger side next to key hole thing (CIM?) that's loose

and yeah that one pic I uploaded I saw the mess of hoses

-snip-

michelin tires means someone took care of it prob.

I only say that though because they usually cost more than what most ppl buy.

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

"A redline a day keeps depression at bay" - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 and 2 x Seagate ST2000DM006 (in RAID 0 for games!) - The good old Corsair GS700 - Yamakasi Catleap 2703 27" 1440p and ASUS VS239H-P 1080p 23" - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

 

Avid Miata autocrosser :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

michelin tires means someone took care of it prob.

I only say that though because they usually cost more than what most ppl buy.

I was kinda surprised to see Michelin lol

but yeah that's good to know that's a good sign lol

 

it's one owner so and yeah under 100k miles

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization
 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Without seeing it I'd venture a guess that the Saab is a more solid car than the Tribute, just being lower miles. Also Saab owners are weirdos so more likely it was somewhat taken care of.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Saab owners are weirdos

I knew Saab was the car for me!

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

 

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

so uh there's a Chevy Dealer's Bargain lot near my work so I walked over there this morning and saw a pretty decent 2003 Saab 9-3 Sport Sedan.

One owner, no accidents 

 

96,006 miles for $3,480.

 

  Hide contents

 

  Hide contents

 

  Hide contents

 

  Hide contents

My face is funny in this one 

  Hide contents

 

 

Seems to be the twin to my 05 Arc, mine has about 80K on it and has been rock solid other than some typical maintenance stuff. That's a solid deal as well for a Big T model

(2.0t had a smaller turbo, 2.0T had a bigger turbo)

 

The gas gauge on these cars tend to be a bit finicky, mine reads empty until I burn between 1/16 or 1/8 of a tank

 

These cars tend to let water in every now and then from the cabin air filter, either get a new gasket, or a bit of sealer on the surface and that takes care of it perfectly.

 

The radio you better love (The headunit that is) because it's connected with fiber optics and is nearly impossible to replace outright with an aftermarket unit, if you wanted an aftermarket one people take out the CD player and wire up a headunit in that location. 

 

Other than those minor issues (Which can be taken care of in an afternoon) it's an absolutely phenomenal car, especially for the price they go for

 

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

Even though it's GM Saab it's still built like a tank. As long as you don't mind it leaking something all the time it should last fairly well as long as you keep it full of fluids. Be aware that it's got a literal labyrinth of hoses under the hood for oil, coolant, p/s, etc so it's not very user friendly to work on past basic stuff like spark plugs. I don't know if the Saab version of the Eco-tec engine had timing chain issues or not or if 03 was past those problems. We had a customer with that drivetrain in a wagon and they just constantly abused the car, I think it's still going. Like one oil change a year, almost  no oil, running it out of random fluids, over heating it, etc. Kept on going. What a shitbox but it ran.

Mine has never had a leak of any nature, 05 with 80K on it. Only issues I've had are typical maintenance things

58382593_282976595984999_8473208208507273216_n.thumb.jpg.b9c76bec5d576c7f0a2ec8138c89fe62.jpg

828241200_37765314_2063452727059641_1110758914468610048_o(1).thumb.jpg.b71658a7ae5f1c3f8b1c1c754d156fb3.jpg

CPU: i7 4790K Motherboard - MSI Z97 G55 SLI RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport 16 GB GPU - Sapphire R9 380 Nitro 4GB Case - NZXT H2 (White) Storage - 120 GB Kingston SSDnow,2x 1TB WD Blue PSU - Corsair CX750M Cooling - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 Keyboard Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Logitech G502

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Without seeing it I'd venture a guess that the Saab is a more solid car than the Tribute, just being lower miles. Also Saab owners are weirdos so more likely it was somewhat taken care of.

I've only had 3 so far. But I do love them dearly, always on the hunt for another one, or a few more ?

CPU: i7 4790K Motherboard - MSI Z97 G55 SLI RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport 16 GB GPU - Sapphire R9 380 Nitro 4GB Case - NZXT H2 (White) Storage - 120 GB Kingston SSDnow,2x 1TB WD Blue PSU - Corsair CX750M Cooling - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 Keyboard Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Logitech G502

Link to post
Share on other sites

Me and my father got an offer to buy a ford model t 1911, a once in a lifetime offer that we accepted. 

 

My father's 1914 (left) model t and my and my father's 1911 model t (right)

sketch-1569302117693.thumb.png.4101b7ba2cda65f205ac51f6708fc8fc.png

 

sketch-1569302108758.thumb.png.d69c87485a397e39e8bef30d5886dab7.png

 

There is some restoration to be done on the 1911 which is going to be fixed during the winter. 

CPU: r7 2700x;  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 ti sli; RAM: 16GB DDR4; MoBo: ASUS CH VII HERO x470; PSU: Seasonic Prime 850 Titanium; Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 PRO; SSD: Kingston 120 GB; HDD: 1x 500 GB 1x 2TB 1x 3TB;

 

My Anime List 300+ completed

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2019 at 5:26 PM, chaozbandit said:

Hows the weather down there

 

 

lmao

 

@warmmilk @bcredeur97

I saw that on his stories, that rain was nuts!

 

also Jackie totaled his BMW Supra... :( 

Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | 4770k 4.6GHz | Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866 16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

Seems to be the twin to my 05 Arc, mine has about 80K on it and has been rock solid other than some typical maintenance stuff. That's a solid deal as well for a Big T model

(2.0t had a smaller turbo, 2.0T had a bigger turbo)

 

The gas gauge on these cars tend to be a bit finicky, mine reads empty until I burn between 1/16 or 1/8 of a tank

 

These cars tend to let water in every now and then from the cabin air filter, either get a new gasket, or a bit of sealer on the surface and that takes care of it perfectly.

 

The radio you better love (The headunit that is) because it's connected with fiber optics and is nearly impossible to replace outright with an aftermarket unit, if you wanted an aftermarket one people take out the CD player and wire up a headunit in that location. 

 

Other than those minor issues (Which can be taken care of in an afternoon) it's an absolutely phenomenal car, especially for the price they go for

 

Mine has never had a leak of any nature, 05 with 80K on it. Only issues I've had are typical maintenance things

58382593_282976595984999_8473208208507273216_n.thumb.jpg.b9c76bec5d576c7f0a2ec8138c89fe62.jpg

828241200_37765314_2063452727059641_1110758914468610048_o(1).thumb.jpg.b71658a7ae5f1c3f8b1c1c754d156fb3.jpg

A bit of update to the price too, $2700 now. That’s kinda irresistible lol

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization
 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

so uh there's a Chevy Dealer's Bargain lot near my work so I walked over there this morning and saw a pretty decent 2003 Saab 9-3 Sport Sedan.

One owner, no accidents 

 

96,006 miles for $3,480.

 

  Hide contents

730C695F-67FF-4D3B-99A6-75C6C80D4EB8.thumb.jpeg.7051a0185e399663458842f6fea60bc5.jpeg

  Hide contents

6CCDBC10-ABBC-4D80-8A47-9C8DC364EA5C.thumb.jpeg.bbbfa68df57557a12f4cc764e3dec3d4.jpeg

  Hide contents

AD98857B-0214-4EA2-B828-8ADA3A351BE3.thumb.jpeg.a6d71fe107cb3f485dd2ef7c9f6cd5a5.jpeg

  Hide contents

My face is funny in this one 8102B4E5-74DF-415D-8326-925CFE5DA39D.thumb.jpeg.539e73fe8047342d43edce569d9032f7.jpeg

  Hide contents

430666E9-BED6-4734-B056-1ABBF5F20C06.thumb.jpeg.5b537ead17f21f03cf2958f1221b3e56.jpeg

 

 

finally a good car... :D 

get it before someone else does .... 
Also the rust in the pics ... finally looks easily fixable :ph34r:

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

 

finally a good car... :D 

get it before someone else does .... 
Also the rust in the pics ... finally looks easily fixable :ph34r:

Oh yeah it’s $2700 now 

the only things I know for sure is wrong with it is the trunk is reluctant to open and the glove box is broken not sure how it is mechanically but it seems like someone took care of it

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization
 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

Oh yeah it’s $2700 now 

the only things I know for sure is wrong with it is the trunk is reluctant to open and the glove box is broken not sure how it is mechanically but it seems like someone took care of it

saabs .. .especially if its a 1 owner car ... are taken care of 

saab owners tend to love them

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

A bit of update to the price too, $2700 now. That’s kinda irresistible lol

I paid over 4000 for mine, and don't regret it one bit. That's a steal

CPU: i7 4790K Motherboard - MSI Z97 G55 SLI RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport 16 GB GPU - Sapphire R9 380 Nitro 4GB Case - NZXT H2 (White) Storage - 120 GB Kingston SSDnow,2x 1TB WD Blue PSU - Corsair CX750M Cooling - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 Keyboard Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Logitech G502

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×