Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Did the bumper today, have light's in the mail and an aluminum skid plate in the garage that I'll hopefully do tomorrow.  Rock sliders being fabricated and everything on the car will be raptor lined or aluminum.  Then bigger tires and I should be set 😄

364207129_600945142231300_7780064364548189281_n.thumb.jpg.58b8a601904063db83313917cd63900a.jpg

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

2 hours ago, Psittac said:

Did the bumper today, have light's in the mail and an aluminum skid plate in the garage that I'll hopefully do tomorrow.  Rock sliders being fabricated and everything on the car will be raptor lined or aluminum.  Then bigger tires and I should be set 😄

364207129_600945142231300_7780064364548189281_n.thumb.jpg.58b8a601904063db83313917cd63900a.jpg

waiting for pics of it absolutely filthy and not on the road or a parking lot 😛 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

waiting for pics of it absolutely filthy and not on the road or a parking lot 😛 

LOL. Got it fall of last year and only had time to go off road once on a fire road up to the top of a mountain.  Other than getting dusty it wasn't bad at all.

PXL_20220925_211218718.thumb.jpg.5f43cfdc89f060ef82f95f9dd71c54b6.jpg

Here she is stock, she's come a long ways but I'm probably not done by a long shot.  Was entirely stock on the drive to the top of a mountain.

PXL_20220916_234540102_MP.thumb.jpg.31561dd54e660017109bb1e0759fabdc.jpg

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

Dangit. R/R brake started squealing really bad coming to a stop and then I heard chirping just rolling when I'm like 45 minutes from home. Got home using as little brakes as possible and took a look. Pad level isn't unsafe, not on the squealer indicator, but the inboard pad got cocked and isn't moving on the pins properly, both sides outer pads are worn down about 60% gone. I ordered some pads but they're listed as "Available at Supplier Delivered by when available" whatever that means. Rotors are in stock/available if I need them and it looks like I'm going to be real close to discard on them already. I'm going to get it on the rack at lunch and free the pads up and re-grease everything back there, make sure the slides and pistons are working so if I need to order in anything else I can get it on the way. I was having visions of a locked up caliper and zero pad left when I heard the noise.

Normally I go through the brakes every year and re-grease everything but I put it off/forgot a couple years in a row so this is my own fault coming back to bite me in the ass.

49 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Dangit. R/R brake started squealing really bad coming to a stop and then I heard chirping just rolling when I'm like 45 minutes from home. Got home using as little brakes as possible and took a look. Pad level isn't unsafe, not on the squealer indicator, but the inboard pad got cocked and isn't moving on the pins properly, both sides outer pads are worn down about 60% gone. I ordered some pads but they're listed as "Available at Supplier Delivered by when available" whatever that means. Rotors are in stock/available if I need them and it looks like I'm going to be real close to discard on them already. I'm going to get it on the rack at lunch and free the pads up and re-grease everything back there, make sure the slides and pistons are working so if I need to order in anything else I can get it on the way. I was having visions of a locked up caliper and zero pad left when I heard the noise.

Normally I go through the brakes every year and re-grease everything but I put it off/forgot a couple years in a row so this is my own fault coming back to bite me in the ass.

Mine currently squeak a bit when I reverse. 

not too much pad left, I’ll have to change them soon, along with the rotors.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

3 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Mine currently squeak a bit when I reverse. 

not too much pad left, I’ll have to change them soon, along with the rotors.

I'm getting this fun mid-temp brake squeak.

Nothing when cold. Nothing when hot. But ooh boy that in between is loud af.

On 7/29/2023 at 6:42 PM, Bitter said:

It's car related. Realized I left the 'HDR" mode on the camera which makes all the daytime footage look over-processed.

The dogs said HECK NO!!! WE WILL NOT GO!!!

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

7 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I'm getting this fun mid-temp brake squeak.

Nothing when cold. Nothing when hot. But ooh boy that in between is loud af.

Exactly how mine started.

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

Exactly how mine started.

Oh joy, that'll potentially be fun times for me then.

3 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Oh joy, that'll potentially be fun times for me then.

IMG_20230731_121135.thumb.jpg.5c37fe0ac8954eb79bea2949f09482bd.jpg

I put some bevel on the pad edges, ground the ears a little for more pad to caliper clearance, cleaned and greased the pins, made sure the slides moved, and put it back together. Did the same on the other side but it wasn't cocked yet.

Rotors are 8.5ish MM thick, discard is 7.5. By the time I get around to doing the pads I'll order some plain rotors from a local supplier for about $25 each. I want the cryo ones but they're almost $70 a rotor and I haven't cooked the plain ones yet despite my best efforts so eh.

The noise should be gone, I have enough pad I'm not in danger. Even if the noise comes back I know things aren't metal on metal and are able to move around freely.

Scale of 1 through 10, how badly is the dealer going to fuck this up?

20230731_171324.jpg

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

Friends don't let friends install aftermarket water pumps.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

1 hour ago, vetali said:

Friends don't let friends install aftermarket water pumps.

Every timing belt I've done on my Mazda has been for a water pump, either noisy and leaking or leaking gasket. Last one I put the gasket on dry and torqued to spec, no problems with the shitty paper gasket since. There are no OEM parts for that car anymore so I have to try to pick the least worst no OEM parts, Continental kits have been decent to us with very rarely any issues.

We actually have a formerly nice Honda Accord Coupe in the shop, owner is pretty ill but insists on driving and has whacked some curbs and things, steering off center and some body damage. One of the last years of coupe, bright red, loaded top trim level, really nice car.

3 hours ago, Bitter said:

-snip-

when i did this in my civic, I just installed the new one, and used my insurance company tow to tow it to the dealer so I just had to ask for them to program it to the car, and nothing else. Made it as easy as possible for them lol

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Every timing belt I've done on my Mazda has been for a water pump, either noisy and leaking or leaking gasket. Last one I put the gasket on dry and torqued to spec, no problems with the shitty paper gasket since. There are no OEM parts for that car anymore so I have to try to pick the least worst no OEM parts, Continental kits have been decent to us with very rarely any issues.

We actually have a formerly nice Honda Accord Coupe in the shop, owner is pretty ill but insists on driving and has whacked some curbs and things, steering off center and some body damage. One of the last years of coupe, bright red, loaded top trim level, really nice car.

Its getting to the point where in non saltbelt areas that aftermarket parts is whats killing rigs. Been fighting incessant AC leaks on my dads s10. Just garbage parts that keep failing.

Those Accords are nice... really like 9th gens. 7th gens are my favorite but the before statement is starting to apply to them. Honda has been slacking on their 25 year rule since covid.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

8 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

when i did this in my civic, I just installed the new one, and used my insurance company tow to tow it to the dealer so I just had to ask for them to program it to the car, and nothing else. Made it as easy as possible for them lol

Normally that's what we would do but when I spoke the service the 1st time they said they might need the old one to pull some data from but probably not but they weren't sure.  To complicate matters they need 2 keys to program the PCM and the owner only has 1 so they need to program a key then program the PCM. Melissa today did not inspire confidence when I spoke with her, but lately this dealer has been worse in the service dept getting to talk to anyone let alone the same person twice.

4 minutes ago, vetali said:

Its getting to the point where in non saltbelt areas that aftermarket parts is whats killing rigs. Been fighting incessant AC leaks on my dads s10. Just garbage parts that keep failing.

Those Accords are nice... really like 9th gens. 7th gens are my favorite but the before statement is starting to apply to them. Honda has been slacking on their 25 year rule since covid.

I've found that some of the seals and o-rings coming with non OE parts are crap, poorly sized or wrong materials. I'll go to our tower of bins and get the less wrong o-ring. Had a non OE compressor on a Fit that didn't have the stand off for the AC line machined right so I had to use a copper washer as a spacer so the line sit square not crooked to one side and leaking.

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

Normally that's what we would do but when I spoke the service the 1st time they said they might need the old one to pull some data from but probably not but they weren't sure.  To complicate matters they need 2 keys to program the PCM and the owner only has 1 so they need to program a key then program the PCM. Melissa today did not inspire confidence when I spoke with her, but lately this dealer has been worse in the service dept getting to talk to anyone let alone the same person twice.

I've found that some of the seals and o-rings coming with non OE parts are crap, poorly sized or wrong materials. I'll go to our tower of bins and get the less wrong o-ring. Had a non OE compressor on a Fit that didn't have the stand off for the AC line machined right so I had to use a copper washer as a spacer so the line sit square not crooked to one side and leaking.

Just did a compressor on a newer duramax which was surprisingly the easiest compressor I've done in my life. One of the supplied o-rings had no interference on the line. Also helped a guy do one on a CRV where the bolt hole for the line wasn't drilled out far enough so with the stock bolt it wouldn't clamp down on the line.

Really if you drive something within the past 10 years or newer, OEM parts are usually cheaper than the aftermarket parts. Priced out a 9th gen accord condenser. OEM was like 50 dollars cheaper. Availability is another story.

58mpg CAFE standard proposal by 2032

seems unachievable, not gonna lie lol 

I feel like they could leave things where they are at for a little while, and just grind on making things more reliable and getting more people into newer cars, which will always slowly happen over time. That alone will reduce consumption and emissions 

still a lot of people driving old stuff out there 

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, vetali said:

Just did a compressor on a newer duramax which was surprisingly the easiest compressor I've done in my life. One of the supplied o-rings had no interference on the line. Also helped a guy do one on a CRV where the bolt hole for the line wasn't drilled out far enough so with the stock bolt it wouldn't clamp down on the line.

Really if you drive something within the past 10 years or newer, OEM parts are usually cheaper than the aftermarket parts. Priced out a 9th gen accord condenser. OEM was like 50 dollars cheaper. Availability is another story.

When it comes to solenoids and stuff, smaller parts, I def prefer OEM when available. Been doing A LOT of GM Evap solenoids, the newer style Bosch ones. They leak with age and cause weird problems.

37 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

58mpg CAFE standard proposal by 2032

seems unachievable, not gonna lie lol 

I feel like they could leave things where they are at for a little while, and just grind on making things more reliable and getting more people into newer cars, which will always slowly happen over time. That alone will reduce consumption and emissions 

still a lot of people driving old stuff out there 

They always come out with these standards around election times, then move the goalposts when it gets close. I read that as, well better have a majority of your lineup EV. If the government wants to push EVs, then our infrastructure has to massively improve.

I like EVs, I think for point a to point b commuters they are great. Problem is Tesla has the best charging network and it isn't even close. I refuse to buy a Musk mobile.

37 minutes ago, Bitter said:

When it comes to solenoids and stuff, smaller parts, I def prefer OEM when available. Been doing A LOT of GM Evap solenoids, the newer style Bosch ones. They leak with age and cause weird problems.

Sounds like nothing has changed lol... GM and evap issues. Hate dealing with aftermarket evap stuff on Honda. Guaranteed to cause a loose gas cap light.

Has anyone here ordered from https://partsouq.com/ ? It looks like with shipping they'd be half the cost of domestically sourcing the chain and vvt sprocket for the Celica. $260 vs almost $600.

21 hours ago, vetali said:

They always come out with these standards around election times, then move the goalposts when it gets close. I read that as, well better have a majority of your lineup EV. If the government wants to push EVs, then our infrastructure has to massively improve.

I like EVs, I think for point a to point b commuters they are great. Problem is Tesla has the best charging network and it isn't even close. I refuse to buy a Musk mobile.

Sounds like nothing has changed lol... GM and evap issues. Hate dealing with aftermarket evap stuff on Honda. Guaranteed to cause a loose gas cap light.

LK-99 if it pans out, might help with EV adoption big time 

Spoiler

3 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

LK-99 if it pans out, might help with EV adoption big time 

If it pans out. Last I read the theory wasn't being replicated and there is skepticism that its even legit.

On 7/29/2023 at 9:34 PM, Bitter said:

I got a little overzealous on some flat curves this afternoon, might need a little bit more camber in the rear.

IMG_20230729_183836.jpg

nice to see tires getting some proper use!  and yeah, looks like it could benefit from a little more negative camber... What car is this on?

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's