Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 100k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

I like the concept of a brute force American engine in a "sophisticated" German car...

That E39 wagon you post is on my list of top ten wanted cars  :wub:

i honestly don't. it starts to lose its refinement as a german sports car.

1. dat idle

2. torque

3. dat idle

4. much higher power potential NA

5. dat idle

6. its prolly cheaper

7. dat idle

8. torque

9. dat idle

10. can't say for sure, but I'd be willing to bet the LS1 is lighter

11. dat idle

well an s62 has pretty good low end torque, like 360 lb ft at 3500rpm. so i think that's pretty healthy for a 13 year old car. plus it does have a pretty unusual high rpm limit at 7000.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Oh my god.. Thats like reading an ad for a hotwheels car.. 

the only thing that is missing is "SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! MONSTER TRUCKS!"

If you live in Washington, you get to listen to Jay Buhner yell at you about trucks.

That one is tame.

hahhahahahahahhaahahhahahh

not even close man, not even within 10 leagues...

high power VQ's are notoriously unreliable, even when built with forged everything... stock or near stock, they're fine... low boost sc they're fine... once you're pushing past 350-400 wheel hp is issue after issue...

local guy had a fully built 700whp 350Z for about 2 years, in that 2 year time period he drove it maybe 3 months, the rest of the time it spend in the shop... he got fed up with it eventually and sold it for a vette ZR1.  but sweet holy balls that thing was fast when it was working right!

Going from a 350z to a ZR1?

ggzWoNE.jpg

Ironically, I had to work on a 350z today.... holy hell I'll never own one of those. Can't see anything but straight ahead.

i7 8700k 5.0ghz  / 32GB gskill tridentz / ASUS Z370-A Prime / EVGA RTX 2080 Super XC / LG 34GL750 / Logitech G513 romerg tactile / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2019 Razer Blade Stealth / iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB

How does American horsepower differ from German horsepower?

System: Thinkpad T460

How does American horsepower differ from German horsepower?

i just like the sound of a german v8 over an american v8. sounds more refined,

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

post-2597-0-10241100-1450232051_thumb.jp

INTEL CORE i7 4820K | COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO | GIAGBYTE X79-UP4 | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT 8GB | NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1070 | SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500GB | WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR BLUE 1TB | CORSAIR CRYSTAL SERIES 570X | EVGA BQ 650W

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

attachicon.gifclick5.jpg

Actually kinda cute. lol

Actually kinda cute. lol

Kia Rio RX WRC. One of my favorite drivers will be racing it soon, Gigi Galli. And I love Kia too, even if people think they're shit.

Owned several Kias and they are fantastic cars.

INTEL CORE i7 4820K | COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO | GIAGBYTE X79-UP4 | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT 8GB | NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1070 | SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500GB | WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR BLUE 1TB | CORSAIR CRYSTAL SERIES 570X | EVGA BQ 650W

LS1's are lighter than S62's. And it is significantly cheaper, especially when factoring upkeep/maintenance into the picture. And like you said, it'll make power loads easier. That being said, I'd rather have an S62 in my car than an LS1. Putting a pushrod American engine into a German luxury car seems a bit sacrilegious :P S62's are also arguably one of the best power plants BMW has ever created. It would feel odd not to put it into a BMW that you're planning on V8 swapping, or at least considering it as an option

another motor i would love to swap in would be a 1uz-fe. but because california, to make it legal i would need to use the slush box auto from the ls400 also. Not down for that xD

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

another motor i would love to swap in would be a 1uz-fe. but because california, to make it legal i would need to use the slush box auto from the ls400 also. Not down for that xD

you're kidding, you can't have a manual tranny in california for the uz? what the fuck

wait. what? why? that doesn't make any sense. the transmission doesn't affect emissions...

I drive a Honda, but i'm a Toyota boy at heart.

I use Apple products, and I like it.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-2820QM GPU: Intel HD3000/Radeon HD6750M RAM: 12GB(4GB Crucial, 8GB PNY) MOBO: Apple A1286 PSU: Apple MagSafe MONITOR: 1680x1050 CHASSIS: MacBook Pro 15 (Early 2011) A1286

i wish smart brabus roadsters or the crossblade were legal in the usa totally daily that car just for the weirdness factor

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

you're kidding, you can't have a manual tranny in california for the uz? what the fuck

There isnt a car in the us that was sold with a 1uz paired to a manual trans, so its a no go because of california law.

wait. what? why? that doesn't make any sense. the transmission doesn't affect emissions...

it dosnt affect emmissions whatsoever, but to keep it legal it has to have the original transmission or have a transmission that will mount without a bell housing adapter. as far as i know, there is no manual that will natively bolt up to a 1uz

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

i wish smart brabus roadsters or the crossblade were legal in the usa totally daily that car just for the weirdness factor

there is always the option of a normal smart car and a sawzall :D

There isnt a car in the us that was sold with a 1uz paired to a manual trans, so its a no go because of california law.

it dosnt affect emmissions whatsoever, but to keep it legal it has to have the original transmission or have a transmission that will mount without a bell housing adapter. as far as i know, there is no manual that will natively bolt up to a 1uz

the 1st gen Tundra was made with a manual and runs a 2uz, they might be the same.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-2820QM GPU: Intel HD3000/Radeon HD6750M RAM: 12GB(4GB Crucial, 8GB PNY) MOBO: Apple A1286 PSU: Apple MagSafe MONITOR: 1680x1050 CHASSIS: MacBook Pro 15 (Early 2011) A1286

there is always the option of a normal smart car and a sawzall :D

wouldn't be the same :(

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Can't you reg in another state and do it? Texas... lol

System: Thinkpad T460

the 1st gen Tundra was made with a manual and runs a 2uz, they might be the same.

cant do that either, even if it would work. California law states that you cant use any parts from a different class vehicle in an engine change. Cant use any truck engines, transmissions, or drivetrain parts.

A Nissan VH/VK is another option I learned about recently. A version VK was used in Nissan's R35 racecar. Also, apparently Nissan sold the engine design to McLaren, who modified it and still uses in all their cars (P1, 650s, 12c, etc.) That wouldn't be a bad option either. :D They're pretty cheap on eBay.

Wow, is Cali really that strict? That blows. Would they really check your car to make sure your tranny is one originally offered with your motor?

How about a 2UZ? The Tundra came with a 2UZ and manual. Land Cruiser too I believe  Nevermind, may not be correct.

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

cant do that either, even if it would work. California law states that you cant use any parts from a different class vehicle in an engine change. Cant use any truck engines, transmissions, or drivetrain parts.

wat. that's dumb.

what about a 3uz? either that engine, and tranny or 1uz and a 3uz tranny? the 3uz was used in cars.

either way, it looks like it would work according to the thread. https://classicmotorsports.com/forum/grm/transmission-options-for-a-1uz-fe/86986/page1/

Spoiler

Kia Rio RX WRC. One of my favorite drivers will be racing it soon, Gigi Galli. And I love Kia too, even if people think they're shit.

Owned several Kias and they are fantastic cars.

Toyota says game on.

Good to see Kia jumping on board as well, but sad to see Citroen go for a year.

Active Threads: Box Box Box - Project CARS & Assetto Corsa Players Club  | The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X+ Corsair H110i GT GPU: EVGA GTX1080 SC MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + Intel 545s 512GB

A Nissan VH/VK is another option I learned about recently. A version VK was used in Nissan's R35 racecar. Also, apparently Nissan sold the engine design to McLaren, who modified it and still uses in all their cars (P1, 650s, 12c, etc.) That wouldn't be a bad option either. :D

Wow, is Cali really that strict? That blows. Would they really check your car to make sure your tranny is one originally offered with your motor?

How about a 2UZ? The Tundra came with a 2UZ and manual. Land Cruiser too I believe  Nevermind, may not be correct.

the biggest downside to the 2UZ is it has a much lower redline, and lower horsepower because of it. the torque is much better though. but yeah, the 2UZ Tundra did offer a manual.

Spoiler

A Nissan VH/VK is another option I learned about recently. A version VK was used in Nissan's R35 racecar. Also, apparently Nissan sold the engine design to McLaren, who modified it and still uses in all their cars (P1, 650s, 12c, etc.) That wouldn't be a bad option either. :D

Yeah, its really strict. To pass smog and stay registered the swap has to be approved by a state ref. and yes, they do check. They even go as far as to make sure the evap system and charcoal canister are the same as what vehicle the motor came from.

Toyota says game on.

Good to see Kia jumping on board as well, but sad to see Citroen go for a year.

Not nearly as cool as the Rio IMO. Plus Gigi Galli is one hell of a driver.

well an s62 has pretty good low end torque, like 360 lb ft at 3500rpm. so i think that's pretty healthy for a 13 year old car. plus it does have a pretty unusual high rpm limit at 7000.

childs play compared to an LS1 torque.  I'm not sure what they're rated at, but on dyno's they're typically in the 250 tq range at 3k and up.  the LS1 out of an f body (basically shittiest LS you can get short of a truck motor) makes 300 off idle...

Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | 4770k 4.6GHz | Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866 16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

Yeah, its really strict. To pass smog and stay registered the swap has to be approved by a state ref. and yes, they do check. They even go as far as to make sure the evap system and charcoal canister are the same as what vehicle the motor came from.

they do make a manual to go with the 1uz and 3uz, they are just super rare. (sc400, sc430)

Spoiler