Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 100k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

you really should.  there's more to mileage then just how the engine handles it.  there's all the bushings, ball joints, and suspension pieces, tons of random plastic bits in the engine bay that need to stay not cracked, tons hoses, belts, etc.  it may be an $11k car, but replacement parts are still based on the original $60k (or whatever it was) pricetag.  there are certain parts that have come down in price, but most is still expensive.  you'd be better off buying a 100-150k M5 for $15kish then a 200k car for 11..

auto NA, way over priced

does the throttle delay bug you enough to throw 300 bucks at the problem?  its really up to you.  its not exactly going to give you a performance increase, more driveability change of quicker throttle response.

these actually work.  they're quite popular with European cars, especially with people who track or autox them and need more direct throttle control and not the delayed DBW that a lot of modern Euro cars have...  not saying only Euro cars have this, but its definitely more common with them.

this is a sleeper (vid below)... 220hp is not a sleeper unless the car is sub 2000lb... GS300 is just an average car in terms of speed. not that there's anything wrong with a GS300, if you want one go for it, its just not a sleeper in stock form.  

although its a very good candidate to be a sleeper, it has a 2JZ in it, the NA version is nearly as strong as the Turbo block, it can easily handle 600hp if you throw a turbo on there (blacked out intercooler for stealth status :D).  only thing that stock tranny won't be able to handle much power, you'll either have to swap in a manual or an auto that can handle the power...

I'd be doing much more to a GS300, more than likely go turbo, but as a base, I feel like the GS300 would be a good start

CPU: i7 4790K Motherboard - MSI Z97 G55 SLI RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport 16 GB GPU - Sapphire R9 380 Nitro 4GB Case - NZXT H2 (White) Storage - 120 GB Kingston SSDnow,2x 1TB WD Blue PSU - Corsair CX750M Cooling - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 Keyboard Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Logitech G502

@warmmilk it's kind of annoying how when I floor the accelerator, it sometimes takes a second to do anything. I want the car to respond, and move when I floor it

CPU- i7 5960x MOTHERBOARD- Asus Rampage V extreme RAM- 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum ddr4 2800mhz GPU-  2X EVGA GTX 980 SC in SLI PSU- Corsair ax860 CASE- Corsair Obsidian 750d COOLING- EK cpu+dual gpu custom loop (ek supremacy evo, dual gtx 980 copper/acetal waterblocks) MOUSE- Logitech g502 proteus core KEYBOARD- Ducky shine 3 cherry mx blue switches and blue LED MONITOR- Samsung u28d590d UHD  STORAGE -  120 gb samsung 850 evo ssd, 960 gb ocz trion ssd OS- Windows 10 pro http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jtP8GX

I'd be doing much more to a GS300, more than likely go turbo, but as a base, I feel like the GS300 would be a good start

in that case, yes, GS300 is good for a potential sleeper build.  based on your original post on the subject I thought you were saying it was a sleeper in stock form

Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | 4770k 4.6GHz | Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866 16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

@warmmilk it's kind of annoying how when I floor the accelerator, it sometimes takes a second to do anything. I want the car to respond, and move when I floor it

C250's are all auto's, right?

is the second delay actual throttle, or the time it takes for your transmission to downshift?  if its the time it takes your transmission to downshift, this module won't do anything about it.  if you're talking about when you're already in the right gear and the floor it, and it still takes a second to get going, this is what the sprint module will fix.

Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | 4770k 4.6GHz | Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866 16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

@RevoltTrain

Id go for a G35 (aka Skyline :P) over a GS300.

VQ is just as reputable as a 2J, it's less of a boat, it's rwd, and it came with more power stock.

Those cars are under appreciated...

System: Thinkpad T460

@RevoltTrain

Id go for a G35 (aka Skyline :P) over a GS300.

VQ is just as reputable as a 2J, it's less of a boat, it's rwd, and it came with more power stock.

Those cars are under appreciated...

hahhahahahahahhaahahhahahh

not even close man, not even within 10 leagues...

high power VQ's are notoriously unreliable, even when built with forged everything... stock or near stock, they're fine... low boost sc they're fine... once you're pushing past 350-400 wheel hp is issue after issue...

local guy had a fully built 700whp 350Z for about 2 years, in that 2 year time period he drove it maybe 3 months, the rest of the time it spend in the shop... he got fed up with it eventually and sold it for a vette ZR1.  but sweet holy balls that thing was fast when it was working right!

high power VQ's are notoriously unreliable, even when built with forged everything... stock or near stock, they're fine... low boost sc they're fine... once you're pushing past 350-400 wheel hp is issue after issue...

local guy had a fully built 700whp 350Z for about 2 years, in that 2 year time period he drove it maybe 3 months, the rest of the time it spend in the shop... he got fed up with it eventually and sold it for a vette ZR1.  but sweet holy balls that thing was fast when it was working right!

the only reason i would ever drive one with a vq engine is because of the noise. it sounds really nice and that's really all. i never was a big fan of v6s. only like inline 4s, inline 6s, v8s, v10s, and v12s. but i never liked v6s. i associate them with low power outputs.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

the only reason i would ever drive one with a vq engine is because of the noise. it sounds really nice and that's really all. i never was a big fan of v6s. only like inline 4s, inline 6s, v8s, v10s, and v12s. but i never liked v6s. i associate them with low power outputs.

yeah, they do sound good with the right exhaust... only V6 I know of that sounds like a straight 6

I guess vw's VR6 also sounds like an I6, but its closer to an I6 then a V6

The VQ was never meant to be turboed unlike the 2J... 

Stock v stock, I'd easily go for the VQ.

my bad, I thought you were refering to a high power VQ since we were talking sleepers and 600 hp 2JZ's and all.. :D

stock or near stock the VQ is a good engine, well VQ35HR and later, the DE variants are pretty pathetic in any form...

if we're going VQ vs the NA 2JZ thats in the GS300 and similar, yes the VQ is better (even the DE).  But the turbo 2JZ-GTE is better than any VQ, stock or not.

If you're going to have a high-output VQ, it better be built for N/A performance. Gosh I would love to do that to my dads car. It's so expensive to do a N/A build though.

And @warmmilk the VQ35DE isn't that bad... The revup model at least. They consume oil though with age. But they still sound amazing and are better than a stock 2JZ (they are actually decent on mpg too lol)

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

"A redline a day keeps depression at bay" - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 and 2 x Seagate ST2000DM006 (in RAID 0 for games!) - The good old Corsair GS700 - Yamakasi Catleap 2703 27" 1440p and ASUS VS239H-P 1080p 23" - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Avid Miata autocrosser :D

New MCM

More PC parts in this one :D

lmao, I started watching that & I was like "Is he holding... a regular pc radiator?...yep! totally is" lol

So my buddy texts me and says "so say hypothetically I were to get you a xmas gift for some dumb reason, what would it be?"

So I send him the link to some polyurathane front sway bar and endlink bushings. (with grease fittiings so they won't squeak like a bitch!)

TBH they do look good in red. (+50 hp)

EDIT: First the link breaks, second the picture is only 2/3 what you see on the website. Eeesh)

EDIT2: GOT IT

post-43743-0-87634500-1450226467.png

[Desktop][i7 3960X @ 4.3Ghz][P9X79 Deluxe][16GB DDR3 1866Mhz][GTX 1080Ti Fe][1TB 850 Evo][Win 10 Pro]
[Laptop][Pavilion Gaming 15t][i7 8750H @ -128 undervolt][8GB DDR4 2666M Mhz][GTX 1060 Max-Q][1TB WD Blue 3D Nand SSD][Win 10 Pro]

oh boy, the urge to do an ls swap is real

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

If you're going to have a high-output VQ, it better be built for N/A performance. Gosh I would love to do that to my dads car. It's so expensive to do a N/A build though.

And @warmmilk the VQ35DE isn't that bad... The revup model at least. They consume oil though with age. But they still sound amazing and are better than a stock 2JZ (they are actually decent on mpg too lol)

better then an NA version of an engine that was designed from the ground up to be a turbo engine, that's a decade older is a really low target...

it sounds good and it makes ok power, but horrible specific power output.  Even the revups at best made something like 240-250whp... for a 3.5 liter.. that supposed to be an engine that goes into a sports car...  I mean thats ok for a minivan or a family car, but not for a sports car engine.  not to mention they run hot, if you wanna track it you absolutely need an oil cooler.  and NA build? really? this is possibly the worst engine for an NA build...  a complete full NA build will make around 310 whp... you might be able to squeeze up to to about 350 if you run race gas all the time and give it the compression to take advantage of that along with a really aggressive tune.  and a build like this will cost you 10k absolute minimum, prolly closer to 15...  thats pretty pathetic power output for a 3.5 liter.  

and if you go bolt on's only, the only 2 mods that give you any real power is the plenum spacer and SG longtube headers...  with both of those and a tune you might be able to pick up 15ish whp.  between those 2 parts, osiris to tune it, and the actual tune, you'll looking at about 4k... and you'll want a good catback exhaust to go along with that.  so all said and done you're looking at 270whp if you're lucky and you're out 4-5k on parts alone.

I mean it would be ok if it came with family car reliability along with that family car power, but most of them eat oil like a Subaru...  the only thing the DE has going for it is the sound and flat torque curve... but the flat torque curve to to be expected with the displacement and pedestrian power output...

Keep in mind, I've owned a 350Z... but it was an HR :D  its really much more of a difference the the 10 hp on paper... I raced a bunch of full bolt on DE's, revup and non revup, walked them all no problem when I was still completely stock.  but this was before SG came along and brought his longtube headers, with those it'd prolly be a lot closer.

pic of me at the track on my Z for bonus points :D

CarsatthePGP2.jpg

why swap an ls, when you can swap a bmw s62?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

ablurgfadsoijwermdsf   :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  you're giving me bad idea's for the 328i daily I just bought...

speaking of LS1's, an LS1 swap is prolly the most cost affective and most reliable way to increase power significantly in a Z or G35...

reliability. It would be awesome, but it costs allot more as well as not being nearly as easy to implement. There is already a ton of documentation out there when it comes to ls swaps and i can buy pre made engine mounts.

1. dat idle

2. torque

3. dat idle

4. much higher power potential NA

5. dat idle

6. its prolly cheaper

7. dat idle

8. torque

9. dat idle

10. can't say for sure, but I'd be willing to bet the LS1 is lighter

11. dat idle

main reasons is bmw servicing is expensive and frequent 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

That looks good. 5.7 is still pretty big IMO. How's fuel economy compared to a 5.3 or 4.8? Probably more about gearing? If I ever end up doing the swap, I'd most likely lean towards an L33, because the smaller displacement, but still an aluminum block... or an S62 :P

Nissan made a VQ30DET from factory for a few JDM models. That being said, they ran super low boost.. maybe I should turbo mine  :ph34r:

~~

To further fuel the want :D

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

1. dat idle

2. torque

3. dat idle

4. much higher power potential NA

5. dat idle

6. its prolly cheaper

7. dat idle

8. torque

9. dat idle

10. can't say for sure, but I'd be willing to bet the LS1 is lighter

11. dat idle

LS1's are lighter than S62's. And it is significantly cheaper, especially when factoring upkeep/maintenance into the picture. And like you said, it'll make power loads easier. That being said, I'd rather have an S62 in my car than an LS1. Putting a pushrod American engine into a German luxury car seems a bit sacrilegious :P S62's are also arguably one of the best power plants BMW has ever created. It would feel odd not to put it into a BMW that you're planning on V8 swapping, or at least considering it as an option

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

LS1's are lighter than S62's. And it is significantly cheaper, especially when factoring upkeep/maintenance into the picture. And like you said, it'll make power loads easier. That being said, I'd rather have an S62 in my car than an LS1. Putting a pushrod American engine into a German luxury car seems a bit sacrilegious :P S62's are also arguably one of the best power plants BMW has ever created. It would feel odd not to put it into a BMW that you're planning on V8 swapping, or at least considering it as an option

I like the concept of a brute force American engine in a "sophisticated" German car...

That E39 wagon you post is on my list of top ten wanted cars  :wub:

I like the concept of a brute force American engine in a "sophisticated" German car...

That E39 wagon you post is on my list of top ten wanted cars  :wub:

I dont know. It bugs my OCD a bit. I like keeping it in-brand. But LS's may be an exception, since they're so common/cheap/powerful/reliable.

Yeah, I know. I actually saw him at a C&C back in VA two summers ago. Definitely top 1 or 2 dream car for me (although I may be biased). It was the first thing I posted on this thread on the first page  :D Once I get more time and money, I'm making my car very similar to that.