Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

I own a swedish car currently haha 

but some of my old cars (First car isnt the same car as the last)

11665645_10206246121225207_6353571429891

10380017_10203497153862741_7895736165146

1381743_608137259236502_302040917_n.jpg?

MR2!!! :D

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

See here's my thoughs on exhaust or noise in general from a car. I don't want it to be loud. Crusing on the highway shouldn't have an exhaust drone. When I have my exhaust done, headers + high flow cat + muffler, I don't want it to be done because I want it to be loud, if being a bit louder because its less restrictive is a byproduct of it allowing higher preformance, then whatever. Diesel is just generally louder because of how it works. And doing stuff like deleting the muffler on a Cummins will allow for some preformance gain, but yes, they are noisey, but they're tough as shit and could pull my apartment off its foundation if it could find grip. The million mile motor = 7.3 powerstroke or 12 valve cummins. 

yeah i'm quite annoyed by the drone our protege makes going down the highway at 70mph in 5th. before we installed a new intake, it wasn't there.

Speaking of exhaust drone on highways.. 

In the city my golf is great on gas. And damn near silent.

But at 100km/h in fifth gear the engine is turning at 3000rpm...

Why not put a damn six speed in it!? 

that's what i ask every time we're on the freeway in our protege. it could have had a 6 speed for better fuel economy too. but our corolla is a 2010 and still has a 4 speed. Pathetic.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

yeah i'm quite annoyed by the drone our protege makes going down the highway at 70mph in 5th. before we installed a new intake, it wasn't there.

that's what i ask every time we're on the freeway in our protege. it could have had a 6 speed for better fuel economy too. but our corolla is a 2010 and still has a 4 speed. Pathetic.

yeah, but the gearing is so tall it doesn't matter. both the Sienna, a 2009, and the Tundra, a 2002, run about 2000-2400RPMS on the freeway, ant they are both 4spd autos.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

Yep my focus is the same way. 72 MPH ~ 115 KPH is 3000 RPM in fifth, really would like a sixth gear. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Yep my focus is the same way. 72 MPH ~ 115 KPH is 3000 RPM in fifth, really would like a sixth gear. 

Its almost like its saying

"You know that petrol i saved for you in the city? Yeah.. I'll just throw that away"

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Sorry guys, i wasnt allowed to take a picture of the 242, heres a picture of Oslo in the nigth instead:

post-188189-0-94305400-1450723020_thumb.

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

Sorry guys, i wasnt allowed to take a picture of the 242, heres a picture of Oslo in the nigth instead:

attachicon.gifIMG_20151221_184149.jpg

I still hate that godawful tunnel you guys have over there. Feels like its going straight down and then back up again.

Makes my ears pop and hurt for ages.. Which can be said for a lot of places in norway. I'm really not used to those kinds of elevation changes.

(The part of sweden i live in is pretty darn flat)

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Ive owned 2 of them 

1937372_1146455434822_7293648_n.jpg?oh=4

one of my dream cars is an AW11. I'm saving up for a mkii supra right now. 

that blue freaking AWESOME

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

3000rpm shouldn't be too loud.

3000rpm shouldn't be too loud.

In a car that is really quiet most of the time it kind of is. And it is a constant drone so it just gets annoying after a while.

The kia cee apostrophe d i rented a while back was a six speed and it was damn near at idle at highway speeds. 

The money i'd save on fuel in a year would be awesome if it was a six speed as well. Or at least geared a bit better 

In a car that is really quiet most of the time it kind of is. And it is a constant drone so it just gets annoying after a while.

The kia cee apostrophe d i rented a while back was a six speed and it was damn near at idle at highway speeds.

The money i'd save on fuel in a year would be awesome if it was a six speed as well. Or at least geared a bit better

isnt there a six speed gear box available for your golf? (Correct me if im wong but i think a 6 speed from a jetta wil bolt on to your golf?)

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

isnt there a six speed gear box available for your golf? (Correct me if im wong but i think a 6 speed from a jetta wil bolt on to your golf?)

My question was more of a "Why even offer the five speed" 

Not going to modify the golf since i don't plan on keeping it for any length of time.

one of my dream cars is an AW11. I'm saving up for a mkii supra right now. 

that blue freaking AWESOME

I plan on buying another after I move and plan on a 2GR swap from a camry with a tvs1320 blower from a Lotus evora A

It's $7.99 and likely available at a local store... why would you try to gerry rig it?

Because the car is a money sink, would like to save where I can?

New plan on the tires.

Keep my 14's with junk all seasons for every-day use. Get some 15's and put 200 treadwear tires onto 2 of them, and put a decent summer tire (like a Dunlop Direzza DZ102) on the other two. Literally will find the cheapest 15" rims that i can find, even if they are all different.

I will use the 15's for Autocross and use my 14's with the junk all seasons every day. 

I think that will net me the most performance per dollar.

Why the two different tires on 15's, I have a FWD car, so I will put semi slicks on front and the direzza's in the back for dry pavement grip and less understeer. And if it's raining, I will put the direzza's up front since they have more grooves for water. Overall I should have a TON of grip for as little money as possible. If the 200 treadwear in the back will help that much even on a FWD car, I would like to know. Because I think i could squeeze in semi slicks on all 4 corners if I needed to. 

My only question is, how many autoX events will 200 treadwear (looking at Direzza ZII star spec's) last me? Here we have 9 per year and the course is pretty small so.. The good tires will NEVER be allowed to touch normal pavement. Just AutoX only. Also if I could get away with worse tires in the back, they would last even longer. 

What do you think @warmmilk , @chaozbandit , @MEC-777 ??

Also, will my car roll over with 200 treadwear tires? pahaha... im getting kinda worried about the amount of body roll lol

Oh and I learned 16's will actually be worse for me in terms of tire choices.. go figure.

on second thought, since you're just starting out you should prolly stay away from ultra sticky tires... I'd say to at least 10 events on UHP or MP tires before moving up to EP.

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

yup, Orion blew up his GS300. I don't understand why you'd just let an engine blow like that though. it would've been fine wth a little tuning. 

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

on second thought, since you're just starting out you should prolly stay away from ultra sticky tires... I'd say to at least 10 events on UHP or MP tires before moving up to EP.

Well I'm thinking of doing UHP now because the EP tires are like double the price. It'll already be way better than my 600 treadwear, gigantic soft sidewall A/S tires. I cannot get MP tires unfortunately in the 15" size.

But which UHP's should I go with? 

Here's my choices:

BF Goodrich Sport COMP-2's

Direzza DZ102's

Firestone Fire Hawk Wide Oval Indy 500 (hmmm I almost don't like these just because of the name lol)

Yokohama S.Drive

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I LOVE RALLYCARS. Plus stage rally has the by-product of training some of the best and most committed drivers in the world. Definitely as accessible at the grassroots level as any autox.

this is not even close to being true.  you can literally take anything to an autox as long as its in decent mechanical condition.  with rally you have to have at least some proper prep for the rally and it needs to be a car you don't mind killing.  and I'm not saying in case you wreck (although your chances of wrecking go up exponentially at a rally vs autox), just in general going race pace (even grass roots race pace) is a sh*t ton of abuse on your car.  rally is by far the most abusive thing you can do to your car short of a demolition derby.

not to mention events are far and few in between.  for example there are 3-4 locations for autox in my state.  other then the annual Rally America event in WA, the closest rally event to me is in Oregon, different state, and thats a rally cross, not a stage rally.  And thats still relatively close.  

That being said, rally cars are the f*cking sh*t!  if there were rally cross events closer to me I'd definitely have a beater by now just for that...

Manual is fun but only in non congested areas. To me it was very aggravating.

only in stop and go traffic, everything else I prefer a manual...  especially in any low power/torque car

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Well I'm thinking of doing UHP now because the EP tires are like double the price. It'll already be way better than my 600 treadwear, gigantic soft sidewall A/S tires. I cannot get MP tires unfortunately in the 15" size.

But which UHP's should I go with? 

Here's my choices:

BF Goodrich Sport COMP-2's

Direzza DZ102's

Firestone Fire Hawk Wide Oval Indy 500 (hmmm I almost don't like these just because of the name lol)

Yokohama S.Drive

out of those I'd go with the BFG's

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=192

see if the Bstone is available in the size you need

I have the BFG's on the front of my BMW (gonna get rears to match once I get my TMPS issue figured out) and I put them on the RSX before I sold it to my sister.  they're pretty sticky for a UHP tire... stickier then the supposed MP Pirelli PZero's on my Mustang...

out of those I'd go with the BFG's

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=192

see if the Bstone is available in the size you need

I have the BFG's on the front of my BMW (gonna get rears to match once I get my TMPS issue figured out) and I put them on the RSX before I sold it to my sister.  they're pretty sticky for a UHP tire... stickier then the supposed MP Pirelli PZero's on my Mustang...

Well that certainly solves it. I'll get these and some 15" steelies or whatever I can find. I can actually get new steelies for $160 on ebay (4 of them) but going to look around junkyard first. I have an airbag I need to get rid of so maybe I can use that to barter lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

This person. They always are tailgating everyone. Every time they are behind me I try to get away from them because they just sit on your bumper. Well apparently today it finally caught up with them because they crashed into my mom lol. Wasn't hard if you can't tell but I'm still kind of annoyed. People need to learn how to drive

fa3851c5cdee3f4095fe806c9d86dc00.jpg

Just glad I don't have to fix that myself lol and that it wasn't a hard crash

Spoiler

This person. They always are tailgating everyone. Every time they are behind me I try to get away from them because they just sit on your bumper. Well apparently today it finally caught up with them because they crashed into my mom lol. Wasn't hard if you can't tell but I'm still kind of annoyed. People need to learn how to drive

Just glad I don't have to fix that myself lol

too bad they didn't total their truck, tough i guess that would have been a lot worse on your mom too.