Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

15 hours ago, Bitter said:

Brake pad limbo, how low can you go?

20230825_130834.thumb.jpg.ee8f2604257d597b12a1b8b20f937966.jpg

challenge accepted:

image.jpeg.a59ed6061697f63721489278a7824

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

3 hours ago, warmmilk said:

challenge accepted:

Too low, can't touch the rotor lol

Well....... "Wrong part" syndrome strikes again here.

That holds me up yet again but this time I got a refund and went to another store, and they showed and had it available. In a few I'll head out, look it over and if it's the correct one that should do it.
My S10, being what it is isn't the easiest to find all the correct parts for but I'd still rather have it than something else.

The pressurized bleeder I made for this work was tested and it does work.
101_1303.thumb.JPG.40d5ddce69b2fbb2b57c4818ce0d464a.JPG

I've already flushed the system with it to test and it did the job, no problem.

Now I just need the right part and hopefully I'll be riding before too long.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

On 8/25/2023 at 2:13 PM, Bitter said:

Brake pad limbo, how low can you go?

I paid for the whole pad I'mma use the whole pad

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

New schmeats have arrived bois

PXL_20230826_212321108.jpg

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

4 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

I paid for the whole pad I'mma use the whole pad

I mean honestly these days.. you're gonna have to replace the rotor anyway. Just don't ruin your calipers and it's fine 😛

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

17 hours ago, Bitter said:

Too low, can't touch the rotor lol

rotors were still ok with these... from when I had an RSX.  hard to tell how much is left from this angle tho...

(ignore racecar claims on street pads)

image.jpeg.936bd0e068871262c668550b546122b7.jpeg

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

9 hours ago, warmmilk said:

rotors were still ok with these... from when I had an RSX.  hard to tell how much is left from this angle tho...

(ignore racecar claims on street pads)

image.jpeg.936bd0e068871262c668550b546122b7.jpeg

Overdrove those pads just a little bit there.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Fuck.

PXL_20230827_230914846.jpg

PXL_20230827_231013147.jpg

On 8/3/2023 at 7:16 AM, djksm said:

Does anyone here have a rivian r1t? Is it any good?

My first post on LTT! I have an El Cap Grey with 20" ATs. I love this truck. I've owned a lot of vehicles in my lifetime (most recently a 2016 4Runner) and can say with absolute certainty that this is the best car I've ever owned. Is it perfect? No. Is it still clearly a manufacturer in its infancy? Yes. But this thing rules.

15 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Fuck.

PXL_20230827_230914846.jpg

PXL_20230827_231013147.jpg

Nissan?

3 hours ago, Bitter said:

This is fine, right 👍?

20230828_120532.thumb.jpg.58a29b545870578afecc5135702e7488.jpgIMG_20230828_115736.thumb.jpg.4d7bd9c1f35a880e35468d4df765fb70.jpg

Wadda mean is it ok?
It holds air and there's some rubber there - It's all good.

Got the pickup fixed and working great....... Now it's onto the next issue which is a power steering hose that's decided it's a fountain.
Has a pinhole crack that lets the fluid spray out like that and it's just making a mess, not to mention it's a fire hazard too (Fluid getting on the exhaust manifold) so it's gotta go.
Since one is as old as the other may as well do both and be done with it.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

Actually it didn't hold air, went flat here sitting and the sidewall split when I added air lol. Other 3 are as bad.

@warmmilk did you ever do dirtfish rally school? 

Flights to Seattle from Baton Rouge are extremely cheap right now ($300 round trip cheap) so I’m kinda tempted to maybe visit the area and do that one day I’m there 

just curious if it’s worth it. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I finally figured out how to get the 3m scotchlite to cut properly for tiny delicate stuff. 😂PXL_20230829_194737959.thumb.jpg.d740d708a8c5faf9ee6f51f83c891929.jpg

Also damn those wheels are dirty 😂

Vaporwave: 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d / Powercolor Red Devil RX 7900 XT / Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P / Kingston fury beast 32GB / WD_Black SN770 1tb / Samsung  970 evo 1tb / Corsair RM850x / Cooler Master ML360 v2 / NZXT H9 Elite / Vizio m422i-B1  / Steelseries x Destiny 2 Arctis 1/ GMMK Pro+GMMK Num Akko Lavender/ Steelseries x Destiny 2 Rival 5

On a related note:
Since the hurricane has come in, the tidal surge is on and all that, I'm just wondering how many shops are gonna get "Flooded" themselves afterwards with all the work.
The majority I'm sure will be insurance claims for a totalled car and that's fine but still..... There will be alot of work to be done for the ones that can be fixed/saved along with some that's more or less irreplacable so it's either fix it or lose it.
BTW "Irreplacable" depends on what that means to an owner  - Depending on the individual owner.

I'm also wondering how many EV's are gonna "Get lit" this time around.
Give it about a week and I guess we'll find out.

On 8/28/2023 at 1:21 PM, Bitter said:

Nissan?

3rd gen Explorer

On 8/28/2023 at 7:29 PM, bcredeur97 said:

@warmmilk did you ever do dirtfish rally school? 

Flights to Seattle from Baton Rouge are extremely cheap right now ($300 round trip cheap) so I’m kinda tempted to maybe visit the area and do that one day I’m there 

just curious if it’s worth it. 

I haven't done it but have always wanted to.  if you decide to come out to do it, let me know and i'll see if I can join you.  from the people I've talked to that have done it, all love it and say its worth it.  but I haven't talked to anyone thats really into cars/driving that has done it.  just kinda like casually oh you know cars are cool and their wife got it for them as a present or a work thing or something.

2000ish Jaguar electrical diagrams can eat a fat turd. Ffffffffffffuck. No congruity between OE and non OE information. One says ground P140 rear by battery, other says ground P|40 behind R/F tire, both show connected to the same circuits on one diagram, don't exist on another diagram, and I'm quickly dropping patience. I'm just going to assume all black wires at the PCM are ground 🤡.

And I don't have 100% OE information to work from, some information is only non OE and some is only OE and some is duplicated but doesn't match up. image.gif.03c0f1c59911c189443fd45561052822.gif

8 hours ago, Bitter said:

2000ish Jaguar electrical diagrams can eat a fat turd. Ffffffffffffuck. No congruity between OE and non OE information. One says ground P140 rear by battery, other says ground P|40 behind R/F tire, both show connected to the same circuits on one diagram, don't exist on another diagram, and I'm quickly dropping patience. I'm just going to assume all black wires at the PCM are ground 🤡.

And I don't have 100% OE information to work from, some information is only non OE and some is only OE and some is duplicated but doesn't match up. image.gif.03c0f1c59911c189443fd45561052822.gif

I hate 2000s euro car electrical issues. Newer ones seem to have much better diagrams and documentation for regular repairs.

You ever do injectors on a GM 3.6?

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

1 hour ago, vetali said:

I hate 2000s euro car electrical issues. Newer ones seem to have much better diagrams and documentation for regular repairs.

You ever do injectors on a GM 3.6?

Direct injected? No but on a 2.4L and some HyunKia's. You pretty much absolutely need the cone to stretch the injector seal over the nozzle without ripping it and then the shrinking tool to get it to fit into groove and not hang out and get snagged on reinstall. I imagine the 3.6 is similar to the 2.4's? Or do you mean the older port injected ones? I can't say I've seen a bad GDI injector on a GM honestly, they've been fairly fault free...can't say as much for the timing chain system, PCV system, and HPFP's.

Pretty sure the Jag is a bad ECM, has power, has ign switched power, has grounds, it's getting the crank request from the ignition switch, it's not spitting out a crank enable ground to the starter relay and when I provide the ground and have the key held in crank it doesn't start just cranks...oh yeah and I have no comms with the ECM. I'm going to try generic comms again next week but I can talk to every other module in the vehicle except the steering column lock module but I doubt that's got anything to do with this, other modules have no ECM comms codes set in them, dash is spitting a bunch of faults, and other modules have ECM comms codes.

50 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Direct injected? No but on a 2.4L and some HyunKia's. You pretty much absolutely need the cone to stretch the injector seal over the nozzle without ripping it and then the shrinking tool to get it to fit into groove and not hang out and get snagged on reinstall. I imagine the 3.6 is similar to the 2.4's? Or do you mean the older port injected ones? I can't say I've seen a bad GDI injector on a GM honestly, they've been fairly fault free...can't say as much for the timing chain system, PCV system, and HPFP's.

Pretty sure the Jag is a bad ECM, has power, has ign switched power, has grounds, it's getting the crank request from the ignition switch, it's not spitting out a crank enable ground to the starter relay and when I provide the ground and have the key held in crank it doesn't start just cranks...oh yeah and I have no comms with the ECM. I'm going to try generic comms again next week but I can talk to every other module in the vehicle except the steering column lock module but I doubt that's got anything to do with this, other modules have no ECM comms codes set in them, dash is spitting a bunch of faults, and other modules have ECM comms codes.

I forget the older PFI 3.6 exists, they are becoming extinct on the roads. It was DI. They were aftermarket delco injectors so they had the seals installed. It was one of the worst jobs I've ever done and I'll refuse to do them again. Worse than Caddy northstar head gaskets. I messed up the clip orientation and at that point I gave up because I didn't have a seal tool, sent it to my buddy that is manager at a GM dealership, and 2 techs went out injured that worked on it. Legitimately a cursed vehicle.

Honda DI injectors are gravy, and they go bad pretty often. They come with the seals preinstalled, installed as a full set, don't have a gigantic plastic harness that prevents removal on the v6s. I can do v6s in 45 minutes and 4 cylinders in about 2 hours.

Sounds like a bad ECM. Wonder how hard it is to find one for a 2000s jag lol.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra