Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

19 minutes ago, vetali said:

I forget the older PFI 3.6 exists, they are becoming extinct on the roads. It was DI. They were aftermarket delco injectors so they had the seals installed. It was one of the worst jobs I've ever done and I'll refuse to do them again. Worse than Caddy northstar head gaskets. I messed up the clip orientation and at that point I gave up because I didn't have a seal tool, sent it to my buddy that is manager at a GM dealership, and 2 techs went out injured that worked on it. Legitimately a cursed vehicle.

Honda DI injectors are gravy, and they go bad pretty often. They come with the seals preinstalled, installed as a full set, don't have a gigantic plastic harness that prevents removal on the v6s. I can do v6s in 45 minutes and 4 cylinders in about 2 hours.

Sounds like a bad ECM. Wonder how hard it is to find one for a 2000s jag lol.

I'm guessing discontinued probably and since it needs anti-theft programming probably used is out of the question unless we get a gauge cluster and key and ECM as a set since I think they're all coded together. Even then, probabably not worth all that, not super high miles but I'm betting the owner doesn't want to invest that kind of money on a maybe fix. I think I'll see what's missing, spark or fuel, that's doing the crank/no start and check if the ECM is missing more outputs just to make myself feel better about being right.

Thankfully we haven't run into those bad, just several timing chain jobs where you drop the whole power train on the cradle out the bottom, usually pull the TECHM at the same time and have the trans shop up the street replace the switch membranes since often it's timing codes AND pressure switch codes.

34 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I'm guessing discontinued probably and since it needs anti-theft programming probably used is out of the question unless we get a gauge cluster and key and ECM as a set since I think they're all coded together. Even then, probabably not worth all that, not super high miles but I'm betting the owner doesn't want to invest that kind of money on a maybe fix. I think I'll see what's missing, spark or fuel, that's doing the crank/no start and check if the ECM is missing more outputs just to make myself feel better about being right.

Thankfully we haven't run into those bad, just several timing chain jobs where you drop the whole power train on the cradle out the bottom, usually pull the TECHM at the same time and have the trans shop up the street replace the switch membranes since often it's timing codes AND pressure switch codes.

Damn, thing might be totaled then.

Lift tables make powertrain drops and installs sooo easy. Don't see many transmission issues other than the typical GM 6Ls and Honda HR-V exploding transmissions. Seeing more issues with the later 6 speed Honda transmissions lately. Still haven't seen any issues on the ZF9 that Honda uses. A few 10 speed replacements.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

7 hours ago, vetali said:

Damn, thing might be totaled then.

Lift tables make powertrain drops and installs sooo easy. Don't see many transmission issues other than the typical GM 6Ls and Honda HR-V exploding transmissions. Seeing more issues with the later 6 speed Honda transmissions lately. Still haven't seen any issues on the ZF9 that Honda uses. A few 10 speed replacements.

We just set 4 jack stands under the frame and raise the car up. Cheap but effective, don't really have the space for a lift table.

11 hours ago, Bitter said:

We just set 4 jack stands under the frame and raise the car up. Cheap but effective, don't really have the space for a lift table.

Yeah thats one of the cons with them, they take up a lot of room and are super heavy. Ours is designed for EV batteries. I think its like 3000lb capacity, pneumatic lift.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

31 minutes ago, vetali said:

Yeah thats one of the cons with them, they take up a lot of room and are super heavy. Ours is designed for EV batteries. I think its like 3000lb capacity, pneumatic lift.

We've barely had a functionnal welder for over a year, finally got a new handle and cable assembly for it. We can MIG weld again, first comment from the boss when I laid a test bead "wow I've never heard it weld that good before". Gas nozzle was live and shorting the arc every time it touched the work. New handle is cheap crap but it works fine and has cheap consumables. Same comment when I finally got him to get a real gas regulator "wow it's never welded this good before". Yeah it's like if you don't have cobbled together stuff it usually works pretty good! It's only suitable for light stuff but it's enough to get out of a jam if you need to weld a nut back down that's broke loose or weld some exhaust together. I need to do some more practice welds now that it's actually working right but it's pretty easy shit, it's MIG after all and I learned on gas and arc...I have tig'd but I wouldn't say I'm good at it.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

We've barely had a functionnal welder for over a year, finally got a new handle and cable assembly for it. We can MIG weld again, first comment from the boss when I laid a test bead "wow I've never heard it weld that good before". Gas nozzle was live and shorting the arc every time it touched the work. New handle is cheap crap but it works fine and has cheap consumables. Same comment when I finally got him to get a real gas regulator "wow it's never welded this good before". Yeah it's like if you don't have cobbled together stuff it usually works pretty good! It's only suitable for light stuff but it's enough to get out of a jam if you need to weld a nut back down that's broke loose or weld some exhaust together. I need to do some more practice welds now that it's actually working right but it's pretty easy shit, it's MIG after all and I learned on gas and arc...I have tig'd but I wouldn't say I'm good at it.

I've been begging them to get a new welder at work. Ours is an old Hobofart, feed motor has a dead spot in it. If ya hit it with some momentum it'll just hiccup at your bead... if you start it at the dead spot then you have to manually turn it.

My old work had a gucci'd out Miller MIG. It was nice, but I hated using it because it was always for exhaust work. I hated exhaust work and we hardly made money off it.

2 hours ago, vetali said:

I've been begging them to get a new welder at work. Ours is an old Hobofart, feed motor has a dead spot in it. If ya hit it with some momentum it'll just hiccup at your bead... if you start it at the dead spot then you have to manually turn it.

My old work had a gucci'd out Miller MIG. It was nice, but I hated using it because it was always for exhaust work. I hated exhaust work and we hardly made money off it.

Lincoln SP-85 dating from pre-1991 but it works, traded a customer for it years ago. We did brakes, she gave us welder. She got the welder when some jerk abandoned it in her storage barn. We all win.

Was supposed to  take the truck out today and finish tuning but my wideband had other plans.... So instead of getting some shots on the road here's a quick shot at the neighborhood park 😂DSC_6692.thumb.png.1e8bdb807dbd4b872cfa689ebe6a1d69.png

Having the door decals back on really make it look a lot better 

Vaporwave: 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d / Powercolor Red Devil RX 7900 XT / Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P / Kingston fury beast 32GB / WD_Black SN770 1tb / Samsung  970 evo 1tb / Corsair RM850x / Cooler Master ML360 v2 / NZXT H9 Elite / Vizio m422i-B1  / Steelseries x Destiny 2 Arctis 1/ GMMK Pro+GMMK Num Akko Lavender/ Steelseries x Destiny 2 Rival 5

Also how common is this? I feel this has happened to me more than a few times

ordered a new mass airflow sensor, just the duralast one

What show up is someone else’s used mass airflow sensor

IMG_7272.thumb.jpeg.c6a58d161758685e192436f96a69e346.jpeg

IMG_7277.thumb.jpeg.c62088118aa120b1c2b36e9fe61899c5.jpeg

it’s not even for my car, it’s a whole different size than the one on my car

IMG_7280.thumb.jpeg.a215d61dd5474f4ac995cb4205d5cfb2.jpeg

35 minutes ago, 8tg said:

The alternators huddle together before the impending winter, gathering their flock before migrating south for the winter.

IMG_7269.thumb.jpeg.8e93c0af1ff6a6e8a2849659678a9785.jpeg

I woudn't complain too much if a few decided to roost here for the winter - Only need a couple - That would be fine (And then I'd let them breed).

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

4 hours ago, 8tg said:

I've received used brake rotors before. I just always assumed it was a worker pulling the old switcheroo for themself or a buddy.

14 hours ago, 8tg said:

IMG_7272.thumb.jpeg.c6a58d161758685e192436f96a69e346.jpeg

IMG_7277.thumb.jpeg.c62088118aa120b1c2b36e9fe61899c5.jpeg

it’s not even for my car, it’s a whole different size than the one on my car

IMG_7280.thumb.jpeg.a215d61dd5474f4ac995cb4205d5cfb2.jpeg

REFURBISHED TO OEM SPECS.

Retail parts stores are always a setup for disaster or disappointment. Counter guy at one literally told me it was fine to use fuel line for trans and power steering.

20230910_163752.thumb.JPG.e62a710393eeccfac05efcba4ba892ce.JPG

There's been a sudden heat wave the last week, and one of the coils decided it's had enough lol.

Scanner shows cylinder 1 misfire, so I'm hoping it's a coil. I had a set of spark plugs spare, so I replaced cyl 1, but no change, so I'm really hoping the coils that are coming tomorrow will fix it. Because if it doesn't, it's going to be expensive..

Edit: Moved cyl 1 coil to cyl 4, and the code moved, so it's just the coil. Thank God it's not the fuel pump, or the injector, or b the charcoal canister, or the ECU.

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

Weird question here - anyone have experience making their own cabin air filters? It’s getting more and more difficult sourcing the air filters for my Mazda protege much less even finding a single filter for less than 50 dollars on eBay. 

No North American protégés came with cabin air filters, I like installing them for obvious reasons. The only ones that work are for the Mazda premacy which has the same internal air box but are a European/ Asian based version. 

I’m thinking of just cutting out the old filter media, while it is super tough with the charcoal inside, and putting a big bead of glue down to adhere the new media to the frames of the filter. 

are there any other North American cars that came with a charcoal filter? 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

9 hours ago, Beef Boss said:

are there any other North American cars that came with a charcoal filter? 

Wix let's you search for filters by size. If you find one that you think might work, you can click on the part number and it will tell you the application.  Searching that application on the same site would let you know if a charcoal version is available. IIRC Wix makes 3 types of cabin air filters. 

As for making them, a real aquarium store would have all sorts of filter material. Not a chain place like PetSmart or Jacks, a real Aquarium store. I used to buy all sorts of filter material from a locally owned place here in town for my fish tanks. That might be another option?

12 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

Wix let's you search for filters by size. If you find one that you think might work, you can click on the part number and it will tell you the application.  Swatching that application on the same site would let you know if a charcoal version is available. IIRC Wix makes 3 types of cabin air filters. 

As for making them, a real aquarium store would have all sorts of filter material. Not a chain place like PetSmart or Jacks, a real Aquarium store. I used to buy all sorts of filter material from a locally owned place here in town for my fish tanks. That might be another option?

Thank you for this. Really appreciate that!

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

I think you guys might appreciate these nice crystals on this buss battery:

Spoiler

20230909_125332.thumb.JPG.5110731cfcf59b043b13f53bd5c78499.JPG

20230909_125335.thumb.JPG.20f858c9f0c768439b11eeb50c0c3565.JPG

Wonder if this is why it has some trouble starting 🤔

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

6 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I think you guys might appreciate these nice crystals on this buss battery:

Hide contents

20230909_125332.thumb.JPG.5110731cfcf59b043b13f53bd5c78499.JPG

20230909_125335.thumb.JPG.20f858c9f0c768439b11eeb50c0c3565.JPG

Wonder if this is why it has some trouble starting 🤔

Time to make a cup of tea.....

Pete

32 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

That'd be useful, until they get rotated around.

That's why cars have a simple reset system when they do per tire. Not my fault if you're getting rotated and not resetting positions.

6 minutes ago, Bitter said:

That's why cars have a simple reset system when they do per tire. Not my fault if you're getting rotated and not resetting positions.

Or I could just step outside my vehicle and take 2 seconds to see/hear which tire is leaking. Less steps and time involved.

2 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Or I could just step outside my vehicle and take 2 seconds to see/hear which tire is leaking. Less steps and time involved.

Too much work, that's why people drive on a flat to the shop. After feeding $4 into the gas station air pump that makes a bunch of noise but doesn't actually make any pressure.